any reason NOT to get my catalytic converter etched through my local police dept

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
arcticpineapplecorp.

any reason NOT to get my catalytic converter etched through my local police dept

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

My municipality is hosting a catalytic converter theft prevention (2nd annual) first come first serve for 4 hours. It's done in conjunction with the police department and will be done at the Public Works Garage. It's free of charge. This is an attempt to reduce the number of catalytic converters stolen and resold.

They etch the vin number into the catalytic converter to reduce the likelihood of being resold and/or to report to police.

I'm planning on going tomorrow morning to have this done.

Is there any reason NOT to do this? (i.e., can they accidentally screw anything up??) My car is not one of the desired cars thieves are stealing (see below), but I have a Saturn and since they're not making these cars anymore perhaps there is a desire for parts??
The event is free of charge and open to the public. A team of men and women from the ___________ City Bureau of Police and City of ________ Public Works will work together to have Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) etched onto the catalytic converters of participating vehicles. Catalytic Converters are known to contain some precious and valuable materials and are a frequent target of theft among the criminal element. We have observed a recent uptick in thefts of Catalytic Converters in both the City of __________ and ____________ County. Having your VIN etched onto this valuable auto part is a deterrent against theft and makes it nearly impossible for thieves to re-sell those stolen parts. The process of etching the VIN should only take 10-15 minutes once your car is into the garage and up on a lift. This is a first come, first served event, no appointment necessary. Some vehicle types are more commonly victimized for this type of theft. They include Honda Pilot, Honda Element, and Toyota Prius. Come on out, meet some of the amazing staff and detectives who work hard to keep our City safe!
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Tigermoose

Re: any reason NOT to get my catalytic converter etched through my local police dept

Post by Tigermoose »

It depends. Do you have any outstanding warrants issued for your arrest? :D
Institutions matter
Marseille07

Re: any reason NOT to get my catalytic converter etched through my local police dept

Post by Marseille07 »

Since it is free, go for it. I personally don't think it is much of a deterrent. The organized crime ring doesn't care if there's a VIN etched or not: https://www.torquenews.com/8113/toyotas ... stop-theft
Last edited by Marseille07 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

Just a waste of time. But something must be done!
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

First, I don’t think thieves and their buyers care about whatever you want to etch on your cat. converter. Second, converters are not brand specific for Saturn. So, if you are one of the very very very unlucky souls to have your converter stolen, they can weld in a new one pretty easy.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

No. Sounds good in theory, but the shops can etch that etching right off.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

The only reason I can think of, other than your time, is that it might look kind of crappy. This sort of theft has never even crossed my mind and I doubt that it occurs in any meaningful frequency where I live. The risk that I perceive is so low that even cosmetic issues in a really obscure location on the vehicle would deter me from having this etching done.

Last edited by hi_there on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bampf

Post by bampf »

No reason not to, but, more importantly why bother?

From NPR:
At scrap metal processor AB CatTech in Burlington, Wis., workers are operating two guillotine-like shearing machines that slice open about 2,000 converters that arrive from legitimate suppliers around the country every day. The machine also breaks down the precious metals into what's almost baby powder consistency to be shipped to a refinery. Owner Brad Redmer says if you come here trying to sell catalytic converters, be prepared for some scrutiny.
They steal them for the precious metal. They get scrapped. Absolutely certain that a vin wont matter when they destroy them for the metal.
Nescio
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A family member had a thick metal plate installed over their converter. It’s like putting a Club on your steering wheel. The thief will see it and move on to the next victim.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

lucky_tech_guy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:37 pm Just a waste of time. But something must be done!
Ya if only we had cars which ran on batteries or something. Damn…
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Depends on the prevalence of this type of crime where you park your car.

Where I park mine (my garage) the crime rate is zero.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I also doubt that the etching would deter thieves who want only the precious metals. However, I don't think that alone is a reason to not do it, since the risk reduction is floored at zero (it will not increase your risk).
starboi

Post by starboi »

The theives don't re-sell the cat. They extract the metals from it and melt it down.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

bi0hazard wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:38 pm First, I don’t think thieves and their buyers care about whatever you want to etch on your cat. converter. Second, converters are not brand specific for Saturn. So, if you are one of the very very very unlucky souls to have your converter stolen, they can weld in a new one pretty easy.
The shape, size, metal content are all different, not just the make / model but even the generation of a car (like Prius 2nd gen vs 3rd gen). Also, once the cat is stolen the owner has to dish out 3000~4000 to get a new one installed. This whole ordeal isn't easy at all.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Another reason for going electric! :sharebeer
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I don’t see any reason not to do it, but I also don’t see a reason to do it, either. It won’t stop the thieves. This kind of thing is why we all have insurance. Also why I’m glad the motorhome is parked in my backyard (motorhomes in storage are a big target for this issue).
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Waste of time. Buy a cage if you are concerned.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

02nz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:59 pm Another reason for going electric! :sharebeer
Next they'll be stealing batteries!!!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:17 pm
02nz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:59 pm Another reason for going electric! :sharebeer
Next to impossible, much easier to steel catalytic converters.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

starboi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 pm The theives don't re-sell the cat. They extract the metals from it and melt it down.
It seems like quite the non-trivial process. Interesting vid for those of us who have an appreciation of chemistry.
Fellow doing it seems to be a very competent "backyard chemist"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHStZrQ ... ody%27sLab
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

02nz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:17 pm
Next to impossible, much easier to steel catalytic converters.
Or steal the whole car... :shock:
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

There was a headline article in my local newspaper today about these thefts. However, I agree with most posters above that etching the VIN on there is not going to accomplish anything.

Perhaps instead have them etch, "Beware of the Smith & Wesson behind you right now!"
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:55 pm
bi0hazard wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:38 pm First, I don’t think thieves and their buyers care about whatever you want to etch on your cat. converter. Second, converters are not brand specific for Saturn. So, if you are one of the very very very unlucky souls to have your converter stolen, they can weld in a new one pretty easy.
The shape, size, metal content are all different, not just the make / model but even the generation of a car (like Prius 2nd gen vs 3rd gen). Also, once the cat is stolen the owner has to dish out 3000~4000 to get a new one installed. This whole ordeal isn't easy at all.
The original cat doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t . Price for new is about a hundred bucks , plus welding/minor pipe fabrication fees , unless it’s a bolt on.
Last edited by bi0hazard on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If a Tesla battery just "happened" to end up in my scrap pile, I do have an eScrap yard who buys lead acid and lithium ion batteries, so it would bring a heck of a lot more than a silly catalytic converter. A bit harder to carry. They aren't actually all that hard to remove from the car if you jack one side up a couple feet.

To the OP....go ahead and get it etched. It won't hurt anything. It'll make the thieves spend another 10 seconds with an $18 harbor freight grinder to remove the VIN. But I'm all for making it harder for thieves.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
squirm

Post by squirm »

I don't understand how this is going prevent a theft. Perhaps if it's recovered there a possibility it might find it's way back to you.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Seems like security theater to me. Enables the town and police department to tell voters they are doing something but they are doing it on their terms and timeline in their location with no effect rather than being out patrolling the streets and parking lots in wee hours of the night when the crime is happening.
mkc

Post by mkc »

It's a big problem here in our area of Tennessee. I can't see how VIN etching will deter it, though. The thefts are occurring even after passing new laws requiring scrap metal buyers get and keep copies of drivers licenses and contact info for anyone bringing in a cat for the $.
Topic Author
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

thanks for your thoughts/explanations. so basically windowdressing. good to know.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Peace of mind
Price?
Free
If you have the time and it’s not much trouble.

Why not to:
If you don’t have the time and it would be inconvenient to take the car to etch.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

bi0hazard wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 pm
The original cat doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t . Price for new is about a hundred bucks , plus welding/minor pipe fabrication fees , unless it’s a bolt on.
Looked it up at AutoZone for my 2009 Honda Element in California. $1,314.99 plus welding/minor pipe fabrication fees, not including O2 sensor. Ouch.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

TimeRunner wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:34 pm
Looked it up at AutoZone for my 2009 Honda Element in California. $1,314.99 plus welding/minor pipe fabrication fees, not including O2 sensor. Ouch.
Too bad you don't live in Nevada. Then you could pick one up for $204.99 from Autozone.
Universal Federal Catalytic Converter 99354HM --- https://www.autozone.com/emission-contr ... 275054_0_0
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Super, you found a really expensive one. I didn’t say they don’t get pricey . I swapped in a $1900 high performance HJS cat into my bmw , but for purposes of this topic, we’re gonna shoot for the cheapest possible universal cat converter. Very quick search yields a $89.95 49 state converter, and $210.29 California converter at Walmart. The aim here is to pass inspection and not have “check engine light” come on, once you replace your stolen equipment. :sharebeer
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:28 pm My municipality is hosting a catalytic converter theft prevention (2nd annual) first come first serve for 4 hours. It's done in conjunction with the police department and will be done at the Public Works Garage. It's free of charge. This is an attempt to reduce the number of catalytic converters stolen and resold.

They etch the vin number into the catalytic converter to reduce the likelihood of being resold and/or to report to police.

I'm planning on going tomorrow morning to have this done.

Is there any reason NOT to do this? (i.e., can they accidentally screw anything up??) My car is not one of the desired cars thieves are stealing (see below), but I have a Saturn and since they're not making these cars anymore perhaps there is a desire for parts??
The event is free of charge and open to the public. A team of men and women from the ___________ City Bureau of Police and City of ________ Public Works will work together to have Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) etched onto the catalytic converters of participating vehicles. Catalytic Converters are known to contain some precious and valuable materials and are a frequent target of theft among the criminal element. We have observed a recent uptick in thefts of Catalytic Converters in both the City of __________ and ____________ County. Having your VIN etched onto this valuable auto part is a deterrent against theft and makes it nearly impossible for thieves to re-sell those stolen parts. The process of etching the VIN should only take 10-15 minutes once your car is into the garage and up on a lift. This is a first come, first served event, no appointment necessary. Some vehicle types are more commonly victimized for this type of theft. They include Honda Pilot, Honda Element, and Toyota Prius. Come on out, meet some of the amazing staff and detectives who work hard to keep our City safe!
Yes, if you have anything to do, at all.

If you have nothing at all to do and you are completely board, go for it.
Last edited by Trader Joe on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Around here we’re having a lot of catalytic converter thefts, and unfortunately it’s been tough for people to get replacements quickly; somebody today reported a back order of a month. I’m looking into getting a shield bolted on, since I have a highly targeted car; since the thieves have been using a Sawzall it won’t stop them if they’re determined, but maybe it’ll move them on to a softer target.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:40 pm thanks for your thoughts/explanations. so basically windowdressing. good to know.
Maybe you can ask them to install a gps tracker on it instead?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Waste of time and effort. Vin etching in mild steel can be scratched out in 2 minutes with a file, grinder, etc.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:43 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:40 pm thanks for your thoughts/explanations. so basically windowdressing. good to know.
Maybe you can ask them to install a gps tracker on it instead?
Or an Apple AirTag. But probably it wouldn’t withstand the heat. Those things get hot.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:28 pm Is there any reason NOT to do this? (i.e., can they accidentally screw anything up??) My car is not one of the desired cars thieves are stealing (see below), but I have a Saturn and since they're not making these cars anymore perhaps there is a desire for parts??
No, they won't mess anything up but that etching can be covered up with a battery powered grinder in seconds.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Former cop, retired DA here.

The only reason I can think of NOT to have it etched is just the time and fuel you'll waste driving there and waiting while it is done. It won't slow down the criminals who steal catalytic converters in the least. In the event yours is stolen, the likelihood that the etched number would have any impact on any investigation and/or recovery is less than your chance of willing a $500 million Powerball drawing.

I remember when VIN etching of windows was the big deal. In my thirty-five years in public safety, I saw no evidence that VIN etching of windows had any impact on crime prevention, detection, apprehension or prosecution.

But if you want to be a good citizen and take some coffee and doughnuts to the cops and city workers that will be there and thank them for their service while your VIN is being etched, I'm sure they would appreciate it and enjoy meeting you. It never hurts to develop good relationships with the men and women in blue.
wander

Post by wander »

I think it's a waste of time too.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

bi0hazard wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:28 pm
Super, you found a really expensive one. I didn’t say they don’t get pricey . I swapped in a $1900 high performance HJS cat into my bmw , but for purposes of this topic, we’re gonna shoot for the cheapest possible universal cat converter. Very quick search yields a $89.95 49 state converter, and $210.29 California converter at Walmart. The aim here is to pass inspection and not have “check engine light” come on, once you replace your stolen equipment. :sharebeer
If the prices as you say are in that low range, exactly how much could these thieves be getting from stealing a catalytic converter? Does not seem worth I to me.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

I would not do this as my cars are garage kept. Also on the current generation (SPA/CMA) Volvo’s the cat is way up by the engine block, not easily accessible without removing a lot of stuff. I wouldn’t trust anyone but Volvo to do such a thing but then again I’ve never heard of a stolen cat from a Volvo either.
furiouschads

Post by furiouschads »

This is a time-wasting PR exercise done by police departments all over the country. Somebody under your car cutting off the cat is not going to back off because he/she sees etching. The thievery exercise is lickety-split.

This etching thing is marketed to police departments as a prepackaged way to engage their communities. Think of all the taxpayer resources spent on planning this, talking about it, managing the line of cars coming to the garage, getting cars on lifts.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. --Charles Addams. #613 in 2022 BH prediction contest. #42 in 2023. Not that I am keeping track.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:52 am
But if you want to be a good citizen and take some coffee and doughnuts to the cops and city workers that will be there and thank them for their service while your VIN is being etched, I'm sure they would appreciate it and enjoy meeting you. It never hurts to develop good relationships with the men and women in blue.
This seems like a good reason though the food choices are a little stereotypical 😳
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

tenkuky wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:36 am
This seems like a good reason though the food choices are a little stereotypical 😳
True but there is a reason for that....most of us current and former LEOs enjoy coffee and doughnuts! Particularly if they are donated by a thoughtful citizen or business. I still miss those huge cups of 7-Eleven and Dunkin Donuts coffee that I consumed during my night shift days.

But I'm sure that something like breakfast sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, Hardees or McDonalds along with that piping hot coffee would be equally appreciated by all! :D
Papago

Post by Papago »

Perhaps you should not interfere with Darwin's theories / survival of the fittest... In all seriousness, just park your care somewhere safe / well-lit, and I would think you'd have little trouble from these bums.

"A Moore County man reported missing in June was found dead underneath a vehicle near Rockingham on Tuesday.

"Officials said Danny Joe Bxxxx Jr., 35, died after being pinned down by a Dodge Stratus in the 1600 block of Sandhill Game Management Road, a rural area in Ellerbe. Bxxxx is believed to have been in the process of illegally removing a catalytic converter from the car. [ :oops: ]

“'It appears the male was attempting to remove the catalytic converter from underneath a car and the jack collapsed causing the car to pin him underneath,” Maj. Jay Childers of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a statement shared with The Pilot. “It appeared by the condition of the body that the male had been there for several weeks.'”

https://www.thepilot.com/news/missing-m ... eb5b2.html
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:45 am
tenkuky wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:36 am
True but there is a reason for that....most of us current and former LEOs enjoy coffee and doughnuts! Particularly if they are donated by a thoughtful citizen or business. I still miss those huge cups of 7-Eleven and Dunkin Donuts coffee that I consumed during my night shift days.

But I'm sure that something like breakfast sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, Hardees or McDonalds along with that piping hot coffee would be equally appreciated by all! :D
I will remember that. Thanks!
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

This is an edge case, but if you're the diy type that would part out their own car at the end of its life :moneybag, you're likely going to have to show paperwork to prove it's your etched cat.

The cat thefts in my city are almost always in apartment complexes at night.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

So if it only cost $100 to get a replacement, how much money could a thief possibly get from a shady scrap metal shop for the precious metal to justify the work/risk? Am I missing something?

bi0hazard wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:28 pm
fposte

Post by fposte »

Papago wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 am Perhaps you should not interfere with Darwin's theories / survival of the fittest... In all seriousness, just park your care somewhere safe / well-lit, and I would think you'd have little trouble from these bums.
My personal concern isn't the parking at home but elsewhere, especially overnight parking in big city lots. Thefts have happened here to cars in Walmart parking, for instance.