Board games

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Boglegirl81

Board games

Post by Boglegirl81 »

We’ve had a rainy camping trip and have spent more time than usual inside our travel trailer playing games and doing a jigsaw puzzle. I have Scattergories and Bananagrams already, but I’d love suggestions for new games we can play! It would usually be two players, but sometimes we do group camping where we have more players.
sailaway

Re: Board games

Post by sailaway »

These are some of our two person standbys:

Dragonwood
Travel Ingenious - err, just rechecked and currently selling for a ridiculous price
Catan (don't play with my husband, he has an uncanny ability to roll a 7: 3x as often as me one time we counted. Twice as often as the other players put together another time)
Seven Wonders (comes with instructions to make it a two player game)

In addition to those, my family plays dominoes and zilch/farkle at every opportunity. The group has recently added on the card game Golf, but I don't think we could have made that work at the RV table. We did manage double 15 dominoes, though, so you know, if you set your mind to it. We also played a lot of Kings Corners in the RV (Mom and I will also play this together).

My husband took a sailing trip with friends a couple of years ago and they played stacks, but it doesn't work at all for 2. Unfortunately, he didn't realize this until after we tried, so we now own a bazillion dice and I still haven't played the game for more than 1 minute.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Wingspan, Dominion (and its multitude of expansions), Res Arcana. 7 Wonders is excellent for 3+.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Phase 10, Low Down, Blockus and Ticket to Ride are the favorites in our house right now.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

A lot of the suggestions above take a lot of table space and probably wouldnt be good for a travel trailer.

Look at the tiny epic game series. We have galaxies and tactics, bothe are pretty fun for 2 people.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:14 pm A lot of the suggestions above take a lot of table space and probably wouldnt be good for a travel trailer.

Look at the tiny epic game series. We have galaxies and tactics, bothe are pretty fun for 2 people.
Good point. Of the games I suggested, Res Arcana doesn't take up much space, although I'm not familiar with your recommendations.

Many of the games I recommended reward repeat playing with people who understand the rules, moreso than games like Scattergories or Bananagrams.
Watty

Post by Watty »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:14 pm A lot of the suggestions above take a lot of table space and probably wouldnt be good for a travel trailer.
That was my thought too, but they mentioned doing jigsaw puzzles so they may have spaces.

They are oldies but cribbage and backgammon are worth considering for two people and they work well outside on a picnic table if you are having a campfire. Check out thrift stores for inexpensive backgammon boards.

If you have the table space Carcassonne would be good for a small group. They have lots of expansion packs but you can pretty much ignore those.

With any of the games an easy way to learn it is to watch a YouTube video and you may want to watch a video of the game before you buy it to see if you want to buy it or not.
Last edited by Watty on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

In the motorhome, we carry two decks of cards, a cribbage board, a travel scrabble set, a checkers/chess/backgammon set, and a copy of Hoyle’s Rules of Games. We play a lot of cribbage.

I think we might also have some dominoes, but I think a few of the dominoes got stuck under the slide when i slammed on the brakes once and the box went flying. We haven’t played dominoes in awhile.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

For 2 (or 3) Sequence. Need a table. It is just as good for 2 as 3 people.

For 3 or 4, Rummyque (tile game) lots of name variations. You can still get the vintage game (70s) from eBay.

Already mentioned, but I am a fan of Blokus too. We play with 2 people and both of us have 2 sets of colors - so it is like playing with 4.

Heads up - need 3 or more

Already mentioned, Scattergories - 3 or more.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Really like the Forbidden Island series. In particular Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. They are collaborative games where the goal is to find some hidden objects and make it to the exit before time runs out. Not too complicated and good for small groups. If you have fewer players, can adjust the difficulty.

Agree with runner3081 that Ticket to Ride is pretty fun. Also not too complicated. Players build railroads in North America. They are variants for Europe and elsewhere.

If you are into card games, Splendor is pretty fun. Rules are fairly straightforward. Basically about pattern matching and scoring points.

Parks is a pretty fun card game. Basically you are hikers and go to different national parks.

Canvas is also good. Collect different cards and combine them together to make paintings. They are scored based on matching different criteria selected at the beginning of the game.

Liars dice or the card variant Liars poker are pretty straightforward to run. Can do without additional supplies.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Ticket To Ride

Sequence (as Recommended by Bill Barrett!) is also good, and relatively quick.

Both good for replayability and (almost) all ages.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

tomsense76 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 am Really like the Forbidden Island series. In particular Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. They are collaborative games where the goal is to find some hidden objects and make it to the exit before time runs out. Not too complicated and good for small groups. If you have fewer players, can adjust the difficulty.

Agree with runner3081 that Ticket to Ride is pretty fun. Also not too complicated. Players build railroads in North America. They are variants for Europe and elsewhere.

If you are into card games, Splendor is pretty fun. Rules are fairly straightforward. Basically about pattern matching and scoring points.

Parks is a pretty fun card game. Basically you are hikers and go to different national parks.

Canvas is also good. Collect different cards and combine them together to make paintings. They are scored based on matching different criteria selected at the beginning of the game.

Liars dice or the card variant Liars poker are pretty straightforward to run. Can do without additional supplies.
I will second the forbidden series and Splendor is one of my all time favorites. Both of these don’t need much space. Forbidden games are co-op, splendor is versus.
We also really enjoy Carcassone and it’s expansions but that needs a lot of space as the board grows as tiles are placed.
Pandemic is fun and was recently on sale at Amazon for $16 for the base game, the board needs space but not a ton. It is co-op.
Folks already mentioned many other favorites like 7 wonders, Catan, etc.
Recently got a game called “ghost fighting treasure hunters” and it has been fun too. Also co-op
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Hard to beat cribbage, backgammon, and checkers.

All seem rather simple until one goes up against a good player.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I like Azul
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Cribbage, Sequence, Uno, Phase 10, Golf, Hearts, Pinochle (card games). I haven't played pinochle for a while so can't recall if 4 players are needed.
A Random Fellow

Post by A Random Fellow »

Top games that come to mind:

Jaipur
Tides of Time
7 Wonders Duel (or regular is excellent as well for 3 or more players)
Parks (saw this recommended above...excellent choice)
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

For two players the best games are:

Chess
Go

Everything else I’ve played seems to be vastly improved by having 3-4 players.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

My family have tried out a lot of new games over the years and I think our favorite, by far, is Blokus. Easy enough that our (then 4 year old) could play along, but strategic enough that everyone wanted another shot at perfection. Great game.

Also, for a fun twist on turn-based card games like Uno, check out Exploding Kittens.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Good two player games:

Jaipur
Patchwork
Paris City of Light (similar to Patchwork, so I’d pick 1 or the other — this is a little more advanced)
Brass Birmingham (this is an advanced game)
Castles of Burgundy (advanced)

Good 3/4 person games:

Survive
Mansions of Madness (not good for camping, requires an iPad or TV screen). This is one of, if not my favorite game and I own many expansions
Power Grid
Ticket to Ride

Good group games 6-10 people (7/8 is sweet spot IMO)

Secret Hitler — my favorite group game
Avalon
Werewolf: One Night (SH and Avalon are better, but this doesn’t take as long to play)
Last edited by Jags4186 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Kahuna--very fun two-player game. Compact, too.
By Kosmos, $25.

Ingenious (Reiner Knizia).

Agree with Ticket to Ride and Carcassone.
Settlers of Catan and Pandemic for when friends come over!

If you're looking for something less heavy-duty than Pandemic, you could get a pretty mancala set. And the "Mystery Rummy" games (Al Capone, Jekyll & Hyde, etc) are fun if you find a theme that catches your interest.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Another vote for Cribbage, which is more fun than it has any right to be. And with that same deck of cards you've got other classics like Hearts, Gin Rummy, Crazy 8s, etc.

One tip is to download an app for one of these games onto your phone/tablet if you don't already know how to play it. Much easier to learn by going a few practice rounds against the computer than by trying to decipher the rules and game flow yourself. Especially for Cribbage, which really needs to be demonstrated more than explained.

For board games, I also agree with Backgammon, which offers a great blend of luck and skill, and supports handicaps if the players differ greatly in skill level. (There's a reason the game has been around, in some form, for literally thousands of years.) There are tons of inexpensive travel sets, some of which have a chess/checkers board on the back and come with pieces for all three games.

Yahtzee is also a good, portable skill/luck game that works for all ages (it's how I first learned what a "Full House" and "Straight" was!)

Scrabble, but only if you also pick up the Scrabble dictionary to settle the inevitable allowed/not-allowed arguments. The standard board takes up a lot of space, but there are more compact travel editions available.

For a more modern/commercial family board game, I'll highly recommend "Taboo".
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Over the summer I played a lot of The Game of Life, Skip-Bo, and Uno with the granddaughters. All three are old games, for sure.

DW and grandsons worked on puzzles.

It was kinda nice, sans electronics.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Even if you don’t play cribbage, having a cribbage board can also be useful for keeping score on other games.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Five Crowns
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

A deck of cards has unlimited possibilities (cribbage and rummy are good ones), but our go to 2 player games are:

Railroad ink (super compact, so great for a trailer and fun with more than 2 players as well)
That's So Clever (also compact)
Splendor
Dominion (if you like deck building games)

We love Ticket to Ride, but it isnt as fun with 2 players in our experience. I wont play Catan or Carcassonne with just DH, but will happily play them with my 7 yo :-)
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

There's so many solid games designed and optimized for 2 players out there, with all sorts of play styles and experiences. I second Jags4186 earlier recommendation of Patchwork. Really fun, solid two player game. My partner and I have a closet full of two player games, and this one still gets taken out regularly, even after we've collected many more new games since purchasing it. And Patchwork is great for people who like puzzles! :D Packs up small for traveling too.

The other two player game my partner and I consistently come back to is Morels. It's mushrooms/outdoors themed, so always gets taken with us when we travel. Goal is to collect mushrooms and cook them up. Sounds simple enough, but has a lot of strategy, and because it's a card game it plays different every time. Very re-playable. Also packs up light!

Another great game for 2 players that scales up to 4 players is Kingdomino. It's small, both in the size of box and space required to play, so good for travel. Don't be fooled by the age suggestion (8+). Like some games, it's a different game when players are good at it, but with rules that are simple enough for kids to pick it up too. Boardgame geek says it only takes 15 minutes to play, but the better players get at it, the more strategic and longer it can take.

Don't forget about games played with a 52 card deck. Basra is a clever game with lots of variations from different parts of the world. It's good with two players, and scales up to 2 teams of 4. Having played most of the regional variations, I prefer the Egyptian version best.

Happy gaming!

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I second a cribbage board and a deck of cards along with Hoyles rules for playing card games. With these three simple things, there are so many different games you can play and it takes up very little space. When we go on a cruise or should I say when we went on cruises, these were our go to items.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Just curious, do any cribbage players say these phrases when counting?
"Two and that will do"
"Four and there ain't no more"
..etc
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Iorek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:32 amI like Azul
+1

I came here to say Azul.

Others that we have liked have been Blokus, Ticket to Ride, Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle (cooperative), Ingenious, Carcassonne.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

For a small 2-player card game, I really love The Fox in the Forest. I think it's one of the best 2-player trick-taking games. Carcassonne is a phenomenal light but competitive game that works well at 2 and higher player counts. There are plenty of great 2-player games, but I imagine your travel trailer doesn't have the largest of tables, so it's probably somewhat limiting for larger board games. The Forbidden series previously mentioned and Pandemic don't take up too much space, if co-op is your thing.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Board Game Geek has reviews and discussions on all the games.
tioscrooge

Post by tioscrooge »

Boglegirl81 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:22 pm We’ve had a rainy camping trip and have spent more time than usual inside our travel trailer playing games and doing a jigsaw puzzle. I have Scattergories and Bananagrams already, but I’d love suggestions for new games we can play! It would usually be two players, but sometimes we do group camping where we have more players.
Pandemic is an excellent game which is collaborative. Two people can play, but you can also play with four players, when it is even more fun. If you have a study group of players, then pandemic legacy season 1, 2 and 0 are our favorite strategy games
Whether you think you can or you can not, you will be correct.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Good recs above. Unstable unicorns is a fun game to play with 2 or more. Easy to get out and play quickly.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

It's fun to see some others that have enjoyed some of the games I like.

Here's a few to consider, with some repeats from other posts:
Forbidden Island (Cooperative game)
Codenames
Pandemic (You could say it was ahead of it's time. Cooperative game)
Clank! (Probably one of my favorite games now)
Carcassonne

I like the idea of games that you are striving in parallel with other players towards victory instead of only advancing in the losses of others. Lots of good options out there, I get most of my games by recommendation, so thanks to all who are sharing their favorites.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

How has nobody said Risk? Risk! Only the best board game of all time. There's nothing like a friendly round of total and complete world domination. Pssst: Australia is the key.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Monopoly
The Game of Life

Great practice for real life.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

Before we had a baby, we used to do a board game night with friends once a week. There are so many games that I'd like to recommend, but some of the best board game experiences I've ever had were playing Betrayal at House on the Hill. The game mechanics are fun, and can create a big variety of different scenarios for you and your friends to react to. We had a couple friends who did standup, and it was always super entertaining having everyone riff on the story that was unfolding in the game.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

In a pinch, it doesn't get simpler than dots and boxes.
mffl

Post by mffl »

I think there's really three distinct eras of board games.

There's the classic games, which are great because they've endured for centuries or millennia (survivorship bias of course, but the ones that remain are timeless). Chess, go, and many of the older card games. Cribbage, as an example, dates to the 1600s.

Then came the "Monopoly" era where board games were popular and sold tons of copies and the whole thing became very commercialized (1930s to 1980s). Frankly, as much nostalgia as we may attach to them, and as much time as we spent playing them as kids, and as much fun as we had, these board games were... bad. Like, terrible. Monopoly is a terrible game. The Game of Life is horrid. And I played it countless times. These games are just not very well thought out, don't offer much in terms of strategy, aren't well balanced, have holes in the rules, and often go on interminably. Risk, I love risk, I played it 1000 times. It's not a good game though. It gives you a taste of an aura of a penumbra of what could be a good game, but it's just not a good game. We were not well served growing up, but it's all we had.

Then came 1995. Settlers of Catan was one of the first games of a new era. And it took until maybe 2005-2008 or so for this new era to really kick off. "Board games" these days are nothing like what we had growing up, and I think many people think of Monopoly when they think of board games, they're like nah and they'd just rather play Hearts or something. A board game today is a totally different class of thing. There's still good games and bad games of course, and it's probably both unfair and shortsighted to compare any of this new era of games to Chess and the like. But anyone who is reading, if you haven't tasted games from this new era, take 2-3 of the suggested games, read about them to see which might be most up your alley (boardgamegeek.com is a great resource as another poster mentioned), and give them a shot. Like, a real shot. Not just try it once, but really push through it and see if you can catch the bug. These games are more complex -- deeper, yet still approachable if you give them a chance -- more balanced, more replayable, way more creative, and more fun.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I'd echo Dominion, Carcassonne, and Splendor.

I wish all these games existed when I was younger!

I'll also give a shout out to Scotland Yard (1983) as ahead of its time and more like the new era than the one that preceded it, but things really got going after Settlers of Catan (1995).

Anyway, any of you who like board games, or who like games but not board games, this is the golden age of board games. Try a few of these games out.
wunderkind

Post by wunderkind »

Many good recommendations. I’ll add Hive to the list.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

For 2: Patchwork

3+: Agricola, Dominion
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

We like Morels a lot.
sailaway wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 pm My husband took a sailing trip with friends a couple of years ago and they played stacks, but it doesn't work at all for 2. Unfortunately, he didn't realize this until after we tried, so we now own a bazillion dice and I still haven't played the game for more than 1 minute.
With those dice you can also play Liar's Dice, but that's also best to start with more than 2 people. (One person per die color, ideally.)

Marylander1
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Lost Cities, San Juan, and Dominion are all good and pretty compact games with two players. If you like more complexity Race for the Galaxy is a favorite 2 player game of mine.

Does the camp ground have wifi? If so and if you don't mind playing games online with each other, boardgamearena.com has implementations of lots of board games that I enjoy (and played with friends during pandemic).
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Kagord wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:49 pm Just curious, do any cribbage players say these phrases when counting?
"Two and that will do"
"Four and there ain't no more"
..etc
I learned from a couple of Canadian brothers, and their favorite phrase was, "Sticka fark in ya, ya'r done!"
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Yahtzee was the default game in the campers for 20 years no matter the ages or number. Trying out Chess now.
Regards | Bob
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

How about:

- Rummikub (you can get the game - ours has a nice travel case), or use the game rules with 2 decks of cards)
- Quiddler

Both are for 2-4 people.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

Shorty wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am For 2: Patchwork

I love Agricola, but was hesitant to recommend it as it requires a level of brain power that we struggle to have at the end of the day after kids are asleep! My husband would joke that it is very much like life... so much to do and so little time. Awesome game though.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Ha ha! wait until you see the expansion pack complexity - my wife won’t play. Very fun game.

Patchwork takes the cake for 2 people.
phinanciallyfit wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:21 pm

I love Agricola, but was hesitant to recommend it as it requires a level of brain power that we struggle to have at the end of the day after kids are asleep! My husband would joke that it is very much like life... so much to do and so little time. Awesome game though.
John Z

Post by John Z »

Balderdash! Haven't played it in years but when we did it was always totally hilarious because you had to mix phony definitions with the real definition for people to guess.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Shorty wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:57 pm Ha ha! wait until you see the expansion pack complexity - my wife won’t play. Very fun game.

Patchwork takes the cake for 2 people.
phinanciallyfit wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:21 pm

For me, the issues with agricola are space (the choosing board, plus individual boards, plus cards and tokens....) and the length of time for set up and putting it away. I guess that time could be a plus when whiling away a rainy day, though.