How Long For CC Refund

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

How Long For CC Refund

Post by DTalos »

I made a purchase on Amazon and paid for the order with both an Amazon gift card and a credit card. The order was returned to Amazon as undeliverable and they issued me a refund on the portion of the order that I paid with a gift card and then processed the remaining refund balance as a credit to the credit card. Amazon indicated that credit card refunds take 3-5 business days. I logged-in to my credit card account online and didn't see any pending credit. I know it's only been 2 business days, but shouldn't I be at least seeing a pending credit by now on my credit card account online?
Silk McCue

Re: How Long For CC Refund

Post by Silk McCue »

My advice is don’t sweat this. Highly likely it will appear shortly. If it doesn’t in a few days reach out to Amazon and they will make it right.

Cheers
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

DTalos wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 pm I made a purchase on Amazon and paid for the order with both an Amazon gift card and a credit card. The order was returned to Amazon as undeliverable and they issued me a refund on the portion of the order that I paid with a gift card and then processed the remaining refund balance as a credit to the credit card. Amazon indicated that credit card refunds take 3-5 business days. I logged-in to my credit card account online and didn't see any pending credit. I know it's only been 2 business days, but shouldn't I be at least seeing a pending credit by now on my credit card account online?
Not necessarily.

Unfortunately, although charges usually show up very promptly on one's statement, credits often do not. That could take up to a couple of weeks, although it's often much sooner.
It was worse in the past. Nowadays, it isn't usually that much longer for the credit to appear. I definitely wouldn't worry if it's just a couple of days.

IF it's an amount that causes any difficulty in paying, etc., then in some cases you can call the card vendor and arrange for a temporary credit so that at least you don't have to pay that amount and then have a credit balance when you might not be charging that much again for a while.

And yes, that asymmetry is annoying... :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

3 days to infinity
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

According to Amazon, a return I did was refunded to the CC on 7/14. As of today 7/21, there is no credit showing at the CC. I'll wait a few more days before contacting Amazon.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

DTalos wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 pm I made a purchase on Amazon and paid for the order with both an Amazon gift card and a credit card. The order was returned to Amazon as undeliverable and they issued me a refund on the portion of the order that I paid with a gift card and then processed the remaining refund balance as a credit to the credit card. Amazon indicated that credit card refunds take 3-5 business days. I logged-in to my credit card account online and didn't see any pending credit. I know it's only been 2 business days, but shouldn't I be at least seeing a pending credit by now on my credit card account online?
What did your credit card company say when you called them?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

DTalos wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 pm I know it's only been 2 business days, but shouldn't I be at least seeing a pending credit by now on my credit card account online?
In my experience, generally only purchases show up in pending. Refunds generally show up about 3 business days after the merchant processes them, but in the interim they almost never show as a pending transaction.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Merchant has up to 7 business days to post a refund to credit card. After credit transaction has been received, card issuer has 7 business days to reflect it on your account.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

No need to be concerned. If Amazon refunded the gift balance, there is 98% certainly they did the same for the credit card.
Refunds do not typically show as “pending” on a credit card. After Amazon initiates the transaction, it will take 2-3 days to “post.” It can take an additional time to display online, as some issuers only update the web facing systems (separate than the financial systems that do transactions) overnight to present posted refunds a day or two later.

If you don’t see the money back in a week or two, post on this forum, then contact Amazon.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

What part of 3-5 business days did you not understand?

:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Credits never show up as pending transactions on my credit cards. They don't show up until they are posted transactions.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:56 am Credits never show up as pending transactions on my credit cards. They don't show up until they are posted transactions.
This ^^^
EdNorton wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 am What part of 3-5 business days did you not understand?

And this.

Always been this way. OP, is this your first credit ever?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I recently ordered a PC online and then canceled the order a week later. It took about 5 business days to appear on my CC. These companies are never in a hurry to cancel a CC charge.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:57 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:56 am Credits never show up as pending transactions on my credit cards. They don't show up until they are posted transactions.
This ^^^
EdNorton wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 am What part of 3-5 business days did you not understand?

And this.

:thumbsup

OP is a regular "help me with this basic consumer issue" poster.

I suspect that for some posters, creating a new thread here is quicker than simply calling the merchant or other entity and easier than using a search engine on the internet. They may also find the replies here more trustworthy than what they learn from the actual business involved or from reviewing results of a web search.
Last edited by galawdawg on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 am
This ^^^

And this.

I suspect that for some posters, creating a new thread here is quicker than simply calling the merchant or other entity and easier than using a search engine on the internet.
Or just unsatisfied with the 3-5 biz day time frame already provided by the merchant...
student

Post by student »

If it is not a large amount and you shop at Amazon often, it may be easier to have the entire amount refunded to the gift card. Yes. They can do it even if you pay with credit card.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 am
This ^^^

And this.

I suspect that for some posters, creating a new thread here is quicker than simply calling the merchant or other entity and easier than using a search engine on the internet. They may also find the replies here more trustworthy than what they learn from the actual business involved or from reviewing results of a web search.

I think Bogleheads is one of the premier forums on the internet due to the quality of postings.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

CC refund arrived within time-frame stated by merchant.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

DTalos wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm CC refund arrived within time-frame stated by merchant.
Thanks for providing the update. Glad this was resolved.

Cheers
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

DTalos wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm CC refund arrived within time-frame stated by merchant.
A satisfying conclusion!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

student wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 am If it is not a large amount and you shop at Amazon often, it may be easier to have the entire amount refunded to the gift card. Yes. They can do it even if you pay with credit card.
I do this, you get your money faster. If it is a large purchase they usually will only refund to the CC.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 am ...

Looks like DTalos even asked the same question on 2/26/2015
DTalos wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 pm I made two purchases at a grocery store yesterday using my credit card and they are showing up in my account as pending. I also did a return at the same grocery store in between those two purchases and the refunded amount to my credit card is not showing up in my account online and also via the 1-800 number? Is this normal? How long does it take for a credit/refund to show up online? ...
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This topic has run its course and is locked. OP has received his credit. OP also received some useful advice for the future.

Moderator Misenplace