Which Toys/Experiences Have Brought You The Most Joy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MichaelAZ

Re: Which Toys/Experiences Have Brought You The Most Joy?

Post by MichaelAZ »

Tennis, dance, and violin lessons for my kids.
MichaelAZ

Post by MichaelAZ »

snackdog wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm Dog brings the most daily joy and cost quite modest.
We got a puppy last month. It's been awful so far. Bites constantly. So much work.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

In no particular order -

- a really good super comfortable mattress
- extended trips to France, South Africa, and Australia
- vintage guitars
- high end Lexus sedan
- garage sized mechanics toolbox
- high end sports gear - racquets, shoes, etc.
- high end audio and video gear
- building multiple houses with HFH
OneBreeze

Post by OneBreeze »

Toys for making food or anything that can be enjoyed with others seem worth it.

I’ve gotten into home coffee roasting and it’s fun to evaluate the beans and roast with the family. Also I’ve started acquiring some pizza-making gear which is nice for gathering people together.
FlatSix

Post by FlatSix »

Poker table
Cars (993 Porsche 911 and BMW E39 M5) and working on/modifying them to my taste
Good computer
Large TV
Splurge meals at new restaurants

Time off at the beach or really anywhere. Probably the most “
“expensive” as it means I work less and I am paid on production. But what’s the point in working hard all the time if you can’t take a week off to be with family?

On the docket:
Porsche driving school course
Court side seats to an NBA game
Renting an exotic car or two
Air stream trailer for road trips
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

A tie between an out of print card game called Glory to Rome and our faithful but stubborn cheweenie Cooper.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Random trip to Bermuda. Played a game of let's use fairmont points in a place we hadn't been, but still had cheap flights during Xmas. So surprised by the friendliness of the people more than anything else. Memorable rides on local buses around town. Felt like being in the UK 30 or 40 years ago. Nostalgic and a big surprise.

Japan, bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto. Fish markets. Ancient history tours etc.

Plenty of other travel experiences. Here's one I'll never forget/one of my earliest. Seeing sunrise from the plane at the age of 10 or 11, just before our family landed in Cairo, pitstop, before arriving in Nairobi, Kenya. Africa is something else altogether. Hope to take the kids next few years...

Toys? Currently my infra red sauna. The intex over ground pool has to be high up there in the value list, with kids, friends etc. Having fun with my new road bike too.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Dmslax45

Post by Dmslax45 »

I have young kids, so travel is tough though making it work. They are very into animals and dinosaurs, so much of our travel revolves around zoos, aquariums, and museums. We took a few 3-5 days trips on the east coast pre-COVID, and now looking to plan a longer trip at the end of the year. Thinking San Diego. I agree with most that travel with the family creates such great memories and allows DW and I to connect with the kids more.

I feel they’re too young to fully appreciate the national parks just yet, but I think the natural progression would be to graduate from zoos to national parks, as our oldest is already asking about going to Yellowstone.

Other experiences that I wouldn’t give up for anything:
-Fishing locally with my oldest son
-Hunting with my family (3 generations meeting annually)
-Golfing
-Working out (CrossFit mostly. DW and I are able to do something we both enjoy together daily without the kids and we’ve met some great friends along the way)

Possessions:
Aside from the things that help with do the above experiences, I recently acquired and old Seiko watch that I absolutely love. Might have opened up a can of worms, as I’ve found myself down the rabbit hole of vintage Seikos lately, so will see where that goes.
-iPad / iPhone
kcannon1

Post by kcannon1 »

GmanJeff wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:29 pm Various guitars, but most particularly my Gibson ES-335 and Les Paul Custom, plugged in to a Mesa Boogie Mark IV while performing with a band. When a tune comes together and the guitar tone is all one could want, the experience is transcendent.
Ah yeah, transcendent indeed.

One that gives me a lot of joy is traveling in a car with the spouse and our dogs. It can be challenging for sure and it's not all cotton candy and rainbows, but I get a big kick out of the dogs' lust for life.
chazas

Post by chazas »

A nice house with a pool. Lovely surroundings calm me. I don’t swim every day but having a yard like a resort all summer brings me great joy.

Nice vacations overseas. Favorites have included Egypt, Bali, Maldives, Cambodia, China.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Golf equipment.

My daughter didn’t take to the game but my son has, he’s turning 14 and we play a lot. Best part is, some of his soccer teammates do as well and after they got fed up with…soccer stuff…they decided to quit soccer and switch to golf. So this summer I’ve been dropping him off at the local course so he can play 18 with his friends.

But I really enjoy golf. we played one of the Disney courses this summer and had a great time.

Violin lessons and my violin. I guess over the last four plus years I’ve spent 4K for my lessons. The violin I found wasn’t cheap, but worth every penny.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

Here is mine:

- Class B RV
- Kayaks
- Nikon D7500 and 500mm F5.6
- Woodturning Lathe
- MacBook Pro
-iPad

We do a lot of shorter RV trips and love to kayak and photograph wildlife. I also love Woodturning both as a hobby and as a great social outlet.

All of this gear has brought a great deal of joy to my life and has been a great investment.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

One of the best experiences that brought me the most joy, other than the birth of my son, was being a foreign exchange student. I would strongly encourage parents who have the funds to encourage their kids to be foreign exchange students. How they grow, even in a short summer stent, is almost equivalent to having gone to college. Of course this is just my opinion others may disagree. Even now, some 40 years later, I look fondly at the time I spent in a foreign country.
kaliwi

Post by kaliwi »

With kids-
Zoo, museum, apple orchard daytrips. BoA cards get you 1 free ticket per cardholder on the first weekend of the month at certain museums.

Telescopes/binoculars
8 in dob runs around 450 these days and can last a lifetime. Fun from the back yard, awesome on trips to dark sky sites.

Walks to the local library.

Paintball

Disney World and Universal Studios are enjoyable experiences at just about every stage. Probably the most fun with college age kids, to be honest.

Niagara Falls, both sides. Mackinac Island. National parks.

Unique hotels like https://clearskyresorts.com/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

snackdog wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm Dog brings the most daily joy and cost quite modest.
Our rescue was quite expensive, but the “glass half full” of that is that she was returned 3 times because adopters couldn’t deal with her medical issues/expense. So, we manage her symptoms knowing we won’t ever cure her, but she is the sweetest dog we’ve ever been lucky enough to welcome to our family. I was an anti-pit bull bigot initially, and had to have her checked out by a professional dog trainer before I’d agree to even foster her, but now I am in love with her. She is living her best life in our rural environment.

For family experiences: a tie between trips to Galapagos and South African safari (Mala Mala).

This might be shallow, but I have to say that I get a lot of pleasure out of my home theater in our media room, stereo in our great room, and OLED TVs in various rooms.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

My favorite toys, in no particular order:

102mm AstroTech refractor telescope (astronomy)
Trek 702 bike (ride it 5x week during spring - fall)
Guitars - slowly phasing out due to arthritis - moving to electric keyboard. Lousy musician, but a nice winter hobby.
Vegetable gardens - even small plots would be educational for kids...and so much better to eat.

Places visited:
Earlier comment about Trail Ridge Road in Colorado....quite the drive. Also stayed at YMCA of the Rockies...great location.
Westcliffe, Colorado - had a 14" telescope booked for 2 nights...first rainy night in 3 months washed it out. Great small town, as is Salida, Colorado. Hard to go wrong with Colorado.
Historical schooner trip in Maine - Rockport - several available.

What I would suggest (would love to have) - lake cottage within 2 hours of home. Lots of work tho.

DW and I cannot wait for Covid to stabilize so we can resume vacation/travel. Doesnt matter where we go, we have a good time. I enjoy travelling with her and exploring.

Build memories with your family!

ed
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Having retired at 55, I tried volunteering with a group who worked at maintaining a trans-state hiking trail. That led to the best years of my life, doing volunteer trail maintenance, solo in the rugged mountains near my home. What through hikers would see as a recurring annoyance on their 800 mile hike, was just an interesting challenge to me of how to efficiently remove a section from a 24-30" tree trunk that had toppled onto the trail. No chainsaws are allowed in federal wilderness areas, except during forest fires. My 48" crosscut saw is now about a hundred years old, but it was top quality in the era just before chain saws were developed. Yes, I liked spending my time at trying to out-smart dead trees.

The Big Island, the one named Hawaii, is an amazing place and the prices are reasonable, if you fly direct from the mainland to the Kona airport, get your rental car, then drive to the Hilo or Captain Cook areas for your motel. We liked visiting the red lava flows in the night, distant from the National Park, when the authorities were not staffing the checkpoints. DW liked the botanical wonders and I liked swimming in the sheltered bays at Hilo and at Hapuna Beach (the public is allowed on the expensive resort's beaches, but we are limited by the available parking, so go early which is easy due to the time zone differences from the mainland). The Hawaii Revealed books are good, but do not trespass across private land as the author sometimes suggests.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

1) My folding electric bike

When I have more energy, I peddle more and use less peddle assist. When I have less energy, I still know that my bike will take me home. I do more biking with my folding electric bike.

2) Gourmet Coffee and Gourmet Tea

2 to 3 cups of great coffee and Teas per day. Simple joy to life!

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Wannaretireearly

KlangFool wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:42 pm Folks,

When I have more energy, I peddle more and use less peddle assist. When I have less energy, I still know that my bike will take me home. I do more biking with my folding electric bike.

KlangFool
What coffee and tea types? Always looking for tips ;)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 pm

KlangFool
Wannaretireearly,

1) I have tested 100+ coffee. Depending on what you like..

This is a very good coffee. You probably would like it.

https://www.costco.com/mother-earth-org ... 20592.html

2) Tea -> I use upton teas. There are about 10+ varieties that I rotate. They import about 200+ varieties of teas. You could find whatever you like at a good price

https://www.uptontea.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo ... gJZHfD_BwE

3) Or, this place for coffee, 20+ variety from all over world. Freshly roasted every day. Buy 5 pounds to get a great deal after you learn what you like.

https://www.coffeeam.com/

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
apayne

Post by apayne »

Joy is tough, but as far as pure happiness for the family, a boat can’t be beat for us. Kids want to spend all day doing water sports at the lake, it gives opportunity for fishing n the ocean, and nothing beats a summer dinner picnic on the water while the sun goes down.
Boats get a rough reputation on here, but DIY maintenance and buying a high quality used boat, it’s a fairly inexpensive toy that results in some great family memories.
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

eggraid101 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:11 pm - a nice acoustic guitar
- an electric bike

are the two toys I can think of within the past 5 years or so.
+1 on the electric bike!!
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 2/p/28299/
mmac8

Post by mmac8 »

Driving my truck. Bought it brand new off the lot when trading in an almost paid off 5 year old sedan that was a perfectly capable vehicle. This truck is one of the most inexpensive models out there but does everything I need. Still puts a smile on my face every time I turn it over two years later.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

teniralc wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 pm
- an electric bike

teniralc,

Please test drive the electric bike before you buy or make sure there is a good return policy. There is an issue of fit here. I had tested some of the electric bikes. Their peddle assist system is not compatible to my pace of peddling.

KlangFool
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:06 pm
- an electric bike

teniralc,

Please test drive the electric bike before you buy or make sure there is a good return policy. There is an issue of fit here. I had tested some of the electric bikes. Their peddle assist system is not compatible to my pace of peddling.

KlangFool
Thanks for the tip, Klangfool. Yes, I actually did that before buying it. This particular one seems quite comfortable for me. In particularly, the handlebars are high enough that I'm not leaning forward too much, and the seat is comfortable for me. Of course, the biggest thing is the pedal assist. My knees have not bothered me since I've been on it.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

teniralc wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:17 pm
- an electric bike

teniralc,

KlangFool
Thanks for the tip, Klangfool. Yes, I actually did that before buying it. This particular one seems quite comfortable for me. In particularly, the handlebars are high enough that I'm not leaning forward too much, and the seat is comfortable for me. Of course, the biggest thing is the pedal assist. My knees have not bothered me since I've been on it.
From what I read,the mid-drive system like the one that you have may wear out the bicycle chain. So, please talk to the bike shop and find out when you need to change the bicycle chain. You do not want to stuck somewhere with a broken bicycle chain.

That is one of the nice things about folding electric bike. I can hitch a drive with someone by folding my bike and put it into their trunk.

KlangFool
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:22 pm
teniralc wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:17 pm
- an electric bike

teniralc,

KlangFool
From what I read,the mid-drive system like the one that you have may wear out the bicycle chain. So, please talk to the bike shop and find out when you need to change the bicycle chain. You do not want to stuck somewhere with a broken bicycle chain.

That is one of the nice things about folding electric bike. I can hitch a drive with someone by folding my bike and put it into their trunk.

KlangFool
Thanks for the tip. I will talk with the bike tech when I go back to the store, which I do periodically. He's a super tech and knows quite a bit about the bikes so he is always interesting to talk with. Much appreciated!!
Wannaretireearly

KlangFool wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:53 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 pm

KlangFool
Wannaretireearly,

1) I have tested 100+ coffee. Depending on what you like..

This is a very good coffee. You probably would like it.

https://www.costco.com/mother-earth-org ... 20592.html

2) Tea -> I use upton teas. There are about 10+ varieties that I rotate. They import about 200+ varieties of teas. You could find whatever you like at a good price

https://www.uptontea.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo ... gJZHfD_BwE

3) Or, this place for coffee, 20+ variety from all over world. Freshly roasted every day. Buy 5 pounds to get a great deal after you learn what you like.

https://www.coffeeam.com/

KlangFool
Excellent. Thanks Klang!
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 pm We have spent the last 20 years grinding at work and saving away. I am about to enter my 40s and wanted to loosen the purse strings a bit to make fun memories with the wife and kids. We are still maxing out our 401k savings and contributing to savings in taxable account but want to do some intentional spending along the way. I dont want us to look back with a huge bank balance but have regrets things that we missed out on.

Despite being frugal, we usually spend a lot on travel (domestic and international). I was hoping to get more ideas from people on what toys/experiences they have purchased that has brought the most joys (besides buying more VTI funds or hiring lawn care, etc).

Below are some ideas we brainstormed:

-Kayaks to explore lakes/rivers
-Fishing poles
-Charter boats
-African safari
-Extended stay on an Italian villa
-Cooking classes
-National Parks
-Dude Ranch

Please share your ideas and let us know which one you enjoyed the most. Thanks.
Things we enjoy...
- Annual summer trip to the in-laws lake house
- Mountain bike
- 10 game pack to our local pro hockey team
moruobai

Post by moruobai »

+ Maui
+ Disney World
+ International travel
+ Hot tub
+ Basketball goal
+ World Cup
+ Vail back bowls with fresh powder

[Offensive comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]
RANkiDEr

Post by RANkiDEr »

My wife and were talking about this tonight prior to my posting.

We've never felt any particular joy from things.

Over the years we've done the expensive trips which were interesting, but they never sparked joy.
What has brought true joy cost very little money.

I love hosting Sunday dinner and having the extended family come over. Or hosting neighborhood cookouts.
Come over and relax, eat, have a drink and some laughs. I like to see the people around me happy. That brings me joy.

:sharebeer
fposte

Post by fposte »

I haven’t seen any mention of garden stuff yet. I get tremendous joy from my plantings, especially roses and Japanese maples, and a massive spring bulb show.
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

I'll cut and paste what I posted in a different thread:

We bought a lake house 3 years ago. It is 2 hours 15 mins from my main residence.
It has been awesome. I'm fortunate to have a brother who has kids 3 hours on the opposite side from where he/we live, so the lake house is a halfway point for him and his family. He has no financial interest or responsibility in the property, but contributes labor, groceries, supplies, yard work, etc and in return gets to see his adult children a lot more and I get see my nieces and nephews a lot more.
When my kids were younger, it would have been really tough to use the lake house with sports, friends, etc.
Now they are in their low 20s and enjoy the lake house often. We are currently in the planning process to have 12-13 people over for Memorial Day weekend.

With the recent housing boom, I could sell the house for a $300k+ profit (double what I paid for it) without much of an effort, but haven't even considered it. During COVID, it was even more wonderful.
We boat, kayak, paddleboard, ebike, float in tubes, fish, ATV, play yard games, have campfires, visit the local townie bars for darts/pool, etc.
Meals are loosely planned, but prep and cleanup is a team effort

We typically do all the interior projects during winter and leave only grass cutting and tree trimming for summer work.
Even winter is fun with ATVing on the lake(s), ice fishing, snow shoeing, etc.
It has opened up a whole world of things we can't do at home.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I have to comment on the dogs. Dogs are all unique, but in general, what they offer is that they're glad to see you. That is a fundamental emotional need. It's worth a lot. She even named the dog "Joy." I warned my wife before she got another dog, "if somebody storms through that door and says they need a volunteer to go to the Bahamas tonight, I can go, but you couldn't if you had a dog". So their lack of spontaneity is the downside. You can rig up an environment where a dog can tend itself for a few days, but I haven't this go-round. The dog limits our travel, and spontaneous travel is 100% eliminated. It doesn't even get considered.

I also agree on good coffee. I'm not a coffee snob, but i did decide one day that I would never drink Folgers again. We drink Bulletproof, but honestly mcDonalds and Dunkin Donuts is good enough for me.
This time is the same
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am I have to comment on the dogs. Dogs are all unique, but in general, what they offer is that they're glad to see you. That is a fundamental emotional need. It's worth a lot. She even named the dog "Joy." I warned my wife before she got another dog, "if somebody storms through that door and says they need a volunteer to go to the Bahamas tonight, I can go, but you couldn't if you had a dog". So their lack of spontaneity is the downside. You can rig up an environment where a dog can tend itself for a few days, but I haven't this go-round. The dog limits our travel, and spontaneous travel is 100% eliminated. It doesn't even get considered.

I also agree on good coffee. I'm not a coffee snob, but i did decide one day that I would never drink Folgers again. We drink Bulletproof, but honestly mcDonalds and Dunkin Donuts is good enough for me.
firebirdparts,

<<mcDonalds and Dunkin Donuts is good enough for me.>>

You may be surprised. But, for a coffee snob like me, McDonald and Dunkin Donut ranked very high on my list as very good coffees. They are the exceptions among the fast food places. I actually found out the actual coffee roaster that supply coffee to McDonald at one point of time by pure accident. I happened to be at that town and drink coffee from that roaster. And, they tasted the same.

If you are interested, I am can PM you the coffee roaster use by McDonald.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

capitalhockey wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 pm We have spent the last 20 years grinding at work and saving away. I am about to enter my 40s and wanted to loosen the purse strings a bit to make fun memories with the wife and kids. We are still maxing out our 401k savings and contributing to savings in taxable account but want to do some intentional spending along the way. I dont want us to look back with a huge bank balance but have regrets things that we missed out on.

Despite being frugal, we usually spend a lot on travel (domestic and international). I was hoping to get more ideas from people on what toys/experiences they have purchased that has brought the most joys (besides buying more VTI funds or hiring lawn care, etc).

Below are some ideas we brainstormed:

-Kayaks to explore lakes/rivers
-Fishing poles
-Charter boats
-African safari
-Extended stay on an Italian villa
-Cooking classes
-National Parks
-Dude Ranch

Please share your ideas and let us know which one you enjoyed the most. Thanks.
Toys/Experiences brought me the most joy?

- Ability to go to the gym at the middle of the day.
- Taking nap whenever I want.
- Travel to anywhere we want.
- Being healthy and maintain healthy lifestyle. Healthcare cost is virtually zero, aside from paying health insurance premiums.
- Buying items at the store without paying attention to price tag.
- Not having to worry about working for paychecks anymore.
Time is the ultimate currency.
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

So the big discovery about raising two teenagers and a dog simultaneously has been that the dog doesn’t talk back. Or so I thought. That was certainly true with our previous dog. Then we got our present dog when she was 9 weeks. At first she looked exactly like a dog but now she is more a human. She uses different voices and barks to register protests like a teenager. She’s definitely talking back. We expect her to learn the eye-roll any day now.
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

Experiences have been the top "thing" that we have purchased:

A dozen Walt Disney World Trips
Beach house vacation in S. Florida
Grand Canyon trip
My wife and I visiting Hawaii

Items we have purchased that have brought about extra cheer/joy: A recreational property purchased 12 years ago. It is income producing but many in my family have utilized for hunting trips and other outdoor activities that have brought a great amount of joy to us.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Travel to our roots. All that history we had to learn suddenly became real. Visiting places our ancestors walked let us see how they influenced us, and how we evolved differently. We also remember the night we stayed up till the wee hours swapping non-PC jokes with a couple of locals.

Later, backpacking along the AT with my son. There's something about relying on only things you've carried in yourself, and having to deal up close and personal with nature (sunrise, sunset, weather, terrain, distance) on its terms.
Nothing to say, really.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Our long generally unplanned road trips are my favorite.
Basically we have a general destination, a packed car and we just go. We stop when we are tired, we change directions and check out new things as they come up, we stay longer in areas if we find new things to do. We book hotels within 30 minutes of arrival and sometimes we don't even make it to our final destination as we fear of course to do something else. The whole trips is like an adventure and we tend to find things we would have never seen or done if we have had everything pre-planned and pre-booked.

As for stuff we enjoy often:
Our Media room. We watch a lot of movies with the family and take full advantage. It has come very handy thanks to COVID.
My car I take to the race track
Our ski gear which adds more experiences.
Our yearly ski trip with friends.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
gunther35

Post by gunther35 »

Traveling to new destinations would be at the top of my list.

Also, any investment to improve one's health is probably the best way to spend money.
For me, purchasing a top end mountain bike and longboard/surfboard has helped me get in the best shape of my life (age 59).

Also purchased a nice guitar(s) and memorizing some cool riffs/solos to hopefully delay the inevitable cognitive decline :happy
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am I have to comment on the dogs. Dogs are all unique, but in general, what they offer is that they're glad to see you. That is a fundamental emotional need. It's worth a lot. She even named the dog "Joy." I warned my wife before she got another dog, "if somebody storms through that door and says they need a volunteer to go to the Bahamas tonight, I can go, but you couldn't if you had a dog". So their lack of spontaneity is the downside. You can rig up an environment where a dog can tend itself for a few days, but I haven't this go-round. The dog limits our travel, and spontaneous travel is 100% eliminated. It doesn't even get considered.
This is one reason we haven't had our own dog since 2018, another is continuing grief over the passing of that dog. We host our 'grand dogs' time to time, one is residing here now while its 'parent' fosters another dog, our guest is another wonderful dog. However we've loved dogs so much, others can scoff if they like, that to me it's really off the proper theme of the question, which would be more material things (coffee, vacations, snowmobiles, etc.), rather than the presence/company of other beings. Once talking dogs, it's not a far step to talking about family relationships, or even mention spiritual beliefs and get one's comment censored. Other beings would dominate my list if that were included.

If non-beings, I'll break the ice (though I know I'm not the only person on this forum who feels so) and say some cars I've had. My current favorite car, BMW M2, has brought joy. The bulk of its miles have been registered on long trips where we also 'experience' things off road, for example hiked Wheeler Peak in Great Basin NP in NV last month, driving from NJ. That was perhaps our best hike of all time: at 10k ft+ the eastern Nevada desert turns into another world of barely believable beauty, stands comparison with more famous NP scenes IMO. But, the M2 was awfully fun too in NV mountain passes along totally deserted roads, not to mention national forest roads along the Snake River Canyon in ID/OR/WA a few days later. It's not just to look at, though looks very fine IMO, and it's not for 'luxury', very firm riding, though that's just right a little fast around tight curves on decent roads. It's an integral part of the 'experience' of road trips. Although, we may seek to optimize further in terms of space (two people, gear and 2+ weeks of consumable stuff fills it) and mobility, for destinations further off paved roads while retaining as much performance as possible (our 328i successfully drove 10's of miles of muddy gravel in northeast Colorado a few years ago but not really the car for it, the M2 is definitely not).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am I also agree on good coffee. I'm not a coffee snob, but i did decide one day that I would never drink Folgers again. We drink Bulletproof, but honestly mcDonalds and Dunkin Donuts is good enough for me.
My hat’s off to you. Try as I might, I could never drink Bulletproof without feeling ill. I intermittent fast without difficulty, but Bulletproof is just a “bridge too far.”

Black Kona coffee fresh ground for me, and lots of it. On weekends I might have some frothed and heated milk (Grassmilk whole milk) with it as a fast breaking treat. My wife, wonderful woman that she is, has and deserves that every morning.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Summer vacations at the Jersey shore with wife and daughters (Long Beach Island, Wildwood Crest, etc)
Landscape maintenance and tending our garden, very relaxing
Trips to the Adirondacks, just beautiful up there
Christmas Eve Mass, then homemade pizza, a family tradition
Hikes around a local lake with wife and kids
Cleaning our home - not the cleaning itself, but the satisfaction of having a nice clean, uncluttered home when we're done
65" LG 4k TV for the basement - $500 on sale, and we love it
Listening to music and podcasts while working out in home gym
Grilling out on the back deck - good steaks or burgers
Bombay Sapphire Gin with Tonic and lime
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

Taking up skiing again in my 40s, getting the kids into it, and buying good equipment! It's an expensive hobby/sport, but so worth it. :D
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
mkc

Post by mkc »

lurkman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 am So the big discovery about raising two teenagers and a dog simultaneously has been that the dog doesn’t talk back. Or so I thought. That was certainly true with our previous dog. Then we got our present dog when she was 9 weeks. At first she looked exactly like a dog but now she is more a human. She uses different voices and barks to register protests like a teenager. She’s definitely talking back. We expect her to learn the eye-roll any day now.
We've got one who's got the "side eye" look of disdain down pat (dog, not teenager)
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I agree the toys that lead to sharing time with family and friends are high on our list:

- Our watercraft: we've done more weekend lake and camping trips due to our rental (and later purchase) of PWC than we ever imagined. More than twenty years of watercraft use, and it changed our lives, literally, as it inspired us to move, and find a waterfront house, which we love.

- Our Big Green Egg, purchased as complete BBQ noobs. We've become pretty good with it, and enjoy learning and perfecting one recipe each summer. Last year was grilled chicken (secret: brine in pickle juice for an hour prior to grilling). The year before: smoked jambalaya. We also do a fantastic tri tip, planked salmon, shish kebabs, grilled corn and summer peaches.

- My Sonus Faber floor-standing Cremona speakers. DH got these for me as a complete surprise - we had seen them in a Magnolia Best Buy a decade before, and the quality and tone of those speakers gave me chill bumps. I could never reconcile the price tag, so he did it for me. ;) Bought used, shipped in from a music store in Canada, and they bring me joy every time I sit in my living room and turn them on.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

my pets
swimming
beach walking
dancing
singing
reading / writing
cruise & all other vacations with hubby & friends & family
buying gifts for friends, family
good conversations
concerts
flowers
being in nature
preparing healthy meals
good coffee
good wine
great mattress
interesting podcasts
well made clothes & shoes
good quality sheets and towels
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Guitars n ukuleles
Learning n Playing music with sons from little thru life.
Golf Clubs
Learning n Playing golf with DW and sons from little thru life.

Memories last far longer than toys.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Best purchase, RV used travel the US & Canada for 3m a year for 6 of the last 8 years.
Regards | Bob