Which Toys/Experiences Have Brought You The Most Joy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stan1

Re: Which Toys/Experiences Have Brought You The Most Joy?

Post by stan1 »

- Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains generally away from people
- Deserted beaches and coastlines
- Urban hiking and rail transit in places like London, Paris, New York and Washington DC (as someone who has never led a commuter life)
- Living in a place where it is in the high 60s to low 70s and sunny most days of the year
- Good food and friends
- 10-80 mph in a small number of seconds on a freeway onramp (yes a running start, who likes a red light?)
- Driving my new European Delivery BMW on the Deutsche Alpenstrasse on a beautiful Spring day
- Interviewing for a new job and getting hired
- Helping others succeed
- Giving money to family members and charities
- A fast web browser with access to the history of the world
- A comfortable bed

Most are pretty simple pleasures (but some are not cheap)
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

delete
Last edited by kimura king on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

mkc wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:35 pm
lurkman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 am So the big discovery about raising two teenagers and a dog simultaneously has been that the dog doesn’t talk back. Or so I thought. That was certainly true with our previous dog. Then we got our present dog when she was 9 weeks. At first she looked exactly like a dog but now she is more a human. She uses different voices and barks to register protests like a teenager. She’s definitely talking back. We expect her to learn the eye-roll any day now.
We've got one who's got the "side eye" look of disdain down pat (dog, not teenager)
That’s brilliant!
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:21 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:40 pm Yellowstone...summer and you MUST go once in the winter....no words to explain it...just simply amazing.
I've been to Yellowstone so many times over years I can't even count them but have never been there in the Winter, it's definitely on my bucket list.
It needs to be high on your bucket list...real high...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

OldBallCoach wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:52 am
MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:21 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:40 pm Yellowstone...summer and you MUST go once in the winter....no words to explain it...just simply amazing.
I've been to Yellowstone so many times over years I can't even count them but have never been there in the Winter, it's definitely on my bucket list.
It needs to be high on your bucket list...real high...
Where do you stay in the park in the wintertime? I assume in one of the park’s hotels and they are awful pricey. I rented a rustic cabin there fifty years ago for $2 per night but it was summer.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Stay in West Yellowstone and they can set you up with snowcat or snowmobile rentals and guides...yea its not cheap but it is worth it...Yellowstone in winter is hard to explain...its like telling someone about looking into the Grand Canyon...just do it....
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I can't stand travelling now. But, thinking back, experiencing different cultures on a locale level (non resort/cruise) was the most memorable for me and still provide joy reflecting back.
Jim Burnham

Post by Jim Burnham »

We really like classical music so a good bit of our travel has included hearing different orchestras perform. I suppose for me the highlights have been the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam, the Iceland Symphony Orchestra in Reykjavik, and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra - all of these were excellent concerts!
invest4

Post by invest4 »

When I first read the title, my response was going to be Star Wars action figures / toys as a kid... :wink:

Relaxed road trip over a couple / few weeks covering a state / area with various sites of interest including things like a National Park. I would not recommend it is a packed trip where you need to furiously check off a list of items, but rather one which has key some key destinations, but allows you the flexibility to do things like stay an extra day or two somewhere if the family is having fun or a bit tired or modify your plans a to take advantage of something that happened to "pop up". Eat well, sleep well, and simply enjoy.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

OldBallCoach wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am Stay in West Yellowstone and they can set you up with snowcat or snowmobile rentals and guides...yea its not cheap but it is worth it...Yellowstone in winter is hard to explain...its like telling someone about looking into the Grand Canyon...just do it....
I have done the Yellowstone winter trip three times in the last five years. You can travel into Yellowstone by snow coach or by snowmobile. You can also ride snowmobiles on you own in the national forest adjacent to West Yellowstone. The latter is actually more fun for us but a fist timer should probably do both. Prices for this kind of trip are really pretty reasonable. It's a great trip and I would highly recommend.
PSM

Post by PSM »

*Glad to have traveled to Europe, Middle East, Canada, Hawaii, Caribbean, and much of US for priceless experiences and memories with family. We chose to spend on travel during our working years, and am now especially satisfied with that decision since in retirement I now have a health concern (plus a pandemic) that will probably prohibit such extensive globe-trotting.

*For me, some of those travels included the incredible fun of attending the Wimbledon and US Open tennis tournaments; the British Open golf tournament at St Andrews, Scotland; US Open and PGA golf tournaments in the US…plus attending many other sports events and games over my lifetime….like Duke basketball, pro tennis in Charleston SC, etc.

*Attending musical theater productions in London, New York and close to home. The power of story and music in productions like Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, etc. has been incredible.

*Playing golf and tennis in some beautiful places like Scotland, England, Hawaii, St Croix, Pinehurst NC, Hilton Head Island SC, Pebble Beach CA and close to home

*Helping family and giving to church and charity have been the foundation for a meaningful life
Bernmaster

Post by Bernmaster »

A nice home gym that allows me to work out no matter how busy I am.
"The unsophisticated investor who is realistic about his shortcomings is likely to obtain better results than the knowledgeable professional who is blind to even a single weakness” ― Warren Buffett
1030danielle

Post by 1030danielle »

I splurged on a weeklong trip to Alaska in my mid-30s. My favorite part was the two-day, one-night kayak trip with an outfitter. They set up the tents and prepped all the food. While paddling, I saw puffins, eagles, bears, otters… not to mention the glaciers and mountains. Would definitely do it again.

Big Bend NP in southwest Texas was also neat … roadrunners and canoeing the Rio Grande. Plus, there’s the McDonald observatory somewhat nearby, and when the skies are clear, it’s incredible.

Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico also have tons of Native American history : petroglyphs, pictographs, cliff dwellings. Mesa Verde NP is the best for cliff dwellings and gorgeous hikes.

Also, white water rafting … Snake River in Wyoming or Green River in NC.

I’m of the mind that a man / woman doesn’t have to break his / her back to earn his day of leisure. I am trying to do all I want to while I’m still young and healthy enough to do them. My next big trip: Hawaii for my birthday next year. :)

Enjoy!

Danielle
jt90505

Post by jt90505 »

1030danielle wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:26 pm I’m of the mind that a man / woman doesn’t have to break his / her back to earn his day of leisure. I am trying to do all I want to while I’m still young and healthy enough to do them.
Finally a post I can totally relate to.

Yes, saving for retirement is important, but saving some outlandish % of income so you can retire early and start living life makes no sense to me.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Adopting two different shelter/rescue dogs. The human-animal bond is well researched and has enhanced the quality of my life. Dogs help you live in the moment as do other pets and wildlife.

https://habri.org/the-pet-effect/

Music has also enhanced my life. :beer
avenger

Post by avenger »

Putting a plunge pool at our Chicago-proper home.
International travel - Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, all of Europe, South America. Can’t wait to explore Africa and more of Asia next.
Fine dining / experiential dining.
Our dog.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

Bajadoc wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 pm Learn to do your own home maintenance, repair and yard work. Planting, landscaping, outdoor beautification, plumbing, painting and electrical. Learn to do most of your car maintenance and repair. These "experiances" can be very intellectually and physically challenging, rewarding, money saving, and set a good example for family members and children. Once you learn these things there is no end to the help you can give to friends, neighbors and family. The pursuit of these skills has been a life-long challenge for me and has provided very much joy.
+1, these are hobbies that improve you and your life and save money, unlike other hobbies…
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I’ll skip the travel ideas since you do that already and many of the spots I’ll mentioned where suggested(we are doing Yellowstone next year fwiw). Travel is trendy these days so you will get no lack of responses there….

My personal hobby is R/C flying. Not drones, but old school remote control model planes and helicopters. Sky is the limit cost wise, as it’s a hobby that can range from a $200 foam toy one can operate in a schoolyard to folks who build jets (actual jets) and spend 5+ figures and years building a single flying model. It’s my lifelong passion, I’ve probably spent enough in 3 decades to buy a modest car or two and it will keep me busy well into retirement.

But it’s a specialized interest and not for everyone.

Another thing “we” do is a lot of our own home remodeling/repair. At one point we owned an 18th century built house for a decade and had a lot of fun restoring it, learning about period materials and methods.

Other ideas:
Expensive mountain/road bike
Kayaks
Buy a boat
Scuba
Get your pilots license
DSLR photography
Get into astronomy / astrophotography
Take up skydiving or paragliding
Expensive golf club membership/etc
Take up classic car restoration
High end audio/HiFi
Learn an instrument
Gardening
Buy an RV
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Lots of great suggestions!

One we've really enjoyed - The Landmark Trust properties in the UK. We've done the Martello Tower and The Music Room. Plenty to check out though but not really in cities; all the others listed are quite unique.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search ... /location/
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

My largest source of joy is owning a home of my own into which I can invite friends and family. And yet I can just settle in alone with good music , a book or movie and enjoy myself.

I also enjoy experiences with friends - going to a new art exhibit, museum or lunch/dinner. Always so nuch to share.
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

My bike, my backpack, boots and tent.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Went to Hawaii in the 1980s when the Kilauea volcano was starting a decades long eruption and the lave was flowing into the sea. Back then it was not very restricted so you could hike 20 minutes in and walk right up to hot oozing lava. You could also see the lave flowing into the sea in the distance. We were there late in the afternoon and had flashlights so we could stay until it was dark where you could really see the glowing lava.

It was amazing.

Retrospect that was really not a safe thing to do and after a number of deaths and injuries it is a lot more restricted now from what I have read.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

I’ve had a lot of nice overseas trips, but something else just came to mind - I was able to drive to the total eclipse of the sun in the Midwest in 2017. Although brief, totally worth it. It is a completely different experience than a partial eclipse.

Another one is coming in 2024.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Listening to music through my numerous stereo electronics
Hanging out with friends and having a good laugh
Retiring from work!
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Any money I've spent on travel has been money well spent.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Speculative investments in my funny money account.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Experiences--way better than toys.

Travel has been huge for us, thanks to credit card spend and business travel, we had decades of International First Class vacation mileage flights.

Travel experiences that involve meeting new people or sharing unique times with locals who are known from other contexts:

We have been fortunate to meet natives in Italy and New Zealand that became decades-long friends. Our Italian friends have taken us to their olive orchard to participate in olive pressing during harvest time. They have also taken us on road trips and large luncheons/dinners with their friends. Our New Zealand friends have also brought us around and showed us local site. It can't get better than traveling internationally with the benefit of locals.

Other experiences: Golfing on an empty course on the Italian side of Zermatt and meeting another couple who invited us for after-round libations. So nice. Had the same type of experience with a couple in Utah.

Traveling to New Zealand as part of a small official delegation, and having haka and other dances performed for us while sampling NZ delicacies at a marae.

Having private guides in places like Athens, Reykjavik, Akureyri, Istanbul, Israel, Dutch Harbor, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Scotland, and Sapporo, all of whom brought us to local restaurants, navigated through the environs, and added to our appreciation of sites.

Cruising Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Northern Canada, Alaska, Antarctica and New Zealand. Seeing these impressive countries/continents via their fjords.

Finally, getting married in Switzerland!!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I did enough international and US travel. I enjoyed international life and travel.

International - I was born a German, and grew up there and went to college and first job there until age 28. 3 month in exchange in Turkey.
- I am an engineer and travelled 15 times to Asia and several to Europe. I also vacationed in Greece and Tunesia.
- so I believe I travelled enough, enjoyed each of those.

- So I enjoy my life here in upstate NY in retirement with my family.
- I like to garden, not the vegetable type though.
- I have landscaped my only 0.45 acres with lawn, 60 different conifers, and 300 different hostas. That landscaping is also good exercise and gets my grandson involved. In winter I grow new hosta hybrids from seed I had collected in my garden the year before.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

International and sport destination travel in the time before covid, recently new surf kites for wave kiting and kite surfboard .Soon to be a new road bike and OC-1 canoe
G-J-H

Post by G-J-H »

Travel and Pinball machines.
4ransom

Post by 4ransom »

friends and family
camping and rafting
pets
work
bidet
praxis

Post by praxis »

Playing music on my old guitar with friends and family around the fire in our mountain home. I have some nice steel string acoustic guitars, but injuries and arthritis always lead me to a classical I bought while living in Europe in 1969. And I love how mellow the tone has become over these 50 years. I can play it all night. It's pretty banged up. But so am I.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:22 pm In no particular order -
- a really good super comfortable mattress
Can you share the make & model details of the mattress you like?
IMO

Post by IMO »

Watty wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:46 pm Went to Hawaii in the 1980s when the Kilauea volcano was starting a decades long eruption and the lave was flowing into the sea. Back then it was not very restricted so you could hike 20 minutes in and walk right up to hot oozing lava. You could also see the lave flowing into the sea in the distance. We were there late in the afternoon and had flashlights so we could stay until it was dark where you could really see the glowing lava.

It was amazing.

Retrospect that was really not a safe thing to do and after a number of deaths and injuries it is a lot more restricted now from what I have read.
I remember going there some time past 1980. Got there in the dark (was staying up in the park), we had the old crappy flashlights with a couple C or D sized batteries and the tiny old single bulb. Started to make the random hike out (not a trail) at night towards the active lava (it was now about 1 hr hour hike), could hear the water crashing on the cliff's nearby, but we could not see where/how far the edge of the cliff's were from us at night. Opted to turn around and hike the next morning instead. As we hiked out in the daylight, we realized how precariously close we were to walking off the edge of the cliffs....
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I get a great deal of join playing tennis with my son. He’s awful and I’m awful and we both know it. Doesn’t stop us from having a good time. Recently introduced him to golf and he seems to really like the game so that puts a smile on face. Our family camping trips are always fun. We went to Glacier National Park recently and really enjoyed our time there. Stayed for over a week on the east and west side. Next year, we will either go to Banff or Yosemite. As far as toys, I have a Jeep Wrangler and that vehicle brings me a great deal of joy. Can’t beat throwing the top back and cruising.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Erector as a child and lego with my daughter and granddaughter.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

We’ve done most of the things on OP list. Hate to admit, my PC is connected to Spotify and other music sites. I can explore the world of music, literally millions of tracks and albums. I don’t have an expensive system, about $1500 or so. Not a fan of Bluetooth speakers, if that’s your bag then you may not appreciate what I’m saying.
HVAC
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Lake house with a jet ski

Man I miss that jet ski

The key is the dock at the lake house.. if I had to haul the jetski to a lake every time, it wouldn't have been as fun
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

William4589 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:57 pm Experiences
- cup of coffee with my dad when he was still alive (I miss him)
- my frequent dinners with my mom after all the health scares she's battled through
- 2019 solo trip to Japan
Love to travel to Japan off-peak Jan-Feb and grab a guide for evening exploring. It's such a safe and beautiful country. Their trains are amazing too. Have rescheduled my second trip there in 2020 and 2021 due to covid and hope to finally solo it again there in 2022.

Toys
- 2010 4Runner (it's a tank)
Agreed - Japan is by far the most amazing country I have been too, and I have been too many. The food there.....is just amazing....as are many other things there.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Carousel wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:37 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:22 pm In no particular order -
- a really good super comfortable mattress
Can you share the make & model details of the mattress you like?
We purchased an original Leesa mattress 6 years ago. My wife and I love it. As a bonus it seems very resilient, showing no signs of aging/sagging to this point.

Having said that please note that mattress feel is profoundly different from person to person. The original Leesa is a medium firmness mattress. But what that "medium" feels like to people of different size, weight, age, and sleeping positions will vary enormously.

All the better online mattress makers like Leesa, Nola, Casper, Purple, Helix,etc allow generous 100 day+ sleep trial periods, and they have no questions asked 100% money back guarantees if you end up not liking the mattress. There are dozens of utube reviews of the major brand mattress models and they are helpful when making a choice.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Experiences: Pretty much anything that involves camping and being outdoors.
Toys: good stereo, and a convertible top car.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
namajones

3 things to buy that will make you happier

Post by namajones »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

1. Experiences.
2. Spending money to benefit others.
3. Buying time.

Not on the list: buying possessions for yourself.

Study by researchers from University of British Columbia, Harvard, and Simon Fraser University:

https://www.hbs.edu/ris/Publication%20F ... 3b3910.pdf

Thoughts?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Marriage
Children
Grandchildren

Far supercedes anything purchased.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kagord

Re: 3 things to buy that will make you happier

Post by Kagord »

We don't really need groundbreaking research like this, it's counter productive to an 8% return. Besides, perception is reality.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Is chocolate mousse cake with whip cream on the list? Or cup cakes? I’m asking because they really do make me happier.
vg55

Post by vg55 »

Not my experience at all.

The purchase that has provided me with the greatest amount of joy is the solar array on the roof and EV in the driveway.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

namajones wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:23 am Thoughts?
Seems like the trendy thing to say these days.

It assumes "needs" are already covered, which isn't always the case for everyone.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged namajones's thread into a similar discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (consumer items).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

vg55 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 am The purchase that has provided me with the greatest amount of joy is the solar array on the roof and EV in the driveway.
Don’t go to thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=356291. All of the “get off my lawn” Bogleheads showed up for it; buzz kill for sure.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

My piano