Tesla Plaid

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Tesla Plaid

Post by YeahBuddy »

With the exciting news about how amazingly great and fast this vehicle this is, are there any Boglehead Tesla model S Plaid owners (or future) owners here? It appears the plaid outperforms most exotics and supercars so I'm interested to hear first hand user experience, from ordering to delivery, dependability, value, pros and cons etc. Thanks!
Light weight baby!
barnaclebob

Re: Tesla Plaid

Post by barnaclebob »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:25 pm With the exciting news about how amazingly great and fast this vehicle this is, are there any Boglehead Tesla model S Plaid owners (or future) owners here? It appears the plaid outperforms most exotics and supercars so I'm interested to hear first hand user experience, from ordering to delivery, dependability, value, pros and cons etc. Thanks!
I read you have to prep the battery ahead of time which can take a few minutes.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Youtube has some great videos. I contacted the Tesla center in Charlotte, NC and they don't have any. My wife wouldn't let me buy it anyways. :)

I did preorder the Cyber Truck.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’m a super happy Tesla owner, and I’d love to own one.

Honestly though, I’m not a capable enough driver to use it the way it should be used……
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Will you use the performance of an exotic/supercar, or just own it for bragging rights? Racing from stoplight to the mall? :oops:

Seems silly to me. Buy a Prius Prime or the most efficient Model 3, and separate track car and get into racing.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:54 pm
Honestly though, I’m not a capable enough driver to use it the way it should be used……
That amount of power is utterly useless on public roads, but it's a near 5,000lbs. street barge, an insanely fast one, but still a giant heavy car meant to go really fast in one direction (straight ahead). Other than being able mash the go pedal, what skills are required?
squirm

Post by squirm »

surfstar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:56 pm Will you use the performance of an exotic/supercar, or just own it for bragging rights? Racing from stoplight to the mall? :oops:

Seems silly to me. Buy a Prius Prime or the most efficient Model 3, and separate track car and get into racing.
Most people that I know (usually guys) buy them for bragging rights, although they won't say that.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:06 pm
That amount of power is utterly useless on public roads, but it's a near 5,000lbs. street barge, an insanely fast one, but still a giant heavy car meant to go really fast in one direction (straight ahead). Other than being able mash the go pedal, what skills are required?
I think they set Nurburgring records with this car. I don’t have the skills to set those records.

I’m just old and slow. So a regular Tesla is plenty fast for me…….
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I'd imagine the skills that Nascar drivers have? :D

Remember when I like fast car? Too long ago :mrgreen: Now I just sit back and laugh at people racing to the stop light.
Time is the ultimate currency.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm
I think they set Nurburgring records with this car. I don’t have the skills to set those records.

I’m just old and slow. So a regular Tesla is plenty fast for me…….
It set the record for an electric sedan, it was still well off the pace of proper sports cars with half the power. I don't disagree in any way, as much as I am a car nut, I'll never understand the appeal of driving something capable of a 2sec flat 0-60 on a public road.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Here on BH- we should be talking about how does it help towards higher withdrawals in retirement, reduce taxes (nope Tesla’s fed rebate gone), and/or reduce RMDs (not 0-60 time), RoI (can you run away faster after a heist - so that you get to keep lot more booty — in doing so, does Plaid model achieve better RoI !?)

I think - one would know if they are financially stable enough to afford/spend that kind of monies — and if all their buckets are mostly/fully covered — monies left-over even after heirs/legacy/QCDs are considered)
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

surfstar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:56 pm Will you use the performance of an exotic/supercar, or just own it for bragging rights? Racing from stoplight to the mall? :oops:

The same could be said for literally ANY high performance, exotic, or supercar vehicle. How many of those owners use the performance frequently? At least in this case, the Plaid seats 4 comfortably so it's more practical than some 2 seaters. But that's not the argument I'm looking to get into. I'm actually a Prius owner and I'm interested in personal experiences. But if I ever did decide to own one, there's a track not too far from my house that I would frequent.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

renue74 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:38 pm Youtube has some great videos. I contacted the Tesla center in Charlotte, NC and they don't have any. My wife wouldn't let me buy it anyways. :)

I did preorder the Cyber Truck.

Interesting. On Tesla.com, you can order the Plaid with 19 inch wheels with reported availability in August but if you opt for 21" wheels they are available this month. I wonder how accurate that is.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Sounds like you're unaware of it's track capabilities. It runs the twisties about as fast as a Porsche 991 gt2 rs
Light weight baby!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Very very quick, but kind of lame. No one can drive these things anywhere near as quickly as they are capable so you’re essentially paying 130k for an 8 year old car design . Part of the allure of a fast expensive car is how it looks.

And don’t get cocky on the autobahn, 16 year old M5s can walk away from a Model S Plaid - top speed 204 mph. :wink: Looks like you can pick one up for about $22k nowadays.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:55 pm

Sounds like you're unaware of it's track capabilities. It runs the twisties about as fast as a Porsche 991 gt2 rs
I’d like to see the data. Otherwise, I’m calling it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Where and "about as fast" equals how much slower? The 991 GT2 RS runs the Green Hell 30 seconds faster, with a significant power and straight-line acceleration disadvantage.

It's an insane car, it's still a 5,000lbs. car.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:48 pm

The same could be said for literally ANY high performance, exotic, or supercar vehicle. How many of those owners use the performance frequently? At least in this case, the Plaid seats 4 comfortably so it's more practical than some 2 seaters. But that's not the argument I'm looking to get into. I'm actually a Prius owner and I'm interested in personal experiences. But if I ever did decide to own one, there's a track not too far from my house that I would frequent.
A decent amount in my experience. But my sample size of exotic owners is pretty small:). What I don't see at the track are things like AMG S classes or BMW m760s and the like which probably is what a model S plaid lines up against more than people buying exotics or high end 911s. I don't get the appeal of those models (i.e. isn't 400 hp enough?:)) but they sell plenty of them. I am sure Tesla loves the bloated profits and press that they are getting...
z0r

Post by z0r »

can we talk about how the biggest market cap car maker in the world is selling this thing with a yoke and fixed steering ratio of >2 turns lock-to-lock? feels like society, markets, our education system, all of it is terribly inefficient
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

z0r wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:18 pm can we talk about how the biggest market cap car maker in the world is selling this thing with a yoke and fixed steering ratio of >2 turns lock-to-lock? feels like society, markets, our education system, all of it is terribly inefficient
I think they know it's stupid, but they want to do something anyway to make the car stand out. Otherwise, for the hype, I don't think it's a particularly differentiated car relative to lesser Model S (Models S?).
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Californiastate wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:04 pm

I’d like to see the data. Otherwise, I’m calling it.

My pleasure! 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBjp91zqnn8
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 pm

Where and "about as fast" equals how much slower? The 991 GT2 RS runs the Green Hell 30 seconds faster, with a significant power and straight-line acceleration disadvantage.

2 seconds slower.
Light weight baby!
SouthernInvestor

Post by SouthernInvestor »

Many modern men are troubled by the complexities of a combustion engine, and I am glad they have many options today in more suitable, electric vehicles.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 pm

2 seconds slower.
It's faster at Laguna Seca than cars that beat it by 30 secs (or more) at Nurburgring :confused
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:04 pm Very very quick, but kind of lame. No one can drive these things anywhere near as quickly as they are capable so you’re essentially paying 130k for an 8 year old car design . Part of the allure of a fast expensive car is how it looks.

And don’t get cocky on the autobahn, 16 year old M5s can walk away from a Model S Plaid - top speed 204 mph. :wink: Looks like you can pick one up for about $22k nowadays.

I disagree with "no one can drive these things anywhere near as quickly as they are capable of", as I've been following uploads and most amatuers achieve 9.2 - 9.7 1/4 mile times (insanely fast for any production vehicle). To me it seems like the easiest car to drive. Press the acceleration pedal to the floor and hold on. No need to do a burn out, don't need to get the RPMs up, no clutch, no shifting, not much driving skill there.

As for the autobahn, I don't know, I don't live in Germany, and nobody here in the US drives above 100mph on the highways for very long without risk of getting caught/arrested/prosecuted. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. But so far I haven't seen much feedback from actual owners of these cars and that's unfortunate.
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 pm

2 seconds slower.
It's faster at Laguna Seca than cars that beat it by 30 secs (or more) at Nurburgring :confused

Is this even a consideration if you're not driving on the Nurburgring? Honestly.
Light weight baby!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:04 pm Very very quick, but kind of lame. No one can drive these things anywhere near as quickly as they are capable so you’re essentially paying 130k for an 8 year old car design . Part of the allure of a fast expensive car is how it looks.

I disagree with "no one can drive these things anywhere near as quickly as they are capable of", as I've been following uploads and most amatuers achieve 9.2 - 9.7 1/4 mile times (insanely fast for any production vehicle). To me it seems like the easiest car to drive. Press the acceleration pedal to the floor and hold on. No need to do a burn out, don't need to get the RPMs up, no clutch, no shifting, not much driving skill there.

As for the autobahn, I don't know, I don't live in Germany, and nobody here in the US drives above 100mph on the highways for very long without risk of getting caught/arrested/prosecuted. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. But so far I haven't seen much feedback from actual owners of these cars and that's unfortunate.
Sure, anyone can turn on launch control and mash the accelerator to get a 1/4 mile time. And certainly the Model S Plaid does it faster than all other production cars. Unless you’re a professional driver, you’re not taking these super cars to the limit unless you have a death wish once you need to turn the wheel.

I’m not sure what feedback you’re looking for. The car is blazing fast when it comes to acceleration. In terms of top speed, 30 year old cars have it beat.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm

2 seconds slower.

Is this even a consideration if you're not driving on the Nurburgring? Honestly.
That doesn't seem at all fishy to you, like that outlier performance on Laguna maybe wasn't a stock production vehicle? There are certainly variances, but 30 seconds is an eternity on a racetrack, even one that is 13 miles; the difference between a Porsche turbo S and a stock Honda Civic Type R (I use those as reference because I've driven both of them multiple times) is <30 seconds on the Nurburgring.

Either way, it's an absurdly fast vehicle. EVs have several advantages when it comes to performance, but that video didn't really convince me that a stock plaid turns and stops as well as purpose-built sports cars weighing 1500lbs+ less.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

2 seconds slower.

Given that you are getting no feedback from owners is there some way you can test drive one of these cars?
IMHO - if you like it buy it ...if you dont do not buy it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

smitcat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:32 am

2 seconds slower.

Given that you are getting no feedback from owners is there some way you can test drive one of these cars?
You generally have to wait several weeks to even months to test drive a normal Tesla right now, you're better off renting one on Turo if you are interested. I would assume the opportunities to test drive a plaid are almost nonexistent ATM.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

A minimally modified Plaid (stripped/caged, bolt on suspension mods, and aero) beat an LeMans prototype race car at the Pikes Peak hill climb. It also beat the fastest spec Cayman GT4 race car by 20+ seconds on a shortened course. There's no question it's crazy fast (especially for a daily driveable sedan). It may be heavy, but the center of gravity is near the floor, which means it handles much better than most cars its weight. The full send launch does require some time for battery optimization, but I'd note most cars of its performance also requite quite a bit of setup on the launch control. It's going to be faster than just about anything on the street even without the full launch mode engaged.

As for whether you should buy one. If you are only ever driving on the street, a regular Model S is still plenty fast. The extra money for the plaid is a waste for 99% of drivers. Heck a dual motor Model 3 (not even performance) is as quick as cars like the Mustang Mach 1, and feels crazy quick on the street with its off the line torque. But If you have track experience and want to push the limits, the plaid is as quick as anything out there short of a million dollar+ hypercar. Nobody "needs' that sort of performance, but strictly speaking, nobody needs a car at all.
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

Ways to justify a Tesla Plaid to your wife:

1. Useful for bank robbery getaways.
2. Can do that Thelma and Louise cliff jump and maybe make the other rim.
3. Test Relativity to see if clocks change at 200 mph.
4. So fast it will outrun any bird droppings.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

pffft
exotic / supercars are so 2020

If you really want to impress the Joneses, you need your own rocket.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 am
smitcat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:32 am

2 seconds slower.

You generally have to wait several weeks to even months to test drive a normal Tesla right now, you're better off renting one on Turo if you are interested. I would assume the opportunities to test drive a plaid are almost nonexistent ATM.
I would imagine there are always ways if it was important.
Certianly would be much more valuable for the OP's questions then what is posted here.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:48 pm

I’m not sure what feedback you’re looking for. The car is blazing fast when it comes to acceleration. In terms of top speed, 30 year old cars have it beat.

I posted what feedback I'm looking for.. "first hand user experience, from ordering to delivery, dependability, value, pros and cons etc"

It's top speed is 163. More than enough for almost any track.
Light weight baby!
z91

Post by z91 »

RobLyons wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 pm

I posted what feedback I'm looking for.. "first hand user experience, from ordering to delivery, dependability, value, pros and cons etc"

If you're just looking for positive feedback, maybe try a Tesla forum. I'd imagine most BH folks frequenting this forum drive 90s imports.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:51 am A minimally modified Plaid (stripped/caged, bolt on suspension mods, and aero) beat an LeMans prototype race car at the Pikes Peak hill climb. It also beat the fastest spec Cayman GT4 race car by 20+ seconds on a shortened course.
You mean the race where there's significantly reduced oxygen due to the altitude which would give an electric vehicle a significant advantage not really found many places in the world?
starboi

Post by starboi »

Would rather have a cybertruck. 8-)
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:31 pm Forget the Plaid. Just wait for the Roadster.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster
The stat looks amazing, thanks for sharing.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

RobLyons wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 pm

I am not interested in a Tesla so I cannot help directly but....in the past I have been able to find and meet some very good folks that would let me meet with them and review their 'special' cars. Some of the places you can look are where there are car clubs, local shows , online forums etc.
There is no way to replace seeing the car and maybe driving one with varied written articles and opinions.
Good luck with whatever you do....
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Once upon a time years ago there was a forum I participated in where they were comparing a fast sports car to a very normal car that happened to have a big engine and managed to best the sports car in a straight line by 0.05 sec.

One of the responses that stuck with me was "hey look, I can strap dynamite to a cow pie and it will beat the sports car to 60 mph. But I'd still rather have the sports car".

The Tesla Plaid (and "fast" electric cars in general) always brings that statement back into memory. Especially because you need to prep it. To be fair, similar criticism applies to the Dodge Demon (only works as advertised if you do a bunch of special prep).

I think electric cars are great. However, their highest and best use (at least currently) is short distance appliance-level commute transportation. I drive on closed circuits. I drive once a month 300 miles each way with no charging at the end. My wife takes the kids to visit her sister a few times per year 500 miles each way. A buddy of mine travels for sales and puts 30k miles on his car per year. None of those scenarios works for an electric car. For a 40 mile commute in bumper to bumper traffic and a backup battery for the house in a power outage? They're the ideal appliance.

Sports cars are slowly adding electrification but the best sports cars and exotic cars remain primarily internal combustion with electric assist only which runs out after a short number of miles driven. There's a reason for that (weight). If you want a sport car experience, there remains only 1 option for now.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Its a missile on wheels. Why would you ever want it? For me its comfort, range and safety. When Audi A8 becomes all electric, I will trade in.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

I was talking to a friend who sells cars, telling him I was thinking of getting a Tesla. He said "Cruise, stay away from EVs, they are known to burst into flames. A slight puncture of the battery and whoosh!"

I laughed and gave him a friendly thrashing about. Then today, out comes this news:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-recalls ... lead_pos11

Just sharing.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 am
alfaspider wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:51 am A minimally modified Plaid (stripped/caged, bolt on suspension mods, and aero) beat an LeMans prototype race car at the Pikes Peak hill climb. It also beat the fastest spec Cayman GT4 race car by 20+ seconds on a shortened course.
You mean the race where there's significantly reduced oxygen due to the altitude which would give an electric vehicle a significant advantage not really found many places in the world?
Sure, but Pikes Peak cars typically utilize high boost forced induction to compensate. It's also not exactly a drag race. I use Pikes Peak because it was one of the very first motorsports contests entered by the Plaid (the car was delivered just a couple weeks before the race). There will be more examples. The fundamental point is that the idea that the car's performance is just for a couple of drag race runs is simply untrue and largely based on Tesla cars from almost 10 years ago utilizing obsolete tech. They may not have changed the exterior design much, but "under hood" is dramatically different.
mudphudder

Post by mudphudder »

According to one review on YouTube (by MKBHD) if you take this car to a NHRA certified drag strip, technically the rules indicate you would need a parachute to help decelerate.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

mudphudder wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:03 am According to one review on YouTube (by MKBHD) if you take this car to a NHRA certified drag strip, technically the rules indicate you would need a parachute to help decelerate.

Correct. And a roll cage. But for some reason there's some tracks that don't go by this standard (maybe they are non NHRA?).

Either way it's a nice pipe dream but obviously not necessary nor practical. Just something cool to talk about. Also I've seen a few reports of the battery dying and the owners being trapped inside :shock:

I'll continue to drive my practical 2017 Prius and my fun car a foxbody mustang with a 347 that's cost me $6k, $4k of fixing, upgrades 8-)
Light weight baby!
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:28 pm
RobLyons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:25 pm With the exciting news about how amazingly great and fast this vehicle this is, are there any Boglehead Tesla model S Plaid owners (or future) owners here? It appears the plaid outperforms most exotics and supercars so I'm interested to hear first hand user experience, from ordering to delivery, dependability, value, pros and cons etc. Thanks!
I read you have to prep the battery ahead of time which can take a few minutes.
I have an X with Ludicrous mode for 18 months or so, and I've used Ludicrous mode once. You are correct you need to stage the car (I think it heats the batteries to reduce impedance and increase current).

In spite of that, I have an order in for an X with Plaid (due Jan)
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein | *Everything I write here is an unreliable opinion*