Exercise resistance bands

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD2775

Exercise resistance bands

Post by JD2775 »

Does anyone use these?

Looking for a basic set for home strength and toning exercises (soft, medium & firm?). Don't need anything fancy but don't want cheap ones that will fall apart either. Looking for ones with detachable handles as well. 6'1 180lbs if that makes a difference. There are so many on Amazon I don't even know what to narrow it down by.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
stoptothink

Re: Exercise resistance bands

Post by stoptothink »

I have a very extensive garage gym, but I still use them for things like pallof presses. Even 'higher-end" ones are going to eventually break if you use them enough, we buy Rogue (which is considered the gold standard by most on here) bands for the PTs at my office and they eventually break. Just buy the cheapest thing that has decent reviews.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Resistance bands are a good option for travel. I like Dynapro. They are adjustable length and have padded handles.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

I have a half dozen “RITFIT” tubular bands with (nondetachable) padded handles that I bought from Amazon when I was going to a physical therapist for a rotator cuff tear. These were the same type (but not the same brand) as I used at PT. The resistance varies from 5-10 lbs to 35-40 lbs. Now that my rotator cuff is generally OK, I’ve incorporated them into my exercise regimen, both as a preventative measure against further rotator cuff injury and as an occasional alternative to the modest dumbbell exercises I do. (I’m no spring chicken, so I’m just trying to avoid losing strength rather than bulking up for the beach.) I like using the higher resistance bands and plan to get a couple more heavier ones. I’ve had them less than a year and haven’t noticed them losing any resistance yet but I expect they will at some point.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I use these...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Exercise-Fit ... /386626779

Inexpensive but meet my needs. I bought two sets so I don't need to keep swapping the handles between bands for different exercises.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
LISD

Post by LISD »

I was skeptical, not because I didn't think they were effective, but because if they break under load they could cause a bad injury.

I use them 3x per week now. But I use multiple bands instead of just one. Unlikely that 3 would break at the same time. For example, instead of using one 30 lb band I use multiple bands to get the same resistance (three 10 lb).

I bought these and they have lasted many years:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OY ... UTF8&psc=1
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

After a series of injuries doing group all-around training classes while recovering from the c*virus, I retreated to home for a recovery program upon recommendation of a PT. A friend of mine pointed me to:

https://resistancebandtraining.com/

These are very high quality bands that don't snap or break as compared to the tubular ones. I have bought junk from amazon and wal-mart and these are 5 times better and not much more expensive and will likely last years with proper care (e.g., don't stand on stones!)

The best part is Dave has hundreds of videos on proper form and technique to keep from getting injured (important for us maturing middle-agers :shock: ). I strongly suggest looking at the 28 day intro program to ensure proper usage. It may be all you need plus his free videos. Once you learn how to use them correctly, there are dozens of other resources around too.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

You might want to read the review on Wirecutter rather than just relying on those of us having the experience of one.

As far as my one, I've used the Lifeline 120 kit ($39 from you-know-where) and I've been very pleased with it. It's at least 6-7 years old and holding up fine. I disagree with Wirecutter's description and conclusion of it, but I have no basis for comparison.
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

I have had a set of Bodylastics resistance bands for 6 years. They are highly rated and have held up great.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodylastics-Stac ... B006O09M4K
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
fedworker2021

Post by fedworker2021 »

Elite FTS is probably the best bands in my opinion. That is if you don’t plan on needing a handle attachment. I’ve been using them for the past year and have had no issues at all.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:26 am I have a very extensive garage gym, but I still use them for things like pallof presses. Even 'higher-end" ones are going to eventually break if you use them enough, we buy Rogue (which is considered the gold standard by most on here) bands for the PTs at my office and they eventually break. Just buy the cheapest thing that has decent reviews.
Ditto. I got the cheapest bands that have decent reviews on amazon. They serve the purpose very well. I bought 2 sets of band (one for me and one for my wife) more than 3 years ago and they still last.

Bands are very versatile. I use them more in trigger sessions.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Thanks for the tips everyone!
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

JD2775 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:19 am Does anyone use these?

Looking for a basic set for home strength and toning exercises (soft, medium & firm?). Don't need anything fancy but don't want cheap ones that will fall apart either. Looking for ones with detachable handles as well. 6'1 180lbs if that makes a difference. There are so many on Amazon I don't even know what to narrow it down by.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Serious steel.
Good idea to avoid cheap ones as they can snap and cause blindness if they got your eyes.

Also check out x3 bar.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I use them. One of the best sites for ordering is www.performbetter.com
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I bought two sets of these, and they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/72454 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's useful to buy extra handles. You'll find that you use one color for one type of exercise, a different color for another, and extra handles saves you the trouble of always switching them from one band to another.

Also: I bought two sets because I found that the black band (the one with the most resistance) wasn't really enough for a chest press. Solution: buy an extra set, and double up on the black bands for the chest press. Or, you can mix and match the colors any way you like to arrive at the desired resistance.
djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne »

Second vote for Elitefts.
If you follow fitness and garage gym forums, YouTubers, Reddit, etc., this is the brand that always gets recommended the most.

Getting ready to build a garage gym, and getting analysis paralysis on the major, expensive components, so I see this type of question all the time.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I am seeing a lot of these brands/resistance bands you guys are recommending don't come with v-handles, door anchors etc...but they look MUCH stronger and more sturdy then the tube ones that come with all those add-ons. The problem is without the add-ons I don't really have any anchors at all in my place that I could attach them to (no home gym, or something sturdy enough to use as an anchor). I guess I would just do exercises where my body itself could be the anchor :) Which is fine, I am just looking for a good stretching regimen and maybe some strengthening/toning. I don't need anything crazy or something that can do 50 different workouts. I would rather have strength and reliability in the band (so it wont snap in my face) then the ability to use them with a door anchor
Last edited by JD2775 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Tom_T wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:06 pm I bought two sets of these, and they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/72454 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's useful to buy extra handles. You'll find that you use one color for one type of exercise, a different color for another, and extra handles saves you the trouble of always switching them from one band to another.

Also: I bought two sets because I found that the black band (the one with the most resistance) wasn't really enough for a chest press. Solution: buy an extra set, and double up on the black bands for the chest press. Or, you can mix and match the colors any way you like to arrive at the desired resistance.
For more resistance, definitely can combine multiple bands. Also, you can manipulate the resistance with tempo and angle as well. Go really slow 3-5 seconds and hold for another 3-5 seconds, you'll be surprised with the tension you can create.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm I am seeing a lot of these brands/resistance bands you guys are recommending don't come with v-handles, door anchors etc...but they look MUCH stronger and more sturdy then the tube ones that come with all those add-ons. The problem is without the add-ons I don't really have any anchors at all in my place that I could attach them to (no home gym, or something sturdy enough to use as an anchor). I guess I would just do exercises where my body itself could be the anchor :) Which is fine, I am just looking for a good stretching regimen and maybe some strengthening/toning. I don't need anything crazy or something that can do 50 different workouts
I bought my wife the set with door anchor. It's pretty valuable because you can use the door as an anchor for all the bands exercises (fly, row, press, pull down, etc.).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IL ... UTF8&psc=1
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

I got two sets on Amazon one with handles and one without. One snapped already. As a racquetball and pickleball player, I always wear impact resistant eyewear and use a pair of impact resistant sunglasses or racquetball glasses when ever I use bands to work out. Cheap insurance IMHO. Good luck.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:01 pm
JD2775 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm I am seeing a lot of these brands/resistance bands you guys are recommending don't come with v-handles, door anchors etc...but they look MUCH stronger and more sturdy then the tube ones that come with all those add-ons. The problem is without the add-ons I don't really have any anchors at all in my place that I could attach them to (no home gym, or something sturdy enough to use as an anchor). I guess I would just do exercises where my body itself could be the anchor :) Which is fine, I am just looking for a good stretching regimen and maybe some strengthening/toning. I don't need anything crazy or something that can do 50 different workouts
I bought my wife the set with door anchor. It's pretty valuable because you can use the door as an anchor for all the bands exercises (fly, row, press, pull down, etc.).

Just make sure it doesn't come flying off the door and into the users face!
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

I know you said resistance bands, but have you tried TRX straps? They are great for stabilization and strength development, adjustable, easy to pack and use anywhere (mount or throw over an interior door), and will never (hopefully) snap like a tube. They use your body weight for resistance rather than the tension of a tube. I prefer resistance bands for warm up and mobility, and they're great for PT and injury prevention. Just thought I'd give another option that's out there
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:01 pm

I bought the door anchor separately, but yes, you need it for a number of exercises. I have not been to a gym in 15 months, and I do not see any loss of fitness. Between the bands, pushups, and my usual running, I don't think I've lost anything. Working from home, it's actually easier to take a five-minute break to do a quick exercise.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Tom_T wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:10 am Working from home, it's actually easier to take a five-minute break to do a quick exercise.
+1
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

I like these

https://www.tigerfitness.com/products/p ... 6GEALw_wcB

I just bought the bands, no anchors. Didn't see a big need for the anchors or handles, as long as I have gloves or somewhere that I can loop them around. Throw them around a bed post for something like rows or just do pull-ups for more back work. To be fair, I'm not a bodybuilder or gym rat. I just try to stay health and fit.
Dancer

Post by Dancer »

Tom_T wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:10 am Working from home, it's actually easier to take a five-minute break to do a quick exercise.
Definitely. Makes it easy to do periodically mini sets
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm I would rather have strength and reliability in the band (so it wont snap in my face) then the ability to use them with a door anchor
I have been using the Bodylastics resistance bands for 4+ years to do the weekly Body by Science “Big 5” workout. I had the smallest band, the 3# yellow one, break during a workout. Since they have a cord inside the tube, there was no danger as the tube just bunched up to one of the caribiners, exposing the cord. I bought a replacement band for $10.
JD2775 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm The problem is without the add-ons I don't really have any anchors at all in my place that I could attach them to (no home gym, or something sturdy enough to use as an anchor).
I anchor them to a door using the foam strap that came with the cables. For overhead presses and squats, I have the bands under my feet.
Phaethon

Post by Phaethon »

You might also check out James Grage's Reddit channel on resistance band training and he has a company called Undersun Fitness that sells high-quality bands.