2022 Ford Maverick Megathread...;-)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xerxes101

2022 Ford Maverick Megathread...;-)

Post by xerxes101 »

I have been eying one of these new Ford trucks and judging by the value it offers, I am surprised :!: there is no megathread on this topic already :D

Base price: $21,490
40 MPG around town
offered with a hybrid engine only

...with the choice of colors to choose from, she sure is a beauty...

https://fordauthority.com/2021/06/here- ... ck-colors/
(my favorite is cactus gray!)

2.5L/162-hp/155-lb-ft Atkinson-cycle DOHC 16-valve I-4, plus 126-hp/173-lb-ft electric motors; 191 hp comb
2.0L/250-hp*/277-lb-ft* turbo DOHC 16-valve I-4

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022 ... ok-review/

What say you Bogleheads... is it actionable?
Cheers :beer
galawdawg

Re: 2022 Ford Maverick Megathread...;-)

Post by galawdawg »

Would this also be the Mercury Comet megathread?

Whoops....wrong decade! :oops:
z0r

Post by z0r »

compare to any of the junky small SUVs like crv, rav 4. Maverick costs less, gets better mpg, does more. I think it's a game changer
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

z0r wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm compare to any of the junky small SUVs like crv, rav 4. Maverick costs less, gets better mpg, does more. I think it's a game changer
Agree it’s certainly interesting. Just don’t know if I could ever bring myself to buy a Ford!
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire »

I too have been eyeing this truck. I did the online build for what I wanted and the price came to $28000. I have to see it in person to justify my want for a truck like that. I currently have a 2012 Chevy Silverado that’s ok but I feel like I really don’t need a truck that big anymore. My truck is nearly worth now as when I paid for it used 6 years ago.
Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

MadDwag wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:33 pm
z0r wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm compare to any of the junky small SUVs like crv, rav 4. Maverick costs less, gets better mpg, does more. I think it's a game changer
Agree it’s certainly interesting. Just don’t know if I could ever bring myself to buy a Ford!

If the reliability is anything close to a Ford F150, :arrow: it will be a no brainer IMO.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

My girlfriend had a ‘75 maverick and I had a ‘76 pinto hatchback. I’m still traumatized. Please don’t speak of this again!
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

I just can't get excited about a gasoline powered engine. It's like buying a computer with a magnetic hard drive instead of an SSD. It's old tech and the EVs are so much better.

Now, the electric F150 is exciting...
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Hopefully it’s better than the 1971 Ford Maverick my family had.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

My '69 Falcon was bullet proof. Even a male teen driver couldn't kill it. Good thing it only had a six cylinder under the hood.
ThisWas

Post by ThisWas »

I ordered a Maverick XL hybrid a week after its announcement. I could not find another new or used vehicle in the current car market which comes close to the Maverick's capabilities for that price. I'm waiting for a schedule date: September? October?

My wife (whose first car was an old Maverick) drives a RAV4 hybrid, and I like the hybrid's combination of electric motors and an understressed gas engine. The Toyota provides us 45-50MPG and we don't have the "range anxiety" on a long trip that we'd have with an EV in our rural area.
DH0

Post by DH0 »

It's unfortunate that the hybrid powertrain only comes in FWD. Switching to the turbo 4 + AWD hurts fuel economy and pushes the price up to point where I'd rather just get a full sized truck.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

sfnerd wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:40 pm I just can't get excited about a gasoline powered engine. It's like buying a computer with a magnetic hard drive instead of an SSD. It's old tech and the EVs are so much better.

Unfortunately, the factory building these and the new Bronco is shut down for lack of semiconductors. Not sure if the Maverick is in that factory or somewhere else.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:31 pm Hopefully it’s better than the 1971 Ford Maverick my family had.
I drove a 1970 Ford Maverick for a few years. Several family members drove it. Reliable car and very cheap to operate. I nearly died from embarrassment but otherwise okay. :wink:
A fool and his money are good for business.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We pre-ordered one 2 weeks ago, XLT with spray-in bedliner and hitch in area 51 color. Build-sheet was $24,300 and we're paying ~$26k OTD. We weren't really even in the market for another car, certainly not a truck, but this checks a lot of boxes for us (cheap, efficient, plenty of room for 4 with ability to carry all our stuff for camping, a bed to put our 85lbs. e-bikes in) so we decided to place an order. I'll be surprised if we get ours before the end of this year, but we are in no rush whatsoever, this is definitely a want and not a need. Our only previous experience with Ford was my wife's Crown Victoria, which was absolutely bulletproof, that we eventually gave to my brother-in-law.

There were 40,000+ pre-orders in the first few weeks and countless dealerships were caught sending in fake pre-orders to try to get them on their lot. With the only competitor (Hyundai Santa Cruz) being higher-priced, I think these are going to be going for well over MSRP when they start hitting dealerships.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:18 am
sfnerd wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:40 pm I just can't get excited about a gasoline powered engine. It's like buying a computer with a magnetic hard drive instead of an SSD. It's old tech and the EVs are so much better.

Unfortunately, the factory building these and the new Bronco is shut down for lack of semiconductors. Not sure if the Maverick is in that factory or somewhere else.
I believe it was recently re-opened. Scheduling of builds for the Maverick began on the 15th.
Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

ThisWas wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:04 am I ordered a Maverick XL hybrid a week after its announcement. I could not find another new or used vehicle in the current car market which comes close to the Maverick's capabilities for that price. I'm waiting for a schedule date: September? October?

My wife (whose first car was an old Maverick) drives a RAV4 hybrid, and I like the hybrid's combination of electric motors and an understressed gas engine. The Toyota provides us 45-50MPG and we don't have the "range anxiety" on a long trip that we'd have with an EV in our rural area.
So I am assuming you have to pay full MSRP when you place the order, but is there anyway not pay the full sticker price?..just thought I ask in case someone has a trick up his/her sleeve :D
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

xerxes101 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 am
ThisWas wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:04 am I ordered a Maverick XL hybrid a week after its announcement. I could not find another new or used vehicle in the current car market which comes close to the Maverick's capabilities for that price. I'm waiting for a schedule date: September? October?

So I am assuming you have to pay full MSRP when you place the order, but is there anyway not pay the full sticker price?..just thought I ask in case someone has a trick up his/her sleeve :D
I have been perusing Ford Maverick forums. There are countless dealerships advertising on the forums, guaranteeing under invoice and free (or very cheap) delivery to anywhere. One that seems to be popular is in PA and offering 4% under invoice. We just ordered from the dealer that is 2 miles from my home, for right on MSRP.
ThisWas

Post by ThisWas »

xerxes101 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 am So I am assuming you have to pay full MSRP when you place the order, but is there anyway not pay the full sticker price?..just thought I ask in case someone has a trick up his/her sleeve :D
Two Ford dealers offer 3-4% below invoice (Granger in IA and Chapman in PA) but neither is geographically convenient to me.
I'm eligible for Ford partners' X-plan pricing (modest discount) but none of the local dealers participate.
For a base model with minimal options the discounts from MSRP weren't significant.
If I didn't need another car soonish I'd wait until next year when car prices will be more sane, according to my crystal ball.
Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:18 am

I believe Maverick is being made in a Ford factory in Mexico. Is Bronco made in the same factory...either way, I am sure they are all affected by the ongoing chip shortage.
Watty

Post by Watty »

xerxes101 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:04 pm What say you Bogleheads...
I hope all the excitement about it spurs other manufactures to make even smaller pickup trucks.

That is a market segment that had been missing for a long time. I suspect that with the gas mileage and selling price a lot of businesses will be interested in it.

I just looked it up and the Maverick is 200" long which is still pretty long for me to really consider as being compact size.

2004 was the last year they made the small Tacoma before they supersized it and the double cab was about that long but the standard cab was only 179" long.

If they sell a smaller standard cab Maverick that could be a good choice for a commuter vehicle for people who want a pickup. It really bugs me when I see one person in rush hour obviously commuting in a huge pickup since that is such a waste.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Watty wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:09 am
I hope all the excitement about it spurs other manufactures to make even smaller pickup trucks.

That is a market segment that had been missing for a long time. I suspect that with the gas mileage and selling price a lot of businesses will be interested in it.

I just looked it up and the Maverick is 200" long which is still pretty long for me to really consider as being compact size.

2004 was the last year they made the small Tacoma before they supersized it and the double cab was about that long but the standard cab was only 179" long.

If they sell a smaller standard cab Maverick that could be a good choice for a commuter vehicle for people who want a pickup. It really bugs me when I see one person in rush hour obviously commuting in a huge pickup since that is such a waste.
Agreed. I would like an actual small, standard cab pickup truck, like the ones that were common in the 80’s, to use for projects around the house. This ain’t that.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:18 am

Agreed. I would like an actual small, standard cab pickup truck, like the ones that were common in the 80’s, to use for projects around the house. This ain’t that.
Nobody is going to make a small standard cab truck anymore because of emissions requirements. I could foresee somebody doing an EV one in the future; maybe. Ford doesn't make cars other than the mustang anymore, the Maverick is the truck for people who otherwise would probably looking for a compact sedan (like my family).
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:18 am... I would like an actual small, standard cab pickup truck, like the ones that were common in the 80’s, to use for projects around the house. This ain’t that.
Like the VW Rabbit Pickup ? Those always looked kind of "funny" to me :D , although I do wish they'd bring back Chevy El Camino/Ford Ranchero. Australian "Utes" are quite popular over there, not sure why Chevy/Ford doesn't bring them over here.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:26 am

Nobody is going to make a small standard cab truck anymore because of emissions requirements. I could foresee somebody doing an EV one in the future; maybe. Ford doesn't make cars other than the mustang anymore, the Maverick is the truck for people who otherwise would probably looking for a compact sedan (like my family).
Maybe so, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be very useful to lots of people. A friend has a 1990 Mazda pickup. Every time we borrow it, someone offers to buy if from us.
Watty

Post by Watty »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:26 am Nobody is going to make a small standard cab truck anymore because of emissions requirements.
I can think of lots of reasons that they might not make one but why would emissions requirements be a factor?

I would think if you just shortened the double cab Maverick that you might be able to reduce the weight by 500(?) pounds which would make the gas mileage improve and since it was lighter the car would be more peppy which would appeal to a lot of people.

That would also improve the fleet fuel efficiency.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:32 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:26 am

Maybe so, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be very useful to lots of people. A friend has a 1990 Mazda pickup. Every time we borrow it, someone offers to buy if from us.
It absolutely would be useful for lots of people, but that segment is dead (at least for ICE vehicles) because of how federal MPG requirements for manufacturers are determined. It's pretty obvious why the Maverick was made this way (crew cab, hybrid) and it just so happens to meet my family's needs perfectly, which is why we placed an order when we weren't even looking for another vehicle.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watty wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:40 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:26 am Nobody is going to make a small standard cab truck anymore because of emissions requirements.
I can think of lots of reasons that they might not make one but why would emissions requirements be a factor?

I would think if you just shortened the double cab Maverick that you might be able to reduce the weight by 500(?) pounds which would make the gas mileage improve and since it was lighter the car would be more peppy which would appeal to a lot of people.

That would also improve the fleet fuel efficiency.
There are different NHTSA efficiency standards for manufacturers based upon type of vehicle, in this case how many people a "light-duty truck" seats. With a two-seater, they'd have to (cost-effectively) figure out a way to significantly increase fuel efficiency, which is not an easy thing with a truck. Having a 4-5 seater better helps them meet their overall standards.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Not currently in the market for another or new car, but I can see it being a good choice for my family a few years from now.

Has anyone sat in the back to get a feel for leg room & comfort? Especially for longer trips.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

sycamore wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:30 pm Not currently in the market for another or new car, but I can see it being a good choice for my family a few years from now.

Has anyone sat in the back to get a feel for leg room & comfort? Especially for longer trips.
There are multiple threads on the maverick forums about this. Apparently the cab is similar in size to the ranger, just narrower, so head and leg room aren't a big issue. In one picture from the Chicago auto show, there was a 6'6" gentleman in back, sitting behind a 6'5" driver; not something you'd want to do for a long trip, but plenty comfortable for a short drive.
JPM

Post by JPM »

'71 Maverick great for cheap thrills. Not luxe at all, very basic and manual everything. Did 90 mph in second gear and not straining at 110in 3rd. In the late 80s a 16 year old 70s Mav outran a police cruiser in Lake County, Ill doing 130+ when we were living there. Wasn't mine but gotta admit it made me smile. Super reliable. Spent $5 for a part for a DIY repair once mid 70s and no other maintenance but oil/filter and tires for the 4 years we had it. Would like never to have sold it, but family was growing.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Iirc, no commitment for delivery dates are being made.

It easily be 3Q22 until you get one.

By then the Kia/Hyundai truck will be here.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

phxjcc wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm Iirc, no commitment for delivery dates are being made.

It easily be 3Q22 until you get one.

By then the Kia/Hyundai truck will be here.
If we don't have it by early 2022, we'll probably get our deposit back. Less than zero interest in the Hyundai Santa Cruz; simply doesn't meet our needs (more expensive, no hybrid, smaller bed) and wow is it ugly.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I'm more of a sedan guy, but if I were ever going to buy a truck, the Maverick would be it. All other trucks, even the Ranger, have just become too darn big.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

augryphon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:35 pm My girlfriend had a ‘75 maverick and I had a ‘76 pinto hatchback. I’m still traumatized. Please don’t speak of this again!
My first car was a Pumpkin Orange '71 Pinto (made in Germany) - blew a head gasket. In college, I had a '73 Yellow Maverick with a 3 speed on the column and a brown bench front seat - scary in snowy weather.

The new Maverick looks interesting. I stopped an looked at the Bronco at our local dealer earlier today. $33 base with $6K in options - WOW
ClassII

Post by ClassII »

I'm going to reserve final judgement until I see one in person. I've been jonesing for a Honda Ridgeline now that they finally made it look decent. It is funny to me that Honda could get zero respect for the Ridgeline all these years but then here comes Ford with an even lighter duty unibody (hybrid!) truck and its constant praise. That said we're talking about two very differently sized vehicles. But yeah count me as one of those that can't stand how gaudy and over powered trucks have gotten lately. Seeing so many people doing nothing more than taking them to work and the grocery store just feels like the height of American gluttony to me. This coming from someone that routinely does truck stuff!
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

We usually don't buy first model year vehicles but we made an exception in the case of the 2022 Maverick. Put our order in for the XLT with the hybrid engine on June 23rd; initial feedback from Ford to the dealership was November delivery. The first Mavericks are scheduled to go into production next month and they have many thousands of orders in the que.

BTW, my first new car was a 1976 Maverick. That thing took me everywhere, from coast to coast, from sun to snow. Put over 100K miles on it and then let it go. It was a 3-speed on the column; not sure if any Millennials have ever had the pleasure of driving with that setup.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ClassII wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm It is funny to me that Honda could get zero respect for the Ridgeline all these years but then here comes Ford with an even lighter duty unibody (hybrid!) truck and its constant praise.
You don't think the $15k+ difference in price and the base model hybrid powertrain (it's the cheapest hybrid, period) has anything to do with it? I guess the Ridgeline answered the "too big" question regarding modern trucks, but it's still expensive and not particularly fuel efficient.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ychuck46 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:38 pm BTW, my first new car was a 1976 Maverick. That thing took me everywhere, from coast to coast, from sun to snow. Put over 100K miles on it and then let it go. It was a 3-speed on the column; not sure if any Millennials have ever had the pleasure of driving with that setup.
I drove my parents’ old Maverick in college in the mid 80’s. Three on the tree was an anti theft mechanism even then. I took that car to a concert where there was valet parking. The valets didn’t know how to drive it. After the concert, I ended up giving them a lesson.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Too bad it can't be configured with a 7.2kW pure sine wave inverter like the F-150 hybrid.
London

Post by London »

ncbill wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:30 pm Too bad it can't be configured with a 7.2kW pure sine wave inverter like the F-150 hybrid.
That vehicle costs twice as much.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

tim1999 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:52 pm I'm more of a sedan guy, but if I were ever going to buy a truck, the Maverick would be it. All other trucks, even the Ranger, have just become too darn big.
It definitely catches my interest. It would be nice to have a pickup where you could actually load things from the side; these days nearly everything is shoulder height or worse.

I certainly couldn't do everything with the Maverick that I do with my current truck, but it might be a decent compromise for general use if/when I sell my trailer. With that short of a bed, I'd probably want some sort of a lumber/ladder rack that I could put on when needed.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

augryphon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:35 pm My girlfriend had a ‘75 maverick and I had a ‘76 pinto hatchback. I’m still traumatized. Please don’t speak of this again!
I had my Dad’s used 1976 Maverick in early 1980’s. It was ok, but had a lot of problems"....
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:55 am
I had my Dad’s used 1976 Maverick in early 1980’s. It was ok, but had a lot of problems"....
My first company car was a Maverick. It was OK, certainly reliable. It wasn't as ugly as my next company car, a Ford Fairmont.

Our first new car was a 1974 Pinto, aka Chariot of Fire! In truth, the car was bulletproof. Originally had no A/C. We had a universal A/C installed by Sears, and the car was cold enough to hang meat inside.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I am all for a smaller pickup and that 40mpg stat is awesome....but that front end....yikes, and the back looks too Avalanche/Ridgeline 'y for my tastes
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:25 pm
tim1999 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:52 pm I'm more of a sedan guy, but if I were ever going to buy a truck, the Maverick would be it. All other trucks, even the Ranger, have just become too darn big.
It definitely catches my interest. It would be nice to have a pickup where you could actually load things from the side; these days nearly everything is shoulder height or worse.

I certainly couldn't do everything with the Maverick that I do with my current truck, but it might be a decent compromise for general use if/when I sell my trailer. With that short of a bed, I'd probably want some sort of a lumber/ladder rack that I could put on when needed.
You never load items over the side! That’s how you get belt buckle scratches. That’s truck 101.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I can't remember the last time I got excited about a new vehicle release. It would be a no brainer for me if they made one with a regular cab and longer truck bed.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’ve never owned a new vehicle but I’m considering this one.
Nate7out

Post by Nate7out »

Also never owned a new vehicle or a truck and considering this one. It looks like a very practical vehicle for a frugal guy like me. I did a reservation, but did not call the dealer back yet. Looking at the hybrid so it can be my daily driver, but also support my outdoors activities and DIY home stuff which is probably only 10% of the usage.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

With a 4.5' bed you might as well throw a roof over it and call it a small SUV. It's going to be wasted space 99% of the time for the people that would buy a vehicle like this.

However, the price A+.