2022 Ford Maverick Megathread...;-)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: 2022 Ford Maverick Megathread...;-)

Post by stoptothink »

adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 am With a 4.5' bed you might as well throw a roof over it and call it a small SUV. It's going to be wasted space 99% of the time for the people that would buy a vehicle like this.

However, the price A+.
How would that space be less "wasted" if it were an SUV? That SUV already exists (escape hybrid) and starts at $11k more.

We're in that boat, weren't even considering a truck, but there are certainly times when it would be useful (ie transporting our e-bikes, which are too heavy for almost all racks) and there's no real downside compared to what we were actually considering (another small sedan).
Sun88

Post by Sun88 »

If the Maverick came with PHEV capablity with 40+ miles EV range and a sine wave inverter, for an additional $5K or so, it would be perfect! I'm holding out for the upgrades in a year or so.
That said, this truck feels like the spiritual successor to the Datsun and Mazda pick-ups I drove back in the day. Those were fun vehicles!
Watty

Post by Watty »

adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 am With a 4.5' bed you might as well throw a roof over it and call it a small SUV. It's going to be wasted space 99% of the time for the people that would buy a vehicle like this.

However, the price A+.
It seems like 99% of the people that I see driving around in a pickup have an empty bed anyway since they are just using it as a daily driver.

If a pickup like this allows them to get their truck fix for half the price it should be a big hit.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

I'm always looking for something that I can take on a few bad roads to get to fishing/hiking trailheads. So, I need at the very least ground clearance. It would be nice to have 4WD or a capable AWD. I question the unibody construction of this thing ... they are really cars with a bed on the back, right? Anyway, one of the links says this thing will top out at around 35K when you load it up ... honestly at that price point, the Tacoma becomes a no-brainer for me.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Sun88 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 am If the Maverick came with PHEV capablity with 40+ miles EV range and a sine wave inverter, for an additional $5K or so, it would be perfect! I'm holding out for the upgrades in a year or so.
That said, this truck feels like the spiritual successor to the Datsun and Mazda pick-ups I drove back in the day. Those were fun vehicles!
My thoughts exactly. With the federal tax credits available for PHEV's, they could increase the price by $7500 for a net-zero price increase for many customers. Even if they had to increase the price by $10k or more, I think they'd sell a lot of them. That said, they probably aren't doing this to keep the engine choices to a minimum and keep the price as low as possible. 40mpg on gas is around where we break even on gas vs. electricity costs even though our electric is reasonably priced, so it's more convenience than a money saver.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am I'm always looking for something that I can take on a few bad roads to get to fishing/hiking trailheads. So, I need at the very least ground clearance. It would be nice to have 4WD or a capable AWD. I question the unibody construction of this thing ... they are really cars with a bed on the back, right? Anyway, one of the links says this thing will top out at around 35K when you load it up ... honestly at that price point, the Tacoma becomes a no-brainer for me.
Yes, the body also serves as the frame, just like the huge majority of SUVs (it's on the same chassis as the bronco sport). It's not a 4-runner, but certainly capable of mild off-roading.

The value proposition is clearly at the lower range of the scale. If you want to check every box you'll get a completely loaded Maverick for probably a little less than a bare bones base model Tacoma; at that pricepoint I have no interest whatsoever in either vehicle (but clearly a lot of others do).
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Following this as well. I'm not planning for another vehicle until 2023 or so (kids need to get out of car seats before I buy a new one), but once I saw this it went straight to the top of my list.

Hoping all of the bugs will be worked out by then.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

i would rather pay some more for toyota tacoma
Thanks!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:12 am

However, the price A+.
How would that space be less "wasted" if it were an SUV? That SUV already exists (escape hybrid) and starts at $11k more.

We're in that boat, weren't even considering a truck, but there are certainly times when it would be useful (ie transporting our e-bikes, which are too heavy for almost all racks) and there's no real downside compared to what we were actually considering (another small sedan).
Price is certainly valid. If you don't need an SUV and can save eleven grand, then that's a win.

I would expect you could find eBike racks that would work. There are motorcycle racks out there. I would be quite surprised that a couple eBikes would weigh more than a 300 pound dirt bike.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

manuvns wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am i would rather pay some more for toyota tacoma
I don't really see the Maverick and Tacoma as direct competitors, sure some overlap in users but I haven't considered the Tacoma a "small" truck since 2004. For people who like the Maverick I'd guess it's the small size that's appealing, that and the gas mileage.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:37 am
stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:12 am

However, the price A+.

I would expect you could find eBike racks that would work. There are motorcycle racks out there. I would be quite surprised that a couple eBikes would weigh more than a 300 pound dirt bike.
Most e-bike racks only handle bikes up to 65lbs each. Our full-suspension, fat bikes, with enough battery to go 85+ miles are 85lbs. Really, the only thing we can find on the market that would work is made by titan, and has terrible (mostly 1*) reviews. We're looking at double dirt bike racks, which all combined would be ~250lbs. I'm not too comfortable with 250lbs. of tongue weight on most cars (the hitch on the Maverick is rated for 400lbs, so preliminary info says), just easier to put it in the bed.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 am
manuvns wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am i would rather pay some more for toyota tacoma
I don't really see the Maverick and Tacoma as direct competitors, sure some overlap in users but I haven't considered the Tacoma a "small" truck since 2004. For people who like the Maverick I'd guess it's the small size that's appealing, that and the gas mileage.
understood , it's just that toyota has proven that it will last longer than many others .
Thanks!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

manuvns wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:11 pm
understood , it's just that toyota has proven that it will last longer than many others .
It has also proven that it's frame will rust, that it will simultaneously have less power and less efficiency than competitors, and have less amenities but will be more expensive. Depends on your situation whether a Tacoma is right for you. Huge Toyota fan, but it's not like they have some monopoly on building a decent truck; Ford seems to have sold a few.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

z0r wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm compare to any of the junky small SUVs like crv, rav 4. Maverick costs less, gets better mpg, does more. I think it's a game changer
Excuse me sir, going to need you to pull over. No smack talk about the CRV or any Honda will be allowed. Especially when comparing it to a Ford.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:31 pm
It has also proven that it's frame will rust, that it will simultaneously have less power and less efficiency than competitors, and have less amenities but will be more expensive. Depends on your situation whether a Tacoma is right for you. Huge Toyota fan, but it's not like they have some monopoly on building a decent truck; Ford seems to have sold a few.
No question that the F150 is a great proven truck. The Maverick is not that. This is a first year model unibody sedan with a box in the back with decent ground clearance, with available AWD (NOT 4WD). If you do get the AWD/Offroad option, I wonder how much more this thing will cost?

I'm the one that started the Tacoma comparison and I agree that I'm not as big a fan of their pickups as I used to be (I've owned three but never a Tacoma). But seriously, there is not going to be any real comparison of the capability of the Maverick with a Tacoma. And if they cost near the same amount? Even more so.

But anyway, the unibody construction is the deal killer for me and makes me think that it's not really a truck. Unibody construction is not done for durability or for better capability, it's just cheaper ... and yes I suppose many SUVs are also unibody and yes I also don't think that any of them are good choices for people that need some actual off road capability. If you just need to take your mtn bikes down to a nearby trailhead where you might possibly have to go down a gravel road, or you have some lumber to take home for a DIY project, then I'm sure the Maverick will be a great choice.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:31 pm
No question that the F150 is a great proven truck. The Maverick is not that. This is a first year model unibody sedan with a box in the back with decent ground clearance, with available AWD (NOT 4WD). If you do get the AWD/Offroad option, I wonder how much more this thing will cost?

I'm the one that started the Tacoma comparison and I agree that I'm not as big a fan of their pickups as I used to be (I've owned three but never a Tacoma). But seriously, there is not going to be any real comparison of the capability of the Maverick with a Tacoma. And if they cost near the same amount? Even more so.

Your apples to oranges comparison makes no sense. The amount of people cross-shopping a Tacoma and a Maverick is pretty much non-existent, and that is on purpose: it's called the ranger. Go visit a Maverick forum, most of those interested were cross-shopping compact sedans or small SUVs, not Tacomas; this is the truck for people who might not have ever considered a truck. I could load up an F150 with every option in the book and its cost would be similar to a base corvette, does that make them competitors :confused
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

If you are in the market for a small pickup, then Toyota offers you the Tacoma. It's not that small but it's what is available. The size of it may be a deal killer for you but it's not for many other people who would actually prefer a smaller vehicle (like me). Ford now offers the Maverick. I think the size is great for me but as I said there are other aspects of it that are deal killers for me.

So anyway, I'm a counterexample to your claim that the overlap of people comparing these two vehicles is non-existent. I suspect that I'm not the only one, don't you? :D

The Ranger is impossible for me due to it's horrific reliability ratings. Another reason for people considering the Maverick to take pause. Ford is quite capable of building unreliable vehicles also. Especially I would think in a first model year.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:53 pm If you are in the market for a small pickup, then Toyota offers you the Tacoma. It's not that small but it's what is available. The size of it may be a deal killer for you but it's not for many other people who would actually prefer a smaller vehicle (like me). Ford now offers the Maverick. I think the size is great for me but as I said there are other aspects of it that are deal killers for me.

So anyway, I'm a counterexample to your claim that the overlap of people comparing these two vehicles is non-existent. I suspect that I'm not the only one, don't you? :D

The Ranger is impossible for me due to it's horrific reliability ratings. Another reason for people considering the Maverick to take pause. Ford is quite capable of building unreliable vehicles also. Especially I would think in a first model year.
Whether you like it or not, Ford makes a very direct Tacoma competitor; similar in size, cost, body-on-frame, available 4wd... If you wouldn't consider a Ranger, I am very confused why you would be disappointed in a totally different truck from the same manufacturer, that isn't even meant to compete with the vehicle you are considering? Buy your Tacoma, you clearly aren't the target market and there are 80,000+ pre-orders for the Maverick.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

Wait until you see the new Ford Mustang.
https://fordtrend.com/2022-ford-mustang/
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:26 pm
pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:53 pm If you are in the market for a small pickup, then Toyota offers you the Tacoma. It's not that small but it's what is available. The size of it may be a deal killer for you but it's not for many other people who would actually prefer a smaller vehicle (like me). Ford now offers the Maverick. I think the size is great for me but as I said there are other aspects of it that are deal killers for me.

Whether you like it or not, Ford makes a very direct Tacoma competitor; similar in size, cost, body-on-frame, available 4wd... If you wouldn't consider a Ranger, I am very confused why you would be disappointed in a totally different truck from the same manufacturer, that isn't even meant to compete with the vehicle you are considering? Buy your Tacoma, you clearly aren't the target market and there are 80,000+ pre-orders for the Maverick.
I didn't say anywhere that the Tacoma is my "ideal truck". But thank you anyway for your kind advice that I should buy one. If you read what I wrote instead of going off half-cocked, you'll see that I have said that the Tacoma is indeed not my ideal. The Ranger is indeed also large and expensive both being aspects that I do not like. I'm so sorry that you're very confused that I'm disappointed in a new seemingly small truck that is being put out by Ford. I think your confusion may be due to a lack of attention to what I was saying. I bet if you go back now and read what I actually wrote, you'll understand.

And I've never said that there isn't going to be a market for this vehicle ... so the triumphal statement about the 80K orders is also completely irrelevant.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Watty wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 am

However, the price A+.
It seems like 99% of the people that I see driving around in a pickup have an empty bed anyway since they are just using it as a daily driver.

If a pickup like this allows them to get their truck fix for half the price it should be a big hit.
Exactly! And it would be good for the environment, too, as it consumes about half the gas of a typical pickup.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Toyota should respond by putting the Rav4 hybrid engine in their Tacoma as a 4cyl option.
The main reason we've never considered a truck is how horrible the mpg is on all the "compact" ones - unless dropping big $ for a Colorado diesel or getting a full-sized truck, low-option with a diesel (which can best Toyota mpgs by a lot); and I'd prefer a gas hybrid anyways.
30+ mpg in a [new] small truck that cost under $30k, leaves only the Maverick!

... this is an interesting vehicle and it could be a replacement to my Rav4 Prime. I'll wait to see if AWD gets offered with the hybrid in 2023 and more importantly, if updated Ford CoPilot 360 assist/+ is fully available on a lower end trim. Better chances for these options after the initial launch year to boost sales in MY 2 or 3...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

surfstar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm Toyota should respond by putting the Rav4 hybrid engine in their Tacoma as a 4cyl option.
The main reason we've never considered a truck is how horrible the mpg is on all the "compact" ones - unless dropping big $ for a Colorado diesel or getting a full-sized truck, low-option with a diesel (which can best Toyota mpgs by a lot); and I'd prefer a gas hybrid anyways.
30+ mpg in a [new] small truck that cost under $30k, leaves only the Maverick!

... this is an interesting vehicle and it could be a replacement to my Rav4 Prime. I'll wait to see if AWD gets offered with the hybrid in 2023 and more importantly, if updated Ford CoPilot 360 assist/+ is fully available on a lower end trim. Better chances for these options after the initial launch year to boost sales in MY 2 or 3...
Even if Toyota sold them for $40k, they'd sell a heck of a lot of them. I doubt anybody is going to attract the same general market as Ford because nobody is going to match the pricepoint (we've already seen Hyundai won't and they don't even offer a hybrid).
onourway

Post by onourway »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm But anyway, the unibody construction is the deal killer for me and makes me think that it's not really a truck. Unibody construction is not done for durability or for better capability, it's just cheaper ... and yes I suppose many SUVs are also unibody and yes I also don't think that any of them are good choices for people that need some actual off road capability. If you just need to take your mtn bikes down to a nearby trailhead where you might possibly have to go down a gravel road, or you have some lumber to take home for a DIY project, then I'm sure the Maverick will be a great choice.
The American market has a more than ample selection of body on frame pickup trucks and suv’s. While a relatively small minority of those buyers actually need that capability, the BOF design has significant downsides in terms of ride quality and handling - things that the target market for the Maverick will appreciate a lot more than off-road capability they don’t need.

I’m sure there is some remaining tail of the truck market that isn’t fully satisfied with the available options, and you’d seem to fit that space. Many of us would LOVE a utilitarian vehicle that can be used for light hauling duties that ALSO gets 40mpg, affordably. That’s a market segment in which there has previously been zero options.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

onourway wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:35 pm
pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm But anyway, the unibody construction is the deal killer for me and makes me think that it's not really a truck. Unibody construction is not done for durability or for better capability, it's just cheaper ... and yes I suppose many SUVs are also unibody and yes I also don't think that any of them are good choices for people that need some actual off road capability. If you just need to take your mtn bikes down to a nearby trailhead where you might possibly have to go down a gravel road, or you have some lumber to take home for a DIY project, then I'm sure the Maverick will be a great choice.
The American market has a more than ample selection of body on frame pickup trucks and suv’s. While a relatively small minority of those buyers actually need that capability, the BOF design has significant downsides in terms of ride quality and handling - things that the target market for the Maverick will appreciate a lot more than off-road capability they don’t need.

I’m sure there is some remaining tail of the truck market that isn’t fully satisfied with the available options, and you’d seem to fit that space. Many of us would LOVE a utilitarian vehicle that can be used for light hauling duties that ALSO gets 40mpg, affordably. That’s a market segment in which there has previously been zero options.
+1 Nobody is going to make what pezblanco wants. The compact truck market died because nobody bought them and they made it difficult for manufacturers to meet NHTSA fuel economy guidelines, the maverick (and to a lesser extent, the Santa Cruz) - with car-like size, efficiency, comfort, and cost - represent a totally new market.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

The light truck segment has been like cell phones. They keep making them bigger and bigger until people complain they’ve gotten too big.

I wonder how well a Subaru Baja with the Toyota hybrid system in it would sell. It’d be a better fit than the Maverick. It would probably cost $45k though.
ctfish

Post by ctfish »

adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:53 pm The light truck segment has been like cell phones. They keep making them bigger and bigger until people complain they’ve gotten too big.

I wonder how well a Subaru Baja with the Toyota hybrid system in it would sell. It’d be a better fit than the Maverick. It would probably cost $45k though.
I would like a size numbers comparison between the Baja and Maverick.

Edit: Baja is smaller
https://www.google.com/search?q=subaru+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

ctfish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:03 pm
adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:53 pm The light truck segment has been like cell phones. They keep making them bigger and bigger until people complain they’ve gotten too big.

I would like a size numbers comparison between the Baja and Maverick.

Edit: Baja is smaller
https://www.google.com/search?q=subaru+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Because while everyone says they want a small truck they don’t buy one. See iPhone 12 mini vs iPhone 12.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:40 pm
onourway wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:35 pm

+1 Nobody is going to make what pezblanco wants. The compact truck market died because nobody bought them and they made it difficult for manufacturers to meet NHTSA fuel economy guidelines, the maverick (and to a lesser extent, the Santa Cruz) - with car-like size, efficiency, comfort, and cost - represent a totally new market.
I'm afraid I have to agree with this .... The old Toyota Hi-Lux (never sold in this country) was my idea of what a 4WD pickup should be .... small, light, capable, durable. The fuel economy guidelines destroyed the small pickup segment ... paradoxically forcing many people to buy much larger vehicles than they wanted and thus wasting fuel in that way.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

As DINKS with camping, climbing and paddle boards to haul around, we'd want an efficient, two-seater, with lots of cargo space.
Basically the Sienna hybrid minivan; is what actually would fill our needs very well. Some soft-road capability would be helpful too. So perhaps the Sienna Woodlands edition that is supposedly forthcoming. But I'm sure that'll be $45k. Would prefer a $30k or less budget, b/c the best way to make a care more capable offroad is to not care about it!
I'd prefer a Maverick with an access-cab size and a longer bed. We rarely, rarely have passengers and prefer the cargo space.

I'll also take an Outback with the Rav4 hybrid engine, or similar. The new Tucson hybrid comes close, and might be the largest cargo area of a smaller, more efficient CUV, but I really like how Toyota does hybrids. Alas, no perfect vehicle for us, yet.

The low-cost of the Maverick can go a long ways to making it the "best" vehicle for us... I'll be paying attention to ownership reviews, real-world mpg, etc.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

surfstar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:15 pm
I'll also take an Outback with the Rav4 hybrid engine, or similar. The new Tucson hybrid comes close, and might be the largest cargo area of a smaller, more efficient CUV, but I really like how Toyota does hybrids. Alas, no perfect vehicle for us, yet.

The low-cost of the Maverick can go a long ways to making it the "best" vehicle for us... I'll be paying attention to ownership reviews, real-world mpg, etc.
The 2022 Outback is suppose to have a hybrid option. It was going to be released as a 2021 MY, but COVID delayed its release. With the Crosstrek hybrid being around $35k I would be surprised to see an Outback hybrid north of $40k.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 pm

The 2022 Outback is suppose to have a hybrid option. It was going to be released as a 2021 MY, but COVID delayed its release. With the Crosstrek hybrid being around $35k I would be surprised to see an Outback hybrid north of $40k.
Ford just undercut everybody with the $20k base pricepoint. Walk-throughs look great so far, but I am curious to see in person where the corners were cut on the $23k XLT (~$26k OTD) we ordered. Even though we can pretty much afford whatever we want, I still can't stomach spending $40k+ on a car.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 pm

And the Crosstrek 'hybrid' is actually a PHEV which qualifies for federal tax credit, borrowing hybrid tech from Toyota. Unfortunately cargo area gets impacted by the battery, and if also true for an Outback hybrid/PHEV, that might lower the appeal to us.
Lots of great options coming out, though.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

adestefan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 pm With the Crosstrek hybrid being around $35k I would be surprised to see an Outback hybrid north of $40k.
The Outback is quite a bit larger than the Crosstrek, and its current (non-hybrid) top trim is already at $40K, so the hybrid will surely go over that in the higher trims.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

z0r wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm compare to any of the junky small SUVs like crv, rav 4. Maverick costs less, gets better mpg, does more. I think it's a game changer
Who cross shops compact SUVs and pickup trucks? They are vehicles with completely different capabilities marketed to completely different customers.

Somebody with a bunch of young kids that lives in an apartment in a dense urban area has no need or want to buy a pickup truck no matter how good the gas mileage IMHO. And before I get flamed .... I own a pickup.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jharkin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am
Who cross shops compact SUVs and pickup trucks? They are vehicles with completely different capabilities marketed to completely different customers.

Somebody with a bunch of young kids that lives in an apartment in a dense urban area has no need or want to buy a pickup truck no matter how good the gas mileage IMHO. And before I get flamed .... I own a pickup.
Based upon the Ford Maverick forums, a lot of those who have pre-ordered were not looking for a pickup, this a civic/corolla or small SUV replacement for them. We have 2 kids, live in an urban area, and were not even remotely considering a pickup when we decided to order a Maverick. It's replacing a CRV and Hyundai Santa Fe for the two other people I know who have ordered (wife's friend and a neighbor, with 2 and 3 kids respectively in an urban area).
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

jharkin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am
*raises hand*
Own a Rav4 Prime. Previously Golf Sportwagen. On our trips 99% of the time the rear seats are down, fully loaded vehicle. Basically a pickup with a shell. Which is why I'd prefer an access-cab sized Maverick with a tiny jumpseat for rare, short use and a longer bed.
Or put a decent mpg hybrid engine into a small 2-door pickup.
Sienna hybrid is almost compelling...

Many "outdoorsy" people cross-shop Tacomas and Outbacks currently.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

No AWD in the hybrid version tho! Otherwise I'd be eyeing it as a CR-V replacement.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Just put my order in for a Cactus Gray Lariat with the Lariat Luxury Package and Ford Co-Pilot 360. The dealer is waiving the acquisition fee so it should be $30,865 out the door. I should be able to sell my Accord and Full sized truck for about $20K so not too bad of an additional balance.

This is only my second brand new vehicle and the only vehicle purchase I've actually been excited about.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:55 am
augryphon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:35 pm My girlfriend had a ‘75 maverick and I had a ‘76 pinto hatchback. I’m still traumatized. Please don’t speak of this again!
I had my Dad’s used 1976 Maverick in early 1980’s. It was ok, but had a lot of problems"....
I'm pretty sure we had a tan Ford Maverick in the early 70s.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jharkin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am Who cross shops compact SUVs and pickup trucks? They are vehicles with completely different capabilities marketed to completely different customers.
I want it to tow an RV. An Outback would work but the hybrid isn’t available yet and we want one. Also the Maverick should be cheaper, maybe a lot cheaper. If I get the Maverick I would buy the high performance option with the towing package. I want to be able to climb mountains with the RV without worry.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Ford kinda going back to what they did with the Courier back in the 70's. Now THAT was a small truck, even if it was made by Mazda. Ford put their name on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cour ... 80%931976)
mrc

Post by mrc »

Atilla wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:31 pm Ford kinda going back to what they did with the Courier back in the 70's. Now THAT was a small truck, even if it was made by Mazda. Ford put their name on it.

My first vehicle was a '78 Courier in a 70s milk chocolate brown. Leased it for ~$85/month. Those were the days.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

I'm definitely interested in this. I drove a '92 Ranger for many years, and it's by far my favorite of all the vehicles I've owned. I was excited when the Ranger was reintroduced, until I saw how big it was.

I don't need any off-road or towing capability--I would just like to be able to easily carry things like mulch and shrubs and lumber from the Home Depot every so often.

Also, it looks comfortable to get in and out of. I got tired of climbing into my Ram 1500 and now I'm starting to get tired of climbing out of my Accord.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:07 am
Dottie57 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:55 am
augryphon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:35 pm My girlfriend had a ‘75 maverick and I had a ‘76 pinto hatchback. I’m still traumatized. Please don’t speak of this again!
I had my Dad’s used 1976 Maverick in early 1980’s. It was ok, but had a lot of problems"....
My first company car was a Maverick. It was OK, certainly reliable. It wasn't as ugly as my next company car, a Ford Fairmont.

Our first new car was a 1974 Pinto, aka Chariot of Fire! In truth, the car was bulletproof. Originally had no A/C. We had a universal A/C installed by Sears, and the car was cold enough to hang meat inside.

Broken Man 1999
The first car I purchased by myself was an early 80s Honda Civic hatchback. No A/C as could not afford it. In the summer, after baking in the parking lot, I would arrive home soaked in sweat. Next car had A/C.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Atilla wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:31 pm Ford kinda going back to what they did with the Courier back in the 70's. Now THAT was a small truck, even if it was made by Mazda. Ford put their name on it.

Arguably most of Ford's better products were made by, or at least engineered by, Mazda.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

mrc wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:53 am

My first vehicle was a '78 Courier in a 70s milk chocolate brown. Leased it for ~$85/month. Those were the days.
Before you get too nostalgic: $85/mo then would be about $350/mo now. You can lease a lot of good cars for less than that today.
Fishing2retire

Post by Fishing2retire »

As a owner of a 2012 Chevy 1/2 ton that gets 16 city 19/20 hwy this looks like a good option after it’s out a couple of years. As an avid fisherman and occasionally hunting and a DIYer this fits my bill.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

For those who have, or who are interested in, a pickup, how do you all transport groceries or luggage in them?

Particularly in the summer heat, spring rains, or winter snows, when all of the interior space is occupied?
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

02nz wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Arguably most of Ford's better products were made by, or at least engineered by, Mazda.
The first car I ever purchased - in high school - was a used Ford Probe. Made by Mazda. I'd agree it was pretty decently engineered.

That being said, Ford has a pretty good engineering history itself. Family has had some hit or miss products - an early 90's ranger had numerous issues, but three subsequent Rangers had almost no issues despite all going to high mileage. We also had good luck with Explorer's going to high mileage too in the family (have had 4), including an '06 still going at 240k. I expect an eventual transmission rebuild (known weakness on it) on it, but except for a wheel hub & AC issue one year we've never spent more than $500 on repairs in a year - usually just standard maintenance. Hard to ask for much more in a vehicle IMO in terms of reliability. I mean, we've had slightly better luck with Honda long-term costs (Toyotas have been similar to Ford for us), but not earth shatteringly so. They do have some definite misses in their history though, but I'd like to think they're operating a bit differently in recent years (or at least seem to). Would probably wait on a specific engine/power-train to be in consumer hands for at least a year though (they tend to share across platforms, so that may not be consequential with the non-hybrid engine option for example).