Do you know Cape Cod? October visit suggestions solicited!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bammerman

Do you know Cape Cod? October visit suggestions solicited!

Post by Bammerman »

EDIT: Changed the subject line because we've decided, thanks to various suggestions, to visit (Boston and) Cape Cod, rather than Portland, Maine. Now we're thinking of flying in to Boston and taking the bus to (for example) Barnstable/Hyannis and using that town or another as a base for exploring Cape Cod by rental car for three or four days, then returning to Boston for some days there. Can you recommend a "best place" for basing ourselves on Cape Cod with this in mind? Thanks!

My wife and I are going to fly into Boston in mid-October, arriving at 8:00 am. We want to spend a couple of days in Boston and a couple of days in and around Portland, Maine, but we're not fixed yet on the order: Maybe we should go to Portland first, and then to Boston. I'm trying to minimize long highway drives this time because I often end up feeling like all I've done all vacation is drive, but sometimes that's just the best way. We can do without a car when we're in Boston, just walking or using public transportation (where should we stay? Suggestions?). One reason we're thinking of going to Portland first is so we can use that early morning time after our early flight arrives napping or looking out the window of the bus or train taking us there. The bus seems like a good option since it leaves from the airport terminal. And then we could rent a car upon arrival in Portland, so we can explore the surrounding area somewhat (any suggestions about where to stay?). If we skip renting a car in Boston and take the bus or train to Portland, we can just return to Boston for sightseeing there by the same means.

But, if you know this area, would you recommend instead that we rent a car at Boston-Logan and just drive directly to Portland? Are the sightseeing views worth it? If we do that, though, we're stuck with the car on our hands when we visit Boston. Our return flight from Boston leaves at 8:43 am (ugh!) so we might want to stay our last night very near the airport.

You can see that we haven't got very far in planning this trip! So far all we really have is our airplane tickets to Boston. So if you know the area and have any thoughts or suggestions, please feel free! We're trying to devise as hassle- and stress-free vacation trip as we can.
Last edited by Bammerman on Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredCSProf

Re: Do you know Boston and Portland, Maine? Fun to drive? Or just take bus or train? Other travel suggestions?

Post by RetiredCSProf »

I used to fly into Logan Airport at least once a year to visit my parents who owned a home in Southern NH. I usually flew the red eye from LAX and arrived in Boston in the morning. From there, I took the Trailways bus to Portsmouth, NH -- I booked the bus trip in advance. Always a pleasant ride. On my last trip to the area, I rented a car in Portsmouth and drove from there to Ogunquit, ME.

Keep in mind that this is peak season for leaf-watching, so book hotels in advance. October 6 is often the best day for foliage in southern NH, but no guarantees.

Edited to add: I once drove to the area from CT on an impulse and found all hotels and motels completely booked. One motel clerk directed us to a farmhouse where the owners had a couple extra rooms that they rented out during the fall season. Actually, much nicer than the local motels.
mkc

Re: Do you know Boston and Portland, Maine? Fun to drive? Or just take bus or train? Other travel suggestions?

Post by mkc »

A car will be an annoyance (and pricey to park) in Boston and may be useful in Portland, which is more spread out (especially if you're interested in brewery tours).

It's been years since we flew between the two cities, but back then it was a Saab 340 twin turbo prop and not the best experience.

Can't suggest an overnight venue in Portland (since we RV), but do take in fries (and panini) at Duckfat, oysters at Eventide, cocktails at East Ender, nice dinner at Fore Street, gelato at Gelato Fiasco, sushi at Miyake, ramen at Pai Men Miyake.

Darn it - I just checked at Miyake is temporarily closed for renovations. If they are open when you visit, do opt for omakase (chef's choice) if you're comfortable letting chef decide what you eat. Last time we were treated to uni in his selection for us!
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

It’s a nice drive along the North Shore of Mass from Logan to Portland, ME; Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, the Crane Estate (Castle Hill) in Ipswich, Newburyport, then a nice drive along the NH coast to Portsmouth, NH.

When I have out of state visitors, I usually take them through the North Shore & have lunch in Rockport, MA or one of the “clam shacks” in Ipswich.

I’m not that familiar with the coastal drive from Portsmouth, NH to Portland, ME so I can’t objectively comment.

bill
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

The last time I traveled to Maine via Logan I rented a car to drive up into Maine (June 2020) for family reasons. The rental cost for a 5 day rental was quite a bit more than the cost of flying to Boston from the west coast with average air-fares. It was ridiculous. Mentioned above is the possibility of renting away from Boston to get better pricing. The bus ride from Bos. to Portland is a fairly decent way to go if you don't mind busses.

The morning return flights from Boston can be a pain. I generally try to book an afternoon one and have a more leisurely drive to get there. Fall can be a busy but beautiful time to be in New England.

Depending on what you are looking for, a puddle-jumper from Bos to Bangor or maybe Bar Harbor can be an adventure (not necessarily cheap). Acadia Nat. Park is nice. I have not done that in quite some time so I don't know the details on flights these days.
mainiac

Post by mainiac »

Concord bus to and from Logan airport and Portland ME is easy and convenient as the bus picks up and drops off at the terminal. The bus is clean and has only ever been about half full each time I've used the bus.

The Amtrack DownEaster train is also nice, but you have to have transportation from the airport to the train station.

I'd walk in Boston and just use Uber in Portland depending on your plans. There are lots of good restaurants in Portland.

This issue of DownEast magazine focuses on Portland.
https://downeast.com/issues/april-2021/

If you only have a few days, I'd stay in and around Portland and not drive all over the state.
However, if you decide to rent a car and like the ocean, the beach in Ogunquit is beautiful and the beach at Scarborough Beach State Park is also beautiful.

Enjoy your visit!!
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

Agree about the coastal drive along north MA up to Portsmouth. Portsmouth itself being a quaint little town. October is leaf season. Maybe get some warm apple cider along the way. I think a car will just give you more options. Driving as soon as you land is best for timing, but if you're taking the red eye in that's tough. As for Boston, ditch the rental car and walk or take the T. Stay anywhere between north end or fenway is a good bet. Liberty hotel is a cool hotel in an old prison. Waterfront area, back bay are good areas too. No need stay near Logan, just wake up early and cab/uber into the airport.
Johnfmh

Post by Johnfmh »

I am almost always an advocate of leaving the driving to someone else but if you do drive, these are some places worthy of a quick stop or drive by:

—Swamscott, the Lynn Shore drive is spectacular and there are some great eateries on or across from the water.
—Marblehead, Sailing capital of Massachusetts. For a good view, check out Fort Sewell Park.
—Salem, Witch House, and Peabody Essex Museum
—Gloucester
—Rockport, Cranes Beach, eat clams at Woodman’s
—Newburyport, especially plumb island
—Ogunquit, ME, hike the short marginal way trail along the the rocky shoreline

Of course, if you try to do all this in one morning, you will never make it to Portland. :happy Good luck
moorso

Post by moorso »

mainiac wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:20 pm Concord bus to and from Logan airport and Portland ME is easy and convenient as the bus picks up and drops off at the terminal. The bus is clean and has only ever been about half full each time I've used the bus.

The Amtrack DownEaster train is also nice, but you have to have transportation from the airport to the train station.

I'd walk in Boston and just use Uber in Portland depending on your plans. There are lots of good restaurants in Portland.

This issue of DownEast magazine focuses on Portland.
https://downeast.com/issues/april-2021/

If you only have a few days, I'd stay in and around Portland and not drive all over the state.
However, if you decide to rent a car and like the ocean, the beach in Ogunquit is beautiful and the beach at Scarborough Beach State Park is also beautiful.

Enjoy your visit!!
Totally agree. Fly into Boston and take the Concord Bus line to Portland. Easy, comfortable and affordable. Uber around Portland to see everything there. If you want and have the time, you could rent a car in Portland and drive up the coast to Bar Harbor taking the coastal route. Just make sure you have reservations at where you want to stay. It can get busy. See Acadia National Park and visit some of the quaint harbors like Boothbay Harbor, Belfast, etc .
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Bammerman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:36 pmBut, if you know this area, would you recommend instead that we rent a car at Boston-Logan and just drive directly to Portland? Are the sightseeing views worth it?
Unless you plan a bunch of stops along the way, there's nothing special to see on the drive from Boston to Portland, other than perhaps some pretty leaves (and that depends on where the peak colors are that week).

If you do want to stop often, there are plenty of seaside cities and towns with terrific ocean views, beaches, lighthouses, restaurants, etc, etc. If you want to take a less direct path from Boston to Portland, you can see even more.

You may be driving in near peak foliage season. (https://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects ... nandwhere/) If that's the case, you might want to be driving mid-week rather than on the weekend to avoid some crowds.

Have fun in New England.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

We took the Amtrak Downeaster on a jaunt from Boston to Maine a number of years ago. It was a very comfortable two and a half hour train ride (to the Portland station, longer to Freeport or Brunswick) and reasonably priced (around $60 round-trip). If you stay in Portland and feel like going to Freeport to shop at LL Bean, the train ride is about thirty minutes and just $6.00 round trip! The train runs five times per day in each direction. https://amtrakdowneaster.com/

You can take Massport (bus/subway) from Logan Airport to Boston North Station (where the Downeaster departs from) or use Uber, Lyft or a taxi.

We're going to New England later this year and decided to drive there instead of flying as the pricing of rental cars in Boston was through the roof.

Enjoy the trip!
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

We have done the drive from Boston to Portland, ME many times, always on I95. Nothing interesting on the way except perhaps the New Hampshire state liquor store. We always been anticipating getting further Down East so have made the drive as quickly as feasible.

On rental cars, I’ve heard that rates drop significantly after October 1 if your schedule is at all flexible.
De gustibus non disputandum est
riverant

Post by riverant »

The drive is boring. It’s a straight shot on I-95. If I may ask, why Portland?
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Just got back from a week vacation in Boston and stayed in the North End. Definitely recommend the location. Small Italian restaurants everywhere and convenient to all the tourist locations via "T" subway/train.

Takes about 45 minutes to get to the airport via "T" depending on your concourse.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The drive itself is just a drive. Not a famous nightmare, not ugly, just standard Interstate. Nothing spectacularly beautiful, the drive itself is not beautiful. There are possible stops along the way and Johnfmh mentioned some of them.

If I may mention some quirky favorites of mine, if you want to spend a day in the Rockport and Gloucester area, and you like hikes, the Babson Boulder Trail is strange, cool, and has investing connections... sort of. See Atlas Obscura: Babson Word Rocks. Roger Babson is most famous as an investing guru who had the luck or foresight to say, in September 1929, "Sooner or later a crash is coming and it may be terrific," widely believed to have caused a 3% drop, the Babson Break, later that day.

The Newspaper House takes perhaps an hour to locate and tour and in my opinion it is worth it. It is not presented as a big-deal tourist attraction, and it's just a house in a residential neighborhood--use your GPS as there isn't signage. When we've visited, you knock on the door of the regular house and they come out and open up the Newspaper House. It is a whole house completely built out of tightly-rolled-up, varnished newspaper, including furniture--a grandfather clock and a piano come to mind.

They may not be the most exciting places in the world but as far as I know both of them are absolutely unique.

Rockport and Gloucester are noted tourist attractions in themselves.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I live here so I’ve never taken a bus and can’t comment on that.

In Boston you don’t need and won’t want a car. In Portland you will want a car. Also driving up there are lots of other nice places to see on the way… Portsmouth, Kittery, go a bit past Portland to go see the LL Bean HQ and the nice seaside town of Boothbay Harbor, etc

Only warning is to watch the traffic in the summer. Most of the ride isn’t bad but the short stretch of I95 along the NH seacost can gridlock from beach traffic.
Fordguy88

Post by Fordguy88 »

We flew to Boston for our honeymoon and drove the coastline from there North, stopping along the way over a couple days until reaching Bar Harbor, ME.

If you like National Parks, I would highly recommend making it to Acadia national park and enjoying Bar Harbor for a couple days.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Our Maine trip from Boston did the following:

Greyhound from Boston > Bangor was very easy and would do it again. (Or just get off in Portland, and stop there. :-) Amtrak would be another option for Portland. )

Car rental in Bangor, with a short drive to Bar Harbor. It was nice having a car to drive through Acadia and to local lobster shacks, etc.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Bammerman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:36 pm Our return flight from Boston leaves at 8:43 am (ugh!) so we might want to stay our last night very near the airport.
You may want to consider the Embassy Suites Logan Airport. We stayed there on our last trip to Boston and it was very nice. Free shuttle to and from the airport and there is a great Italian pizzeria/restaurant a few blocks away (Italian Express Pizzeria) that we walked to for dinner.

Embassy Suites usually has complimentary cocktails, wine, beer and soft drinks as well as snacks each evening and a full breakfast in the morning including cooked to order omelets. But with COVID, that varies from location to location so if that is important to you, you may want to call and ask about those services.
Topic Author
Bammerman

Why Portland?

Post by Bammerman »

TJat asked, "why Portland?" Reasonable question. We wanted a shortish vacation in New England with a few days in Boston but also an experience outside Boston. Amtrak Vacations was advertising a Boston-Portland package which sounded nice, but apparently that part of their website has crashed and they never answer the phone anyway, so we've decided to figure out something on our own. In other words, Portland is something we sort of picked out of a hat. Our Allegiant trip is a week, Thursday to Thursday, and we want to spend three or so nights in Boston and the rest of the time based in one place elsewhere on the coast and not spend all of our time driving around in the car. Years ago we did a Nova Scotia vacation and I felt like all we did was drive, drive, drive! This time we don't want to try to see all of New England (poorly), just a little bit of it (well).
Da5id

Re: Why Portland?

Post by Da5id »

Bammerman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:14 am TJat asked, "why Portland?" Reasonable question. We wanted a shortish vacation in New England with a few days in Boston but also an experience outside Boston. Amtrak Vacations was advertising a Boston-Portland package which sounded nice, but apparently that part of their website has crashed and they never answer the phone anyway, so we've decided to figure out something on our own. In other words, Portland is something we sort of picked out of a hat. Our Allegiant trip is a week, Thursday to Thursday, and we want to spend three or so nights in Boston and the rest of the time based in one place elsewhere on the coast and not spend all of our time driving around in the car. Years ago we did a Nova Scotia vacation and I felt like all we did was drive, drive, drive! This time we don't want to try to see all of New England (poorly), just a little bit of it (well).
Most would agree that Boston is a bad driving city. So no car and stay somewhere near a T stop seems like the answer to me while in the city. Parking is expensive, driving isn't always pleasant in the city, and car rentals are currently very expensive (may settle down by then???), so all that argues against a car.

If going to Portland it is much nicer to take the Maine Coastal HIghway (US route 1) for a decent part of the Maine drive. Little towns like Ogunquit are very nice, and the ocean view is often scenic. Route 95 is not particularly attractive driving unless your goal is really to get to Portland faster.
ThisWas

Post by ThisWas »

Bammerman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:14 am We wanted a shortish vacation in New England with a few days in Boston but also an experience outside Boston.
I have one word of advice for you: Cape Cod. Oh wait - that's two words!

The Cape is delightful after Labor Day, and provides a nice contrast to Boston, which is a wonderful and historic city.

If you find a B&B on the Cape which will lend you bicycles, you can bike the length of the Cape on a mostly-flat 25-mile rail trail.

I like Portland ME and Portsmouth NH and the North Shore in MA, but I don't think of Portland as a destination city. The Cape will be more memorable.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If you are open to alternatives to Portland, may I suggest Newport RI? You can take Amtrak to Providence and then rent a car or take a ferry from Providence to Newport. There is a ton to do there including watching yacht racing, touring some mansions on Bellevue Ave and eating lots of great seafood or other favorites from many restaurants from fine dining to casual.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Re: train travel:

I first rode Amtrak in 2016. My usual trip is between Los Angeles and San Jose, California.

In 2017 Dick Anderson from Delta Airlines took over and started wielding the axe, cutting back everything in sight.

Since I first took Amtrak in 2016,

Internet/wi-fi: gone. Was Internet connectivity REALLY that expensive?

Meal service on train 11 (southbound) : gone except for the most expensive sleeper class.

Word is that they cut back the kitchen staff to one cook.

So what's the point of spending 10 hours on a train which used to have these creature comforts but no longer does, when I can fly the same route in scant over an hour? Most of train 11's trip is after dark so there is no scenery to admire. On train 11 you might as well bring a loaf of bread and some peanut butter to make sandwiches. I mean, really! Last time I made that trip I took the northbound train to get there, but service on Amtrak had deteriorated so badly that I flew back and am glad I did.

Dick Anderson was so bad that Amtrak employees petitioned for him to resign or be fired.

https://www.twu.org/petition-to-fire-am ... -anderson/

I don't know if anything has changed under the new guy.

Last time I rode Amtrak it had become a shambles.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Unless you want to go outlet mall shopping, I'd skip Portland and go to somewhere smaller and more scenic like Ogonquit, Boothbay Harbor, or Bar Harbor. You'll have already done the NE City thing in BOS, which is the best one. Portland is a city. Of the other three, Ogonquit is the closest, and Bar Harbor the most scenic with Acadia National Park. All of them are easily drivable in a half day from BOS. Just plan around rush hour traffic.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

We took the subway everywhere in Boston about 7 yrs ago, and stayed south of the city, drove to Plymouth, Salem, etc. in late Oct. Not sure how it will be by Oct, but rental cars are VERY scarce now and very expensive. Sounds like a fun trip!
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

galawdawg wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:40 am If you are open to alternatives to Portland, may I suggest Newport RI? You can take Amtrak to Providence and then rent a car or take a ferry from Providence to Newport. There is a ton to do there including watching yacht racing, touring some mansions on Bellevue Ave and eating lots of great seafood or other favorites from many restaurants from fine dining to casual.
I'm also a fan of Newport. But it kind of depends on the type of things you enjoy. If you like nature scenery, beautiful coastlines, white water rafting and such Maine is a better choice. But if you like history and museums, Newport is great. I found the mansion tours fascinating, and the trail along the ocean side of the mansions a very pleasant walk.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

In Boston, you don't want a car. As an outsider (from Western Mass), I would come into the city to visit my girlfriend (now wife) and while she was at her co-op job, I'd explore the city. I found that to get anywhere within Boston proper, my car was was by far the slowest way to get around. The T worked well and was second, if I was going a distance. My bicycle was close to the T for long distances and to see stuff trumped everything and walking was still way faster than a car.

It's worthwhile to see what hotels are available and where they are. Plenty in town or over the river in Cambridge, but farther out on T lines, there are hotels that will likely be significantly cheaper. Look into T rates. The T itself is a good deal but commuter rails have become so expensive that if I'm going to Boston with one other person, it's cheaper to drive than to take the closest commuter rail to me.

You can certainly then rent a car outside the airport. Driving up the coast is the way to go if you don't want to stare at the interstate and traffic. DW and I recently went to our first post-covid restaurant and day trip and it was to Gloucester with lunch at the Causeway, about a mile from the monuments and drawbridge. Excellent food that is NOT fancy. It's where the locals go. Plenty of towns along the coast in Mass, Portsmouth, then along the coast in Maine.

Places off the top of my head to stop at coming out of Boston: Marblehead, Gloucester, Rockport, MA, Portsmouth, NH, Kittery Maine (if you want to shop for tourist stuff), Ogunquit, Kennebunk Port, maybe York for the beach. Then Portland (I don't know the area in between). This can easily take an entire day.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
like2read

Re: Do you know Cape Cod? October visit suggestions solicited!

Post by like2read »

If you are going to rent a car avoid renting at Logan airport (BOS). I used to travel to Boston quite a bit for work and I was always shocked at the daily taxes added to a the rental rate. All cities around the U.S. seem to stick it to the visitors on taxes for car rentals and hotels, but Boston seems to have taken it to an extreme. That and the the tolls out of the airport, you are much better off with the T.

l2r
ThisWas

Post by ThisWas »

Can I assume you'll rent a car for your Cape Cod visit?
Route 6 takes you the length of the Cape, but if you're not in a hurry, scenic Route 6A goes from Sandwich to Orleans along the bay.
There's a glass museum in Sandwich we've not visited yet. (The Cape Cod Potato Chip factory tour in Hyannis is closed due to the pandemic.)

When we went to the Cape we usually found nice B&B's at the elbow or beyond: Brewster, Chatham, Eastham, Wellfleet, and Truro. All are small towns that are fun to explore.
Cape Cod National Seashore has delightful beaches and trails.
Provincetown at the tip of the Cape is full of shops, restaurants, and artists' studios.
If you get a warm day, not too windy, the Whale Watch company in Provincetown says that "The whales are here from April until the end of October to feed."
If you don't wake up early enough to see the sun rise over the Atlantic, you can see the sun set over Cape Cod Bay.
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

Two days in Boston is plenty for me and you don't want a car. Be sure to walk the Freedom Trail perhaps with a guide from the National Parks office, the Fenway Park tour is fun for baseball fans (I bought our tickets in advance), and the Boston Duck Boat sightseeing tours are a fun way to see more of the city, their driver-guides are often struggling stand-up comedians, also ride the "T" (the MBTA) to Harvard Square/Cambridge and walk the Harvard campus, the shops and restaurants, and see the historic sites. Boston hotels are crazy expensive so consider a staying outside of downtown but near a MBTA stop.

Pick up your car on the morning you the leave Boston. Whichever direction you choose... north or south .. will yield a wonderful New England fall experience. If I had to choose, I might avoid the Cape Cod crowds and go north.

North: If you watched The Proposal movie, the seaside village scenes were filmed in Rockport MA which is a nice stop for lunch if you drive along the North Shore up to Portsmouth NH, which means you'll probably stop for a selfie at the iconic Fisherman memorial statue in Gloucester, where you could also take a whale-watch boat tour if you have a few extra hours. If you make Portsmouth NH your base, a good choice, you can daytrip up along the Maine coast... don't miss the artists-favorite Nubble lighthouse in York Beach and then a walk along the beautiful coastal Marginal Way in Ogunquit which leads to picturesque Perkins Cove. We enjoyed a sunset cocktail cruise out of Perkins Cove. There are daytime boat tours that are fun too, some will pull up lobster traps. A foliage drive inland toward New Hampshire's White Mountains and lakes would be a nice day-trip from Portsmouth. If you go, consider one of the ski areas that offer year-round chairlift or gondola rides...Loon Mountain, Canon, and others, for breath-taking foliage views. You could even do the white-knuckle drive to the summit of Mount Washington. Ogunquit ME is a good overnight option in addition to Portsmouth, if so there are many B&B's in town, and then there's the Anchorage Hotel on the ocean and in-town, book any of them early).

If you go south: To Cape Cod, you could straight-shot on I-95 to the Cape, or you could visit Plymouth on a slower drive down the 'South Shore". Lots of good ideas already in this thread regarding Cape Cod. But if you drive to P-town, arrive before 11 am for a better chance of snagging a $7 parking spot at the Public Wharf and then walk Commercial Street. I suggest the chowder and lobster rolls at Betsy's on the Bay, or for good value, pizza by the slice at Spiritos. You could walk off lunch with an easy hike to the top of the Pilgrim Monument. After you get back to your car, drive further north and along the National Seashore/Race Point beach roads.

Kayaking is popular on the Cape popular hourly rentals on the Bass River out of West Dennis, and in the beautiful salt marshes and Pleasant Bay out of Orleans.
Last edited by Lazareth on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Lots of good suggestions. The one consensus view is skip Portland. If you want more adventure and authenticity, go to one of the smaller towns along the ME coast or cape cod (or Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket). If you like yacht clubs and museums, head to Providence.
mkc

Post by mkc »

The big thing with the Cape and mid-October would be to confirm the things you want to visit are open since that's kind of after season.
Topic Author
Bammerman

Keep 'em coming!

Post by Bammerman »

Thanks for all these suggestions!

So now we have a place booked in the town of Sandwich for four days in mid-October, and that will be our base to explore Cape Cod and, if we can find ferries running, Martha's Vineyard (did you know this is one of only four US place names approved for the use of a possessive apostrophe by the USG?) and Nantucket. Still welcoming any suggestions about things to see and places to eat.

Then we return the rental car and bus back to Boston for two days/three nights before our early morning flight back. We still have no place to stay in Boston. Can you recommend anything? We just plan to walk (or use public transport) and explore history and the sights there. So a "central" location good for that would be ideal.
bluebolt

Re: Keep 'em coming!

Post by bluebolt »

Bammerman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:09 am Then we return the rental car and bus back to Boston for two days/three nights before our early morning flight back. We still have no place to stay in Boston. Can you recommend anything? We just plan to walk (or use public transport) and explore history and the sights there. So a "central" location good for that would be ideal.
What's your budget for hotel?
You have high end places like the Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons that are centrally located.
Smaller, but nice places like the Eliot Hotel and the Nine Zero.

Downtown Boston is pretty small, so any hotel downtown, in back bay, or the South End will be easy to get around via walking and public transportation.

If you check rates based on your dates and want feedback on a specific hotel, let me know.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Edgartown, Ma. Worth the ferry.
Topic Author
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman »

Picasso wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:21 am Edgartown, Ma. Worth the ferry.
IF we can find a ferry that's still running while we're in Cape Cod, Oct. 14-18. Seems like nearly all shut down by or before Oct. 11. Why is that?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Bammerman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:55 pm
IF we can find a ferry that's still running while we're in Cape Cod, Oct. 14-18. Seems like nearly all shut down by or before Oct. 11. Why is that?
I plan on taking ferry out of Woods Hole on 10/17. Maybe we'll see you then?

https://www-steamship-assets.s3.amazona ... ct18v2.pdf
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

If you find yourself in Hyannis at lunchtime on a decent weather day, try Baxter’s for fried clams while sitting either outdoors or inside while overlooking Hyannis Harbor/Lewis Bay.

http://www.baxterscapecod.com/
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

ThisWas wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:47 am
Bammerman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:14 am We wanted a shortish vacation in New England with a few days in Boston but also an experience outside Boston.
I have one word of advice for you: Cape Cod. Oh wait - that's two words!

The Cape is delightful after Labor Day, and provides a nice contrast to Boston, which is a wonderful and historic city.

If you find a B&B on the Cape which will lend you bicycles, you can bike the length of the Cape on a mostly-flat 25-mile rail trail.

I like Portland ME and Portsmouth NH and the North Shore in MA, but I don't think of Portland as a destination city. The Cape will be more memorable.
Go right to Provincetown and eat at the Lobsterpot. Thats all you need.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Bammerman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:55 pm
The steamship authority runs boats 7 days/wk year-round, with the exception of inclement weather. You’ll need to catch it at Woods Hole, MA in Oct. I think.

Have a great trip! The Cape is wonderful.