Passport renewal time - what’s the current time frame?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Planner01

Passport renewal time - what’s the current time frame?

Post by Planner01 »

Has anyone renewed their passport recently? How many weeks did it take? On the website it says up to 12 weeks but a relative of mine recently went in person to get a new passport and they told her 18 weeks is the new timeline. Mine is renewal if it makes a difference.
stay_the_course

Re: Passport renewal time - what’s the current time frame?

Post by stay_the_course »

Which country?
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I just got mine renewed. See this thread (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=351531) for the problems I had.

I recommend paying the $60 for expedited service and pay for non-USPS delivery.

I had to wait a month to receive my passport after it was sent via USPS. Eventually, it arrived via UPS.

Good luck.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Planner01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm Has anyone renewed their passport recently? How many weeks did it take? On the website it says up to 12 weeks but a relative of mine recently went in person to get a new passport and they told her 18 weeks is the new timeline. Mine is renewal if it makes a difference.
If you are talking about the US, we were told 18 weeks as well just a few days ago. We did the expedited option but that's still 12 weeks! Good thing we cancelled our Oct flight to Europe anyway.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I renewed mine in December 2020, 13 months early(!) just in case, figuring I couldn't use it anyway. I didn't pay for expedited service. My new passport came back in a just a few weeks (maybe 4, maybe not even that long) via USPS. Of course if I had waited until now to renew... it probably would have taken 47 weeks.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

Interesting timing on this post.

We submitted the renewal application just over 4 weeks ago. Paid an extra $60 to expedite and an extra $17 (times 2) to overnight the application and passport. We still haven't received the passport as of today and were suppose to fly out tomorrow. In the process of cancelling everything now and hopefully can recover some money.

FYI, only took them a few days to cash my check...still haven't heard a thing and can't talk to anyone.

Based on my experience I would pay to expedite and overnight the mail and still give yourself at least 2 months.
Last edited by cusetownusa on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rs397

Post by rs397 »

I sent my US passport for renewal on March 10th 2021, using registered first class mail and I received my new passport on 23rd of April 2021. The check for the payment was cashed on 29th March. I thought they did a great job with the processing and I am very happy with the turnaround. I was in no rush and used the routine option because I was not planning on traveling internationally and I had another three months of validity left on the passport. I hope this helps.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

We sent both of ours in for renewal early to mid April and received them back before mid June. We did not use the expedited service.
WAROB

Post by WAROB »

Sounds like they are getting through some processing backlogs. There was a WSJ article today on delays and the trouble to find an in-person appointment.

I sent mine in for renewal in early March of 2020. Check was cashed right away but didn’t receive my passport until late August 2020. Obviously there were shutdowns and I thankfully didn’t need it during that time but still was kind of weird not having it for that long.
zuma

Post by zuma »

I submitted my US passport renewal application in early June and requested expedited service. Based on the most recent status update, I should receive my passport this week. So, about 6 weeks total.
Topic Author
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

zuma wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:44 pm I submitted my US passport renewal application in early June and requested expedited service. Based on the most recent status update, I should receive my passport this week. So, about 6 weeks total.
I sent mine out early June but regretfully did not pay to expedite it. Crossing fingers that I will have it by the end of September.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

zuma

Post by zuma »

Planner01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm
zuma wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:44 pm I submitted my US passport renewal application in early June and requested expedited service. Based on the most recent status update, I should receive my passport this week. So, about 6 weeks total.
I sent mine out early June but regretfully did not pay to expedite it. Crossing fingers that I will have it by the end of September.
I would check https://passportstatus.state.gov/ to see when they actually received your application. Then add 13-14 weeks to that date for an arrival estimate (12 weeks for regular processing plus shipping time).

"Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end."

Hope you get it in time!
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

Sent my wife's in for renewal, and added a passport card. Sent on 5/25/2021, received passport back on 6/30/2021. Passport card came 7/08/2021.

Expedited service
USPS Overnight mail
Topic Author
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

zuma wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:01 pm
Planner01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm
I would check https://passportstatus.state.gov/ to see when they actually received your application. Then add 13-14 weeks to that date for an arrival estimate (12 weeks for regular processing plus shipping time).

"Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end."

Hope you get it in time!
Thank you for this. I didn’t know about this link.

Unfortunately they don’t have a status for mine yet. It says that sometimes it takes up to 6 weeks to update the status. I did mail it certified so I know it was received. Check not cashed yet.
bgreader253

Post by bgreader253 »

I sent mine on 6/9, paid for 2-day delivery and it was delivered on 6/11. The check was cashed on July 10 with status updated as in process, so now it's a waiting game. I did not pay for expedited service since there is no plan for travelling this year. Mine will not expire till May 2022 but I was extra cautious and decided to renew early.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Planner01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm Has anyone renewed their passport recently? How many weeks did it take?
I renewed mine this spring and it didn't quite take three months to get it. It was probably closer to 2 months than 3. I do remember the site saying something about getting a passport book and the card would take longer. I didn't get the card and I didn't pay for expediting.
mnecon

Post by mnecon »

Another reference point. Renewal for non-expired passport sent late April. Tracking says delivered May 3rd. Check cashed May 28th. Passport tracking system says received 5/25. No additional updates in tracking system since then.

I sent non-expedited since we have no travel booked and expiration not until November. Also mine went to the Dallas processing center. I think delay times may be different in Dallas vs Philadelphia.

If you have travel soon and your passport is stuck in the system somewhere, there are a number of reddit threads on contacting your senator/congressman and the passport gets 'magically' processed and sent rapidly. This method is probably pushing mine further and further down the pile for processing but I personally am going to give it until mid-August before pursuing further. We are purchasing for winter travel.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

mnecon wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm I sent non-expedited since we have no travel booked and expiration not until November. Also mine went to the Dallas processing center. I think delay times may be different in Dallas vs Philadelphia.
Does the expiration date matter? I think you have to send your passport in so how would you travel without one?

Mine expired last year along with my wife's. Sent it in a couple of weeks ago via Priority Mail. USPS Tracking shows it was delivered to Philadelphia on July 2nd. No status in the passport system. Did not pay for expedited service.

May travel in the fall to S Korea but only if there's no 2 week quarantine step. My daughter is doing a semester abroad at Yonsei U in Seoul and it would be nice to see her and the country.
TheDogFather

Post by TheDogFather »

Another data point from the beginning of the year. Sent a renewal in The last week of December. Received new passport in about 10 weeks. Not expedited.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

The State Dept is saying up to 18 weeks (12 for expediated). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... times.html

Reportedly it's taking longer now than even the recent past, as travel opens and more people want to travel.
Last edited by Seasonal on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
firedup

Post by firedup »

I sent in my renewal late May and received both my passport and passport card by early July, about 8 week after. I was lucky based on what I've read.

I did not use expedited service because I wasn't aware of the delays. In hindsight, I would have paid the extra money to be safe.
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou
mnecon

Post by mnecon »

Does the expiration date matter? I think you have to send your passport in so how would you travel without one?
I can't travel overseas without the actual passport, but we have had times in the past when booking on non-US airlines where they would not let you purchase the ticket without a valid passport number. Expiration date after the trip wasn't necessary but a passport number was. It was explained that they wanted confirmation of identity before issuing a ticket and a US drivers license wasn't acceptable. I have a photo of my old passport so I have a 'valid' number if we have issues booking.

I am older so some of this may have been in the extra heightened security after 9-11 but it was a royal pain to wait for the passport renewal to come back and hope prices remained stable.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

mnecon wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:36 am
I can't travel overseas without the actual passport, but we have had times in the past when booking on non-US airlines where they would not let you purchase the ticket without a valid passport number. Expiration date after the trip wasn't necessary but a passport number was. It was explained that they wanted confirmation of identity before issuing a ticket and a US drivers license wasn't acceptable. I have a photo of my old passport so I have a 'valid' number if we have issues booking.

I am older so some of this may have been in the extra heightened security after 9-11 but it was a royal pain to wait for the passport renewal to come back and hope prices remained stable.
Almost any nine digital number should do. Airline can’t verify if passport is passenger’s based on number. So just put the old number in when booking. You “should” enter the correct information if doing online check-in but chances are it doesn’t matter if airline is verifying docs in person at the airport anyway as that passport scan will update reservation with actual passport details. Whatever passport details captured is sent to CBP’s APIS between 72 hours and 30 minutes prior to departure.

In other words, whatever passport details you put in during booking is irrelevant especially as airlines have no means to verify passport details. What matters is the passport details captured at check-in.
Seasonal wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:22 am The State Dept is saying up to 18 weeks (12 for expediated). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... times.html

Reportedly it's taking longer now than even the recent past, as travel opens and more people want to travel.
My minor’s regular application submitted end of March. Took 13 weeks to get new passport. At that point of time, regular processing is being quoted as 12 weeks. So definitely plan on 18-20 weeks of regular applications these days.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

We renewed two passports in February and it took about 6 weeks with standard service. Now it looks like we beat the rush.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

devopscoder wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:02 am
Mine expired last year along with my wife's. Sent it in a couple of weeks ago via Priority Mail. USPS Tracking shows it was delivered to Philadelphia on July 2nd. No status in the passport system. Did not pay for expedited service.
My check was cashed yesterday (July 22nd) so they are finally processing the applications, twenty days after it was delivered.
NCPE

Post by NCPE »

Just another data point (non expedited service)-

Passport received in Philadelphia on 06/26/2021
"In process" as of 07/21/2021

Issue date TBD.

NCPE
kleiner

Post by kleiner »

We submitted a renewal application for my daughter's passport in early June and got her passport in just three weeks. We did pay for expedited processing.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

https://reason.com/2021/07/22/americans ... wont-work/

Americans Can't Travel Because State Department Employees Won't Work
Massive passport-processing delays, due to COVID restrictions and staffing shortages, are ruining summer travel plans and prompting fantastical workarounds.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Do any of the timeframes matter? If you need a new passport then you should get it in the mail ASAP. Use expedited if you want. Any delay in getting it in the mail just extends any timeframe. Ten days have gone by since the first post went up.
mnecon

Post by mnecon »

Another reference point. Renewal for non-expired passport sent late April. Tracking says delivered May 3rd. Check cashed May 28th. Passport tracking system says received 5/25. No additional updates in tracking system since then.
Just an update for those curious.

Finally approved delivery expected by August 5th.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

I submitted my renewal application close to 3 weeks ago, check hasnt been cashed yet and the status website doesnt show it.

Probably made a big mistake in not using expedited, as have planned travel to India around Thanksgiving time and need to apply for an OCI card (overseas citizen of India that decendents of India are eligible for and needed since theres otherwise no tourist visas being issued now) after receiving the passport that takes another 4 to 6 weeks to apply for.

Have tried emailing the national Passport service to see if the submitted application can be upgraded for expediting but havent heard back yet on it.
namajones

Post by namajones »

Planner01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm Has anyone renewed their passport recently? How many weeks did it take? On the website it says up to 12 weeks but a relative of mine recently went in person to get a new passport and they told her 18 weeks is the new timeline. Mine is renewal if it makes a difference.
Just got mine renewed. Paid for the expedited service (and extra pages). Took 6-8 weeks. Thankfully I'm one of those people who plans way ahead.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

We renewed our passports last fall. I sent them in via USPS Priority Mail Express in mid-August. The bank shows that they cashed the check seven days after I mailed the packet. The new passports have an issuance date approximately 11 weeks after they cashed the check. This was back when they were saying it would take up to 12 weeks, so they hit it pretty close. If they're saying 18 weeks now, I'd accept their figure.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
carolc

Post by carolc »

Just got mine…took about 9 weeks.

carolc
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

I renewed mine in March of this year. They cashed the check in four days and I received new passport in 3-4 weeks. I did not pay for expedited service. They sent status messages, which I thought was efficient.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

My youngest child’s passport is expiring this winter and the passport service provided by our township quoted 20 weeks as the turnaround time (without expediting).
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

My adult kids, one in Illinois and one in NY, applied for passport renewals this summer paying extra for expedited processing. About 5 weeks for each.
amceagle

Post by amceagle »

I sent out my renewal forms a couple of weeks ago via 2 day. The payment check has not been cashed yet. I figure this will take a while, and as long as I get it before my trip next April, I can wait till then(though I may start panicking if my new passport is not in my hands by the end of this year).
thinair

Post by thinair »

"How to navigate the massive passport delays, for every trip scenario: No, you can’t throw money at the problem this time"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/t ... al-status/
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

My wife and I sent our passports in for renewal on July 6.
We just received notification the US State Dept. has received them. One month for delivery.

The not so funny follow up, is that USPS tracking still shows my package still in transit. As I understand, the passport center in Irving TX. sends couriers to the distribution center multiple times daily for applications.
USPS, doesn’t physically deliver to the passport center. They don’t bother doing the final scan many times.

4 weeks for delivery
6-8+ weeks for processing
?? Mailing back to recipient (fingers crossed)
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

I sent mine in past month for renewal.

Said up to 6 weeks till receipt, then processing time and shipping back.

Mine was acknowledged as received in 2 weeks (not 6). Not just delivered, but they deposited check.

Here's to it staying ahead of schedule.
Westwing

Post by Westwing »

Mailed mine off 5/13/2021
Check cashed 6/9/2021
Received passport 8/6/2021 = 12 weeks and one day.
Our courthouse office has now posted to plan on 18 weeks, start to finish.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

njdealguy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:59 pm I submitted my renewal application close to 3 weeks ago, check hasnt been cashed yet and the status website doesnt show it.

Probably made a big mistake in not using expedited, as have planned travel to India around Thanksgiving time and need to apply for an OCI card (overseas citizen of India that decendents of India are eligible for and needed since theres otherwise no tourist visas being issued now) after receiving the passport that takes another 4 to 6 weeks to apply for.

Have tried emailing the national Passport service to see if the submitted application can be upgraded for expediting but havent heard back yet on it.
Update from my side, the application was originally mailed on July 10th for normal (not expedited) processing, check was cashed on August 4th.

I sent an email to NPIC@state.gov requesting for an upgrade to expedited service and overnight shipping which was responded to yesterday the 9th with a form to fill out with card details to process that upgrade. But then I checked my passport renewal status and it showed that it was shipped (and therefore processed) as of yesterday as well via USPS Priority mail.

So with just normal service it took exactly 30 days from when I mailed the application to seeing the status that the passport is shipped and to expect it in the next 10 days!
leviathan

Post by leviathan »

Reposting here.
mailed 7/1
check cached 8/3
shipped 8/9
expected delivery 8/12
regular processing, expected long wait, sooner than expected. no update on status until yesterday.
6 weeks.
like2read

Post by like2read »

Sent for U.S. passport renewal via regular first class mail on July 1.

Received new passport today, August 11.

Regular, non-expedited renewal.

l2r
welldone

Post by welldone »

Passport application (non renewal) submitted July 22nd

Passport received August 12th

Expedited service requested
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

I sent in my renewal application, soon-to-be-expired passport, and $180 check for expedited service on 7/1 via USPS Priority.

New passport arrived via USPS on 8/7.

I was told it could be 12 weeks -- 6 weeks for processing and 6 weeks?!?! for delivery to and fro.

It was about 5 weeks total, though.
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

Submitted mine and dw today. We have a trip in November. Did both expedited with all the overnight mail options, pretty expensive. Will see how it goes.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

For those of you who have recently received new passports, can you advise if the issue and expiry date are as of when the passport completed processing or from application date?

I believe it is the former but just wanted to get confirmation. Thanks.