Passport renewal time - what’s the current time frame?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
njdealguy

Re: Passport renewal time - what’s the current time frame?

Post by njdealguy »

like2read wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 pm Sent for U.S. passport renewal via regular first class mail on July 1.

Received new passport today, August 11.

Regular, non-expedited renewal.

l2r
Wow nice seems non expedited and expedited are getting the exact same timeframes in many cases, I also just got my new passport yesterday exactly 35 days after mailing application for regular processing, no overnight mail.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

njdealguy wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:26 am
like2read wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 pm Sent for U.S. passport renewal via regular first class mail on July 1.

l2r
Wow nice seems non expedited and expedited are getting the exact same timeframes in many cases, I also just got my new passport yesterday exactly 35 days after mailing application for regular processing, no overnight mail.
Is the expiry of the new passport based on your application renewal date or the date they processed your new passport?
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

stilllurking wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:35 am

l2r
Is the expiry of the new passport based on your application renewal date or the date they processed your new passport?
My new passport expiry date came as exactly 10 years after the passport print/issued date of August 9, 2021. My old passport had expired in 2019.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

njdealguy wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:12 pm
stilllurking wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:35 am

l2r
My new passport expiry date came as exactly 10 years after the passport print/issued date of August 9, 2021. My old passport had expired in 2019.
Thanks njdealguy
frazil

Post by frazil »

I just renewed mine. Was not yet expired, but due to expire around the time of an important trip planned late fall. I had read about the extreme delays, so chose every option that was available to expedite it. I sent it off late July, just received the new one - only 3 weeks later. Much quicker than expected. I suppose I didn’t need to spend the extra, but was worth it for my piece of mind.
mrjohnanderson007

Post by mrjohnanderson007 »

Just did mine. Twice, because I forgot to sign it... About a month each time.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

My husband sent his in for renewal, they cashed the check on Aug 3 and we still get no status from their website so we're not expecting it anytime soon.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I've no need to drive all the way to Richmond, but perhaps they are doing this in other areas: opening up a "mega passport acceptance center."

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/us ... n-bon-air/
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
EnerJi

Post by EnerJi »

Just got shipping notification on one of two that are outstanding. If it arrives as estimated by USPS, it will have been exactly 13 weeks and 3 days since I submitted it at a passport center.
solargod007

Post by solargod007 »

Applied Mid June; received mine in 4 weeks. My wife applied 2 weeks later. It took her 6+ weeks- but she got the new style/format passport. Both expedited processing (with regular shipping)
hahabye

Post by hahabye »

I just renewed the passports for my 16 and 18 year old daughters. I paid for expedited handling and the turn around time was less than 4 weeks.
YMMV
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

blastoff wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:12 am I sent mine in past month for renewal.

Said up to 6 weeks till receipt, then processing time and shipping back.

Mine was acknowledged as received in 2 weeks (not 6). Not just delivered, but they deposited check.

Here's to it staying ahead of schedule.
Update.
Still "in process". This is 4-4.5 weeks in this state.
Has been 6 weeks since I mailed it to them.
Non-expedited.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Paid extra $60 to expedite. FWIW, I also asked for the extra pages passport.
Mailed First Class: 07/27/2021
Check Cashed: 08/04/2021
Received Priority Mail: 09/07/2021
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

blastoff wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:37 pm Update.
Non-expedited.
I'm in the same boat. Check cashed on 7/21, no passport as of yet.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Our child's "renewal" (basically applying new except old passport can be used for one of the items) was collected at a USPS mid-June, check "cashed" / direct debited 25 days later, shipped today, so we should be receiving the passports next week for a total of 90 days using routine / non-expedited service.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

My wife recently (August, 2021) got 4-6 week service by USPS mail from New Jersey, no priority service requested. Valid passport, not expired sent in for renewal. Cancelled old passport was returned several days after the new passport. No problems.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I mailed mine on 7/12.
The check was cashed on 8/4.
My application was also received on 8/4.
The passport status website says 12 weeks for routine processing, which would mean I should get my passport back around Thanksgiving after factoring in mailing time.
My passport was not expired, it expires in January 2022.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Mailed my wife's passport on 8/20 after returning from Africa with an expiration date in March 2022 (next planned trip was Canada Dec 2021 and noted on the application). Took almost 2 weeks to cash my check.

Received new passport on 9/11. Non expedited service, standard delivery service.
Last edited by Rainier on Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncook303

Post by ncook303 »

Just renewed mine and DW. They took about 11 weeks to get back over the June to August time period. I was never able to see a status on the passport website during the entire process for either one. I got my old passport back, DW's has yet to be returned.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

This is for my renewal…Mailed 7/1/2021 priority mail in the envelope recommended by the post office. Status updated to processing on 7/24/2021. Check was cashed around that time. No updates since. I believe mine is in the New Hampshire office based on the application number. I need it for a trip and it is possible it doesn’t arrive in time and I m not sure I can order the plane ticket until it arrives. Wish I would have gone for expedited services and at the time thought I was being plenty pro-active.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

tonyclifton wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:49 pm This is for my renewal…Mailed 7/1/2021 priority mail in the envelope recommended by the post office. Status updated to processing on 7/24/2021. Check was cashed around that time. No updates since. I believe mine is in the New Hampshire office based on the application number. I need it for a trip and it is possible it doesn’t arrive in time and I m not sure I can order the plane ticket until it arrives. Wish I would have gone for expedited services and at the time thought I was being plenty pro-active.
Insane how somebody can have such a different experience than us. 3 weeks versus months...
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Rainier wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:04 pm
tonyclifton wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:49 pm This is for my renewal…Mailed 7/1/2021 priority mail in the envelope recommended by the post office. Status updated to processing on 7/24/2021. Check was cashed around that time. No updates since. I believe mine is in the New Hampshire office based on the application number. I need it for a trip and it is possible it doesn’t arrive in time and I m not sure I can order the plane ticket until it arrives. Wish I would have gone for expedited services and at the time thought I was being plenty pro-active.
Insane how somebody can have such a different experience than us. 3 weeks versus months...
And their tracking website says mailing can six weeks on top of the processing time…thumbs down to this.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Mine took a couple of months, but that was fine with me, because I wasn't going to travel anytime soon. I got my old passport back about two weeks after the new one arrived.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Rainier wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:04 pm
Having come through Labor Certification to Green Card to the US Passport, folks like me are used to this :oops:

Depending on where your application landed up, your immigration process could last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to a few years, and I am not kidding you! The current passport renewal process appears similar :oops:
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm Mine took a couple of months, but that was fine with me, because I wasn't going to travel anytime soon. I got my old passport back about two weeks after the new one arrived.
Honestly, was hoping it took a bit longer,we just gave up about 6 months of validity by renewing so early. 6 months on a 10 year passport.

For my daughter it will be 6 months on a 5 year renewal.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

4 weeks, non-expedited, new passport for minor child. Completely surprised.
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Rainier wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:14 pm Honestly, was hoping it took a bit longer,we just gave up about 6 months of validity by renewing so early. 6 months on a 10 year passport.
Thats 5% of the passport’s life. Renewal cost ~$100. So effectively you just cost yourself $5. Not a big deal in my opinion, but to each their own.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

absolute zero wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:22 pm
Rainier wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:14 pm Honestly, was hoping it took a bit longer,we just gave up about 6 months of validity by renewing so early. 6 months on a 10 year passport.
Thats 5% of the passport’s life. Renewal cost ~$100. So effectively you just cost yourself $5. Not a big deal in my opinion, but to each their own.
LOL. You just put a new spin on those who paid the $60 expedite fee! ;-)
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Rainier wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:14 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm Mine took a couple of months, but that was fine with me, because I wasn't going to travel anytime soon. I got my old passport back about two weeks after the new one arrived.
Honestly, was hoping it took a bit longer,we just gave up about 6 months of validity by renewing so early. 6 months on a 10 year passport.

For my daughter it will be 6 months on a 5 year renewal.
I've already lost more than a year of my ten years, but I resolved never again to be without a current passport. I've had two bad experiences.
bgreader253

Post by bgreader253 »

Update on renewal for an unexpired passport, non-expedited:
6/9 - Sent in by priority mail
6/11 - USPS confirmed delivery
7/10 - State dept acknowledged receiving. Check cashed.
9/14 - Notification of passport printed and shipped back by priority mail
9/16 - Passport received

14-week total, door to door.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

blastoff wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:37 pm
blastoff wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:12 am I sent mine in past month for renewal.

Said up to 6 weeks till receipt, then processing time and shipping back.

Mine was acknowledged as received in 2 weeks (not 6). Not just delivered, but they deposited check.

Here's to it staying ahead of schedule.
Update.
Non-expedited.
Looks like I'll get it this week. Mailed mid late July. Not expedited.
moladybug

Post by moladybug »

On the passport renewal website, it says they received my passport information on July 20, and it is “processing “. It has been 14 weeks and counting - no update and no passport. So much for that fast turnaround!!
makemerich

Post by makemerich »

For those in need a passport for travel in near future, here is my experience.

7/14 applied regular service (non-expedited)
7/30 status first showed up on travel.state.gov

Then no progress whatsoever.

10/1 Reached out to local senator through a fillable form on their website listed as 'help with a federal agency' . A case worker was assigned same-day who submitted a case inquiry with passport office
10/1 (Friday) Received a call from Passport agency same-day in the evening. They suggested to expedite. They took the payment over the phone (~$60 + $17 for express delivery option)
10/5 (Tuesday) Received the passport

If you have an urgent travel need and are still waiting for passport, I suggest to reach out to your Senator or local congressman/woman.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

stilllurking wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:40 am For those of you who have recently received new passports, can you advise if the issue and expiry date are as of when the passport completed processing or from application date?

I believe it is the former but just wanted to get confirmation. Thanks.
Mine had an issue date when completed processing (about a week before I got it).
Issue date was not the application date 3 months prior.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

Thanks for confirming blastoff.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

We did 4 renewals last month. 2 were for passports that were still valid, 2 were recently expired. One was for a minor, so it's really a new application even though he already had a valid passport. All were submitted for standard processing, both book and card. Here's the timeline so far:

10/12: Appointment at post office, all paperwork sent via Priority mail (2 envelopes)
10/18: All 4 applications "checked in"
10/19: Both checks deposited
10/28: All 3 adult Passport books arrived
11/1: All 3 adult Passport cards and old docs arriving (according to USPS Informed Delivery)

So just under 3 weeks from our appointment, and exactly 2 weeks from the paperwork being entered at the Passport bureau, to having everything back in our hands for the 3 adult renewals. Way above expectations so far. The minor renewal is still "In Process" as of 11/1.

Adult renewals were processed by the El Paso, TX bureau (but books were printed and mailed from the Tuscon, AZ bureau). The Minor application is at the Charleston, SC bureau--which apparently has a reputation for being one of the slowest.
Bagels

Post by Bagels »

Raybo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:58 pm I just got mine renewed. See this thread (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=351531) for the problems I had.

I recommend paying the $60 for expedited service and pay for non-USPS delivery.

I had to wait a month to receive my passport after it was sent via USPS. Eventually, it arrived via UPS.

Good luck.
I wish I had seen this post above. Current wait is about 14 weeks for non-expedited. (I have waited about that long, over 3 months). I added a passport card knowing that it was going to be a hassle these days, and maybe it would be prudent to have a second passport for the same rigmarole.
Passport has been approved and both forms are supposed to arrive next week, but maybe I should have gone the non-USPS route.
missing [b]madsinger[/b]’s monthly reports
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

My wife and I renewed our passports almost a year in advance, so we weren’t in a rush. That said, we opted for regular passport service.

The applications were mailed, USPS Priority Mail in mid-June. USPS never changed the status to delivered. The Passport Agency acknowledged receipt of the applications on July 24. We received our new passports on Oct 18.

Four full months to process.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I just heard tonight that the time is now down to about 8 weeks. That's supposedly down from more than double that.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Ours just arrived. Took about 6 weeks
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

My daughter recently renewed her passport. She paid for expedited service on both ends as we have an international trip coming up. It took about a month to get the new passport.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

I received mine! Mailed 7/1/2021 priority mail in the envelope recommended by the post office. Status updated to processing on 7/24/2021. Check was cashed around that time. Passport approved 10/12/2031 and the notice said I would receive around 10/19/2021 which I did. Three envelopes arrived on three different days (passport, expired passport, and passport card). The tracking number was only for the passport. Let’s not do this again for another 10 years!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I am a bit worried.

We went yesterday to get passports for our 2 young kids (3 and 1) with a planned trip in 5 weeks. We paid for the expedited service and noted our travel date on the application. We will see.
RiverRight

Post by RiverRight »

For me, 4 weeks, non-expedited passport renewal.
bluetuna11

Post by bluetuna11 »

Renewed my young daughter's expired passport on 10/5, standard (non expedited service). She received her new passport 10/26. Looks like state department is catching up, 21 days total, including weekends and holidays. Safe travels my friends.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Mailed old passport on November 2nd, check cashed by the State Department on November 8th, received new passport on November 12.

Just did the regular renewal, not expedited, and used a regular envelope (no tracking or the like).

I’m rather impressed with the turnaround time.
Most experiences are better imagined.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Oddball wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 am I am a bit worried.

We went yesterday to get passports for our 2 young kids (3 and 1) with a planned trip in 5 weeks. We paid for the expedited service and noted our travel date on the application. We will see.
We are flying out this weekend and still haven't received the kids passports. We called the National Passport Info Center but they were less than helpful, they suggested trying to go to Minneapolis or Detroit for an appointment to resubmit the applications, where we may or may not be able to get a passport that day (there were no appointments in our area). Online the application status is "In Process".

I just wish we knew something, it is such a black box with no way to know when the passports might be mailed to us. The only info I got from calling is that the older child's application is being done in Seattle, not sure about the younger one. Lucky for us we paid for travel insurance if we have to cancel...
cvsvm2007

Post by cvsvm2007 »

Friends,

My new passport arrived in a month. I am yet to receive the old passport that was also taken by County office. Can someone please let me know whether they send the old and new passports in different envelopes?

Thanks
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

cvsvm2007 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 pm Friends,

My new passport arrived in a month. I am yet to receive the old passport that was also taken by County office. Can someone please let me know whether they send the old and new passports in different envelopes?

Thanks
Different mailings and likely from different part of the country.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 pm
cvsvm2007 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 pm Friends,

Thanks
Different mailings and likely from different part of the country.
Not only that, but DS's old passport took almost three more weeks (IIRC) to come back. I was seriously starting to get worried that it might've gotten pilfered!!