Boglehead Tips for Long Flights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chip

Re: Boglehead Tips for Long Flights

Post by Chip »

Since I have had my feet swell up during a long flight I would actually recommend against slip-on shoes. Unless they are expandable. It's rather embarrassing having to exit the plane carrying your shoes. :D

OP, I have had the best luck adapting to time zone changes by arriving near the end of the day, then heading off to an early bedtime. Of course this often isn't possible. For those redeyes to Europe I try to make sure to plan out several activities that require walking or other movement that will fill the day so that I won't be tempted to sleep outside of a normal schedule.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post conjecturing on the benefits of aspirin (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

dbr wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:30 pm
2. I stay off the alcohol and my wife is a non-drinker anyway. The idea that you get plastered and then go to sleep might work for some.

11. Think about how to get to a hotel as soon as you arrive and/or also before you depart. We have gotten to be more and more enamored of airport hotels anymore. People have their own ideas about jet lag, but I find the issue is not circadian but just loss of sleep and best managed by getting sleep and good food as soon as possible. An overnight stopover can be better than connecting on. Often stops less than 24hr. are a connection and not a stopover, but you do need to check your luggage correctly.
Yeah alcohol depends. I've sometimes felt I was better off with a drink to relax, nervous flier, but overdoing can obviously be a problem (and I mean headaches from the compound effect of alcohol and very dry air, I don't mean making a fool of yourself or getting taken off in handcuffs :happy if one has any history like that then obviously don't start).

Others mentioned sleeping pills. Again you have to know your own reaction and if it's strange behavior then it's an obviously stupid idea. Assuming that's not your reaction, a still dangerous potential problem relates to your 11. Many package vacations (to Europe from eastern US for example) seem to have you on the go the first day there after a night on the plane. Friends of ours had the sleeping pills only really kick in after they got there, or that was the presumed cause at least of a rental car crash they barely survived. Last trip we made to Europe the package had us walking around the first day with just the sleep on the plane (which is never more than marginal for me) but rental car wasn't picked up till after a night in hotel.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

btq96r wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:00 pm 2. Anxiety/sleep aids
Ambien if you can get it prescribed, or an OTC sleeping pill.
Careful on this one. This is considered a controlled substance in the UAE and can get you into trouble if you try to bring it into the country. I am not sure if this is unique to the UAE or something that happens elsewhere. OTC should be relative safe since, at least in the US I think they are mostly antihistamines.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:59 pm One thing I try to do for long flights is always carry on my own food. Airplane meals are nasty so I try to grab a to go meal in the airport before boarding.
Having some healthy snacks packed in your bag is a good idea but I disagree on the nasty airplane meals. Maybe that’s true if you use a US or low cost carrier but I flew Emirates recently from Boston to India in Economy and the food was excellent.
VanGogh

Post by VanGogh »

Be well rested before your trip, take a few packs of travel size antibacterial hand wipes and lots of disposable face masks. Everything is temporary. Remind yourself of that as necessary during your flight.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Lay flat and recline seats in first class.
Independent Cocoon type layout is great
Nearby bathroom that is not crowded
Window seat with lots of space
Noise Cancellation Headphones
Movies on iPad or Laptop
Cozy neck pillow
Comfy clothes
Snacks
Good seat neighbors or no seat neighbors.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
rvflyer

Post by rvflyer »

Prokofiev wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:08 pm Try Melatonin. It can help reset your interal clock as well as putting you to sleep
on the plane. Even if you cannot completely fall asleep, keep trying during the
noctural hours of your destination. Don't stay up and watch a movie because you
cannot immediately sleep
There is a new time release formula melatonin at Costco— great item!
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I haven't flown to Asia since I got married there years ago so these tips probably work better for a single male traveller than a family, but here's my 2 cents.

I always try to book one of the aisle seats in the very last row in the back next to the restrooms. They're generally available as most people tend to avoid them, but in my experience, those seats are under-appreciated gems. It makes it really convenient to know how long a line for the restrooms there is, if any, and it's easy to pop in quickly when there's a vacancy without anyone cutting in ahead of you. There's nobody behind you to kick the back of your seat. You're close to flight attendants if you need anything. Some of the larger planes have some more standing room in the back, mostly reserved for flight attendants, but depending on how casual they are, passengers often use it as a stretching area. You also don't get "trapped" by flight attendants with service carts as often. When you're in the middle sections of a plane, you can often have carts in front and behind you preventing you from getting to a restroom or spending too much time in the aisle reaching into overhead storage or whatever, but being in the back helps mitigate that. Lastly, I find that the certainty of being in the back helps me relax. When in the middle, potentially having to swap seats or getting stuck in the aisle while boarding is stressful. In the back, there's no worry about getting in anybody's way, and there's no temptation to get up prematurely to disembark. If you have overhead luggage, there's no chance of having to go back behind your seat to grab it.

There are some downsides to my preferred seat selection, but they kind of tie into my other tips. When sitting in the back, there's a really good chance you won't get much if any overhead space. I've found that there's a strong linear correlation between how poor passengers are and how much they try to pack for international travel. Flying to more provincial/rural areas of third-world countries in particular, I swear if regulations allowed it, people would strap goats and chickens to the wings of the plane. Wealthier, more experienced travelers know to pack light, but first-time flyers, immigrants, etc. are often going on a life-changing trip and insist on taking as much as possible just in case of any unforeseen emergencies. Depending on how many of those people you get on your flight and how much they're willing to abuse luggage rule loopholes, the overhead storage may be completely full by the time the plane is half-boarded. I've seen people essentially wear extra luggage under coats just to get it all onboard and then shed like 100 pounds of stuff off their body into the overhead bins. Those same people also tend to spread their stuff out as much as possible and close the overhead bins themselves to discourage others from squeezing in beside them. As a result, one of the nightmares of flying internationally is that people seated up front have to go way back to store their bags, then make their way back up front, and then go back to get their bags when disembarking... and heaven forbid they insist on pulling something out mid-flight. Once was enough to deter me from ever taking overhead luggage onto a long international flight. I decided then and there that I would only ever take a small bag that I could fit under the seat in front of me, and then I could ignore the stress of overhead luggage completely.

Another downside if you sit in the very back is that there is often some kind of box or other obstruction under the seats in the back corners. I don't know what it is or how to explain it, but essentially, it takes away some of the under-seat space for your small carry-on item, so don't expect that thick backpack that you have to squeeze under the seat on most flights to fit in the back row. I limit myself to something really compact like a laptop bag, and I never have any issues regardless of where I'm seated on the plane.

One of my biggest tips is not to rely on movies alone to pass the time. I remember my first 12+ hour flight, I was blown away by just how bored of movies I could get in that time. The thing is, depending on movie length, I might get through 4 movies plus short naps and still have hours to go in the flight. I found it very hard to stay interested in any one form of entertainment for that long. The more movies, shows, books, video games, puzzles, activities, music, etc. you have to choose from, the better.

I never did splurge on noise-cancelling headphones when I used to travel more because I was either a poor college student or early in my career, but after my last long flight and as an adult with money now, I definitely think they're worth the money in case of a crying baby. It was a flight to China and there was a crying baby on board with an impressive set of lungs. That baby cried, I kid you not, for at least 8 hours. And by cried, I don't mean fussed, I mean that baby screamed bloody murder for 8 hours straight. The baby's mother tried everything in her power to calm the baby down, but to no avail. I felt really sad for her because you could tell how embarrassed she was and how hard she was trying not to inconvenience the other passengers, and thankfully everyone on the plane was understanding and sympathetic so there was no confrontation, but I guarantee the only people who slept well for the next 3 days had noise-cancelling headphones. I had never been to sensitive to jet lag or anything like that, but I had a massive migraine that kept me awake for days because of that baby, and I felt like absolute garbage.

If you've never been on an international flight before, especially a longer one, know that they start boarding and even even close the doors quite a bit earlier than domestic flights. One of the big reasons is that they check everyone's passports and visas at the gate to make sure everyone's eligible to travel abroad, but also boarding just tends to take longer due to the size of the planes and passenger habits. I remember my first flight to China, I took my time at some shops in the terminal before going to my gate. I arrived at the gate about 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time, and they were almost done boarding. I thought I must have been at the wrong gate because that couldn't possibly have been my flight, so I asked the gate attendant if I was in the correct place, and they confirmed and explained to me that international boarding happens quite early. I had flown internationally before but only as a kid with my parents, so I must have just never noticed. Since then, I always make it a point to find my gate first before going to any shops. This has saved my butt on numerous occasions with short layovers. I had a layover at Narita in Japan once, and I forget the gate number, but let's just say it was 45. I followed the signs for gates 1-45, and it looked like the vast majority were quite close to each other, so I figured I had plenty of time to reach my gate. It turns out the first 40 gates or so were in the same area, but then there were signs for 41-45. I followed those only to find 41-43 were open, but there was construction going on and 44-45 were somewhere quite a bit farther away in what may as well have been a different terminal. It ended up being like a 25 minute power walk, all within a single terminal and using numerous conveyer belts, to reach my gate with about a 40 minute layover. The thing is, a friend of mine had asked me to buy something for him since it was my first time traveling to Japan and he was obsessed with some kind of Japanese magazine or something, so I could have easily spent quite a bit of time looking for that in shops and missed my connection. By getting to my gate first, I had a better grasp on how much time I really had to find the thing, and I was able to buy it at a shop next to my gate.

One last thing I'll mention is to either dress light if you tend to sweat or feel hot, or dress in light layers to keep warm. This may sound obvious, but there's a very specific reason related to long international flights in particular. Every once in a while, you'll hear a story about a long international flight being delayed by several hours and passengers being upset because they were kept on the plane the entire time. I was on one such flight where we were kept on the plane for 4 hours for some silly traffic reason unrelated to our plane. I don't know if it's regulations or what, but the flight attendants and pilots always say something along the same lines in such circumstances, which is that they are not allowed to get back to the gate, or they already checked everyone's passports and have everyone on the manifest, etc. Basically, they don't want to undo any of their flight preparations, but inevitably, the hot, uncomfortable passengers get tired of being stuck on the plane after a while with crying babies and whatnot, and they certainly don't want to extend such long flights any longer than is needed. I also had another flight with a similar but unusual situation in China. When we were about to land, it turned out a bunch of flights were being diverted due to an unexpected military exercise taking up significant airspace, and so we were required to sit on the plane for about 3 hours at a nearby airport until we were cleared to land at our destination. Basically, all that is to say, be prepared to sit on the plane for much longer than you think and try to dress comfortably. I saw a comment above discouraging pajamas, but honestly, I've been on enough long flights to Asia now to think pajamas aren't such a bad idea, and there are often people getting pretty comfortable and casual so I don't think it would raise too many eyebrows.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I have observed that I can’t drive properly while jet lagged. So be concerned that you may be a very bad driver when you get there. My brain is not fully recovered for 3 weeks.

If I’m in business class, I much prefer to leave at night and take Benadryl. Bit of a sledgehammer of a sleep aid for me. It doesn’t affect everyone the same way. I watch movies too.
This time is the same
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

My own personal tricks. YMMV:
  • A tablet computer and some good earphones/in-ear monitors take the place of many things. Movies, games, books, music, language lessons... all right there. A flight that long will often have USB charging ports, so be sure to bring a cable on board with you. Otherwise (or as a backup), consider bringing an external charging pack. You can find quite small ones.
  • That said, I do like a good printed out crossword puzzle, sudoku, etc.
  • The best way to reduce your chances of lost luggage is to not check a bag in the first place. Yes, even for (especially for!) international travel. This requires packing lighter than you might be used to, but it's worth it. Google things like "one bag travel" and "packing light" for tips.
  • Related to that, I try to reduce extra gadgets and geegaws as much as possible. Would a neck pillow and eye mask and noise cancelling headphones be nice? Maybe. But it's also nice to not have to fool with a pillow/mask/headphones for the rest of the whole dang trip.
  • Yes, definitely have a photocopy of your passport/etc. stashed in your bag and a photo on your phone/tablet.
  • Above all, keep this phrase from Patton Oswalt in mind: "It's chaos. Be kind." There is so much that will go on that is outside your control. Roll with it. Heck, savor it. The nutty stuff is what you'll remember anyway.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

1. Sit alone with just your companion if possible. If the seating is 2-5-2, get a seat with just one other person, that way you are window or aisle. If it's just you and your companion, great. Flip up the arm rest between you and relax.
2. Leave around your normal bed time. We did a direct 9-hour flight from Chicago to Munich that left at 9PM - perfect.
3. Eat and drink heavily.
4. Fly a decent airline like Lufthansa. My back hurt more on the 45 minute United flight into O'Hare than it did the 9 hours on the economy Lufthansa flight to Munich.
5. Noice cancelling headphones are your friend.
6. Ibuprofen as an advance painkiller; of you have an oxy prescription, even better.
7. Be in good shape for stamina and seat fitment purposes.
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

Wear an N95 mask or compatible with an additional cloth mask over that. Yea, not sure I could do that for such a long flight myself. But that's my tip.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

NewishBog wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm Wear an N95 mask or compatible with an additional cloth mask over that. Yea, not sure I could do that for such a long flight myself. But that's my tip.
At that point, you should just wear a proper half-face respirator, it'd be FAR more comfortable and tolerable... as well as provide P100 protection.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

gailcox wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:35 pm 6. Others: the crew really appreciates it when passengers bring us treats, such as mints, individually wrapped chocolates, health bars, Starbucks gift cards, etc. Those passengers get a nice thank you and anything else (not an upgrade) we can do to make their flight better, be it extra pillows, a better seat in the same cabin, free liquor we will provide it. This gesture means a LOT to the crew on these long flights.
Thanks for saying this. It had never occurred to me to do this. (Not so much the food items, as, if I were you, I might be wary of items given to me by strangers -- kind of like trick-or-treating, but the Starbucks gift card seems like a great idea).

My best advice is not to drink alcohol, but feel free to keep hitting the coffee. You can try to watch the entire Lord of the Rings, extended editions.
Drink water like it's going out of style.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

On 12 hour flights to Asia, I used to like to mentally break it up in 4 hour segments which I thought of as US Coast to Coast equivalent.

First 4 Hours, flight and meal
Second 4 Hours, try to sleep
Last 4 Hours, flight and meal.

Other have given great advice but if you are Coach like me there is no way I am sleeping for the entire flight.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

The longest I had was for 27 hours, including layovers. Man, that was crazy. At my last layover, I just didn't dare sit down at the airport, because I knew for sure that I would fall asleep instantly. So I just kept walking in the terminal.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

I have had a number of long, long flights (Australia, Singapore (realized that I was only half way in Narita airport), 20th century flights to China that took 20 hours and more). The only comment I would add: Compression stockings for long flights:

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/09/ ... -socks-on/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a contentious post regarding use of masks in-flight. Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

Cyclesafe wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:35 pm Compression socks to prevent blood pooling in lower extremities (and blood clots).

Don't take drugs or alcohol. You want to be at your best during an emergency.
I fly 75k miles give or take per year for last 20 years. I've never been in an emergency.

Compression socks are only needed if you're old and not in good shape (like many of us).

Wine, Xanax, noise-cancelling headphones and some good movies on the iPad are good for me. And business class lie flat is awesome.

And water Über Alles.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein | *Everything I write here is an unreliable opinion*
ram

Post by ram »

Fish/seafood is the easiest food to spoil and I avoid it on flights.
Ram
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 pm
Cyclesafe wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:35 pm Compression socks to prevent blood pooling in lower extremities (and blood clots).

Don't take drugs or alcohol. You want to be at your best during an emergency.
I fly 75k miles give or take per year for last 20 years. I've never been in an emergency.

Compression socks are only needed if you're old and not in good shape (like many of us).

Wine, Xanax, noise-cancelling headphones and some good movies on the iPad are good for me. And business class lie flat is awesome.

And water Über Alles.
Survivor bias.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

I have a small suitcase that I store in the overhead bin. In addition, I have a small drawstring bag that contains my phone, keys, headphones, and wallet. That one stays in my hands or lap the entire trip.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

ram wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:00 pm Fish/seafood is the easiest food to spoil and I avoid it on flights.
Yeah, I learned that from watching Airplane!
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

If you use a travel agent or DIY website, be sure you have the shortest flights. Many years ago, a travel agent set up an itinerary for DW and myself from New York City to Taiwan. The US leg was okay; JFK to SFO via American. The Taiwan part was terrible: SFO to Hawaii to Tokyo to Taipei via China Airlines. Total trip time was 32 hours. When we discovered there was a non-stop flight from Taiwan to SFO when we confirmed our return flight in Taipei, we demanded that we be on the non-stop flight back to the US. The flight was already full, so we insisted that they bump two crew members on a "dead flight" back to the US. Taiwanese don't like "Crazy" Americans or Asians shouting and yelling in their office so they gave us the seats.

Don't trust that travel agents will volunteer non-stop or more direct flights. These flight will cost more money and they don't want to lose a sale. For many of us Bogleheads in retirement, comfort and convenience are more important than a little more money.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

valium
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Lots of excellent suggestions on this thread. Here are some thoughts based on a dozen RT India trips and a half dozen RT Myanmar. My typical itinerary is Charlotte to JFK to Dubai to India and JFK to Beijing (or Seoul) to Myanmar. Have only scored lie-flat seats a couple of trips.

1) I prefer having the long leg be a single flight (12-14 hours) over splitting it up into a couple of 7-8 hour flights via Europe with a stop in the middle. There can be a couple of hours after takeoff occupied by cabin service, etc and about the same amount of time before landing. So on a 7-8 hour light you only have 4-5 hours max to settle in and rest. Best to have a long period to settle in, get comfortable, and sleep. It's easier to do when you have 8-10 hours allotted for that task, and if you're prepared. Your chances of arriving rested are better if you can make good use of the long leg.

2) Avoid all drugs, especially the sleep aids. Chemically-induced stupor is not sleep, and I've seen people do some really strange things when waking up from these risky drugs. Plus, in the rare case of an emergency, you don't want to be in a brain fog.

3) Spend as much time studying the seat map on Seat Guru and selecting your seat as you spend planning the trip. Try to figure out if there are any unique or favorable locations. For example, some 3-wide seating configurations on each side have two seats at the exit door. In these cases the best economy seat in the house is the window seat on the row just behind these. You get the benefit of having nobody on one side of you, you can lean on the window for sleeping, you have plenty of leg room and you can get up by stepping forward and over the legs of the people in the row in front of you. You may have to pay a little xtra for these sets, but it's usually worth it. The two-across at the back where some aircraft narrow down is also handy, although these seats don't usually recline. You just have to be prepared to deal with lavatory and galley noise. Absent a special or unique seat, I choose an aisle seat. With an aisle seat I always tell my seat mates to feel free to wake me if they need to go to the lav because I can fall back to sleep easily. Whenever I let them out I also make a trip to the lav.

4) Wear compression sleeves to prevent DVT. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - water only - carry your own supply on board. It's more comfortable to remove shoes for rest, but always put them back on when moving about.

5) Get up and move about as often as possible when you're awake. I often try to get up to go the the lav whenever cabin service starts. That way I often get trapped hanging out near the lav and can stand & move about longer without bothering anyone else because others are trapped in their seats or waiting for their cookies & tiny cup of liquid.

6) In addition to all the other hygiene necessities in my day pack, I carry good quality headsets, eye covers, mask, and 4 inflatable neck pillows. The mask should be the type that ties in the back rather than the rubber bands over the ear. (It's much more comfortable for sleep.) Aside from present COVID requirements, leeping with a mask traps moisture from your breath so you wake up much less dehydrated.

7) About the aforementioned neck pillows -> At altitude I inflate two neck pillows, put one behind my neck, and then insert the other from the side on whichever side I want my head to lean. Then slowly let air out of the one from the side to position my head in the spot most comfortable for my neck. I also switch off by dropping the tray able, putting the day pack on it, inflating all 4 neck pillows, interlocking them, stacking them on top of the day pack and leaning forward to sleep. It's a nice change of position and more closely imitates sleeping on my stomach or side.

8) Dress for both warm and cold. You usually expereince it all at various points in the flight. I wear a cotton t-shirt, covered by a button-up long-sleeve travel shirt over it. I can unbutton the top shirt when too warm or even remove it altogether. If I'm walking around with my shirt unbuttoned it may look little sloppy to others, but that isn't my concern. I'm interested only in my comfort, not anyone's judgmentalism.

9) I'm not a vegetarian, but I always order the vegetarian meals, except for breakfast. I carry a few Starbucks singles to adjust the strength of my coffee at breakfast (or can make my own with some hot water).

10) I always try to be courteous to the flight attendants (even the occasional ones who are sometimes snippy). They have a difficult job and we don't know the last negative interaction they had with an entitled difficult passenger - there are plenty of them on board every flight. They can also be helpful with extra water, snacks, and usually are ready to accommodate a reasonable request.

I could go on, but these are some of the important ones to me personally,
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Topic Author
BogleFed

Post by BogleFed »

I recently completed my first long international flight, which was the genesis of this thread, and I thought I would follow-up to share my experience. I incorporated many of the tips in this thread and went against a few as well. For background, my long flights were between 10-12 hours and I traveled in economy. Here is what worked well for me:

1. I downloaded on my phone a full season of a TV show I could not find time to watch at home, so I was excited about that I had a phone holder that clipped onto the seat in front of me that kept my phone at eye level. Plus, I had the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones so I was fully covered. The noise cancelling headphones are a game changer for me. They completely take away the rattle of the plane, which makes for a much smoother ride.
1a.) As a poster suggested, I checked SeatGuru to find a good seat. I also learned all seats had USB charging, so I knew to bring an extra cord with me to keep my phone charged.

2. One poster suggested breaking the flight into segments. I did this and I believe it helped mentally and practically. I broke the flight down in 3:5:3 hour segments. The first 3 hours I watched 3 episodes and ate (a very nice) dinner. I had a glass of wine with dinner. The second 5 hour segment was my read & sleep segment. I took advice from a poster and brushed my teeth, took a melatonin, and read a book until I felt sleepy. I slept pretty well for 4 to 4.5 hours. I downloaded some white noise type of music to play while I slept to help cancel the noise of the plane. The third 3 hour segment I watched 3 more episodes and I was excited to pick back up where I left off. Breakfast was served during this last 3 hour segment so the coffee that accompanied was a nice boost before landing.
2a.) I really wanted to be able to sleep well for the second segment, so the night before my flight I got about 5-6 hours of sleep instead of my usually 7-8. I did this both directions and I think it helped as I was able to sleep well during that time.

3. I did not wear compression socks on the outbound flight and I did wear them on the inbound. I did notice a significant difference, but I think I will wear them in the future.

4. Clothes: I wore light jogger type pants with zipper for pockets. I liked having zipper pockets so I could have positive control of my key documents (namely my passport). I wore a comfortable short sleeved shirt with two pockets on the chest. These were useful for storing items in transit and on the flights. I brought a very light weight zip up jacket to use in case it got cold on the plane. I did not end up needing this but I was glad I had it. I wore my most comfortable tennis shoes that slipped on and off easy. I took them off only to sleep.

5. I generally drink a lot of water anyway, so I made sure to do that the day of traveling. Even on board, I drank more water than usual. I was nervous it may cause me to wake up during the "sleep segment", but it did not.

OVERALL: Have a good attitude and spend the extra money on good noise cancelling headphones. I had a great trip and I look forward to the next one - thanks for all the great tips!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Awesome!

Thanks for the follow up post!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Don't depend on travel agencies to always give you the most direct flight. A number of years ago I wanted to go from New York to Taipei. The pacific leg was San Francisco-Hawaii-Tokyo-Taipei. I was furious and demanded to be put on a direct flight on China Airlines from Taipei to San Francisco going home when I discovered the shorter route. Time lapse of the NY to Taipei flight was 32 hours!

Now I go to the internet first to find the most direct flight. At age 84, I am not out save money but to save time and reduce physical/mental stress when I travel .
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I always flew business class to Asia but once stupidly took a $500 bribe from my employer to downgrade to coach to China. An inflatable seat cushion saved me. I never needed it for "short" flights to Europe.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

1. The best option is to sleep. To that end, a neck pillow and a cheap set of slim shooting earmuffs are an inexpensive way to go to sleep. Earmuffs + earbuds are also much, much cheaper & more effective than the best noise cancelling headphones.
2. Wear sandals. Even the best shoes will get uncomfortable after several hours. If weather doesn't permit sandals, put your shoes into a plastic bag when you get to the airport.
3. Layers. This is especially pertinent if you're going from someplace cold to someplace warm, or vice versa. A really good synthetic base layer will allow you to add or shed clothing easily without a lot of bulk.
4. When you get to the airport, feel free to pack a bulky coat in your luggage before going through security.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

gwe67 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:40 pm If you travel with another person, put half of your clothing in their luggage, and half of theirs in your luggage. If one bag gets lost, both people can function for days.
Great idea. A variant is to keep at least one complete change of outfits for each person in carry-on bags.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

1. skip dinner if its an evening flight (so you can sleep better) or ask if they can serve it to you for breakfast.
2. silk light blocking sleep eyeshades
3. use the meditation room at the airport for some pre boarding serenity.
4. chair massage or reflexology massage at the airport pre boarding
5. drink a ton of bottled water
6. nip of cognac or similar to relax
7. music w headphones
8. skip salty snacks to avoid waterlog
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

As a reminder, medical suggestions are off-topic. A post was deleted.
rob

Post by rob »

fyre4ce wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm
gwe67 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:40 pm If you travel with another person, put half of your clothing in their luggage, and half of theirs in your luggage. If one bag gets lost, both people can function for days.
Great idea. A variant is to keep at least one complete change of outfits for each person in carry-on bags.
I've always done this with partners going back decades... Only one bag search incident got weird... but hey..... I contest I would look great in that underwear :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
orange96

Post by orange96 »

Business Class.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

1) Long 20+ hours flight half way around the earth to Asia.

2) Avoid all US airlines for all long flights. Pick Asian airlines for better services. I starved on my business class major US airline flight from USA to Asia. I missed the meal time and they ran out of food over the Pacific. They did offered plenty of wines. I had better customer service from Asian airline economy class than US airline business class.

3) Layering. I have light shirts and 3-in-1 jackets on my carry on. Extra socks for changes.

4) Have a very large meal (12 to 16 oz steak) before the flight. I could skip meal for 20+ hours and I would be fine.

5) Aisle seat with close proximity to the toilet. Once I flew next to a 300 pound passenger on the window seat. For 12 hours over the pacific, I have to climb over him to get to the toilet. Never again.

6) I bring my coffee bean, hand coffee grinder, Mellita 2-cup coffee maker on my hand carry. All I need is hot water to brew my fresh coffee. It really helps to have a nice cup of coffee for me.

7) Noise cancelling headphone. It really helps over a very long flight. It works even if you listen to nothing.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
matti

Post by matti »

rob wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:59 pm
fyre4ce wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm
I've always done this with partners going back decades... Only one bag search incident got weird... but hey..... I contest I would look great in that underwear :-)
That's a great suggestion. I can't sleep when traveling, so when I know I'm going on a long flight, I simply accept the fact that I'll likely be up for 32-40 hours straight or so. If I get ticked off about not being able to sleep, it just makes me anxious and grumpy. So, I just accept it.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

In my laptop bag I always keep rolled up at the bottom an extra pair of socks, underwear and t-shirt. Noise cancelling headphones (which I was reminded what a great idea this was by a crying kid on my last flight). I also have a noise cancelling sound track and massage/rain sound music tracks on my ipod. I also put a printout of my flight ticket inside my luggage in case it is lost and the ID tag on the bag is also lost.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is to download movies and/or TV shows from Netflix for offline viewing on your iPad or laptop.

Also, small thermos with hot water.
RetiredMike1

Post by RetiredMike1 »

Hydration:
I don't know if this still true. When I used to fly overseas, the plane had a water fountain on the wall near the rest rooms,(like the one on your refrigerator) with dixie cups. I recommend to get out of your seat every hour, or so, and drink down a cup or two if they are only 4 oz., of water.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

RetiredMike1 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm Hydration:
I don't know if this still true. When I used to fly overseas, the plane had a water fountain on the wall near the rest rooms,(like the one on your refrigerator) with dixie cups. I recommend to get out of your seat every hour, or so, and drink down a cup or two if they are only 4 oz., of water.
Hydration can be very important, especially or long flights.

However, we prefer not to drink "bulk water", so we try to purchase bottled water and a soft drink after security. We now fly premium class on top international airlines (thank you, awards!) so the service is good. But there's no way to predict if there will be times when beverage service isn't easily/promptly available, especially if there is turbulence. We try to get bottles so that there are tops that can be screwed back on, to avoid spills (due to turbulence or clumsiness...).

So far there has only been one airport (overseas) where after security, there was absolutely no opportunity to purchase any type of beverage.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Single malt scotch on ice
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

I bring a used book purchased from a local library (~50 cents or a dollar), read it on the flight, then leave it on a seat in the next airport or hotel for another passenger to enjoy.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Business class if you can afford it or can upgrade.
Otherwise, try to get a bulkhead or exit row seat.
Always be extra nice to the staff when checking in - they’re more likely to help you upgrade if you’re not a jerk.
Most long flights will have a good selection of movies to choose from and regular offerings of water, so aside from a few snacks, I don’t bring any other food or drink along, and have never brought my own downloaded movies.
Kindle reader with lots of books on it.
Paper sudoku and crossword puzzles for a break from the electronics.
NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES! These are the greatest invention ever for frequent and long distance flyers.
Limit the alcohol, but no need to refuse it completely.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:48 pm
RetiredMike1 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm Hydration:
Hydration can be very important, especially or long flights.

However, we prefer not to drink "bulk water", so we try to purchase bottled water and a soft drink after security. We now fly premium class on top international airlines (thank you, awards!) so the service is good. But there's no way to predict if there will be times when beverage service isn't easily/promptly available, especially if there is turbulence. We try to get bottles so that there are tops that can be screwed back on, to avoid spills (due to turbulence or clumsiness...).

So far there has only been one airport (overseas) where after security, there was absolutely no opportunity to purchase any type of beverage.

RM
I always stop after security check in and buy a large buy bottle of water for the fight I am on.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

hi_there wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:01 pm
2) There is lots of talk above about shoes and going barefoot. For me, there is only one choice, which is sandals or flip flops on the flight. Business Class usually gives you slippers to wear on the plane, but for others, just bring your own. As a courtesy to others, keep your feet clean if you can. I won't say I have many good traits compared to others, but one of them is good foot hygiene.
+1

I think I got this from Rick Steves' travel forum and it has worked well for me, a couple of pairs of Yoga Water Slippers. Just an example, there are plenty of different ones. I've also gotten them at Dick's Sporting Goods, usually near the camping supplies.

https://www.amazon.com/VIFUUR-Water-Spo ... B07JPYSNDP

I bring one pair for the plane and one for my showers - toss both when trip is done. I've had a couple of challenges w/shower stalls in Europe being slippery, these types of shoes are great to prevent falls. Store in separate gallon plastic bags. Take up very little room in a backpack.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

random comments (it's been a while but i used to fly from Hawaii to the mainland frequently for work...):

hydration -- absolutely. i would just get a decent sized bottle at a kiosk prior to departure -- throw it away upon landing. for snacks i would buy trail mix. the sweet / salty mix is a good blend

i would divide my time between:

movie(s)

reading -- have a book(s) / couple magazines / WSJ

crossword puzzles

taking 30-45 minute cat naps

earbuds / headphones are a MUST... as far as earbuds is concerned -- i used wired ones. just easy connection didn't have to worry about bluetooth. also bring 'old' devices like old i-pods fully charged so you have 'back-ups' and don't have to worry about one device running out of battery life

and definitely get up and walk the aisle every couple of hours -- do some squats to get some circulation in your lower extremities

bring a light sweater / zip up jacket in case it gets chilly

as far as shoes -- i always wear close toed shoes on flights -- if there was an emergency landing -- you would not want to be 'barefoot' during emergency exit procedures

long distance flights -- its not fun but you can make it 'bearable'...

----------------------------------------