Would I appreciate a proper road bike?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Would I appreciate a proper road bike?

Post by Zeppcoustic »

38 yrs old. Live in San Antonio.

Got into cycling more a couple years ago. Went to my LBS and bought a hybrid--Specialized Sirrus Sport. It has a carbon fork and disc brakes. They did a fitting and the bike is really comfortable. I added some SPD pedals to it.

Also have a Peloton and have been having fun using that improving my fitness. I use this more often than my actual bike due to convenience and oppressive heat here. My fitness is good with FTP around 210 watts at 165 lb. A good 60 minute ride for me recently was just over 20mi.

I enjoy doing some leisurely weekends rides with my wife on my hybrid around 15-20 miles. My longest ride outside on it was 40 miles.

Do you think I will have a lot more fun on a road bike? I was considering something like a Roubaix before inventory dried up.
hunoraut

Re: Would I appreciate a proper rode bike?

Post by hunoraut »

Not facetious: that's entirely up to you.

It's like getting a new golf club set, or guitar, camera, or etc. The best effect is that it the fetishization of the object will spur the owner to engage in the activity more. It doesn't directly make them a better golfer, guitarist, or photographer. Sometimes, they immediately get bored of it and move onto the next toy.

I will say, whether or not you get a new bike, you should get a power meter. The peloton gives you a baseline to work against and having live power readings on the road can help keep you engaged and accelerate improvement.
count damoney

Re: Would I appreciate a proper road bike?

Post by count damoney »

I agree with hunoraut.

If you goal of outside riding is to " leisurely weekends rides with my wife", then I'd stick with the hybrid.

If you'd like to get more serious about cycling, then a good road bike will be a major upgrade.
I have 6 bikes, all with a different purpose (road, tri, fat tire, cyclocross, ebike, and trainer bike).
You need to define your purpose and match a bike to that.

And don't trust the Peloton mileage and FTP numbers, they aren't accurate.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Are you trying to ride hard and go fast? Then yes, a road bike will be fun, especially if you enjoy the "adventure" aspects (routefinding/exploring, variable pavement, dealing with cars, potential to actually wipe out...) If leisurely 20-40 mile rides are the goal, maybe not. Is anything about your current bike bothering you for those?

Also, you need to be a little careful about what a "real" road bike is. A lot of what gets sold are sort of race-styled bikes - super skinny tires, aggressive geometry, too many gears, no ability to fit fenders or bags, and these can be rather unpleasant to ride. I enjoy a more relaxed geometry, fatter tires (35mm+), fenders are a must if you want to ride when the roads are wet (not just when it's raining), brooks saddles are nice...
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

SmallSaver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm Are you trying to ride hard and go fast? Then yes, a road bike will be fun, especially if you enjoy the "adventure" aspects (routefinding/exploring, variable pavement, dealing with cars, potential to actually wipe out...) If leisurely 20-40 mile rides are the goal, maybe not. Is anything about your current bike bothering you for those?

Also, you need to be a little careful about what a "real" road bike is. A lot of what gets sold are sort of race-styled bikes - super skinny tires, aggressive geometry, too many gears, no ability to fit fenders or bags, and these can be rather unpleasant to ride. I enjoy a more relaxed geometry, fatter tires (35mm+), fenders are a must if you want to ride when the roads are wet (not just when it's raining), brooks saddles are nice...
Sometimes I would go hard. Riding faster would be more fun I presume, and allow longer rides in less time.

Current bike is comfortable! They did a nice job fitting it. But guessing I could add a couple mph to average speed based on upright positioning alone. Have never ridden a road bike before.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

You might want to try a bike rental like this one on spinlister

https://www.spinlister.com/rides/36683- ... onio-texas
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Zeppcoustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:29 pm ...

Also have a Peloton and have been having fun using that improving my fitness. I use this more often than my actual bike due to convenience and oppressive heat here. My fitness is good with FTP around 210 watts at 165 lb. A good 60 minute ride for me recently was just over 20mi.

Is that 20 miles in an hour on the hybrid? I am really impressed if on the hybrid.

Or 20 miles in an hour on the Peloton? less impressive (but you are probably in better shape than I am)

Edited to add: get a road bike, easier to go faster and cover more ground. Us the hybrid when riding with wife, kids, etc. Like they say, the correct number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number you currently own.
Last edited by JoinToday on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
furwut

Post by furwut »

A time to get a road bike would be if you wanted to participate in faster paced group rides.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Zeppcoustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:07 pm
SmallSaver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm Are you trying to ride hard and go fast? Then yes, a road bike will be fun, especially if you enjoy the "adventure" aspects (routefinding/exploring, variable pavement, dealing with cars, potential to actually wipe out...) If leisurely 20-40 mile rides are the goal, maybe not. Is anything about your current bike bothering you for those?

Sometimes I would go hard. Riding faster would be more fun I presume, and allow longer rides in less time.

Current bike is comfortable! They did a nice job fitting it. But guessing I could add a couple mph to average speed based on upright positioning alone. Have never ridden a road bike before.
In that case by all means go for it. Road biking is great when you're cooking along on a well-fit and well-tuned bike. I'll just note again a personal preference for a sort of sport-touring style, but that is a question of taste and the only reason I am harping on it is that many bike retailers will by default want to put you in something more race styled. Also that you really don't need to spend a lot of money to give it a try. You can get a very serviceable bike for ~$1,500 new that'll do everything you need. Check out Grant Peterson's book "Just Ride" for a counter to some of the excesses of road bike culture.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I spent a lot of time waffling between a Roubaix and a Diverge and untimely decided on a 2021 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon with a double for better gearing for some road riding. I spend 80% of my time on trails, which are a mix of paved and crusher and only some dirt.

Gravel bikes are hot for a reason. They’re capable of tackling almost anything and if you’re willing to invest in a second set of wheels they’ll be ready to take on basically all of it, with the exception of the most technical single track reserved for full suspension mountain bikes.

The Roubaix is definitely the way to go if you want a comfort road bike and you’re sure you’re not going to venture onto anything more than tarmac. But if you find yourself wanting to hit some gravel or dirt trails you’re going to wish for more tire clearance and the Roubaix is going to limit you to 32c width. That’s why I ultimately made the decision to go with the Comp Carbon. I give up maybe 1 mph riding 38c tires compared to 28c tires, but the additional comfort is hugely worth is to my 50 year old body. Hope that helps.

Edit: We have flat bar Trek Verve 3 commuter bikes for our fitness/commutes/errands. Hers has a basket and mine has panniers.
Last edited by Wanderingwheelz on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong compounds forever.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If the hybrid is really comfortable and you’re able to keep up with whoever you’re riding with, don’t bother. You’ll get the same amount of exercise either way, and the difference in how far or fast you can go isn’t going to be enough to move the needle on your life.

Now, having said that, a fast bike feels…fast. You might want to do it because you like fast bikes, just like Jeremy Clarkson likes a Lamborghini.

But hey, I ride a touring bike everywhere and my average speed is 12 MPH, so take what I say with that in mind. I’m at peace with the fact that I’ll never be the coolest kid on the block.
sandan

Post by sandan »

JoinToday wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:31 pm

Is that 20 miles in an hour on the hybrid? I am really impressed if on the hybrid.

Or 20 miles in an hour on the Peloton? less impressive (but you are probably in better shape than I am)

Edited to add: get a road bike, easier to go faster and cover more ground. Us the hybrid when riding with wife, kids, etc. Like they say, the correct number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number you currently own.
I'm sure the OP would appreciate a proper road bike (when $2k canyons become available again). Anyone with the slightest desire for speed or more breeze should have one. For now I think the OP should get a proper computer such as a wahoo bolt or a garmin 530/130 to verify that insane speed (for a hybrid going round trip).
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

If you plan to ride with a peloton of competitive riders, you ought to need a good road bike. But 20 mph is blazingly fast on a hybrid, so you ought to at least keep up. If you'll be riding alone, then any comfortable bike will do.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
beyou

Post by beyou »

Funny, I have had a road and mountain bike for many years, and I sometimes think I should get a comfortable hybrid for my many fitness rides with wife and friends. Most of them ride hybrids, and if I take my road bike, they can't keep up, if I take my mountain bike then I have to really push myself to keep up with them. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as space to store bikes will become an issue. We have3 in the garage now (had 4 at one point but that was the max before we need additional storage or move other things out of the garage).

Maybe we can swap :-)
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

20 miles in an hour was on the Peloton. :happy
beyou

Post by beyou »

Exactly my problem.....though even worse when biking out of town...which one(s) do you bring with you ?
Maybe I'll need them all ? Rent a truck to transport the whole lot ?
sandan

Post by sandan »

beyou wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:59 pm Funny, I have had a road and mountain bike for many years, and I sometimes think I should get a comfortable hybrid for my many fitness rides with wife and friends. Most of them ride hybrids, and if I take my road bike, they can't keep up, if I take my mountain bike then I have to really push myself to keep up with them. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as space to store bikes will become an issue. We have3 in the garage now (had 4 at one point but that was the max before we need additional storage or move other things out of the garage).

I put some slicks on an 80's mountain bike for that exact purpose.
beyou

Post by beyou »

sandan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:22 pm
beyou wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:59 pm Funny, I have had a road and mountain bike for many years, and I sometimes think I should get a comfortable hybrid for my many fitness rides with wife and friends. Most of them ride hybrids, and if I take my road bike, they can't keep up, if I take my mountain bike then I have to really push myself to keep up with them. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as space to store bikes will become an issue. We have3 in the garage now (had 4 at one point but that was the max before we need additional storage or move other things out of the garage).

But I live near some nice trails that need those fat tires.
N+1 !
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

SmallSaver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:35 pm
Zeppcoustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:07 pm

In that case by all means go for it. Road biking is great when you're cooking along on a well-fit and well-tuned bike. I'll just note again a personal preference for a sort of sport-touring style, but that is a question of taste and the only reason I am harping on it is that many bike retailers will by default want to put you in something more race styled. Also that you really don't need to spend a lot of money to give it a try. You can get a very serviceable bike for ~$1,500 new that'll do everything you need. Check out Grant Peterson's book "Just Ride" for a counter to some of the excesses of road bike culture.
Thank you
sandan

Post by sandan »

beyou wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:36 pm

N+1 !
I feel the pain. I don't even have a garage, so I'm down to 3 bikes instead 4.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

beyou wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Exactly my problem.....though even worse when biking out of town...which one(s) do you bring with you ?
I don't like to transport my bike on the back of the car (hitch bike rack) anymore. If I am going any distance, the drivetrain end up with a bunch of fine grit on it. Bothers me. I should probably get some sort of bag for the bike to keep it clean in transport.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

You mentioned ebike. If you want to go faster and cover more distance, a road bike with e assistance would certainly give you that!
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
beyou

Post by beyou »

JoinToday wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:52 pm

I don't like to transport my bike on the back of the car (hitch bike rack) anymore. If I am going any distance, the drivetrain end up with a bunch of fine grit on it. Bothers me. I should probably get some sort of bag for the bike to keep it clean in transport.
I had an old rooftop carrier, gave it to my son last year thinking it’s time for a new one for me. Then found out how covid was causing shortages of bike racks, not just bikes. Ended up with a compromise on back of car for now. So N+1 applies to bike carriers too ;-)
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Personally, my first ride on a road bike was a revelation. It really encourages you to ride fast in a way a hybrid does not. Worth at least doing a test ride.
dbr

Post by dbr »

First of all if you aren't going to do N+1 then we have no time for you.

But, more seriously if you enjoy regimens such as 20mph for an hour on a Peloton I am pretty sure you would appreciate the light weight and speed of a real road bike. It's just nice.

My experience, by the way, is that road bike geometry if properly fitted can be more comfortable, especially for long times, than anything else. You do want appropriate clothing, shoes, etc., from the comfort point of view. You may also appreciate the flawless mechanical function of a decent quality road bike, not that good quality hybrids, mountain bikes, etc. don't also have good mechanics.

I would say a drawback of a good roadbike is being in a situation where you can't find good quality riding surfaces and also separation from traffic and multi-purpose trails (road biking is often not really one of the purposes accommodated).
dbr

Post by dbr »

You want an expensive bike inside the vehicle rather than on the back or top. I used to have a Buick LeSabre and by golly if it wasn't possible to take off the front wheel and fit that bike behind the front seats. That car also had a pass through opening from the trunk into the back seat that allowed a person to stow skis inside the car. So, LeSabre: the car of the sporting set. That car originally belonged to my mother: sporting man drives his mother's car, but no I did not move in with her. Anyway these days bike transport is inside the Outback. I rode on a charity bike team and part of the team process is that we loaded all the bikes hanging inside a trailer and towed that behind an RV.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Any foot mtb trails near you? If you have a road/hybrid you already enjoy and are near trails maybe consider a good quality mountain bike. I got my Santa Cruz Tallboy 4 a few months ago and love it. A good bike definitely makes you want to get out there and ride more!
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

dbr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:53 pm

You want an expensive bike inside the vehicle rather than on the back or top. I used to have a Buick LeSabre and by golly if it wasn't possible to take off the front wheel and fit that bike behind the front seats. That car also had a pass through opening from the trunk into the back seat that allowed a person to stow skis inside the car. So, LeSabre: the car of the sporting set. That car originally belonged to my mother: sporting man drives his mother's car, but no I did not move in with her. Anyway these days bike transport is inside the Outback. I rode on a charity bike team and part of the team process is that we loaded all the bikes hanging inside a trailer and towed that behind an RV.
Inside the car is what I usually do now. I take the front wheel off & put it in the trunk with the back seat folded down.

Carbon fiber bike, Ultegra components. Nice bike. Not really big $$, but more than $1K or $2K.
HippoSir

Post by HippoSir »

Zeppcoustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:29 pm Also have a Peloton and have been having fun using that improving my fitness. I use this more often than my actual bike due to convenience and oppressive heat here. My fitness is good with FTP around 210 watts at 165 lb. A good 60 minute ride for me recently was just over 20mi.
I rode a fitness bike for a while before I upgraded to a road bike, and although I like the road bike a lot it didn't hugely change the way I ride. It does become important if you decide to join a group ride where you might get dropped. That said, I'd continue working on your FTP. 210 watts is fine for an untrained beginner but if you join group rides you will struggle.
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

dbr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm First of all if you aren't going to do N+1 then we have no time for you.

But, more seriously if you enjoy regimens such as 20mph for an hour on a Peloton I am pretty sure you would appreciate the light weight and speed of a real road bike. It's just nice.

My experience, by the way, is that road bike geometry if properly fitted can be more comfortable, especially for long times, than anything else. You do want appropriate clothing, shoes, etc., from the comfort point of view. You may also appreciate the flawless mechanical function of a decent quality road bike, not that good quality hybrids, mountain bikes, etc. don't also have good mechanics.

I would say a drawback of a good roadbike is being in a situation where you can't find good quality riding surfaces and also separation from traffic and multi-purpose trails (road biking is often not really one of the purposes accommodated).
How can I get a real feel for a bike on a test ride? When I bought my hybrid I rode around the neighborhood near the shop only for ~ 20mi. After I rode it about 150 miles I brought it back to the shop and they tweaked fit a little.

I try to avoid open roads whenever possible. We have a nice greenway loop around the city here, about 40 miles of protected paved trails. Off peak it is a very nice ride.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

You'd probably enjoy a road bike. You don't need to break the bank unless you want to: 105 groupset gets you good trickle down tech; most of the major brands have a nice aluminum/carbon fork in the $1500-2500 range. Beyond that you're mostly paying for weight savings. You're probably going to want what they're calling an "endurance" bike - more relaxed fit, can take wider (32) tires but still has the drop handlebars. The Roubaix would be a good choice, but every major manufacturer has an equivalent. Gravel bikes can be good choices, too, but they're basically what you have with dropbars.

It will feel twitchy at first but the position is comfortable for longer rides and they're a lot of fun.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

Zeppcoustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:37 pm
How can I get a real feel for a bike on a test ride? When I bought my hybrid I rode around the neighborhood near the shop only for ~ 20mi. After I rode it about 150 miles I brought it back to the shop and they tweaked fit a little.

I try to avoid open roads whenever possible. We have a nice greenway loop around the city here, about 40 miles of protected paved trails. Off peak it is a very nice ride.
A reputable local bike store should let you take the bike for a decent ride - perhaps the place where you purchased the hybrid? As someone else said above, modern road bike geometry is pretty "compact" versus 25 years ago so you need to make sure the bike is fitted well, particularly if you are tall. I hadn't ridden in many years and when I first tried a modern carbon-framed bike I found the lack of "heft" a little disconcerting at first.

I'd recommend a good pair of proper cycling shoes and I really like speedplay pedals, though they take a little getting used to. You will be significantly faster on a well set up, good quality road bike than on your hybrid, particularly uphill.

Speaking of hills, you didn't mention if that 40 mile loop has any but if it does, I'd recommend you get a wider ratio on the back cartridge, or the third (small) ring on the front.

Good luck!
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

sandan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:47 pm
beyou wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:36 pm

N+1 !
I feel the pain. I don't even have a garage, so I'm down to 3 bikes instead 4.
I have a separate wheelset to handle that issue. Just swap the entire wheels depending on what I am riding.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Zeppcoustic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:29 pm A good 60 minute ride for me recently was just over 20mi.
20-21 mph ave is quite fast for an amateur riding solo on a hybrid. Of course you'd appreciate riding a road bike.

I ride a lightweight steel frame, relatively slack geometry and Ultegra/105 mix. You might want to go closer to a racing setup if applying power to the ground is your main goal. I'm more focused on enjoying longer distance rides and care less about power.

Don't get stuck on shaving weight from a bike that already weighs less than 20 lbs, it's a waste of mental energy. For me, the rear derailleur/shifter, bar height (i.e. fit), saddle and tires are most important to my enjoyment of riding. You can spend oodles of money on other stuff and it may not matter much. Once you are spending 2-3K, you have many nice frame options.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

thinking about biking in energy terms is the best way to separate the signal from the noise.

bicycling is basically running, with the only role of the equipment to convert rotational motion into linear, and gearing mechanism to provide zero-sum mechanical advantage.

given standard parameters of air density, etc etc, on flat ground, for a given speed, red is how much power the rider needs to exert. purple is wind resistance. brown is hysteresis losses from tires. little tiny almost-invisible sliver in yellow is mechanical losses from the bike drivetrain.

a proper road bike can position your body in a way to reduce air drag. how you actually configure that bike affects it even more - e.g. level of seat relative to handlebars, etc. and given those fixed contact points, how you configure your body is also a huge factor - e.g. whether your elbows are tucked in or flared out, whether your head is sticking up or turtled in.

98% of the controlling factors in speed is how much power you pump out, vs how much power is wasted in the wind.
remaining 2% is the nonsense the industry tries to sell, like how a carbon-heeled shoe will transmit more power than a plastic-heeled shoe, or hiding the 5mm-diameter brake cable will greatly improve aerodynamics.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

IMO the reason to buy a road bike would be for bike racing or touring or joining a bike club for group rides with other road riders.
A road bike opens the door for century rides, multi-day touring, and safety in numbers rides on paved roads with traffic. You can go faster and farther with a road bike. It will also be less comfortable and may strain body parts. It can also lead to spending lots of $$ and keep you from riding more with your wife.

The popularity of quality hybrids is a testament to their practicality, comfort (they are sometimes called comfort bikes), and value. I have ridden as much as 60 miles on mine but as previously noted, that is much more work than it would have been on a road bike. They are a Toyota- practical, value, reliable, gets you there.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

If you're getting into the 40 mile range, then yes. Check out endurance bikes, which will comfortably take you into your 40s (age) and beyond. These are road bikes with more comfortable geometries (e.g., Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, etc.). The handlebars sit a little higher than more aero focused, racy bikes (e.g., Specialized Tarmac, Aethos; Trek Madone, Emonda), making them more comfortable for us non-racers, but are nearly just as fast. As others have said, gravel bikes are all the rage and some blur the lines with endurance road bikes, but offer more versatility. Bikes like these (Specialized Diverge, Trek Checkpoint) with a pair of slick tires can keep up with straight road bikes.
Last edited by caffeperfavore on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

If a "proper" road bike would get you drop bars, my experience was that the added comfort from drops became noticeable once the length of the ride exceeded one hour or so.

If a "proper" road bike would get you lighter weight components, skinny tires, and thus the ability to (theoretically) go faster then it may be worth it if you are trying to keep up with a group of fast riders or if you are trying to do personal best time trials or something. If you are riding by yourself and with your wife you IMO won't gain anything, and you will suffer the downsides -- the skinny road tires will be less comfortable and will flat more.

Keep in mind when you are considering weight and speed that it is the weigh of the package that counts, not just the weight of the bike. So shaving 2-3 lbs off a total package weight of 220 is only a 1% or so reduction.

If you just want to invest in a really cool bike there is nothing wrong with that. Check out Rivendell.
dbr

Post by dbr »

tm3 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:44 am If a "proper" road bike would get you drop bars, my experience was that the added comfort from drops became noticeable once the length of the ride exceeded one hour or so.
I agree. Drop bars and a more hunched over riding position is more comfortable over extended times. It is difficult to ride for any distance or while putting out any significant effort sitting straight upright with hands spread out and no variation in grip. I think it would be the low back that would go first if not blisters in a bad place. It does take some conditioning though.

Then again we had a guy who rode in our group that always brought along a beach cruiser and on any easy day would just say "I think I'll take the cruiser today." and he would keep up just fine or still ride faster than most of us. He was also an amateur bike racer. I am nowhere near that level.

This is not to say there is anything wrong or inferior at all with enjoying a ride on any bike in a nice place on a nice day. The OP is obviously asking about a more athletic endeavor.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

"My fitness is good with FTP around 210 watts at 165 lb."

The fact that you know this suggests to me that you are a prime candidate for a high-end road bike. I still love my Cervelo, but state of the art in 2012 is now available from many vendors. Specialized seems to be one that is favored around here. Suggestions:

1. Frame material. I love my carbon frame, but passions run high over steel/aluminum/titanium/carbon. The frame is your most important decision.
2. Electronic shifting. I thought this was ridiculous when I first heard of them, and then I rode a bike with the early Shimano electronic group. After that is was just a matter of which one. I settled on the SRAM etap and boy I love it.
3. Get disk brakes. My only discontent with my current ride is the rim brakes. They're okay, but disk is much better.
4. Get a frame that will accommodate wider tires, at least 30 cm and 35 might be better. Nearly all do these days; sadly my 2012 can only manage 25s.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:19 am thinking about biking in energy terms is the best way to separate the signal from the noise.

bicycling is basically running, with the only role of the equipment to convert rotational motion into linear, and gearing mechanism to provide zero-sum mechanical advantage.

given standard parameters of air density, etc etc, on flat ground, for a given speed, red is how much power the rider needs to exert. purple is wind resistance. brown is hysteresis losses from tires. little tiny almost-invisible sliver in yellow is mechanical losses from the bike drivetrain.

a proper road bike can position your body in a way to reduce air drag. how you actually configure that bike affects it even more - e.g. level of seat relative to handlebars, etc. and given those fixed contact points, how you configure your body is also a huge factor - e.g. whether your elbows are tucked in or flared out, whether your head is sticking up or turtled in.

98% of the controlling factors in speed is how much power you pump out, vs how much power is wasted in the wind.
remaining 2% is the nonsense the industry tries to sell, like how a carbon-heeled shoe will transmit more power than a plastic-heeled shoe, or hiding the 5mm-diameter brake cable will greatly improve aerodynamics.
This is such great information it deserves to be quoted. Fit, riding position and ttotal weight (mostly you) are what counts.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Spending more on a bike will typically get you a more efficient ride with higher quality components. There's usually a good mid-level area that is a good balance of price and components. I think many on this site are unaware of how expensive various types of bikes can be nowadays. For example, a "mid-level" mountain bike is in the range of $3k plus, high end can easily be $6K plus.

One of the things more money buys is typically lighter components and a lighter bike.

One can often save a great deal of money and gain a significant improvement in health by losing excess weight on their bodies vs. trying to spend their way to a lighter bike.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

IMO wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 pm Spending more on a bike will typically get you a more efficient ride with higher quality components. There's usually a good mid-level area that is a good balance of price and components. I think many on this site are unaware of how expensive various types of bikes can be nowadays. For example, a "mid-level" mountain bike is in the range of $3k plus, high end can easily be $6K plus.

One of the things more money buys is typically lighter components and a lighter bike.

One can often save a great deal of money and gain a significant improvement in health by losing excess weight on their bodies vs. trying to spend their way to a lighter bike.
Road biking is a money-sinking hole I'm glad to be done with. Simply pointless for me once I stopped competing; more expensive, more maintenance, less comfortable for the average ride, and limited areas you can ride. Every bit as content riding my $1k gravel bike as I ever was on my high-end road bike, it is simply better for everyday use. But I did recently order a pair of full-suspension e-assist fat bikes for wife and I...if you want to blow some money.
dbr

Post by dbr »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 pm
IMO wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 pm Spending more on a bike will typically get you a more efficient ride with higher quality components. There's usually a good mid-level area that is a good balance of price and components. I think many on this site are unaware of how expensive various types of bikes can be nowadays. For example, a "mid-level" mountain bike is in the range of $3k plus, high end can easily be $6K plus.

Road biking is a money-sinking hole I'm glad to be done with. Simply pointless for me once I stopped competing; more expensive, more maintenance, less comfortable for the average ride, and limited areas you can ride. Every bit as content riding my $1k gravel bike as I ever was on my high-end road bike, it is simply better for everyday use. But I did recently order a pair of full-suspension e-assist fat bikes for wife and I...if you want to blow some money.
It is true that a "serious" road bike is excessive and not very convenient for rambling around town, visiting the park, commuting, going out with the family etc. But then I did know a couple of guys at work that rode 20 mile each way commutes and did ride serious road bikes. Also, in winter where I live the "fat-tire" bike is the go-to machine, and they do fine on dry road as well. Then also one needs to stock up on this: https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/fat-tire

My answer to the OP is based on the idea that he intends to pursue this as an athletic endeavor more than as a recreation.
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Thanks for all the input guys! I want to take a Roubaix for a test ride once my shop has one in stock. I think I need more grip options than my hybrid flat bar permits. Thinking this one (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/rouba ... 94421-7244) or the Roubaix Sport would be more than enough for me.
Sand101

Post by Sand101 »

chuckb84 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:24 am
1. Frame material. I love my carbon frame, but passions run high over steel/aluminum/titanium/carbon. The frame is your most important decision.
2. Electronic shifting. I thought this was ridiculous when I first heard of them, and then I rode a bike with the early Shimano electronic group. After that is was just a matter of which one. I settled on the SRAM etap and boy I love it.
3. Get disk brakes. My only discontent with my current ride is the rim brakes. They're okay, but disk is much better.
4. Get a frame that will accommodate wider tires, at least 30 cm and 35 might be better. Nearly all do these days; sadly my 2012 can only manage 25s.
Of those my bike only hits #1 (older mechanical S5). On a dollar for dollar basis it has enabled a the most amount of fun over the years of anything I've purchased, including travel. The bike has gotten me to the top of the highest road in the US, the biggest climb in the UK, all over the southeast US, etc.

I agree you don't need a super expensive bike, nor do I think one really needs an electronic shifting set (nice to have, certainly not a need to have). These days most bikes are plenty light.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Just a personal anecdote here.

Since I can no longer run due to knee arthritis, I began cycling and absolutely love it. Like any hobby, it can take up serious time and money, but it's easy to justify since I not only enjoy it, but it's beneficial to my overall health as well.

I've found the perfect combination of bikes, for me, is a somewhat serious road bike (Trek Emonda) for my road / fitness cycling and a less expensive but still decently equipped 29er hardtail mountain bike for everything else (trails, tooling around the neighborhood, any riding where I don't feel like getting kitted up, etc).
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

If fitness were my goal, I could never go back to a hybrid. It is where I started, and I now have a garage full of bikes (road, cyclocross, track, time trial). I get enjoyment by pushing myself and going for distance. I get that with my current stable of bikes.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

Lots of inputs here already. I'll just echo what was already said - define what you want to do and then get the bike for that; and share my anecdotal experience in hopes it helps.
I'm actually down to 2 bikes. My road bike lets me go far and faster; my 'adventure' bike lets me go somewhat far (or, really far but slowly), carry stuff, go offroad and in general into harder-to-reach places. I have wider tires for my adventure bikes for rougher terrain. It's good enough for 99% of my riding. I could probably even get by with just the adventure bike, but it's definitely more work and that's why I still keep the road bike. You can make cycling as cheap or as expensive or as complicated as you want. I'm totally fine not having the latest and greatest, or going super-fast, or not having carbon wheels, some people aren't.

You should rent a higher-end bike and see what it is about it that you like and understand how you're going to use it.
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

If you are just looking for a comfortable bike that's more efficient than a hybrid, I'd recommend looking Surly touring bikes. Maybe Long Haul Trucker or disc trucker. The great thing about these bikes is you can customize them anyway you like. Faster than a hybrid and more comfortable/versatile than a road bike.