Retirement Move to DC area?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PSM

Retirement Move to DC area?

Post by PSM »

Wife and I happily retired and moved to a comfortable situation here in NC a few years ago, in a nice city, good medical care, good shopping, moderate traffic, LCOL, etc. However, we only have one family member nearby, about the same age, who can’t become responsible for our well-being as we age.

Our DD and husband, who live in DC, with good jobs, have given us two grandchildren in the past couple of years. As we have discovered, It’s tough to get to know grandchildren mainly on FaceTime, as well as being hard for our two households to help each other as needed. However, the chance that our DD and family would leave DC and move to NC are slim to none. Jobs, friends and DC life are too important for them to give up. Fine. (They live near the Capitol.)

So now, DW and I are pondering a move to the DC area. It’s not something I would have ever thought of as part of our “dream retirement,” but it may be our only real option as we look at our family situation.

First, I hate the thought of living in such a traffic-congested, densely populated, urban nightmare. Just driving into DC is a pain, let alone choosing to move there.

Second, we would have to give up so much comfort and square footage for housing. From what I can tell by scanning Zillow, the housing costs for even small, condo-style properties are insane. Our paid-up home here in NC with 2800 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, etc. is worth about the same as a 900 sq ft 1-2 bedroom unit in DC, which may need refurbishing! In Capitol Hill, you’ve got 100+ year old row houses jammed against each other with no yard or parking selling for $1,000,000! And even though there are properties in the suburbs that might be less costly, what about location, traffic, lifestyle, etc.? Where we live now, it’s easy to get out to stores, parks, retail, etc. by car, with easy access and parking. In DC, DD has to pay for parking just to go to pediatric appointments for grandkids in downtown. I would hate to have to think about where to park for every little errand or shopping trip. And getting to a Metro station as I age and have more health concerns isn’t comforting either.

Third, even if we decided to buy, could we even get a mortgage as retirees? We have a decent asset level, but currently draw little in income waiting till later to draw on retirement accounts and SS. Perhaps we could rent something, but even that looks like it could cost at minimum about $30000 per year. We have even thought about checking out some continuing care retirement communities in the DC area, but spending around $500000 for a non refundable entrance fee at only age 65 would put a big dent in our finances if we have 20-30 years more of life.

The bottom line is: We have an extremely fortunate financial and lifestyle situation for living out retirement in NC. But we will ultimately need family time that can only be found in DC or nearby. But at what cost, and where?

Anyone else face this situation and are happily retired in DC?
livesoft

Re: Retirement Move to DC area?

Post by livesoft »

You are trying to get too close. Why not move to Northern Virginia except way further out? It will be more like NC I think. Full disclosure: I used to live in Northern Virginia near DC.

And if you lived further out, then your family and grandchildren in DC may actually be able to appreciate getting away from the city to visit you.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

Living in a HCOL city is different than NC. Why do you need to buy? Rent. Why do you need a large place? You are retired and there are only 2 of you
If you want to be near family, you can make trade offs.
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
02nz

Post by 02nz »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am Just driving into DC is a pain,
First mistake right there. There's excellent (by US standards) public transport infrastructure that can get you around much more easily and quickly.

Think in terms of "transit corridors." If the DD and grandkids are in Capitol Hill, they may be near the blue/silver lines, in which case a place in northern VA on that Metro line could be very very convenient.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:02 am You are trying to get too close. Why not move to Northern Virginia except way further out? It will be more like NC I think. Full disclosure: I used to live in Northern Virginia near DC.

And if you lived further out, then your family and grandchildren in DC may actually be able to appreciate getting away from the city to visit you.
+1. I used to live in Northern VA too.
All_About_Benjis

Post by All_About_Benjis »

I live in NE DC, not too far from the MD border. I would recommend checking out Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, etc. i think you can find a home you like there for much more reasonable prices than on Capitol Hill. You’d also get good access to bike paths, parks, groceries, etc.

We’re considering moving to that area (or the Sligo Creek Park area just north of there) if we only need to be in the office 2-3 days/wk post pandemic.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

DC is indeed very expensive. Harpers Ferry WV and surround is very picturesque and is served by Amtrak and commuter rail to DC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpers_Ferry_station
dj22

Post by dj22 »

I agree with others, don't move to DC but somewhere outside. Loudoun county VA is close to everything and will eventually be on the Silver line. The tracks and stations are in and just waiting to open. It is close to Dulles for travel and you can be downtown in 30 minutes on the weekends. Landsdowne has great medical facilities and doctors. Real estate is still expensive but it is everywhere right now. You are the first person I've ever heard that wants to retire in the DC area, most of us that live here are counting the days until we can leave :D We are in Ashburn, VA.
Topic Author
PSM

Post by PSM »

Well, I don’t really want to retire there…but trying to find a way to be close to family. Already happily retired in NC.

Keep those thoughts and suggestions coming…thanks all.
Last edited by PSM on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Yeah there are lots of options outside of DC. If you prefer space there are a lot of options depending on how close you want to be. Plenty of nice areas in places like Howard County and Carroll County or more easterly if you prefer the ocean. And you have a number of options in VA.

I couldn't imagine living in DC but I'm not a big city person and prefer to live outside of one.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
All_About_Benjis

Post by All_About_Benjis »

dj22 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:42 am I agree with others, don't move to DC but somewhere outside. Loudoun county VA is close to everything and will eventually be on the Silver line. The tracks and stations are in and just waiting to open. It is close to Dulles for travel and you can be downtown in 30 minutes on the weekends. Landsdowne has great medical facilities and doctors. Real estate is still expensive but it is everywhere right now. You are the first person I've ever heard that wants to retire in the DC area, most of us that live here are counting the days until we can leave :D We are in Ashburn, VA.
100%. We can’t wait to leave; sadly, our current jobs require us living in the area and hard to make the salaries we currently are doing something else (that we are qualified to do).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:38 am DC is indeed very expensive. Harpers Ferry WV and surround is very picturesque and is served by Amtrak and commuter rail to DC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpers_Ferry_station
+1. If your daughter and her family live near the Capital, they also live near Union Station. Take a look at cities or towns in MD, VA and WV that are served by both Amtrak and commuter rail. That gives you more travel options. You can live far enough out that you aren't in the congested areas of DC (which is anywhere within 60 miles of the Capital) and are just a convenient and low-stress train ride from your family and all that DC has to offer.
delamer

Post by delamer »

You really need to figure out how close you need/want to be to your daughter’s family.

“Around the corner” gives you much fewer options than “within a 1.5 hour drive.”

We live in a small town that’s about 1 hour, 15 minute drive from one of our adult children and their spouse (no grandkids yet) in a major city. So close enough to see them regularly and get to them (and vice versa) easily in an emergency, but with the benefit of a more low key, less expensive lifestyle for us.

A CCRC deposit seems premature at your ages, which is the same as ours (mid-60’s). My thought is to stay where we are for 10-ish years and then begin looking for a CCRC near one of our kids (other adult kid is currently living with us while job hunting).

I’d never downplay the desire to be near your grandkids/adukt kids. But assuming two working parents with kids in school full-time (or about to be), there are only so many hours that they’ll be able to spend with you. So it’s important that you be happy in your environment (and financially comfortable) and not compromise too much to be close.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

delamer wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:08 pm I’d never downplay the desire to be near your grandkids/adukt kids. But assuming two working parents with kids in school full-time (or about to be), there are only so many hours that they’ll be able to spend with you. So it’s important that you be happy in your environment (and financially comfortable) and not compromise too much to be close.
The other end of the spectrum would be to pool resources and buy a big house with an in-law suite or accessory dwelling unit. Could be too close for comfort . . .
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Do you have other social network in DC area?

What will you do if a job opportunity takes them elsewhere, will you uproot and follow them again?

How will you feel if they turn down career opportunities so as not to cause you to have to uproot?

Not being critical, as we are pondering some of these issues ourselves.

Our kids are just launching in life, and we live quite far from them. We have no desire to move now, but not sure what we will do as we age and grand kids start arriving.
Last edited by marcopolo on Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Topic Author
PSM

Post by PSM »

We don’t have any other connections in the area. It would be a complete “starting over.”
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Not sure where you are in NC. Flights between RDU and BWI are really cheap. $29 on Spirit. You could just resolve to buy a lot of airline tickets. Keep a complete set of clothes and everything else you need up here in DC. A buddy of mine has a second home on St. Simon's island and commutes back and forth on Southwest from BWI to JAX two or three times a month. You can buy a lot of tickets for the difference in cost of living.
chazas

Post by chazas »

I live in the DMV and while still working I’ve been setting myself up for potential retirement here. If you don’t like the city I second looking along the rail lines. I live in City of Manassas in the old town area. I can walk to the train station (VRE to work, Amtrak to NY, etc.). There are lots of nice bars and restaurants within walking distance. I know all my neighbors, city council and school board members. Housing isn’t cheap but it’s was less expensive than closer in, as is the cost of living generally. It’s easy enough to get to DC that I’m dating someone from there long term. Traffic is still bad though.
furiouschads

Post by furiouschads »

Hyattsville MD is within easy reach of Capitol Hill. It has been redeveloped to focus on being a walkable community. Also has an active "Aging In Place" interest group.

Greenbelt MD's old New Deal section is known as a "naturally occurring retirement community." Social ownership of co-op housing units has kept prices very affordable. Also within easy reach of Capitol Hill.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. --Charles Addams. #613 in 2022 BH prediction contest. #42 in 2023. Not that I am keeping track.
worthit

Post by worthit »

rich126 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:50 am Yeah there are lots of options outside of DC. If you prefer space there are a lot of options depending on how close you want to be. Plenty of nice areas in places like Howard County and Carroll County or more easterly if you prefer the ocean. And you have a number of options in VA.

I couldn't imagine living in DC but I'm not a big city person and prefer to live outside of one.
This.

These will give you an idea of the prices and the distance from DC. There are very nice 55+ communities as well in and around Howard County.

https://www.zillow.com/howard-county-md/

https://www.redfin.com/county/1322/MD/Howard-County

https://money.com/collection/best-place ... aryland-2/
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If, as a retiree, you’re worrying about traffic in DC, you’re doing it wrong. DC has good public transit and is dense enough to be walkable. If I moved to DC itself, I probably wouldn’t even have a car. And as a retiree, you can plan your trips so that you don’t have to go during commute times. Honestly, I think big cities are great retirement places. Lots to do, close to everything, much easier to get around without a car than anyplace suburban or rural, and you’re at a point in life where you don’t need a lot of living space.

But it sounds like you hate the place and don’t want to live there. So don’t live there. If you can get within an hour’s drive, you’ll be close enough for grandkid time, and for the kids to come over in an emergency.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

In my decade or so in DC, I have known quite a large number of retiree couples who live downtown. They tend to get a lot of enjoyment out of the museums and the concerts, lectures, etc. that go along with that. They have either lived in one or two-bedroom condos, or in one case in a townhouse in the Shaw neighborhood. In other words, the ones I have known do not put a premium on having a lot of space. I don't think any of them have owned cars, but instead take advantage of the public transportation or car share services when required. That is one vision of retired life, but it doesn't necessarily sound like your vision of retired life. If 900 sq ft seems small to you, and you are wedded to having a car, then I think the suggestions to live somewhere like Loudon County, VA would be a better fit.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
DecoGd

Post by DecoGd »

Living in DC can be intense and difficult - it is expensive with heavy traffic and rising crime. Living in Northern Virginia or suburban Maryland has its challenges too. It is expensive and it takes a long time to get anywhere regardless of transportation mode. I live in central DC and have family in Raleigh/Durham NC. From my experience, the lifestyle here is harder and working people don't have a lot of free time. If you want to make a move, why not rent an AirBnB in DC for a month at a time and commute via cheap airlines? That might give you the best of both worlds and an opportunity to assess the reality before making a long term commitment.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

OP,

Make sure you, wife and kids all agree on frequency of visits if you move closer. Be very candid about what you want and also ask the young family what they would want. Be very frank. Don’t move unless there is clarity and agreement.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I lived in DC for over decade in Dupont circle, one and a half miles north of the White House. You never drive if you live in DC. You've got the metro system, and local buses. There was a bus at the intersection of 16th and T about every 15 minutes. I don't think I drove at all for a decade. We had a car and it was a pain in the "ss, but we kept it to go out of town.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:50 pm OP,

Make sure you, wife and kids all agree on frequency of visits if you move closer. Be very candid about what you want and also ask the young family what they would want. Be very frank. Don’t move unless there is clarity and agreement.
+1

I'm curious about what the expectations would be around childcare. Is the OP and wife planning on providing childcare a few times a week? That will make a big difference with how close the OP needs/wants to be.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

I've always hated the idea of living in big cities too, but now I'm getting ready to start an assignment in DC in a month or two. I've decided to embrace the urban environment and rent close to a metro station with the idea that the car will only be used on weekends for trips or shopping. Housing prices in the close-in areas are insane for sure - $2-3k/mo. for a 1 BR apartment. If I weren't getting a housing allowance from my company to cover that, there's no way I would move there and pay those prices. In your situation, there's really no need to pay that much though. The reason to live close in is to cut down the daily commute. If you're only doing it every week or two it wouldn't be a big deal to travel an hour or more into the city. So live farther out where prices are cheaper, but still close enough that you can still drop by on weekends.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am Wife and I happily retired and moved to a comfortable situation here in NC a few years ago, in a nice city, good medical care, good shopping, moderate traffic, LCOL, etc. However, we only have one family member nearby, about the same age, who can’t become responsible for our well-being as we age.

First, I hate the thought of living in such a traffic-congested, densely populated, urban nightmare. Just driving into DC is a pain, let alone choosing to move there.

Having lived in NVA (inside the Beltway) for 3 decades, I would agree with your characterization. And yes, while there is a subway system there (Metro), it is suffering from poor service. I would not make a move to DC on the concept of making easily convenient use of Metro. And to buy anything near a Metro station, even in the distant suburbs, will be very expensive.

Second, we would have to give up so much comfort and square footage for housing.

Agreed. And you will face higher costs across the board, from all manner of taxes to food. If you make this move, please be sure to revisit your retirement budget.

Third, even if we decided to buy, could we even get a mortgage as retirees?

I don't know.

The bottom line is: We have an extremely fortunate financial and lifestyle situation for living out retirement in NC. But we will ultimately need family time that can only be found in DC or nearby. But at what cost, and where?

We did just the opposite: we left DC on the cusp of retirement. While I sympathize with your family situation, I would hesitate to execute on your potential plan. Plus, as others have noted, the day after your move your family members could accept jobs elsewhere and move away. I would never plan a retirement chasing a child around the country. We have tried to work it where our children would come to us, instead of vice versa. And so far, that has been reasonably successful.

Last edited by Zeno on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (where to live).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
PSM

Post by PSM »

This discussion is exactly what I hoped for, with a lot to think about.
In response to the childcare question, there’s not any expectation about that. In fact, we haven’t even made a decision with them about our moving closer yet. We just know we will have to make this decision sometime.
If my daughter ever needs to provide some assistance to us like I did for my parents in their final years, she sure won’t be able to do it by coming to NC from DC very often.

I’m realizing how different my lifestyle has been from those who depend on public transportation. Even in our big cities here, we use cars. In fact, we can go to a lot of places and activities easily. We’re just used to that, especially the ability to just go shopping or sightseeing or theater or sports events or play golf or out to eat or anywhere in the state fairly easily. The car always makes that possible…not having to feel more limited by public transport or to a smaller geographic area.
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am Wife and I happily retired and moved to a comfortable situation here in NC a few years ago, in a nice city, good medical care, good shopping, moderate traffic, LCOL, etc. However, we only have one family member nearby, about the same age, who can’t become responsible for our well-being as we age.

Our DD and husband, who live in DC, with good jobs, have given us two grandchildren in the past couple of years. As we have discovered, It’s tough to get to know grandchildren mainly on FaceTime, as well as being hard for our two households to help each other as needed. However, the chance that our DD and family would leave DC and move to NC are slim to none. Jobs, friends and DC life are too important for them to give up. Fine. (They live near the Capitol.)

So now, DW and I are pondering a move to the DC area. It’s not something I would have ever thought of as part of our “dream retirement,” but it may be our only real option as we look at our family situation.

Second, we would have to give up so much comfort and square footage for housing. From what I can tell by scanning Zillow, the housing costs for even small, condo-style properties are insane. Our paid-up home here in NC with 2800 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, etc. is worth about the same as a 900 sq ft 1-2 bedroom unit in DC, which may need refurbishing! In Capitol Hill, you’ve got 100+ year old row houses jammed against each other with no yard or parking selling for $1,000,000! And even though there are properties in the suburbs that might be less costly, what about location, traffic, lifestyle, etc.? Where we live now, it’s easy to get out to stores, parks, retail, etc. by car, with easy access and parking. In DC, DD has to pay for parking just to go to pediatric appointments for grandkids in downtown. I would hate to have to think about where to park for every little errand or shopping trip. And getting to a Metro station as I age and have more health concerns isn’t comforting either.

Third, even if we decided to buy, could we even get a mortgage as retirees? We have a decent asset level, but currently draw little in income waiting till later to draw on retirement accounts and SS. Perhaps we could rent something, but even that looks like it could cost at minimum about $30000 per year. We have even thought about checking out some continuing care retirement communities in the DC area, but spending around $500000 for a non refundable entrance fee at only age 65 would put a big dent in our finances if we have 20-30 years more of life.

OP,

We have lived in the DC region for about 12 years now and are considering retiring here.

Some basics:

1. Geographically, DC is only about 68 square miles. Imagine an 8 miles x 8 miles square. That’s about it. Approximately. The rest of the region is Maryland and northern Virginia.

2. Imagine a clock with DC at the center showing time at ten minutes to six. The Potomac river flows along the minute hand and hour hand in this position. Everything below the river (to the West and South-West) is Virginia. Above the river (North, East, South-East) is all Maryland. DC is a small box that juts out from the Potomac river.

3. Coming into DC from VA may invariably involve crossing a bridge (bottleneck). Not so from Maryland. But traffic is a bear regardless.

4. The circumference of the clock may be imagined to be the beltway. (I-495 goes around the as a ring road).

5. As a retiree, you can choose to live anywhere around this clock at any distance convenient to you (say 1 or 2 hours out). Since you won’t be commuting, you can avoid the traffic by adjusting travel times and using trains (hence the advice from some posters here of living close to train stations). There are commuter trains (DC Metro / MARC) and Amtrak. Look into both.

6. You should be able to find many areas that are rural in character, have a small town feel, or are urban or suburban in character.

7. Homes are more affordable (and you can get more land for the money) as you go further out (but still be well within striking distance of DC).

8. I would suggest touring the place and staying in some locations (see air-bnb offerings) or renting for short stays to see which place around the above-clock appeals to you.

9. VA and MD have different tax laws that may affect your finances; you may add that to your list of research topics in considering this move.

Wish you all the best in your retirement.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm This discussion is exactly what I hoped for, with a lot to think about.
In response to the childcare question, there’s not any expectation about that. In fact, we haven’t even made a decision with them about our moving closer yet. We just know we will have to make this decision sometime.
If my daughter ever needs to provide some assistance to us like I did for my parents in their final years, she sure won’t be able to do it by coming to NC from DC very often.

I’m realizing how different my lifestyle has been from those who depend on public transportation. Even in our big cities here, we use cars. In fact, we can go to a lot of places and activities easily. We’re just used to that, especially the ability to just go shopping or sightseeing or theater or sports events or play golf or out to eat or anywhere in the state fairly easily. The car always makes that possible…not having to feel more limited by public transport or to a smaller geographic area.
FWIW, it is very easy to get to shopping, restaurants, groceries, sightseeing, theaters, and sports events in DC. I can get to a wide variety of choices for each of those options with a ten minute walk from where I live. I can't say if any of the golf courses are any good, because I don't play golf, but there are at least 81 holes within the confines of the District.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Lots of people drive in DC. That’s why traffic is so bad!

As noted, you can avoid the worst of it by traveling outside the peak commuting hours.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:28 pm If, as a retiree, you’re worrying about traffic in DC, you’re doing it wrong. DC has good public transit and is dense enough to be walkable. If I moved to DC itself, I probably wouldn’t even have a car. And as a retiree, you can plan your trips so that you don’t have to go during commute times. Honestly, I think big cities are great retirement places. Lots to do, close to everything, much easier to get around without a car than anyplace suburban or rural, and you’re at a point in life where you don’t need a lot of living space.
Totally agree that DC is a great place for seniors. (Third generation Washingtonian in my late 60s who grew up in DC and have a large extended family of ancestors on both sides of my family who lived in the area their entire lives, so I have watched two generations of my forebears, i.e., grandparents, great aunt, parents, uncles, aunts successfully age in a variety of residential settings: single family home, condo, rental apartment, senior community etc.)

In particular, I have very precious memories of living near grandparents on both sides who were in three blocks walking distance of my home for a good chunk of my childhood.

If you don't like subways, there is also a lot of bus service. But actually the subways are often great, once you get used to them. And if you want an *occasional* car without the hassles of worrying about parking, maintenance, etc., there are Zipcars for easy convenient short term rentals. And Amtrak is great for longer trips from DC up and down the East Coast.

My major reservation about living in DC area is the long oppressively hot and humid summer but if you are used to North Carolina, maybe that wouldn't bother you. And, to be honest, the pollution bothered me a lot when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, but it has gotten markedly better. If you can pick a nice leafy green neighborhood with mature trees shading the streets it can be so much nicer.

But still, I have been so spoiled by the cleaner air and more moderate Upstate NY summers that I think I'd find DC summers hard to deal with on a permanent basis. But early spring and late fall are lovely (especially compared to Upstate NY.)
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm I’m realizing how different my lifestyle has been from those who depend on public transportation.
From experience, unless one is physically living in the heart of DC proper (and that would entail a very small and expensive space, such as a condo) and thus can walk within a limited-block area, you are going to be using a car or car service (Uber). A car in an urban area will be difficult for you, based on your posts. And if you keep the car, you would have to plan on parking it, and the expenses and nuisances associated with car ownership in the core of major urban area.

Many areas are also difficult to access by foot in DC. It is next to impossible to walk to the Kennedy Center, for example, unless one lives right by it. To walk around the Mall is a haul, even for those in great physical shape.

There are car sharing services in DC, but I'm not acquainted with those.

If you plan to buy a place outside of DC, you have six options to get downtown:

(1) Car, but that will involve the congestion that you seem to be acquainted with, and that congestion also exists on the weekends. I clearly remember traffic jams at midday on Saturday on I-66, for example. Driving in DC and the surrounding area is unpleasant no matter how one cuts it, particularly if one isn't acquainted with it.

(2) Car service, but that will be expensive.

(3) Slugging (not recommended for a retiree).

(4) Metro, but that will also involve a car to get to the station unless you live within walking distance to the station (very expensive). And most of the Metro stations outside of the urban core have parking lots, but these frequently are filled by 5:30 am on a weekday. So if you want to visit DD downtown on a Wednesday, for example, plan on getting up at 4:30 am to make it to the lot by 5:30 am. And again, before relying on Metro, research local media (WTOP, for example) for stories about the financial and service problems facing the Metro -- and that was even before the pandemic.

(5) Train, but that has limited corridors, and is also basically limited to one downtown destination: Union Station. So once at Union Station, you can take Metro (see above) or use a car service.

(6) Biking, if you are reasonably close in, in great shape and are comfortable with the risks associated with that.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

WyomingFIRE wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:42 pm
PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm I’m realizing how different my lifestyle has been from those who depend on public transportation.
From experience, unless one is physically living in the heart of DC proper (and that would entail a very small and expensive space, such as a condo) and thus can walk within a limited-block area, you are going to be using a car or car service (Uber). A car in an urban area will be difficult for you, based on your posts. And if you keep the car, you would have to plan on parking it, and the expenses and nuisances associated with car ownership in the core of major urban area.

Many areas are also difficult to access by foot in DC. It is next to impossible to walk to the Kennedy Center, for example, unless one lives right by it. To walk around the Mall is a haul, even for those in great physical shape.

There are car sharing services in DC, but I'm not acquainted with those.

If you plan to buy a place outside of DC, you have six options to get downtown:

(1) Car, but that will involve the congestion that you seem to be acquainted with, and that congestion also exists on the weekends. I clearly remember traffic jams at midday on Saturday on I-66, for example. Driving in DC and the surrounding area is unpleasant no matter how one cuts it, particularly if one isn't acquainted with it.

(2) Car service, but that will be expensive.

(3) Slugging (not recommended for a retiree).

(4) Metro, but that will also involve a car to get to the station unless you live within walking distance to the station (very expensive). And most of the Metro stations outside of the urban core have parking lots, but these frequently are filled by 5:30 am on a weekday. So if you want to visit DD downtown on a Wednesday, for example, plan on getting up at 4:30 am to make it to the lot by 5:30 am. And again, before relying on Metro, research local media (WTOP, for example) for stories about the financial and service problems facing the Metro -- and that was even before the pandemic.

(5) Train, but that has limited corridors, and is also basically limited to one downtown destination: Union Station. So once at Union Station, you can take Metro (see above) or use a car service.

(6) Biking, if you are reasonably close in, in great shape and are comfortable with the risks associated with that.
You left out buses. (I know, most of this country cannot imagine that anyone other than very poor people would ride the bus.) It's an important part of the public transit system in DC, and how a lot of people get around, whether to/from a Metro station or on routes that are not conveniently covered by Metro. Service on key routes (such as the 16th St corridor) is quite frequent and (in the context of these things) reasonably reliable. There are even express (limited-stop) services.

OP, Google Maps and/or WMATA's website are useful for looking up transit connections between two places. You may be surprised how easy it is to get around on public transit.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm I’m realizing how different my lifestyle has been from those who depend on public transportation. Even in our big cities here, we use cars. In fact, we can go to a lot of places and activities easily. We’re just used to that, especially the ability to just go shopping or sightseeing or theater or sports events or play golf or out to eat or anywhere in the state fairly easily. The car always makes that possible…not having to feel more limited by public transport or to a smaller geographic area.
I think what you’re missing in this discussion is that yes, you can jump in the car and go all over NC easily enough. But in the heart of DC, because of the density, you would actually have easier access to more amenities. It is a smaller geographic area, but there’s a a lot more of everything in that small area. People don’t drive because they don’t need to drive.

Don’t get me wrong. I personally wouldn’t make the move, because I’m not a huge fan of the summertime weather in DC. And I’m even less of a fan of following my grown kids around the country. But I think it would be a much better place to retire than a car dependent suburb or small city. There’s way more amenities to take advantage of, and it would be easier to age in place. That’s all I’m saying.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I live in northern Virginia. Everybody here looks forward to retiring. And moving any place else. Most seem to retire to North Carolina. I’m very much looking forward to leaving this area…..

It’s very “rat race-y” here. A lot of people are only here temporarily, etc. the amount of ambition and “me first attitude” make it very difficult to form a good social circle.

Other than career opportunities, this area doesn’t have much going for it. I can’t imagine moving here unless you needed to for work.

Also, it’s getting very expensive, even further out. My run of the mill tract home in prince William county would sell for $700K. It takes me an hour to drive to DC. And it’s one of the most miserable hours I can imagine. I basically never go to DC because it is such an unbearable chore.
Last edited by Normchad on Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pmLots of people drive in DC. That’s why traffic is so bad!
This sounds like an old Yogi Berra line:

“Nobody drives in DC, the traffic is too bad.”
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Normchad wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:34 pm Everybody here looks forward to retiring. And moving any place else.
This varies. My parents have been retired in Bethesda in the family home for several decades and love it. I can see both the appeal and the shortcomings of retiring there but plenty of folks to stay there in retirement. I moved away about a decade and a half ago and retiring there is actually one of several options I am looking at when the time comes. YMMV.
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

Now that I think about it, my handyman (a retired engineer) and his wife moved to the DC area (to a retirement community in MD), to be close to his adult daughter who lives in the area.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I think OP needs to determine how integrated he wants to be in his DD and grandkids lives. If he wants the ability to see them multiple times a week, take them to the zoo or ballgame, then he’ll have to live very close and accept the lifestyle change.

If he’s okay with 1 or 2 times a month then he could find similar housing in the exurbs to what he has now and DD can drive out for a visit. Of course, he could also stay in NC and periodically fly up as suggested above and stay at a B&B on Capitol Hill.

I’m retired and live in downtown DC. Got rid of my car in 2003. Everything I could possibly need is within a 20 minute walk. I wouldn’t keep a car in the city. I make good money renting my parking space to those who don’t share that view. Last week a person in my building offered $350/mo. with 6 months upfront.

Living without a car is culturally alien to most Americans and requires an adventurous spirit to figure it out.
Live

Post by Live »

I have lived in Northern Virginia for almost 3 decades and would recommend the 55 plus retirement communities locally. Many have good medical care on site. The health system locally is outstanding. The public transit system is expanding, and interstate 66 is widening. Driving will require spending for tolls at times.
My wife's parents chose to stay here for their retirement years after my father in-law chose this location to raise my wife despite army promotion if he moved elsewhere. This has been the reason we originally moved here, and my in-laws have been very involved in the lives of our kids. He even bought a minivan, and she made Halloween costumes for my daughter (the bunny rabbit was the best one.) Good luck in your decision-making. Money isn't everything, and social media is not real life, IMHO.
furiouschads

Post by furiouschads »

If you insist on living a suburban life in the DC area, you can. It can be like suburbia anywhere, with car dependence, national chains, and lots of traffic on the weekend. You could be living in Plano. And be miserable or make it work.

We chose to live in DC, to experience living in the nation's capital. We use the great transit system and the rapidly improving system of bike routes. When I go home to visit family in Texas, after I have been there for a week, I am always struck by the thought, "Oh yeah, this is what it is like to have to drive everywhere!" I use the transit system and I can do whatever I want while commuting. The transit system will actually be getting better as they start implementing bus-priority lanes. It will also have to do things to get people back into the system after being away for so long because of the scary thing that started last March.

I do think about moving away as I approach retirement. But I'm struck by the experience of a friend who retired and moved to a nice cul-de-sac place on the Delaware shore. You know, low taxes. He found that he has to drive everywhere, and that good medical specialists are available--in Philly, Baltimore, or DC. DC looks better and better as a retirement place for me. I have great services, entertainment, friends, and if I stop driving, I'll still be able to use transit to do so many things, or use Lyft to bridge the gap. DC might actually be the place, for me.

But maybe I'll try an August vacation in someplace cool...
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. --Charles Addams. #613 in 2022 BH prediction contest. #42 in 2023. Not that I am keeping track.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

For the next decade, could you do several long visits a year where you get an AirBnb for 2-3 weeks at a time? If you did this once a quarter you would still be able to see your daughter and grandchildren a lot but wouldn't have to give up your lifestyle and social connections in NC. As years go by and you age and the idea of having your daughter provide care for you is more important, you could look into a permanent relocation to the DC area or environs then?
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Have you talked to your daughter about your expectation that she will take care of you as you age?

I see the potential for hurt feelings in a number of areas:

1. You don’t want to move there. If you don’t get to see the family as much as you want/expect, you may resent the move.

2. If you and your daughter have different expectations for late life care, you may feel you moved closer under this assumption and there isn’t reciprocation in sacrifice.
Lars_2013

Post by Lars_2013 »

PSM wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am The bottom line is: We have an extremely fortunate financial and lifestyle situation for living out retirement in NC. But we will ultimately need family time that can only be found in DC or nearby. But at what cost, and where?

My grandparents moved to a retirement community in suburban DC (Riderwood, which is just outside the beltway near I-95 in Maryland) when they were in their upper 80s. They were between 45 and 70 minutes of my parents (who live in Baltimore), depending on traffic. After my father retired, my parents visited at least once a week, and were able to be present daily during times of health crises (they did stay over at my grandparents place a fair amount during hospitalization, etc). Riderwood's costs don't include healthcare, so the deposit fee and monthly fees are somewhat lower than some other places (my grandparents had retiree healthcare through my grandmother's job), although the monthly fees (which include one meal a day) are still expensive. All-told, my grandparents were very happy with the choice to move to the DC area and it was a lot less stressful for my parents than if they had stayed 4-6 hours away. That said, your situation is pretty different because you're a lot younger and seem to intend to spend a lot of time with your grandchildren.

Given your stated preference for larger houses, a drivable community, and free parking, I second or third the suggestion that if your intent is only to see the grandchildren once or twice a week, finding a place in a commuter town on the MARC, VRE, and/or Amtrak lines could be a good solution (you'll want to check the schedules and how full the parking lots get before you finalize a location; the MARC Penn Line provides much more frequent service (and weekend service) than the other MARC lines or VRE, but some of the towns along other lines are maybe less congested). You could take the train into Union Station, walk to Capital Hill, pick up the kids, and go see a museum or take a walk with them or whatever. And the family could come out to your big suburban place for holiday meals, weekend cookouts, grandchildren sleepovers to give parents a date night, etc. If your intent is to provide daily childcare, you need to be close (preferably walking distance) and just give up the idea of driving everywhere and free parking.
Topic Author
PSM

Post by PSM »

We have 3 weeks at an AirBnb in Capitol Hill coming up soon. I’m sure it will be our most clear experience of what it’s like to be a DC resident.
Tjb

Post by Tjb »

We are originally from Maryland and have lived a number of places, including NC and Europe. We currently reside in Frederick Md. Frederick has Amtrak service to DC, and it's a short drive to the Shady Grove Metro Station to go to DC. Frederick is the second largest city in Maryland, but it's downtown is not big, and it very quaint with lots of amenities. The Weinberg Theater has many events and there are lots of Restaurants. It has become a bedroom community for DC. Lots of history and I think it is nice for retirees. That being said, we also have a home in Greensboro NC, which we bought in 2005 when we moved there for a work assignment. My mother in law also moved to NC from MD but at Sunset Beach. 5 years after our move, I was offered an assignment in Europe and we moved and were gone for 5 years. My MIL then had to fly to Europe to visit. That is tough to plan for as that could happen to you as well if your daughter relocates.

We kept our house in NC and plan to move back there when I retire. My MIl is still there, and my wife is an only child. We like the NC weather as well. Our house in NC would cost 3 times what we paid for it in DC, and one of the reasons we did not buy when we moved to Frederick. We have rented the past few years and are right in Downtown Frederick. of course, it has not appreciated as much as some of the homes we owned in MD, but, overall cost of living is much less expensive in NC.

Take a look at Frederick, it's got a lot to offer and easy access to DC. Don't rule out your daughter moving if that will cause you regrets that you moved to DC. As others have said, travel costs back and forth and even hotel costs, or Air BNB rentals would likely be less costly if you stayed in NC.

Good luck on the decison making process.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

PSM wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:50 am We have 3 weeks at an AirBnb in Capitol Hill coming up soon. I’m sure it will be our most clear experience of what it’s like to be a DC resident.
Just try to do it right and live like you would if you lived there, if that makes sense. If you drive all over the city it will frustrate you, if you go to touristy spots it won't be the same people, etc. DC is great - enjoy!