Which 7 seater SUV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ram

Which 7 seater SUV?

Post by ram »

My wife wants to discard her minivan and buy a "nice" SUV. We live in an area with 5 months of snow. The new SUV will have winter tires. Our other vehicles are Lexus LS 460, 2012 and Toyota Avalon, 2006.

Budget : 100K (SUV = 92 K, tax & insurance = 8K)

Necessary attributes:
-At least 6 seats of which at least 4 have to be very comfortable for long 6 to 8 hours/day rides. Seats #5,6 and 7 can be small and uncomfortable. (Some 7 seater SUV's become 6 seater with second row captain chairs). Added: Seats #5, 6 & 7 will be rarely used. The SUV is needed mostly for 2 people and gear, sometimes for 4 people and gear and occasionally for 7 people with no gear. I do not need very large 7 seater SUV.
-AWD
- Heated front seats.
-Heated steering wheel.
-Remote starter (original or after market)
-Fairly quiet.
-Reasonably reliable.
-Backup and parking assist cameras and sensors.

Desirable:
-Front ventilated seats.
-Second row heated seats
-Automatic high beam
- Apple connectivity
-Most newer safety features
- "Recommended" category on Consumer Reports

Historically we have bought Toyota, Honda, Lexus vehicles for their reliability and value, but this time we are open to deviating from the norm to some extent.

Options under consideration:
Non Luxury brands:
1. Kia Telluride SX (top trim) . Best rated midsize by Consumer reports, Edmunds and Car and Driver. All internet reviews are excellent. I have not been inside one. But reports suggest that its the next best thing after sliced bread. I am very interested in first hand reports.
2. Toyota Highlander Platinum trim: default choice based on our prior toyota/ lexus cars.
3. Toyota Land Cruiser: I really do not need the brawn of that vehicle but it generates a lot of enthusiasm on this board.

Mid size Luxury SUVs;
4. Lexus RX - L Wonder if seat #3 and 4 are going to be cramped. But should be reliable and quiet.
5. Lexus GX - Wonder about the comfort level in this truck based SUV. Also has not been updated for many years. Has the same engine as my Lexus LS which I am very happy with.

Large Luxury SUVs
6. BMW X7 , 6 cylinder (base model): Best rating in this category on CR. Will have to avoid the extras to keep price within budget. I am aware of the anticipated higher maintenance costs and poorer reliability compared to Lexus.
7 ? Buick Enclave: ?budget choice

We are not interested in Tesla or other electric cars at this time. I have eliminated Mercedes GLS or GLX based on reliability data. Looks like Audi Q7 has also gone down in reliability with the new model from 2020 onwards.

In about 5 to 7 years we will retire/cut back and may buy a light weight trailer at that time. I am assuming that any one of the above will be adequate for an Airstream Bambi or an up to 19 foot fiberglass trailer.

(Financials are in order and we will pay cash)
Last edited by ram on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ram
Bb073084

Re: Which 7 seater SUV?

Post by Bb073084 »

Subaru ascent is very nice and handles well in the snow
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

Have you also considered the Acura MDX?
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

I had an Acura MDX for 13 years. One of the best cars I’ve owned. Honda makes things that last.
amindu

Post by amindu »

If you are looking for one where the third row is actually useable by adults and/or just more cargo space then something like a Tahoe, Armada would do the job.
anoop

Post by anoop »

MDX is the one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643DaT1Zovc

He also likes the XC90, but this is his value pick.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Please also check out Hyundai Palisade. Sister vehicle to Kia Telluride. Also won awards.

Spend $50k and use the rest for a trip of a lifetime go Africa! 👍
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Chevy Tahoe. It’s not considered Luxury, but good in snow, good for towing, checks all the boxes except maybe air cooled seats. Comfortable.
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

The tellurides are very sharp! I was looking at one at first before deciding that the 2022 carnival was perfect for us (only fwd thus not fitting your criteria). They are very popular by us at the moment in a HCOL area. Seems like you get a lot of value for your money there. Your pricing goal is most likely just near MSRP as many are going for above msrp based on region. Took me a few dealers before finding a more "ethical" kia dealer. Even though there were 10+Kia dealers nearby/closer we are driving to more rural locations to pick our new vehicles up upon delivery and did nearly everything over the phone. Be sure to look at the "lower trims" as they offer quite a bit more value. Our carnival is the LXS which even though lower on the trim level still packs quite a punch.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

I would NOT recommend test driving a Mercedes :D

We test drove the GLE and ended up buying it. it was head and shoulders above anything else we drove in performance, nice interior and infotainment.

I’m not sure what to think of reliability ratings. Does anyone rate the reliability of reliability ratings? We had a Subaru that was supposed to be reliable but ended up with many expensive problems. Cars are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what your gonna get
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (vehicle purchase).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
London

Post by London »

I’m not sure how the answer isn’t Lincoln Navigator. Many of the other SUVs in this chain are too small to meet your needs. I’d argue you can get the Ford Expedition for less money but I’m trying to hone in on “luxury”.

Checks all your boxes. Not as bulky to drive as you’d expect. The nose angle makes it preferable to the Escalade in my view.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

My wife's Chevy Traverse High Country fulfills all your requirements. I noticed the Buick Enclave on your list which is the same platform, but my wife preferred the Chevy version. You may also want to check out the Cadillac XT5, which is also the same platform.

We had an MDX for 10 years prior to the Traverse. My wife proclaimed it the best car ever, but wanted something with a more useable 3rd row. I suspect once we're hauling our kids around less she will want to go back to an MDX.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Toyota Highlander Platinum, tried and true!
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Honda Pilot Elite (third row has more headroom than MDX)
MDX
Land Cruiser
Tahoe
XC90
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Chevy Suburban with Duramax diesel engine.

Some testers are getting up to 30 mpg on the highway, 27mpg normal highway driving in the new duramax suburban. It's what will be probably our next vehicle for our 2 to 4x a month 3 hour drive to go skiing and mountain biking. But we have a 14 year old and 17 year old, as well as 5 dogs so space is nice.

We have a Land Cruiser now which is very tight with dogs in the back, but that is an awesome vehicle if 12-16mpg is ok. My wife drives a Q7 which is small inside, but a super fast and fun car to drive compared to the Land Cruiser. Q7 gets 19-23mph of Colorado mountain driving. We drive the LC if snow is forecasted, Q7 if it is going to be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM6-9pVv3X4&t=434s
Last edited by toomanysidehustles on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I'm not sure how important that 3rd row is in terms of size. Most aren't great. You list the Highlander, I found its 3rd row isn't great. We bought the Pilot because it was just a little more roomy back there, and to me the Pilot/Highlander are basically Coke/Pepsi beyond that. I also very much like the RX, but again, the backseat is going to be cramped. The MDX also has a cramped backseat, but not QUITE as cramped as the RX.

We have been teasing the Mercedes GLS, which has a nice backseat. Not spread-out-and-take-a-nap nice, but bigger than the others. It really doesn't get great reviews from Consumer Reports, and driving it, I wasn't "wowed". It's nice and it feels huge and bulky. The finishes didn't blow me away, but I'm hard to impress. I'm used to driving a Lexus or a good Pilot, so when I step into a car that costs almost twice as much, I expect to be stunned, and I just wasn't.

I can't vouch for it, but the BMW X7 seems to get stellar reviews. We're probably buying a car next year, and I'm looking at getting a 2-3 year old X7 if we like how it handles.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I would go with a new Tahoe or Escalade if both come in under $100k
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

You seem to be purposely avoiding American manufacturers, which I'm sure you have your reason, but your requirements are effectively the definition of a Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade or Ford Expedition. There's a reason they dominate sales in this space.

You say you need 7 seats. Do you really? I only ask since putting 7 full grown adults in many of the cars you listed would be like the clown car the circus. I certainly wouldn't want to be a back seat passenger (1 of 5) in those cars you've listed. If your other 5 are all sub-teen children, OK, sure - maybe. Are you also expecting any cargo room when hauling 7? I just don't see that being reality in the unibody wanna-be-big SUVs you've listed.

Towing a trailer? You're even more in the wheelhouse of the 4 I've listed.
Snow? All 4 are offered in 4WD.
gator15 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:25 am I would go with a new Tahoe or Escalade if both come in under $100k
Exactly. A Tahoe High Country or GMC Yukon Denali (highest trim levels) would both be well below $100k. Escalade would be tighter budget-wise.
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

The new Expedition is very nice, but you'll be waiting in line to get it.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you consider a Tahoe, just go right to a Suburban. They are only a few thousand more. The room behind the 3rd seat will swallow everything you can think of for a family trip without thinking about it or cramming things in. We had one when we owned a boat and we could fit everything inside including 2 mountain bikes for a week long trip near the lake. The downside.....every generation seems to have one big unreliable thing that becomes catastrophic. In ours, it was all the hard brake lines. We had 3 of them pop, losing all braking. The newer generation (starting in 07) went through transmissions every other oil change. Absolutely buy new and if there's a factory warranty, as you approach the end of the bumper to bumper, buy it.

The room is unbelievable. You can comfortably sit 8. If you can spring for the diesel, instead of 16 mpg, you'll get 25.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

sureshoe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:23 am I'm not sure how important that 3rd row is in terms of size. Most aren't great. You list the Highlander, I found its 3rd row isn't great. We bought the Pilot because it was just a little more roomy back there, and to me the Pilot/Highlander are basically Coke/Pepsi beyond that. I also very much like the RX, but again, the backseat is going to be cramped. The MDX also has a cramped backseat, but not QUITE as cramped as the RX.

We have been teasing the Mercedes GLS, which has a nice backseat. Not spread-out-and-take-a-nap nice, but bigger than the others. It really doesn't get great reviews from Consumer Reports, and driving it, I wasn't "wowed". It's nice and it feels huge and bulky. The finishes didn't blow me away, but I'm hard to impress. I'm used to driving a Lexus or a good Pilot, so when I step into a car that costs almost twice as much, I expect to be stunned, and I just wasn't.

I can't vouch for it, but the BMW X7 seems to get stellar reviews. We're probably buying a car next year, and I'm looking at getting a 2-3 year old X7 if we like how it handles.
Yeah, we cross shopped Highlander / Pilot / MDX the pilot had the most usable third row room.

I saw they wanted cooled seats, which on the pilot only seem to come with higher trim levels that have captains chairs in second row. We did EXL because we find the second row bench more useful (easy to throw one more kid in the back and still have cargo room vs putting up the third row).
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

teCh0010 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:13 am
sureshoe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:23 am I'm not sure how important that 3rd row is in terms of size. Most aren't great. You list the Highlander, I found its 3rd row isn't great. We bought the Pilot because it was just a little more roomy back there, and to me the Pilot/Highlander are basically Coke/Pepsi beyond that. I also very much like the RX, but again, the backseat is going to be cramped. The MDX also has a cramped backseat, but not QUITE as cramped as the RX.

Yeah, we cross shopped Highlander / Pilot / MDX the pilot had the most usable third row room.

I saw they wanted cooled seats, which on the pilot only seem to come with higher trim levels that have captains chairs in second row. We did EXL because we find the second row bench more useful (easy to throw one more kid in the back and still have cargo room vs putting up the third row).
So we bought a brand new Pilot Elite, which ended up being $52k... darn near the price tag of the luxury vehicles on here.

At the time, my wife felt strongly we needed the video system, which I knew the kids would outgrown quick - and they have, all iPad all the time now. We also don't really use the ventilated seats that much, and I find they don't help much when I do use them. I don't drive this much though. The Captain Chairs ended up being a negative rather than a positive because we lost a seat. It's a little easier to get to the back, and there is a tad more legroom in back, but meh.

The only "to die for" feature is the heated steering wheel.

All this to say is that I believe the EX-L is the best trim for the money. The Elite is "nice', but in hindsight, I would have saved the money.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Lincoln Navigator
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

London wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 am I’m not sure how the answer isn’t Lincoln Navigator. Many of the other SUVs in this chain are too small to meet your needs. I’d argue you can get the Ford Expedition for less money but I’m trying to hone in on “luxury”.

Checks all your boxes. Not as bulky to drive as you’d expect. The nose angle makes it preferable to the Escalade in my view.
+1 on this.

With a $100k budget, I'd go with a top end Navigator Long edition.

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition EL (now Max). Top notch people and stuff mover. Suburban and Yukon XL are also nice for people and stuff.

Subaru Ascent should get a test drive. People or stuff instead of people and stuff.
zag00

Post by zag00 »

GMC Yukon AT4
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Bb073084 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:45 pm Subaru ascent is very nice and handles well in the snow
+1 and the Touring top of the line model I believe has all the required options mentioned in the OP.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

It's hard to beat a Suburban or Yukon Xl for sheer volume. I never had to worry about having enough room when packing for a family trip. Other vehicles might have 7 seats but a Sub will carry the gear too. We looked at a loaded Highlander when we were getting rid of our XL. It was nice but it wasn't even close when it comes to storage and towing capacity. The Expediton, Yukon XL and Suburban are large vehicles. Everything else is coming up short.
Woops

Post by Woops »

We just bought the Hyundai Palisade AWD Calligraphy trim (sister to the Kia Telluride) about 2 months ago and just took our first rode trip from OK to MI. We put about 3000 miles on it during the trip. Our longest single driving stretch was 12 hours with some pretty torrential rain around the Chicago area and elevation changes through Missouri.

The ride throughout the trip was quiet with very little wind or road noise. Road quality is not the best in the MI area and the palisade handles rough roads well. Seats are very comfortable for long stretches. We averaged 26.2 mpg on flat highway stretches. We averaged about 23.8 mpg when we had elevation changes and higher speeds (78-80). In mostly city driving in the suburbs of Detroit we were right around 22 mpg. All of the safety features (lane keeping assist, Highway Driving Assist, etc. worked great). The turn signal camera view was very useful in heavy highway traffic.

This is one of the best vehicles we have ever owned and is fully loaded with petty much everything you listed. We used factory navigation as well as WAZE and Google Maps and all worked very effectively. Heads up display is something I have really grown to like while traveling, and seeing the navigation directions(when using factory navigation) on the windshield was nice.

The only minor annoyances we noticed were:

1. In MI the humidity was so high due to all the rain that the front window defogger struggled to clear condensation at the bottom of the windshield unless we really turned the temperature up. So I had to manually hit the wipers multiple times while driving. We only experienced this in the detroit/chicago area. No issues day to day in OK.

2. We have the top of the line stereo system. When searching for radio stations throughout the trip, we both remarked that we seemed to get more static on locked in FM stations than we expected. It has been a long time since we took a road trip, so this may just be our imagination.

All in all, we highly recommend the Palisade and it punches way above its weight class based on features for the price.

Forgot to mention that the the third row has both headroom and leg room clearance for large adults to actually sit back there comfortably. When we did our research, we eliminated several 3rd row SUV possibilities once we sat in the third row and felt headroom or legroom were compromised.

Palisade/Telluride and Atlas faired well. The brand new 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer is another possibility near the top end of your price range.
Last edited by Woops on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delamer

Post by delamer »

I have test driven the Volvo XC60 and the Lincoln Nautilus.

Based on those experiences, I would take a serious look at the XC90 and the Aviator if I was looking for a 3-row SUV.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Wannaretireearly

Woops wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:30 am We just bought the Hyundai Palisade AWD Calligraphy trim (sister to the Kia Telluride) about 2 months ago and just took our first rode trip from OK to MI. We put about 3000 miles on it during the trip. Our longest single driving stretch was 12 hours with some pretty torrential rain around the Chicago area and elevation changes through Missouri.

The ride throughout the trip was quiet with very little wind or road noise. Road quality is not the best in the MI area and the palisade handles rough roads well. Seats are very comfortable for long stretches. We averaged 26.2 mpg on flat highway stretches. We averaged about 23.8 mpg when we had elevation changes and higher speeds (78-80). In mostly city driving in the suburbs of Detroit we were right around 22 mpg. All of the safety features (lane keeping assist, Highway Driving Assist, etc. worked great). The turn signal camera view was very useful in heavy highway traffic.

This is one of the best vehicles we have ever owned and is fully loaded with petty much everything you listed. We used factory navigation as well as WAZE and Google Maps and all worked very effectively. Heads up display is something I have really grown to like while traveling, and seeing the navigation directions(when using factory navigation) on the windshield was nice.

The only minor annoyances we noticed were:

1. In MI the humidity was so high due to all the rain that the front window defogger struggled to clear condensation at the bottom of the windshield unless we really turned the temperature up. So I had to manually hit the wipers multiple times while driving. We only experienced this in the detroit/chicago area. No issues day to day in OK.

2. We have the top of the line stereo system. When searching for radio stations throughout the trip, we both remarked that we seemed to get more static on locked in FM stations than we expected. It has been a long time since we took a road trip, so this may just be our imagination.

All in all, we highly recommend the Palisade and it punches way above its weight class based on features for the price.

Forgot to mention that the the third row has both headroom and leg room clearance for large adults to actually sit back there comfortably. When we did our research, we eliminated several 3rd row SUV possibilities once we sat in the third row and felt headroom or legroom were compromised.

Palisade/Telluride and Atlas faired well. The brand new 2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer is another possibility near the top end of your price range.
Great review, Woops! I have a Palisade SEL AWD. So mid range model with a few bells and whistles missing, but almost all the safety features (missing turn signal camera and heads up display). We love it as do you. Super value for just $42K out of the door.

I would add, with captain seats, it really only seats 6. Space for overnight bags with the 3rd row up, not much else.

In its mid size category I think it's one the best.

If OP needs to seat 7 with good luggage space, that's large SUV category. Yukon, Lincoln Navigator etc. Following this thread closely ;) especially as there seem to be new vehicles popping up all the time.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Need to decide if you are towing or not. I wouldn't tow a 19 foot trailer with most of those choices. Sounds like that's 5 to 7 years down the road, so perhaps that's not really an issue for the current purchase.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

We have a Subaru ascent (7 seater, middle row captain seats). I dont love it, but there are a few reasons we chose it. It has a higher tow capacity than many midsize 7 seater SUVs (i.e. not suburban, Tahoe, etc.), and the 3rd row is more useable than the 3rd row of the Toyota highlander. We have had 4 adults and 2 carseats in the car without a problem (not for long roadtrips, which would confine luggage space). We've also had two kids, plus a carseat in the 3rd row without an issue. I'm not sure that a suburban, Tahoe or other large SUVs would fit in my garage, so it may be something you want to check at your home.

Safety features, back up camera, etc. work nicely. As does the 4wd... we have pretty rough roads around here and our old Volvo wagon would not have made it up some of those mountains. Also does really well in the snow. But, I've also since learned a 5k tow capacity isn't all that much, even if you plan to tow a smaller (under 5k) trailer... suvs may struggle.

I was not impressed with the honda pilot in terms of comfort. That said, after having the ascent for a little over a year, I find the seats are not as comfortable as I'd like. We had a much older Volvo prior to this car and it spoiled me. The seats are so much more comfortable (we did many cross country drives, including 15+ hours in the car). We couldn't justify the cost of the xc90 though, but you may be able to.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

Sounds like pretty much every 7 seater has been recommended to you. lol

We have a 2021 Telluride SX Prestige (so fully loaded minus tow package and Nightfall edition). For us its the perfect size and so far a great vehicle. We found the Highlander too small and Tahoe way too big. Feel free to PM me if you want more info or have specific questions.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

See below
Last edited by dsmclone on Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

KIA Telluride SX-P owner

In my 35 years of driving I've probably owned 20 different cars. I usually prefer Japanese cars with a strong preference to Honda/Acura. I usually like to buy 2-3 year old luxury cars coming off lease via CPO. My last car was a BMW m235 and the one before that was an Infiniti M56.

This is my first SUV. My wife drives a 2018 VW Tiguan so I wanted something bigger. It would feel weird to me to buy the same size.

I drove the CX-9, Pilot, Passport(just looked), MDX(not the 2022 redesign), RDX, MB GLB, Volvo XC60, Palisade, etc.

I then went to my local Kia dealer who had an SX with a $10k markup over sticker. I knew I wouldn't buy from this dealer but may as well use his vehicle as a tester. He actually didn't let me test this one and got me an an EX. In summary, it was better than all the other vehicles listed and honestly it wasn't really that close.

I then started doing some research on the Telluride forums and found a dealer 3 hours away that was just charging MSRP, emailed him, gave him a $500 deposit, waited 3 months, and went and picked up my Telluride 3 months ago. These dealers exist if you're willing to wait and drive. I'd guess at least 1/2 the dealers are charging at least a $5k premium and this has zero to do with the chip shortage. The Telluride has been in strong demand since it came out two years ago. These are made in Georgia and covid put them back a little but they are selling everyone they produce.

If you can get past the looks, the Palisade is as good as the Telluride. Some things are better and some things are worse. The only thing I liked better was the Hyundai had the all digital dash. I just couldn't get past the looks

It's now been a few months and we've been on two pretty long road trips with it. I have about 6k miles and I really am struggling finding a complaint. I wish it had Wireless Android Auto but I've found an adapter that works ok. It's quiet, it performs better than I thought, rides nice, and lots of room. I really like that it has a V6 over a turbo 4. I don't mind turbocharged engines but I want them to be V6 or larger turbo engines. My wifes VW has a turbo 4 and it's loud and gutless when you try to accelerate. I had never owned a Korean product so I was a little worried but having owned this many cars, I can tell you that this Kia is build solid. Really the only thing people complain about is the fools who pay over sticker and the windshields which are prone to break from rocks.

If I hadn't bought the Kia I probably would have waited for the MDX and paid about $10k more for an SUV that may be just a little bit better but probably less reliable.

If you need any more info, let me know

One thing to add. If I had an unlimited amount of money and really needed to haul a bunch of people, I'd look at the Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon, etc.
DownToThis

Post by DownToThis »

dsmclone wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:49 pm KIA Telluride SX-P owner

In my 35 years of driving I've probably owned 20 different cars. I usually prefer Japanese cars with a strong preference to Honda/Acura. I usually like to buy 2-3 year old luxury cars coming off lease via CPO. My last car was a BMW m235 and the one before that was an Infiniti M56.

This is my first SUV. My wife drives a 2018 VW Tiguan so I wanted something bigger. It would feel weird to me to buy the same size.

I drove the CX-9, Pilot, Passport(just looked), MDX(not the 2022 redesign), RDX, MB GLB, Volvo XC60, Palisade, etc.

I then went to my local Kia dealer who had an SX with a $10k markup over sticker. I knew I wouldn't buy from this dealer but may as well use his vehicle as a tester. He actually didn't let me test this one and got me an an EX. In summary, it was better than all the other vehicles listed and honestly it wasn't really that close.

I then started doing some research on the Telluride forums and found a dealer 3 hours away that was just charging MSRP, emailed him, gave him a $500 deposit, waited 3 months, and went and picked up my Telluride 3 months ago. These dealers exist if you're willing to wait and drive. I'd guess at least 1/2 the dealers are charging at least a $5k premium and this has zero to do with the chip shortage. The Telluride has been in strong demand since it came out two years ago. These are made in Georgia and covid put them back a little but they are selling everyone they produce.

If you can get past the looks, the Palisade is as good as the Telluride. Some things are better and some things are worse. The only thing I liked better was the Hyundai had the all digital dash. I just couldn't get past the looks

It's now been a few months and we've been on two pretty long road trips with it. I have about 6k miles and I really am struggling finding a complaint. I wish it had Wireless Android Auto but I've found an adapter that works ok. It's quiet, it performs better than I thought, rides nice, and lots of room. I really like that it has a V6 over a turbo 4. I don't mind turbocharged engines but I want them to be V6 or larger turbo engines. My wifes VW has a turbo 4 and it's loud and gutless when you try to accelerate. I had never owned a Korean product so I was a little worried but having owned this many cars, I can tell you that this Kia is build solid. Really the only thing people complain about is the fools who pay over sticker and the windshields which are prone to break from rocks.

If I hadn't bought the Kia I probably would have waited for the MDX and paid about $10k more for an SUV that may be just a little bit better but probably less reliable.

One thing to add. If I had an unlimited amount of money and really needed to haul a bunch of people, I'd look at the Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon, etc.
I have the wolf gray sxp nightfall with tow also and agree completely with what you posted. Great vehicle all around. Came from a Toyota highlander (that was completely reliable, I just wanted something different). I also had to join the telluride forum and find a dealer a few hours away (and wait about a month) in order not to pay $5-10k over MSRP in my area (DMV).

I will say my friends have the Palisade and I drove their car and it was equally as nice. I figured I'd try for the Telluride (I liked the looks of it) and if nothing panned out I was going to get the Palisade. Although I think if you have a $100k budget I'm not sure if you'll be fulfilled with either the Kia or Hyundai.
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

I'd seriously consider looking at a Lincoln Navigator L Reserve with every option except the second row media center. We test drove just about everything we could find, and the Lincoln fit the bill in all of our categories... Which happen to be almost identical to yours. 7 seats, and with the exception of the middle seat in the 3rd row, 6 people can comfortably drive all day. The 30 way seats are a game changer for long-distance ccomfort.

Active noise cancellation makes driving at 80 just as noisy as 30. We get around 23-25 mpg even after 60k+ miles and have had zero major issues.

We purchased one that was a year old and just off lease with 15,000 miles. Saved around $20,000 over sticker (which was right at $95k).
flarf

Post by flarf »

I was close to buying an X7 when my brother convinced me to at least test drive a Telluride. It came in at half the price and it's 85-90% as good a vehicle. I've had it for 14 months now, put 23k miles on it, and haven't had any issues. It tows well, AWD works great (made weekly trips in the winter to a house up an unpaved mountain road), handles fine. I'd definitely spring for the SX-P model to get all the creature comforts (heads-up display, etc.) but that's just me.

The Telluride/Palisade just make the ~100k SUVs look like such horrible values... made so much more sense to deploy the savings elsewhere. The depreciation curves on all these things are horrible.

I paid $3k over MSRP because I didn't have the luxury of waiting to order. That took about a day of calling around and playing dealers off each other, most were at $5-10k over sticker (and again, this was 14 months ago -- sounds like not much has changed).
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ram wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:43 pm My wife wants to discard her minivan and buy a "nice" SUV. We live in an area with 5 months of snow. The new SUV will have winter tires.
In case you weren't aware, some minivans have AWD and can handle quite well in snowy areas. I drive one in such a place. They also meet all of your other requirements with the exception of the back seats being small and uncomfortable. The backseat of our van has plenty of room and is quite comfortable.
Wannaretireearly

dsmclone wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:49 pm KIA Telluride SX-P owner

Nice! I gave my family the 'choice' between the Telluride and Palisade. They chose Palisade cos of the looks and interior. I'd have been happy with either.
And yes, I've already has the rock/windshield issue. That's been my only minor issue so far !
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Chevy Tahoe is basically the quintessential large SUV. Give it a try - upper trim level, 4wd. It has (and had for some time now) all the features you're looking for.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Land Cruiser if you want to keep it for 250-300K miles...or a Seqouia, both old, drink a lot of gas and can be used to pull the rest of the above out when they get stuck. Cost per mile will be the best most likely but a big upfront cost. Reliable, safe, and proven. Not many cute gismos or gadgets. Love mine...but then thats just me...old school, solid, bulletproof.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Thank you everybody. The case for Telluride just became stronger.

Just to clarify the vehicle will mostly be used by my wife and I ( >90% of miles), sometimes with 4 people and gear and very rarely by 7 people without any gear. As such I do not need a SUV that can carry 7 adults comfortable with all their gear. Also the towing will be needed many years down the road, so not a major consideration in the decision making at this time.
Ram
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

NYC_Guy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:52 pm I had an Acura MDX for 13 years. One of the best cars I’ve owned. Honda makes things that last.
+100
My sentiments exactly.
I also prefer the older MDXs for their roominess.
EnerJi

Post by EnerJi »

We have a 2017 Audi Q7 Prestige and it's terrific. Checks all your boxes and then some. There's a good chance that we'll upgrade to a newer Q7 within a couple of years. I highly recommend the 4-wheel steering option, as it makes the Q7 feel much smaller and much more manoeuvrable.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

ram wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:43 pm 7 ? Buick Enclave: ?budget choice
The Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Chevy Traverse are all basically the same car (with some mostly cosmetic differences).

About 10 years ago when we were looking, the GMC Acadia ended up being our choice. It's been very reliable, with several road trips over the years.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Never driven a Telluride or Palisade, but really like their looks.

We do have a Suburban, prior to that a Tahoe, you really can’t go wrong with either. The highest trim levels offer a lot of luxury and can be had for well under $100k.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

Ford Explorer checks all the boxes, and that is what I drive. You can even get a hybrid.
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

London wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 am I’m not sure how the answer isn’t Lincoln Navigator. Many of the other SUVs in this chain are too small to meet your needs. I’d argue you can get the Ford Expedition for less money but I’m trying to hone in on “luxury”.

I agree, my friend owns a Lincoln Navigator, it has all the room to meet your needs along with a luxurious interior. The third row seats are actually usable unlike the others you are looking at.