Antivirus software for the whole family

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Antivirus software for the whole family

Post by Tenesmus83 »

wife and several kids. We all have our own computers and I'm looking for an antivirus software that is affordable,
competent, and covers everyone in the whole family without pay exorbitant prices.
like2read

Re: Antivirus software for the whole family

Post by like2read »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:02 pm wife and several kids. We all have our own computers and I'm looking for an antivirus software that is affordable,
competent, and covers everyone in the whole family without pay exorbitant prices.
Are you running Windows 10? Years ago, I would not have recommended using MS Defender, which comes bundled with Windows (free), but it has come a long way according to many reviewers and comparers out there. I switched about a year ago and recommend.

l2r

Post by 123 »

If you have any Windows computers you can just use the built-in Windows Defender for free. Works great.

Some of the anti-virus products are developed and supported from overseas and have some chance of compromising your system.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 »

yes, I have windows 10 and windows defender. Years ago, I recall it was pretty useless and I was routinely downloading malware
and adware while surfing the net.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

If you're downloading crap like that, visit other sites...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

I use Norton with LifeLock. Comes with 5 licenses for family and vpn. Pretty happy with it.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

Obviously just my opinion, but...

I periodically have to help my parents with their laptops. Maybe 80% of the time it has to do with this adware called Norton that they pay for serving them ads and causing issues. They refuse to stop paying for it or get rid of it.

I just use Windows Security because... that's all you actually need. It's not 2005.
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

Here's an article if you'd like more words explaining:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/best-antivirus/
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

sam1838 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:07 pm Obviously just my opinion, but...

I periodically have to help my parents with their laptops. Maybe 80% of the time it has to do with this adware called Norton that they pay for serving them ads and causing issues. They refuse to stop paying for it or get rid of it.

I just use Windows Security because... that's all you actually need. It's not 2005.
Once you stop providing PC support to your parents, life is more relaxing...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I have Norton, but I don't think I will renew the subscription. Windows security is supposed to be pretty good nowadays, as others have said*. Moreover, lately, Norton has been giving me advertising popups once a while, which are incredibly annoying, since its purpose is to prevent intrusive adware etc.

RIP John McAfee by the way...

*Of course, if more people rely on Windows Defender, there's probably a higher risk that some hacker will find a way to breach it.
chazas

Post by chazas »

I use Webroot. Free if you have any open Ally accounts.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

The default Windows 10 Defender works very well nowadays.

Times have changed a lot. You don't need a third party anti-virus anymore.
If you do need one, then anti-malware software like Malwarebytes is more than enough.
You can just run the free scan once every few months if you are paranoid.

Honestly, Windows 10 Defender since the past 2 years have become a phenomenal product (it was really worthless in the past but things have changed).
I would assume change in leadership (Nadella) at Microsoft who has been prioritizing on future developers played a huge role on this.

Other than that, just have an adblocker on your browser like UBlock Origin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... phjbkeiagm

And use common sense. Don't download random stuffs for the sake of pirating if possible (look at the file format. mp3/mp4/etc are fine but be wary of .exe files).

It's really difficult to get viruses today for the average user in the US.
You really have to go above and beyond as local firms making these viruses can no longer really compete with the sheer capital of these trillion+ dollar market cap companies.
(as I have noted on an another post)

TL;DR: Don't need one today. Default Windows 10 Defender + Adblocker is good enough.
I actually worry for the future of many of these anti-virus firms as they are becoming unnecessary (since Microsoft is doing everything inhouse so well).
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I changed from Norton to Defender when I went from Windows 7 to 10. I have no regrets.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
shess

Post by shess »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:12 pm

I had to go evict some "free" antivirus off my kids' computers because it was turning them into doorstops. Fortunately my parents use an iMac and a Chromebook...
squirm

Post by squirm »

Windows Defender is very good. If you want to a little extra web security, increase UAC.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I’ve used Avast free.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 pm If you're downloading crap like that, visit other sites...
This. Defender is fine for most users. In my opinion, computing security/safety is more about computing hygiene and behavior than pure technology.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Yes, Windows Security (its latest name) is good, and free.

For an added layer of protection, the free version of Malwarebytes is also good. It requires human intervention to run. The paid version of Malwarebytes runs automatically.
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:12 pm

This. For one, she thinks she knows all. For the other, keep the upgrades going and LastPass working (vs the 5 page Microsoft Word file).
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

We've been using Sophos' Hit Man Pro - runs $35 a year per computer.
No issues - the pro encrypts as you type stuff (so it says) and sits over the windows programs as well. I tend to run it to clean out cookies 1x per week.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

fwellimort wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:56 pm The default Windows 10 Defender works very well nowadays.
+1

Haven't used another AV for many, many years.
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

If the default Windows 10 Defender is not enough...

Some cable companies offer free anti virus. No limitation on the number of computers I guess.
Comcast used to offer free Norton, but they discontinued. Cox, CenturyLink are still offering free McAfee.
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

As others have noted Windows Defender (WD) is pretty good.

In March/April AV-Test found WD caught 100% of 0-day malware attacks (278 samples used), inclusive of web and e-mail threats (Real-World Testing) and 100 % detection of widespread and prevalent malware discovered in the last 4 weeks (the AV-TEST reference set 16,990 samples)
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/ho ... 18-211216/

Scrolling down the page, one can checkout other anti-virus products.

WD has definitely improved over time as the chart on this page illustrates: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/ho ... microsoft/
Trade the news and you will lose.
Bogle7

Vaccines work

Post by Bogle7 »

Switch to MacOS.
Snarky, I know.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

wondering if folks using 'free' antivirus software are also (??) using 'free' tax software and not paying for Turbo Tax or H&R Block.

if not, why not? :happy
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

F150HD wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:03 pm wondering if folks using 'free' antivirus software are also (??) using 'free' tax software and not paying for Turbo Tax or H&R Block.

Different products. Apples. Oranges.

I must not understand the point of the question.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:18 pm
F150HD wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:03 pm wondering if folks using 'free' antivirus software are also (??) using 'free' tax software and not paying for Turbo Tax or H&R Block.

I think he's inferring the free stuff isn't as good as the stuff you pay for.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:23 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:18 pm

I think he's inferring the free stuff isn't as good as the stuff you pay for.
For AV, I'm not sure that's true anymore... As others have noted, the built in Microsoft AV is very good - usually rated higher than "paid" options. (At least for the last several years.)
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

chazas wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:39 pm I use Webroot. Free if you have any open Ally accounts.
+1 for webroot.

I didn't know that you could get it free with the Ally accounts.

Thanks for the info.
LilyFleur

Re: Vaccines work

Post by LilyFleur »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:28 pm Switch to MacOS.
Snarky, I know.
That's what I thought. My employer asked me to install ESET on my 9-year-old Mac, since it is on the same network as my work laptop, and ESET found problems on my Mac.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Malware detection which does not rely on virus signatures:

https://shop.cylance.com/us
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Windows Defender is fine. The other key defense layer is an ad blocker.