Costa Rica this winter - suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ert510

Costa Rica this winter - suggestions?

Post by ert510 »

I'm thinking about taking my family to Costa Rica in December over Christmas for 11 days. We'd fly into San Jose and want to sightsee, hike, spend a couple of days at the beach and visit some smaller towns to escape the tourist traps. I'm not opposed to going on a couple of guided day trips and would like to stay at 2-3 locations to use as a homebase, perhaps a variety of city, mountains and beach. We are traveling with three kids (ages 4,12 and 15). Do you have any recommendations on an itinerary or places to check out? Should we rent a car for the entire time?
Thanks in advance!
gatorking

Re: Costa Rica this winter - suggestions?

Post by gatorking »

Look at some of the itineraries here to help you make your own trip: https://www.gate1travel.com/latin-america/costa-rica/
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Be very careful about planning to drive everywhere in Costa Rica. The roads aren't all that good and are very bad in some areas.

We went to a fabulous resort called Bosque del Cabo. We flew from San Jose to Puerto Jiminez and then got driven to the resort. We had to ford 2 creeks in the car and rarely went over about 20 MPH. I was very glad not to be driving!

We did rent a car in San Jose and drove up to the Monteverde Cloud Forest (among other places). Once off the Panamerican Highway, which is crowded with trucks, the road to Monteverde was dirt. We were on it for several hours rarely above 30 MPH.

My suggestion would be to try and find a travel agent who specializes in Costa Rica who can book places to stay and other travel to get useful information about where it makes sense to drive and where other transport might be a better bet.

For what it is worth, we found lodgings with private areas (beaches, forest, etc.) to be much more enjoyable then dealing with the public areas. For example, we rented a fabulous condo near Manual Antonio with a private beach that we enjoyed much more than mingling with the crowds at the National Park.

We took a fabulous rafting trip down the Pacuare River with an (optional) overnight stay halfway down. Not sure it would be advisable for a 4 year old, but we really like it.

My wife and I greatly enjoyed Costa Rica. The monkeys and other wildlife, the forests, and the people are really fabulous.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Dogbreath650

Post by Dogbreath650 »

We used these folks a few years ago and were very satisfied. They only work within Costa Rica and are very knowledgeable and helpful https://www.crreferrals.com/
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I love Costa Rica! Have been there three times.

We used Adventure Life last time. They had everything arranged and a driver and guide took us around. Driving (as noted above) isn't for the faint of heart.

There are neat things to see in San Jose, La Fortuna, Arenal and Irazu volcanoes, Corcavado, and Manuel Antonio Park. And you definitely have to see Monteverde! We stayed at Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and I would definitely go there again... very beautiful.

But yes... unless everyone is older or adventurous, would consider getting a driver and/or a guide. It just makes it easier and you don't spend time sorting out the logistics. We were there with 4 kids 8-15!
Indexed Fully!
rrt

Post by rrt »

Message me if you want and I will give you some ideas/details. Been here most of the last two years and no matter what will be spend a lot of the three-five years here.

Will say first time here we used drivers instead of driving ourselves and it was a great decision.
AngelFIRE

Post by AngelFIRE »

A number of years back DH and I had a wonderful trip to CR. I used Tripmasters - google them- and was really impressed with their local partners. It is also a good idea to use TM to compare costs if you want to book independently. (More flexibility) I echo what has already been stated driving can be hazardous if you are not used to the conditions. The most convenient way to get around is to fly. Dont know who is still in business but I was impressed with Nature Air. I do advise you look for advice on Tripadvisor. Thanks to a post there I decided to include a stay at an eco lodge in the Osa Peninsula. It was the highlight of our trip. I also found on Tripadvisor a fabulous night tour that showed off all the noctournal creepy crawlies lead by a local biologist. It was fascinating.
Good luck and safe travels.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

rrt wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 pm Message me if you want and I will give you some ideas/details. Been here most of the last two years and no matter what will be spend a lot of the three-five years here.

Will say first time here we used drivers instead of driving ourselves and it was a great decision.
May I send you a message as well? Costa Rica is on my short list for a possible vacation home. DH and I are actually planning to go several times over the next year or so to get a feel for different areas.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

I agree that Costa Rica is great place to vacation.

If you are renting a car, although it is uncommon, be aware:
“Visitors who plan to drive in Costa Rica should be aware that the Costa Rican government may prevent any driver involved in a vehicular accident from departing Costa Rica until all injury claims have been settled. This is true regardless of whether or not the driver is at fault or covered by insurance. The courts often delay imposing a settlement until all injured parties have fully recovered and the definitive costs are known. Travelers may be prevented from leaving the county for months, or even years, until a local judicial resolution is reached. Visitors should carefully consider the hardships such an extended stay in Costa Rica could impose on themselves and their families before deciding to drive in Costa Rica” https://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/hea ... xpatriate/

From the Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements tab at the U.S. State Departent Travel site https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... aRica.html "Indebtedness: If you owe money in Costa Rica, authorities may prevent you from leaving. This includes unsettled injury claims from vehicular accidents and unpaid medical bills."
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

ert510 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:38 pm I'm thinking about taking my family to Costa Rica in December over Christmas for 11 days. We'd fly into San Jose and want to sightsee, hike, spend a couple of days at the beach and visit some smaller towns to escape the tourist traps. I'm not opposed to going on a couple of guided day trips and would like to stay at 2-3 locations to use as a homebase, perhaps a variety of city, mountains and beach. We are traveling with three kids (ages 4,12 and 15). Do you have any recommendations on an itinerary or places to check out? Should we rent a car for the entire time?
Thanks in advance!
Jaco beach
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Raybo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm Be very careful about planning to drive everywhere in Costa Rica. The roads aren't all that good and are very bad in some areas.
I drove in many places in Central America, including all around Costa Rica. I did not find anything out of ordinary in Costa Rica. The roads are mostly good and in winter is dry, so no big issues. I found a lot worse conditions in Kauai after several days of rain, including fording rivers and very deep mud.
I would strongly recommend a 4x4. I generally thought it is not necessary until I got stuck in a jungle somewhere in Belize in a FWD Jeep Cherokee (it was not a real issue, we made it out but it took a while).
Monteverde road although unpaved is (was?) really well maintained, one can easily drive 50mph on it on the unpaved part.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

Planning to do 2023 February to Costa Rica with 2 kids [6 and 9 yrs]. Planning to go for 1 week. Arriving from NYC. Any suggestions for people who like nature and some beaches (only for kids). (Planning to rent a SUV).
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

FYI, not sure how common this is, but be aware if you are driving a rental vehicle & are in an accident that injures someone:
- https://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/hea ... xpatriate/
- "If there is an ongoing investigation of a vehicular accident resulting in death or injuries, you may not be allowed to leave the country for several months." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... aRica.html
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

keith6014 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:02 am Planning to do 2023 February to Costa Rica with 2 kids [6 and 9 yrs]. Planning to go for 1 week. Arriving from NYC. Any suggestions for people who like nature and some beaches (only for kids). (Planning to rent a SUV).
I enjoyed the Manuel Antonio/Quepos area. Manuel Antonio is a national park with lots of fauna and flora. We were a group so we opted for a villa rental over a hotel. Accordingly, the villa concierge took care of everything for us including transportation so we didn't bother to rent a vehicle.
JDave

Post by JDave »

Bring an antibiotic for traveler's diarrhea. And don't drink the water. Some Cipro saved my vacation a while back after I got diarrhea from street vendor ice cream.
TheGiantess

Post by TheGiantess »

A good friend of mine moved to CR 5 years ago. She took her 82 year old mother out of an assisted living facility that she didn't like and moved and loves it. Her mom loves it too. A group of friends and I visited her in Feb 2019 and we flew into Liberia. It is a very small airport and in a great area. We rented a car and the roads seemed fine mostly but we were a group of six so my friend drove some in her car and we followed in the rental. We did get all of the insurance in case the car was damaged. I would recommend the area around Liberia and the Guanacaste Province.
TG
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

arthurdawg wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 pm I love Costa Rica! Have been there three times.

We used Adventure Life last time. They had everything arranged and a driver and guide took us around. Driving (as noted above) isn't for the faint of heart.

There are neat things to see in San Jose, La Fortuna, Arenal and Irazu volcanoes, Corcavado, and Manuel Antonio Park. And you definitely have to see Monteverde! We stayed at Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and I would definitely go there again... very beautiful.

But yes... unless everyone is older or adventurous, would consider getting a driver and/or a guide. It just makes it easier and you don't spend time sorting out the logistics. We were there with 4 kids 8-15!
When you said to get a driver (and/or a guide), did you mean to drive you from A to B, if you want to stay at B for 3 days, will the driver wait at B with you before drive to C?

If the driver does not stay in B, then he/she has to drive from A to B again when you want to move from B to C.

Would it be easier to use Uber in such cases (in general)? Because the driver would be local.
koryg75

Post by koryg75 »

SRenaeP wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:56 pm
keith6014 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:02 am Planning to do 2023 February to Costa Rica with 2 kids [6 and 9 yrs]. Planning to go for 1 week. Arriving from NYC. Any suggestions for people who like nature and some beaches (only for kids). (Planning to rent a SUV).
I enjoyed the Manuel Antonio/Quepos area. Manuel Antonio is a national park with lots of fauna and flora. We were a group so we opted for a villa rental over a hotel. Accordingly, the villa concierge took care of everything for us including transportation so we didn't bother to rent a vehicle.
If you can get a nonstop to Liberia, stay on Playa Conchal, Del Coco or Hermosa. If can get a nonstop to San Jose, stay near Manuel Antonio. All are great areas for families and have many opportunities to see wildlife. In my opinion driving in these particular areas is quite easy. Arenal as a guided full day would be fun as well. I wouldn’t get too ambitious with multiple locations if my kids were that age. Our family is going this year for the fourth time. It’s wonderful!
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Consider Si Como No, a resort in Manuel Antonio. It is supposedly where Jimmy Buffett stays or stayed and is located near beaches, reasonably near the volcano which is another place to go while there. A former volcano observation facility, now a very nice motel offers a great view and is near other resorts such as those with hot water baths. Also close to the rain forest which is definitely worth a tour, etc. It does require a several hour drive from the airport to get to Si Como No, but there will be people with minivans or automobiles at the airport who will drive you there for a very reasonable fee. They will return at the time you designate to pick you up, though it is a little scary to think that they might not come. In our experience, we went to the front desk to meet the person picking us up, and an unfamiliar person was waiting. There had been no contact between us and the first driver for about five days. The unknown simply said the first driver had some car trouble and asked him to come. That type of interaction with the locals was typical. Costa Rica has a higher literacy rate at 96% than America. The people were extremely friendly and reliable. We did not fish on the ocean as we felt charters were expensive, though the area does offer an opportunity for fish that are truly big game such as Swordfish and others. It was our first or second best vacation ever, and we were accompanied by two children at the time.

Tim
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

Finished my trip. I rented a large Toyota Fortuner. I think it was unnecessary. All the roads I have been on were easily passable. I would opt for a smaller sedan next time. Some of the slopes were 'challenging' but I've seen small cars make it. I found the people to be extremely nice and friendly. The food was great. The beaches were amazing. All the national parks were a waste of time and underwhelming. Would go back again but I think I will stick with the beaches.