What was your best quality of life improvement for $1000?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
snackdog

Re: What was your best quality of life improvement for $1000?

Post by snackdog »

A new furnace!
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

LiveSimple wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:57 pm Puppy !!!
A puppy will cost waaaaaay more than $1000, trust me. Even if he/she is procured for free.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

A robot vacuum! It's so nice not to have to sweep under beds (we have hardwood floors though).
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 am
When I want to buy something, I buy it.
Not everyone can afford to do so. Many families have lots of wants with little to no discretionary money so estimating quality of life improvment before spending an extra $1000 is very prudent.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

samsoes wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 am
A puppy will cost waaaaaay more than $1000, trust me. Even if he/she is procured for free.
Haha, yes. Vet bills, food, boarding, fence for back yard...
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

Look at your activities and hobbies, and spend it on new/upgraded items to make them more enjoyable.

For example, we never started camping as a family until my wife and I were in our 40s and our oldest kids were teens. I remember using bonuses at work to get camping items to make things more comfortable (we liked being in nature but did not want to become part of nature :happy ). Things like multiple large tents for flexible sleeping arrangements, propane stove, air mattresses, etc. That made camping an enjoyable family event.

Now that we are empty nesters, we would put a $1000 gift card towards activities like golf, biking, fitness, computer/electronics stuff, home improvements, etc. For example, I recently spent close to that amount on new golf clubs and that has made an improvement in my game. I think the last single item we spent more than $1000 on was an upgraded riding mower than has made mowing our property much less of a chore.

Our preferences would be "experiences" instead of "stuff", but buying an experience can be difficult depending on the nature of the gift card.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I got a lot of enjoyment from a bread machine. I just disposed of one I had bought in 2003, so it lasted a pretty long time. Used it for many loaves of bread. Didn't cost near $1000, though.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Toric lens implants
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

carloslando wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:55 pm We have received an unexpected $1000 bonus. It is a gift card to spend on any purchase, so looking for spending ideas, else would have VTSAX'ed it away.
Wanted to spend it on something that improves our quality of life at home. Any recommendations for what you would buy (or have bought), that costs around $1000-$1200 and is something most or all members of your family enjoy?
Do you have a garden? There are lots of garden improvement projects that you can do together that will totally transform your yard, improve your quality of life, and impact your home resell value.

You can spend the money on proper garden tools (shovel, rake, wheel barrow, etc., as required), new plants, compost for the soil, a composter, mulch, etc. You could also add outdoor seating, hammock, basic lighting, etc. to compliment your new design. Even a greenhouse could work within this budget, if you are keen on growing your own veggies (healthier, cheaper). Really depends on what you have now, obviously, and what you'd like to do.

My wife and I recently transformed our garden. It has made a huge difference in our quality of life, as now we have an outdoor living room where we spend most of our day, surrounded by beautiful plants, with grapevines growing overhead to shield us from the sun. We added a dining table and chairs on the other side of the house, and we use that much more than our indoor dining table, at least from May through November. Since we did all of the garden work ourselves, it wasn't that expensive. For example, the large (over 2m!) sunflower plants that help shield us from the neighbors cost a whopping 1 Euro, as we planted them from seeds and they grew out completely within 2 months. All of the plants together cost around 500 Euro (probably about 40-50 plants in total), extensive mulching another 200 Euro, some vases for the patio, etc. The dining table and chairs were 150 Euro.

No, 1000 USD won't be enough if you go crazy, but just transforming one unused garden nook into a dining area or sitting area with beautiful, fragrant plants that attract bees and butterflies will do wonders for the soul. And it was a lot of fun to make it come together.
Asset Allocation: VT
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

When our kids were teens still at home we were in a similar fun quandary - $1000 gifted to us to spend on the family. We bought a TV, a Wii system with the rock band accessories, and a few games. We got years of fun out of it as a family and our adult daughter still has the system. (Video gaming is not my thing. But some games are really interactive and were good family fun).
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

1. New mattress.

2. When I lived in the Midwest, the snow blower was an amazing purchase.

3. Over the years, I have spent $1k on gym memberships.

All of these purchases have saved and strengthened my back.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

LASIK, but that’s not exactly one that the whole family can benefit from.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 am
sailaway wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:27 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:19 am I don't rank expenditures by quality !of life. Never heard anyone do that.
Oh, it is a very good measure of where to best put your money! I can't believe it isn't more common.
When I want to buy something, I buy it. I don't say "I have $X, what should I spend it on?". Why do you feel the need to have measures on spending money?
Same. Seems backwards to me. If I want to buy something, I buy it. If I don't have cash available, I ask myself where the money will come from and whether it is worth getting the item or obtaining the cash.

If I have extra money but nothing I am itching to buy, I invest it or save it. In the process it may or may not eventually become part of the answer to my question above.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

carloslando wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:55 pm We have received an unexpected $1000 bonus. It is a gift card to spend on any purchase, so looking for spending ideas, else would have VTSAX'ed it away.
Wanted to spend it on something that improves our quality of life at home. Any recommendations for what you would buy (or have bought), that costs around $1000-$1200 and is something most or all members of your family enjoy?
Base model 24” iMac, $1,299, setup in a common area.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Home workout equipment. For $1000, you can get a handful of dumbbells, kettlebells, a bench, pullup bar and other small accessories (jump rope, medicine balls, etc)
inittowinit

Post by inittowinit »

I bought a used sit-stand desk for the pandemic for $400.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:37 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:11 pm
Maybe where you live. Where I live there are way too many puppies that can be had for <=$100 from various rescue agencies.
A $100 puppy eventually turns into a $1000 spend. Problem solved.

Cheers
Will it stop at $1000? :oops:

Note: this response is strictly for the financial aspect. There are other reasons for getting a puppy - I don't think saving money is one though!
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Back in the 80's, an engagement ring.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Lots of good ideas already posted. These are the first couple that came to mind when I read the initial post

- home workout equipment
- decent music system (we have Sonos and love the flexibility)
- Grill/smoker or anything that invites the family to spend outside time together
- Cooking/food related - pots/pans, better kitchen equipment (this is because we love cooking together)
- IPad/tablet - so versatile for travel, long car trips, using at home, etc
- what about season passes to local attractions? Local baseball team, museum passes, amusement park, etc
MJS

Post by MJS »

Spend some on a house safety upgrade: new fire extinguishers, better smoke/monoxide/radon detectors, family fire drill, emergency meet-up plan in case of earthquake/tornado/hazardous spill, really good go-kit in each car, superb shelter in place system (plus camping gear) or even an emergency power supply. With luck, you will never be able to enjoy these purchases; but if you do ... priceless.

Having a family fire extinguisher drill is actually kind of fun. Bring home a 12-pack and extinguish your old grill!
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I'd say the cumulative effect of small maintenance and upgrade things, like getting basement light switches set up better, rewiring an old vanity, reattaching shaky banisters, etc. There were a lot of small friction points that had been good enough and workaroundable but I really enjoyed no longer having to work around them.
coldaudio

Post by coldaudio »

Half of your first payment on your new Lamborghini
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Money is fungible.
Why no spend the card on something you definitely would purchase anyway, and put the $1k as extra in your checking account or given the amount, just in an envelope somewhere until needed.

No real point in "trying to find something you want", if you don't already know it...

Why not wait until there is something where you say, "Oh, wouldn't it be nice...", and then use the money on that?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

It's not $1000 but still less than $2000:
64Audio U12T
A good earphone makes listening to music really enjoyable while outside/inside.
Definitely one of best QOL considering I have my earphone on during work hours + taking a walk + outside work hours.
There's such a notable difference between everyday earphones and the high end earphones when listening to music.
Music just sounds as it 'should be'.

I'm sure you can find some great earphone/headphones from this sort of ranking:
https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
I don't always agree with the guy but I do agree with his ranking overall.
(I don't have any experience outside U12T in the A and above range)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:51 am
Money is fungible.
Why no spend the card on something you definitely would purchase anyway, and put the $1k as extra in your checking account or given the amount, just in an envelope somewhere until needed.

No real point in "trying to find something you want", if you don't already know it...

Why not wait until there is something where you say, "Oh, wouldn't it be nice...", and then use the money on that?

RM
Exactly my thoughts. Reminds me of the recent thread where a poster was asking high income people what they spend their money on, because their income recently increased and they were looking to experience some lifestyle creep. If you have to search for something you might want, do your really want it? Part of my end-of-year bonus/gift from my employer is a pretty sizeable Amazon gift card; it always gets put into my account and spent throughout the year.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

inittowinit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 am I bought a used sit-stand desk for the pandemic for $400.
This is what I recommend, the damage I have done to my back/quads/hamstrings, from sitting in an office chair for many hours per day, are taking a very long time to undo. And I work really hard at it.
brianH

Post by brianH »

fishmonger wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:49 am Home workout equipment. For $1000, you can get a handful of dumbbells, kettlebells, a bench, pullup bar and other small accessories (jump rope, medicine balls, etc)
This is basically my response to the question.

If you have the space, I'd recommend:
Power rack ($400): https://www.titan.fitness/racks/power-r ... -RACK.html
Barbell and 300lbs ($300): https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fi ... bstwth7brb
Small adjustable dumbbell set ($100)
Bench ($150): https://www.titan.fitness/strength/benc ... 00894.html

There is much better gear than this, but this is more than adequate for a novice/intermediate. There are plenty of people that spend $$$ for top notch equipment only to use it as a clothes drying rack.
jeffG

Post by jeffG »

I just put a radio with apple CarPlay, Bluetooth and a backup camera in my 10 year old pick up. Makes a huge day to day difference! Have about $600 in it.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Swampy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:41 am Back in the 80's, an engagement ring.
That can be far more expensive than a puppy...
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

tooluser wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 pm
Bogleheadish: Buy groceries for the next 2-3 months, and invest the $1000 you didn't spend in VTSAX. Tell your kids they'll inherit it later.
If I bought groceries for 2 months then that would definitely use up the 1k
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

Whats the largest TV you have? Get yourself a 65 or 75inch one. If you already have a large one in the family room area then get one to put on the wall in your bedroom.

Option 2 get a lawn service. Ours cost about 1k a year and we never have to cut grass or rake leaves again. Totally worth it.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Stinky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:14 pm Go crazy at the local fireworks stand (presuming they’re legal in your area). $1000 will buy a huge amount of fireworks.

Shoot them all off on July 4.

Your kids (and your neighbors) will never forget this Independence Day.
The PTSD vets and dogs won't forget it either.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

my first iphone , made me over 1000$ monthly . trading , ordeing food , running side gigs , banking , email , productivity , meeting , shopping ... all sitting at my desk .
Thanks!
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

A quality mattress was easily the best $1,000 I ever spent, and I'll gladly spend well over that for the next one to replace it in a few years. There's just so much value in quality sleep and having a comfortable place to rest or nap during the day. Given how much of our lives we spend sleeping (assuming healthy sleep habits), it's really hard to beat a quality mattress. I can understand why someone would skimp on mattresses if they needed to buy 5 of them for a large family, but I'll never understand why a childless couple or individual would skimp on a mattress to save even a few hundred dollars. This is one area where it's absolutely worth it to get the one you want.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm
my first iphone , made me over 1000$ monthly . trading , ordeing food , running side gigs , banking , email , productivity , meeting , shopping ... all sitting at my desk .
Are you suggesting the OP buy a smartphone with the gift card? None of those things you listed support the statement that your Iphone "made me over 1000$ monthly..." and the chances are miniscule that the OP doesn't already have a smartphone.
PSM

Post by PSM »

Maui Jim sunglasses…4 for family of 4. Just don’t break them or lose them. Always return them to the same place (car).
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

nigel_ht wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Swampy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:41 am Back in the 80's, an engagement ring.
That can be far more expensive than a puppy...
Ha! I think you’re supposed to say...the ring was $1000. She said yes...priceless. :D

Our biggest quality of life improvement, recently, was a DIY fence for the yard (posts, wire, staples, gate) for under $1000.
We already had the puppy. Being able to toss the little bugger who needs to pee...again...in the back yard at 4:37 a.m. is priceless.
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Top shelf spawn of a US and Canadian Grand Champion Golden Retriever for $1,100.00.

I'm a German Shepherd fan but the wife likes Goldens.

10 years later and he's still a BIG SWEETIE and retrieves in the water like he was a year old.

I speak to him in German and he gets it - very well behaved. Just don't expect him to defend the household. He barks at a threat and comes to me wanting to know what I'm going to do about it. :beer
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Lawncare for the year. :) Our landlord just let us know for an additional $100/month their landscapers would also mow, weed and feed, moss and clear leaves in the fall. We already were spending almost $200 a year on stuff at home depot and another $100/month for the month I go home to have someone come mow. Really it's a no brainer for me.
luckyducky99

Post by luckyducky99 »

Another vote for Dyson cordless vacuum. Not 1k though so throw in a KitchenAid stand mixer.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

PSM wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:28 pm Maui Jim sunglasses…4 for family of 4. Just don’t break them or lose them. Always return them to the same place (car).
Excellent brand. I left mine in a rental car. :(
But one lens did have a scratch by then. Very happy with the RayBans that replaced them after a series of cheapies.
DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 »

Filson cork insoles in my shoes and boots. $17/pair.

https://www.filson.com/insole-replaceme ... -000002324

You are either in shoes or in bed. Wear comfortable shoes (these insoles do that for me) and have a nice bed.
Neus
Location: a Developing country in Asia with Low Cost of Living and Tax Treaty with USA

Post by Neus »

100% pure Cashmere stuff
SouthGAJacket

Post by SouthGAJacket »

Lots of good ideas. A few I’ve enjoyed that has enhanced life for the family:

Griddle (I got a Blackstone on sale at Home Depot - impulse buy) and we haven’t used our regular grill since - Hibachi/Egg McMuffins/Smashburgers are staples now.

A DVR with huge hard drive (we got a TiVo and love it)

Noise canceling headphones (makes airports and planes tolerable)

Foam Cannon/Pressure Washer (makes outdoor work fun)
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

Back hair removal.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JustGotScammed wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:23 pm Back hair removal.
TMI!

:twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TXJeff

Post by TXJeff »

Concept2 rowing machine
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

blueberrypi wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 am New Hoka sneakers for everyone. They're so bouncy!
+1 Hoka One One - the only brand I wear. :beer
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

iPhone 7 Plus
When it came out.
Still running great after its first battery change last year.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sf_work

Post by sf_work »

July 2019, Bought a 2-year gym membership from Costco for $279. It has brought my weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol under control.
Best purchase I made in the last decade.