Master bath remodel - tub or no tub?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tigermilk

Master bath remodel - tub or no tub?

Post by tigermilk »

We never take baths. We don't know how long we will be in this house, but it will be at leaddt 6 more years,. We have 2 full baths, the master currently with a shower and jetted tub and the other with a typical tuv/shower combo. Options on the table

1) Master shower only, guest with shower/tub combo
2) Master separate shower and tub, guess with shower only (will renovate there as well)

It is just my wife and I, and whenever we do have guests they would shower rather than take a bath. The only baths these days are for the dogs.

What would you do?
chickadee

Re: Master bath remodel - tub or no tub?

Post by chickadee »

I’d keep one tub. In your scenario I’d do guest shower / tub combo. This also checks the mark for a kid / pet bathroom for future homeowners.
Last edited by chickadee on Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

chickadee wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:12 pm I’d keep one tub.
In the master or the house? The latter will certainly be done.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

When we remodeled we took the tub out of our main floor bathroom for a big walk in shower as neither of us hardly ever took a bath. We are very happy with our decision 6ish years later. So nice not having to step into a tub to take a shower. That being said the mrs. insisted we put a tub in our basement bathroom (we remodeled it at same time) as she didn't want a house w/o a tub.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

It may be local, in my inner suburb market a large walk in shower in the master bath is "acceptable" for resale per the realtors I have talked to if there is a tub down the hall in the guest/kids bathroom. These are not estate homes (1700 square foot, 3 br/2ba).

The other consideration is cost. Replacing the jetted tub/shower area with a large walk in shower might get expensive especially if the shower is in good shape and the jetted tub works. A freshen up remodel will be a lot cheaper if you can leave existing tub and shower in place. Replacing shower means pulling a permit where I live.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

I'd skip a tub if you have one somewhere else in the house.

Jetted tubs typically take up a ton of space. Are you able to take the jetted tub + shower space and make a huge shower, then add a small free standing tub inside of the shower area?

Sounds crazy, but this allows kids or dogs to be in the bath, with no concern of water splashing or over flowing.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Based on extensive HGTV research, people with kids want a tub in the main bath.

For the master bath, the item that has the most widespread appeal would be a larger shower stall. If you're space constrained, I would prioritize the larger shower stall over anything else.

The bath situation is a more polarizing decision. The people who love them seem to really love them. For me, a heated soaking tub would be a welcome luxury. Conversely, soaking in water as it gets cold has little appeal and I would rather take a shower.

Since you plan to live in the house for awhile, I would design the master bath for your tastes and preferences not those of a future buyer.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

I think it is local. In our area you need a soaking tub but you could also get away with a spa like large shower, steam shower etc. Whatever is chosen, new owners in our neighborhood typically do some renovation at move-in.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Definitely need at least one tub... preferably in the guest bathroom. This is for future resale for families with kids.... where a tub is a must.

If you have the room I'd do both shower and separate tub in master. Large shower only is acceptable (and preferable) to many.... but others (including my wife) would not have a master bath that didn't have a tub.

I don't think it needs to be a jetted tub.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

tigermilk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:09 pm We never take baths. We don't know how long we will be in this house, but it will be at leaddt 6 more years,. We have 2 full baths, the master currently with a shower and jetted tub and the other with a typical tuv/shower combo. Options on the table

1) Master shower only, guest with shower/tub combo
2) Master separate shower and tub, guess with shower only (will renovate there as well)

It is just my wife and I, and whenever we do have guests they would shower rather than take a bath. The only baths these days are for the dogs.

What would you do?
My BIL is a builder, he says people don't want tubs. I am a tub guy myself so my answer is evident. I wouldn't put in a tub, not sure if it hurts or helps resale down the line.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
henry

Post by henry »

I would do Master bath with shower only. Guest bath with tub/shower combo.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

No tub.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Keep 1 tub. I'd put that in the guest bathroom. Do nice large shower only in master.
leeks

Post by leeks »

I am extremely disappointed in homes that do not have proper bathtubs in master bathrooms and family bathrooms. I find baths to be an essential part of life.

Apparently I am an outlier.

I think everyone should stop saying "full bathroom" if there is no tub. To me this is a 3/4 bathroom, better described as a shower room.

In the house we bought last year and are about to move to full time, the master bathroom shower room is bigger than the kids' hall bathroom. But only the hall bathroom has a tub. I find it very annoying that, for the first time in our lives that we actually have a master bathroom, I still have to go down the hall to share the bath with my kids.

But it didn't stop us from buying the house, so no reason for you to cater to my old-fashioned taste.

If there had been no tub anywhere in the house, I would not have bought it unless we intended an immediate remodel.
JVT

Post by JVT »

Like others, skip the tub in the master bath if you have one elsewhere in the house. Our next remodel project (several years down the road) is to rip our small shower and tub out and put a large shower in.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I kept the tub. Still never use it. It would be a better bathroom without the tub……

It’s one of the those dumb things you need around here to “check the boxes”, even though nobody actually wants one. Right up there with a dining room…..
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Slightly larger shower with elbow room and maybe two heads if primary users are different heights seems fine, but I'd still want it to be enclosed with a glass door and steam up to stay warm. The over the top trend of rooms with the tub inside the shower and a mechanical steam generator seem exorbitant to me unless I was a billionaire with a valet to steam up my shower ahead of time. Most of the time I would just want to jump quickly into a warm shower.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

I'd make sure that one bathroom in your house will have a walk-in shower that is large enough for handicap accessibility. Not necessarily wheelchair accessible, but large enough that someone with mobility constraints can walk in and sit down on a chair while taking a shower.

In my own case, prior to having a knee replacement, I had to spend $10k+ to have the demo and construction work to get this done in a timely manner. With more advanced planning, I'm sure I could have had this done less expensively.

We will always keep one tub in the house, under the assumption that parents with young children would want a tub.
esteen

Post by esteen »

the replies here are great :beer

Like a lot of other posters, I would do a large shower only in the master, and keep the shower/tub combo in the guest bath.
This post is for entertainment or information only, and should not be construed as professional financial advice. | | "Invest your money passively and your time actively" -Michael LeBoeuf
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

Timely questions since we're considering the same in our master. We have one of those large 3 person builder tubs (with no jets) that take up too much space. We want to make our shower much larger and remove the monster tub.

We have the same question should we switch to a smaller free standing tub which would give us more space for the shower but still provide a soak in option.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

With no kids we've only used a tub for pet baths and a sitz bath following a medical procedure that doesn't happen very often.

If any dogs are small I'd plan a stand up dog wash station as part of the remodel. Why not? Plus easier to clean out fur.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

My little house had a tub-shower combo upstairs in the not very masterful master bathroom and a shower stall in the downstairs bathroom. I only shower, and my house is not really suitable for families with small children, so when I remodeled the upstairs bathroom, I changed to a walk-in shower. In other words, no more bathtub in my house.

The walk-in shower was the only way I could enlarge the space even if only a little. But I am very happy with the result. I've heard of more and more people going tub-less. To be safer for a future sale, you could always retain the guest bath tub. You have more options than I did.

EDIT: My dream when I first moved into this house 30+ years ago was to renovate the tiny downstairs bath to have a Japanese-style ofuro, which would involve washing and rinsing outside the tub.
bampf

Post by bampf »

I never use the tub. Until I had too. I would suggest a separate tub in the master bath. You can do them relatively cheaply, you can make it look quite modern and when you need it, you really need it.
Nescio
leeks

Post by leeks »

tony_roach wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:40 pm Timely questions since we're considering the same in our master. We have one of those large 3 person builder tubs (with no jets) that take up too much space. We want to make our shower much larger and remove the monster tub.

We have the same question should we switch to a smaller free standing tub which would give us more space for the shower but still provide a soak in option.
I'm cringing at these other posts saying not to have a bathtub. I can't image any phase of life without the ability to take a bath.

A freestanding tub that fits one adult is just fine by me. No jets or contraptions necessary beyond hot/cold water and a drain. I'm not sure what your builder had in mind, but I have never had a desire to have three adults in a bathtub...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

In our Master we have a jetted tub and a walk-in shower. The tub is a great place to toss dirty clothes until they get moved to the laundry room. It could also be used for other storage. At least for us, it is not unused space or volume.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

We remodeled our master bath about a year ago. Had a small shower and a jetted tub. Opted for a larger shower and a freestanding soaking tub. Fortunately we had room for that, as it was what we both wanted. Our other bath (3/2 home) has a tub/shower combo. If we ever remodel it, I anticipate keeping the same configuration.

No tub in the master suite would be a dealbreaker for me, but if you will be there at least several years, configure the master bath to suit your desires. If you have space that will go unused after that, I would probably include a tub.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

As long you have one tub in the house somewhere, I'd do whatever you prefer for the master.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

In our area you need to have a tub somewhere in the house, but it doesn’t need to be in the master bath.

When we remodeled, we kept the same layout, which is a separate shower and tub. Our house sitter is the only one who’s ever used the tub, but it keeps her happy.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Keep a tub in the house if you believe that your home will eventually be sold to a family with children.

In the master, I would do only a shower if that is all you are currently using.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Master: big shower, a daily luxury.
2nd bathroom: tub, for kids, etc.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Agree with those who suggest a tub is a must for kids. I also agree that most adult people seem to prefer showers over a bath. If you have ample room, I would maintain a bath in both. Better have it and not need it vs need it and not have it.
morgen

Post by morgen »

Delete
Last edited by morgen on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

We are rebuilding our lake house. Just showers in guest ensuites, separate stand alone tub plus steam shower in master ensuite. I think a lot of people still like to soak in tubs.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Grammar police on:

The term "master bath" has been replaced by "main bath" for the most part. "Owner's suite" has replaced "master suite." 😀

On topic:
My vote is for a large, walk in shower and no tub in the main bathroom. One tub per house is probably fine for resale; do what makes you happy and future owners can remodel as needed. (Not sure I'd recommend this in a buyer's market though, but that's likely years away...)
Last edited by Colorado14 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

tigermilk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:09 pm The only baths these days are for the dogs.
That's enough for us. We have a minimum of one bathtub in the house somewhere. But it's not in the master (I mean not in "bathing unit alpha").
This time is the same
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Tub or no tub is similar to fireplace or wood stove :)

Usually what I've encountered is that parents of young kids need one tub to bathe the young kids. Other than that it usually isn't a big deal.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

When shopping for a new home, if there is not a nice large tub in the master bath my wife will automatically say skip it. I never use the tub, but it would be too much of a pain for us to remodel a house with a giant shower stall to put in a tub for my wife so those houses are never on our list for purchase.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

We bought our house two years ago with two baths in the house, but none in the master. If like me, you find baths relaxing, then it's a bit of a bummer not to have a nice master bath.

It wasn't a deal-killer (the house was otherwise perfect), but certainly a downer on the transaction. We are looking at a master bath remodel that will include a bath.

If you don't personally like baths, I wouldn't feel obligated to put one in just for resale.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

You need to understand your demographic for selling.

Caveat: vacation rentals for adults.
My demographic is NOT families with small children.

In the master, I removed a "sunken roman tub" and replaced it with a large shower.

In the hall bath, I removed the cast iron tub/shower and replaced it with a large shower.

There is a brand new large spa attached to the brand new pool with a beautiful view in the fully fenced and private back yard.

No complaints.

If your sell-to demographic is families with small kids, a tub will be necessary.

Caveat#2 - I do not understand the "relaxing bath" idea.
Dirty water that gets colder?

No thank you - I will go in the spa/hot tub/jacuzzi out side.

Caveat#3 - I live in the Sun Belt.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:48 am You need to understand your demographic for selling.

Caveat: vacation rentals for adults.
My demographic is NOT families with small children.

In the master, I removed a "sunken roman tub" and replaced it with a large shower.

In the hall bath, I removed the cast iron tub/shower and replaced it with a large shower.

There is a brand new large spa attached to the brand new pool with a beautiful view in the fully fenced and private back yard.

No complaints.

If your sell-to demographic is families with small kids, a tub will be necessary.

Caveat#2 - I do not understand the "relaxing bath" idea.
Dirty water that gets colder?

No thank you - I will go in the spa/hot tub/jacuzzi out side.

Caveat#3 - I live in the Sun Belt.
The immersion produces a different effect than a stream of water (better for sore muscles). The water only gets colder very slowly, especially if the tub has sufficient volume. It's also quiet, which means you can listen to music or have a conversation with your spouse while you are in.

I actually don't know why people find baths all that important for small children. My kids (2 and 4) actually like showers and sometimes choose them over the bath. I actually prefer them to take showers as there's less mess potential. Small babies can be bathed in a sink or sponge bathed.
leeks

Post by leeks »

Colorado13 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 am Grammar police on:

The term "master bath" has been replaced by "main bath" fir the most part. "Owner's suite" has replaced "master suite." 😀
To me, a "main bath" would mean the bathroom that is accessible to everyone who enters the house - guests and children, etc. Since a master bathroom is usually private, it doesn't seem "main" to me. Everyone we know looking to rent or buy a home would still call it a master bathroom even if realtors have been told to replace the term.

To me, calling it a "full bathroom" when there is *no way to take a bath* is a bigger linguistic problem. I don't think realtors should be able to do that.

So "owner's shower room" except that the people using it might be renters. But "primary bedroom's shower room" isn't likely to catch on either...
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

leeks wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 pm

The term "master bath" has been replaced by "main bath" for the most part. "Owner's suite" has replaced "master suite." 😀
To me, a "main bath" would mean the bathroom that is accessible to everyone who enters the house - guests and children, etc. Since a master bathroom is usually private, it doesn't seem "main" to me. Everyone we know looking to rent or buy a home would still call it a master bathroom even if realtors have been told to replace the term.

To me, calling it a full bathroom when there is *no way to take a bath* is a bigger linguistic problem. I don't think realtors should be able to do that.

So "owner's shower room" except that the people using it might be renters. But "primary bedroom's shower room" isn't likely to catch on either...

Maybe this is a regional difference. We've been looking at new construction homes and the word "master" isn't used by these builders or their realtors. Alternatives to master/slave terminology are not yet adopted consistently across the U.S. Apologies if this is too much of a tangent from the topic at hand. I agree that "full bath" typically suggested that a tub was included.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Continuing in the spirit of helpfulness, could you help me out further? Our lake house will have several bathrooms. One 2 piece as you walk in the front door, full ensuites with walk in showers in each of the guest rooms, a bigger bathroom with walk in shower and tub for my daughter, and finally a large bathroom for my wife and I with stand alone tub and walk in shower. What would the official names for these various bathrooms be? :sharebeer
BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato »

When we built a house in an adult community we deleted the tub and instead expanded the shower and added a linen closet in leftover space (it was a builder’s option). We’re very happy with our choice. We never took baths. And we have 2 other bathtubs in the house.
BG
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

SQRT wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Continuing in the spirit of helpfulness, could you help me out further? Our lake house will have several bathrooms. One 2 piece as you walk in the front door, full ensuites with walk in showers in each of the guest rooms, a bigger bathroom with walk in shower and tub for my daughter, and finally a large bathroom for my wife and I with stand alone tub and walk in shower. What would the official names for these various bathrooms be? :sharebeer

Such bait you dangle. That's a lake house pun, by the way. 😀

My intent isn't to get this thread locked; snarky posts may lead to that however. Apologies to the OP for being more open-minded/less offensive than others regarding slave terminology and current builder/realtor terminology. (YMMV)

It's time to move along and return to OP's questions more directly. (You seem to have eliminated that part of my previous post in the partial quote above.)