Do you use a Kindle? Are they worth trying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
roamingzebra

Re: Do you use a Kindle? Are they worth trying?

Post by roamingzebra »

I bought one of the older Kindles when it was $35. Well worth every penny for reading novels.

Some people don't want Jeff Bezos to come back from space, but he gets a pass from me on the Kindle.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Ricola wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm Kindles are on sale. They have evolved over time, lighter, more storage, more pixels, and wondering if there are any happy long-term users. I have an old NOOK color that seemed heavy and I could never get used to using it.
I have an 11-year-old Kindle Keyboard that just won't die. I use it every day. At some point, I'll get a newer model. It's never seemed heavy to me.
My wife has a fairly new Kindle Paperwhite. Excellent device.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
vveat

Post by vveat »

We've been through several KIndles - the oldest ones, a Fire, a Paperwhite. Excellent devices for reading - but every single one has died for the same reason - it stopped taking charge - some of them after fairly infrequent use. Which means also when you do a trade in for a new device, you get only $5 back. I find this rather annoying and nowadays am reading more often on the Kindle apps on my laptop or iPhone.

This said, I did buy another device today at the 40% Prime Day discount, as my daughter is going to a sleepaway camp and they will only allow an e-reader (vs. phone or iPad). Not highly hopeful it will survive the experience.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Have a kindle paperwhite, its very convenient. Yes, it's worth trying.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Elric

Post by Elric »

I have an ancient Kindle (maybe a II), no built-in light, and I love it. And it just keep going, and going, and going... Seriously, the thing has run flawlessly forever. I still buy an occasional technical reference i hardcopy, as the Kindle I own is not the best for drawings or illustrations. But otherwise, it's great. I have a cover with a built in battery light that pulls out when I need a light to read in the dark.

I also sometimes read on my Pixel phone or a tablet. The fonts size nicely and are quite legible even on the phone, and one click of a button syncs up where you left off on one device with the next one you pick up.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Read tons on a paperwhite. Love it. So much easier on the eyes to read on e-ink than phone or tablet.
brennok

Post by brennok »

Worth trying, but personally I went back to the iPad. For me the Kindle is just too slow and sluggish. I have Kindle Unlimited and browsing for my next book always ended up making me grab the iPad to do it.

It is great if all you do is use it as a reader with pushed content, but beyond that I just found it to annoying.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Great device. It is easy to make type face bigger for aging eyes. Easy on the eyes.
elle

Post by elle »

Love it. Get one.

I thought I wouldn’t because there is nothing like holding and reading a paper book but I’m converted :)
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Kindle user since the first clunky model, then paper white and now oasis. Larger size of the oasis makes it easier to read with larger font without having to do frequent page turns. Much better to read with e sink vs tablet, plus much lighter and better battery life. I hardly ever buy paper books any more. If you are a voracious reader, you might try the kindle unlimited service.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

The Prime Day deal for the Paperwhite - $80 - is a good one.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

MrBobcat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 pm I've been a Kindle user since the Kindle 2 came out IIRC around 2008. Will not ever go back. Used all the varieties up to the 1st Oasis. I want a 2nd gen Oasis, but the first gen is still going strong and is IMO fantastic. A fairly close second place would be the much cheaper paperwhite.
Ditto - got my first Kindle in 2008, and am now on my third. They last about 5-6 years for me.

I currently have a Paperwhite, with a backlight for night reading, and I LOVE IT.

My mom has a Kindle Fire, and I don't love it. It has a shiny, reflective screen, and it's heavy in comparison to the Paperwhite.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

I've been using Kindles since they first came out. I currently have the Kindle Oasis and it's fantastic. I love how easy it is to hold and turn pages with one hand and that you can change the backlight to a warm white. I read almost every day at night in the dark, before going to bed and the warm white helps alot with my eyes.

If you read a few days a week, I think the Oasis is worth the upgrade.
TominToledo

Post by TominToledo »

I liked the kindle but changed to an iPad with the kindle app because I travel a great deal (more than 180 days per year). I like the convenience of using the iPad to browse online and also be able to easily read and reply to emails with the keyboard. And it’s still pretty small and fairly light.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I used my series of kindles heavily for years, but now I use the Kindle app in my Android phone along with the Moon+ Reader instead. I only have to have the one device which includes my entire library and the smartphone display show photos, graphs, maps, etc. in enough clarity to be useful unlike e-ink. E-ink is fine for reading a novel, but not for graphics.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

I prefer physical books when I can, and rather wish the Kindle wasn't mostly tied to the Amazon ecosystem. But overall it is a fine product, and works quite well. Easy on the eyes and simple to use. Plenty of capacity too.

When travelling I am quite fond of the kindle. Saves such weight compared to the old days when I'd stuff books into my backpack. Was also nice during the pandemic when our library closed but we could still borrow e-books for the Kindle. There are a few irritations with library checkouts, like the email you get on checkin that you can't suppress, likewise the note on the Kindle that you must manually delete.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

I have an old e-ink Kindle which collects dust. I much prefer the look and feel of a paper book and choose the physical book every single time.
If the library does not have the book, I read on my iPad which can also do 100 other things.
Though I mostly read non-fiction for which the Kindle is ill suited - pictures/diagrams/photos work poorly, can't jump to random pages easily, doesn't handle PDFs or large textbooks well etc.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

We may be the only people on this thread that don’t like Kindles or their ilk. DW has one and probably only read a few books on it and decided she didn’t want to use it again. I looked at it and heard her complaints and decided it’s not for me either. We both prefer physical books. We buy books, either used or on close out and pass them on.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Another vote for the Kindle app on iPad/iPhone
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:39 pm We may be the only people on this thread that don’t like Kindles or their ilk. DW has one and probably only read a few books on it and decided she didn’t want to use it again. I looked at it and heard her complaints and decided it’s not for me either. We both prefer physical books. We buy books, either used or on close out and pass them on.
As I posted above I too much prefer physical books. But for travel a Kindle is really a good answer. It is sometimes useful for checking out books from one of the 7 online lending options our county library system has deals with, which was particularly nice during the peak of COVID when our library totally shut down.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Ricola wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm Kindles are on sale. They have evolved over time, lighter, more storage, more pixels, and wondering if there are any happy long-term users. I have an old NOOK color that seemed heavy and I could never get used to using it.
For reading fiction, the Kindle experience is superior in every way. You never lose your place, it works great in both direct sunlight and in a dark airplane cabin, it's slimmer and lighter than any paperback, and you can carry your entire library with you wherever you go.

For nonfiction, I prefer a physical book. While you do lose searchability, it's far easier to page back and forth to look up previous passages than it is to search text. Diagrams, maps, etc. are also much better in print than in an e-book.
sbruner

Post by sbruner »

+1 for Kindle Paperwhite.

You can also take books out of the library with Kindle and the Libby app: https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/

I’ve been using Libby for years.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I've got an old Kindle keyboard model that I still use, and I really like it better than a "real" book plus getting library books digitally is extremely convenient. Its battery is starting to go, so I've considered an upgrade.

I ordered one of the new high end models, and was unimpressed. The backlight was not even, the battery life was very poor, and relative to the speed of a smartphone or other modern electronic device it was really slow. IMO it is not anywhere close to being worth the almost $300 price. I looked at the paperwhites at Best Buy and had a similar impression although they are half the cost.

When the time finally comes I'll probably switch to a <$100 Fire tablet. From what I have read, the "blue light at night" issue has been really overblown.
SanAntionetta

Post by SanAntionetta »

Kindle x100000

- Best for travel - you don't have to worry about running out of books on vacation
- Otherwise you end up with way too many books in your house
- Instant gratification when you want to buy a book (helpful when you finish a book right before bed!)
- You can still borrow books from the library through Overdrive (although there can be long waits)
- You don't have to worry about your booklight running out of batteries.
- You don't have to worry about torn/worn pages, or your kid taking the bookmark out (some of my favorite novels i read over and over)
- You can change the font type to be large enough to read if needed.

:beer happy reading
SanAntionetta

Post by SanAntionetta »

tm3 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:55 am I've got an old Kindle keyboard model that I still use, and I really like it better than a "real" book plus getting library books digitally is extremely convenient. Its battery is starting to go, so I've considered an upgrade.

I ordered one of the new high end models, and was unimpressed. The backlight was not even, the battery life was very poor, and relative to the speed of a smartphone or other modern electronic device it was really slow. IMO it is not anywhere close to being worth the almost $300 price. I looked at the paperwhites at Best Buy and had a similar impression although they are half the cost.

When the time finally comes I'll probably switch to a <$100 Fire tablet. From what I have read, the "blue light at night" issue has been really overblown.
I really like my paperwhite FWIW. If you turn the wifi off the battery lasts for weeks. I would caution you the issue with the Fire Tablet (besides the battery life being terrible in my experience) is the glare if you read outside.
dbr

Post by dbr »

SanAntionetta wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 am
tm3 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:55 am I've got an old Kindle keyboard model that I still use, and I really like it better than a "real" book plus getting library books digitally is extremely convenient. Its battery is starting to go, so I've considered an upgrade.

I really like my paperwhite FWIW. If you turn the wifi off the battery lasts for weeks. I would caution you the issue with the Fire Tablet (besides the battery life being terrible in my experience) is the glare if you read outside.
Yes, people often forget that turning off wifi increases battery life with a Kindle.
joeples

Post by joeples »

I prefer the Kindle 2nd Generation (Keyboard) version. Many of this version have built-in cell service allowing downloading of books anywhere. Its one of the few versions that will actually read text from the page. I don't believe the new ones do this because they want to sell the audible version. Lastly, with the older Kindles you can download the book from the library, disconnect all ties back to the internet and keep the book indefinitely until you reconnect again.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I have owned many Paperwhite and Fire Kindles. As much as I love them, I am frustrated
when they skip pages or change font size without action/or action unknown to me. They're great for borrowing via Overdrive from your county library or buying a cheaper ebook version from Amazon. However, I still buy hardcover books when I want to support/show appreciation to authors such as Michelle McNamara, Amy Tam, Thomas Piketty...even B. Obama. The devices are inexpensive and worth trying, especially now that the news media (even with NY Times and Washington Post digital subscriptions) are no longer as entertaining as were the newsprint version of years past.

PS: I learned from Amazon techies that when the Kindle appears to be dead with no response, a steady finger on the power button for 30 seconds will usually/often bring it back to life.
dbr

Post by dbr »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:35 am I have owned many Paperwhite and Fire Kindles. As much as I love them, I am frustrated
when they skip pages or change font size without action/or action unknown to me.

Yes, you can sometimes get touch response from them by dropping a crumb on the screen, letting a finger that is holding one edge creep over the screen, by dropping it on a surface, and sometimes I think just by blowing on it (well maybe not quite). So then you have to swipe at things to undo whatever happened. I think I would prefer a Kindle that is not touch screen.

PS: I learned from Amazon techies that when the Kindle appears to be dead with no response, a steady finger on the power button for 30 seconds will usually/often bring it back to life.

Indeed. I had a couple of instances of drifting to that by inuition.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I guess I will be the odd one out to say I did not like my Kindle. On paper (no pun intended), it checks all the boxes and is great for an aspiring minimalist like myself. One device that holds all your books. But in reality, I found that reading on a Kindle was not enjoyable. I like a physical book or reading through forum posts on a computer. The kindle with its eink display and awkward navigation just didn't feel right to me. So of course I only read 2 or 3 books on the Kindle then put it down and never really used it again. I think I donated it to Goodwill a few years ago.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

If you never read a book in bed with someone trying to sleep next to you - then a Kindle might not be necessary - but if you do - Kindle is the way to go.

I've tried reading "real" books with a LED light that just makes all kinds of racket (light and sound)

Kindle Paperwhite rocks in this area - completely solves the issues of being able to read all hours of the evening w/o bothering your partner.

I absolutely love it.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

SanAntionetta wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 am

Yes, the glare factor is important if one reads outside. Also, the Kindles are waterproof, important if one reads in the pool or at the beach or whatever.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I have a 'paper white'. It's nice, if I was going to read something like a book on a device I definitely prefer the Kindle 'paper white' rather than reading on a computer monitor, phone, or other back-lit tablet.
But... something about holding a physical book in my hand, that doesn't require any charging, I don't have concerns about it getting scratched up, that I can give to a friend when I'm done... still my preferred method to read.

I'm also trying to get out of the Amazon ecosystem, I have found that the Kindle can be used without an Amazon account using an application called "Calibre" and sourcing e-books elsewhere. It's not smooth and easy to use as sticking with Amazon's method for downloading books, if you don't enjoy tinkering with tech stuff it may not be worth the effort or you might require assistance to figure out or get the books you want loaded.

The really great thing about it, is you can load a lot of books to take with you very easy in a light compact way, and it takes very little power so you can go a long time between charges.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Bagels

Post by Bagels »

namajones wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:32 pm
Prefer using the Kindle app on either iPhone or Ipad. We have a Kindle but it sits unused. I do not recommend.
Same here. I love the Kindle app and never use my kindle devices anymore.
At night, the white font on a black screen is better than a kindle in my opinion.
missing [b]madsinger[/b]’s monthly reports
JonFund

Post by JonFund »

I use a Kindle reader on my iPhone and laptop, and absolutely love it. The ease of use and functionality is excellent in my opinion. Previously I used a "Nook" reader (Barnes & Noble), and it was a joke compared to the Kindle.
Beleiber

Post by Beleiber »

No

As a rule I dislike single-purpose devices. Hence no wrist watch, the iPhone also tells time.

IPad Mini meets all our book reading requirements and so much more. I use the Apple Books App but occasionally (rarely nowadays) will use the Kindle App when the specific item is not available on Apple Books.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

No.

With my beard and pipe - holding a real book is very important. The look is lost with a kindle.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I love love love the Kindle. I am a heavy reader, and have used Kindles ever since they first came out. Right now I use a Kindle Paperwhite.

What I love about the Kindle:
- I can carry around 1000s of books on a small portable lightweight device
- Great battery life if you turn off the wifi
- Does not hurt my eyes
- Can adjust font size and brightness
- Click on a word in a book and the dictionary definition pops up
- Notes and highlights
- Devoted to reading. When I pick up my Kindle I know I am not going to be distracted by any device notifications.
- Syncs with Libby for reading library books.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

I use a Kindle Paperwhite for most of my reading.

The only downside that I know of is that there is no way to enlarge images. Sometimes you can't see the information in a plot or chart. But in the tree-book the image will be very legible.

There are free Kindle reader downloads for PCs and Ipads and maybe some other devices with large screens. I think that might be a workaround to see an image bigger but I don't recall testing that theory.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

I use my Kindle Fire to listen to audible books. I am totally addicted. I have 534 titles in my library and I go to sleep listening every night.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I think it's fair to say that I "love" my Kindle (Oasis), but, at the same time, it has a fair number of annoyances and minor irritants. They aren't big enough to change any decisions but...

Incomprehensibly, my Kindle is the only personal electronic device I own that has no provision at all for custom "wallpaper." Either you get ads, or, if you pay not to have them (which I do), you get a rotation of about twenty rather elegant pictures of old technology, which Amazon has chosen for you and which you can't change. (People have published various hacks, but I don't do hacks).

Personally, what I would most want to see when my Kindle is turned off is a static image of the page I am reading. Second most would be the ability to upload a picture of my grandkids.

Incomprehensibly, no matter what settings you choose for font style and size they are not applied uniformly over every book. Some will display in a noticeably different font size from the others. The choice of typefaces available to you varies on a book-by-book basis. It's insane and incomprehensible to me.

As is fairly well-known, your Kindle sort of continues to belong to Amazon. They have the technical ability to remove books you have bought or update books you have bought to a new version without your permission. I only know about this from news stories because they don't grossly abuse the capability, and this problem is common to the whole eBook ecosystem.

In the real world, you probably do not want to read poetry or plays on a Kindle. Again, things vary but typically any books of poetry or plays are not formatted in any intelligently readable way.

Text search is crude--no grep or even wildcards--and can be unacceptably slow for long books. This is not usually a problem with a "normal" books, e.g. 400 pages, but it crops up if you download a single-"volume" "Complete Novels of Jules Verne" or anything like that.

Finally, literally within the last few weeks, my 1½-year-old Kindle has shown something odd: it will no longer charge to a full 100%. I've tried several chargers, I've tried letting it get down to where it tells me to charge (at 10%), etc. It stops charging at 97%. I have a bad feeling about this. I thought lithium battery life was "a solved problem," my five-year-old Samsung tablet charges just as well as ever...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

I put GooglePlay on my Kindle 7 inch.

Even better, I put the Kindle app on my 10 inch tablet.
Could even use the phone then if I really wanted to.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

I bought a Kindle a couple of years ago, used it a few times, then started using the Kindle app on the iPad. I like the larger screen, the Kindle is on the small side. The iPad Kindle app also supports color, which can be handy at times.

The Kindle Paperwhite is cheap, wouldn't hurt to buy it and try it, but I'd suggest trying the iPad Kindle app first so you can return the Kindle for a refund if you don't like it.

I prefer reading text on a black background in the evening (including Bogleheads.org) so I go to the Accessibility settings and invert the colors. I'm not an Apple fan in general, but they did an outstanding job with the iPad in terms of display quality and the price is right when it's on sale.
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

I received a Kindle PaperWhite as a gift, but prefer hardback books. I usually read the good ones twice over 2-3 years to see what I missed the first time, then donate them to charity.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

sbruner wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:20 pm +1 for Kindle Paperwhite.

You can also take books out of the library with Kindle and the Libby app: https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/

I’ve been using Libby for years.
Yes, Libby rocks! I use the Libby app on my iPad. Tons of magazines on tap, all in glorious color. Due to their large formatted size magazines can be a bit awkward at times to view, but the convenience is unbeatable. The Libby app does a decent job with books too.
Que1999

Post by Que1999 »

Long-time Kindle user here.

I love it. I was using the latest model Oasis up until recently, and just bought the Paperwhite during Prime Day. Marked down from $130 to $80 + 3 months of Kindle Unlimited free. $160 value cut in half to $80.... Great deal. And quite honestly, the value I've gotten from reading on my Kindle is well beyond $160. I gave the Oasis to my wife, because I absolutely love the smaller form-factor of the Paperwhite. Reading on a Kindle can't be beat. I still buy the physical copy of certain books that I may want to keep forever (after I've already bought/read them on Kindle in most cases). For convenience and comfort, Kindle is the way to go!
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

rebellovw wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:28 am No.

With my beard and pipe - holding a real book is very important. The look is lost with a kindle.
:wink:
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

I miss my Kindle Keyboard. The screen cracked one day after years of use. :(

I thought about getting a Kindle Oasis for its page turn buttons last Prime Day, but passed on it. I keep on thinking that Amazon will release a new Kindle version with page turn buttons.
namajones

Post by namajones »

Bagels wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:49 am
At night, the white font on a black screen is better than a kindle in my opinion.
Agree. I use black mode all the time now on both iphone and ipad.
davibi02

Post by davibi02 »

joeples wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:12 am I prefer the Kindle 2nd Generation (Keyboard) version. Many of this version have built-in cell service allowing downloading of books anywhere. Its one of the few versions that will actually read text from the page. I don't believe the new ones do this because they want to sell the audible version. Lastly, with the older Kindles you can download the book from the library, disconnect all ties back to the internet and keep the book indefinitely until you reconnect again.
Only a few months left for the 3G network so unfortunately that functionality will go the way of the dodo. Last I read it will be turned off Feb 2022. :annoyed
Raraculus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:34 pm I miss my Kindle Keyboard. The screen cracked one day after years of use. :(

I thought about getting a Kindle Oasis for its page turn buttons last Prime Day, but passed on it. I keep on thinking that Amazon will release a new Kindle version with page turn buttons.
I'm with you! I still have my 3rd gen Kindle Keyboard, but it's hard to go without a frontlight. I read more in the dark these days so I prefer my Kobo for the lovely sepia-tone backlight. But I am a HUGE proponent of physical buttons on my electronics.

You folks reading on apps, tablets, phones... I don't know how you do it. It's essentially staring at a lightbulb. I read 190 books last year, about 50/50 split between hardcopy and e-ink. If I notice my pace slowing down I'll switch from one to the other to (pardon the pun) rekindle my momentum. Somehow the novelty of either format returns with gusto and I'll start tearing through books again.