Do you refill k-cups?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
splitatlantic

Do you refill k-cups?

Post by splitatlantic »

We've noticed our coffee drinking habits are changing to drinking less coffee. We currently use a Mr. Coffee and compost our coffee grounds but now thinking about a Nespresso or Keurig coffee maker (generally despise these machines) but if we can reuse the k-cups it might be worthwhile. I see Nespresso allows return and replace but I don't see a purpose in unnecessary shipping.

Am curious to how other members approach re-fillable k-cups. Does it make sense?

Note: We each consume one to two cups a day.
Mako

Re: Do you refill k-cups?

Post by Mako »

You can use something like this. I use them sometimes and they are fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Brewers ... 00LGEKOMS/
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

splitatlantic wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 am Am curious to how other members approach re-fillable k-cups. Does it make sense?

We use the refillable in our Keurig as mentioned above and they work fine. It allows for using better quality packaged bags of coffee and eliminates the plastic waste. Obviously, for coffee purists it's not an option, but for minimal use, it works.
mhc

Post by mhc »

At the office, we use to have pouches of coffee for making pots of coffee. They switched us to a a Keurig, but they left us with about 20 lbs of coffee in packets and no k-cups. I purchased a reusable k-cup from Amazon. It worked fine. I did this because we already had the ground coffee. If my work would have provided k-cups, I would not have gone through the trouble.

At home I use a generic k-cup machine. I just buy k-cups for it since I only use about 10 k-cups per week. It is not worth the hassle to use a reusable k-cup. The appeal of a k-cup machine is the ease of use for a fresh cup of coffee. A reusable k-cup ruins the appeal.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

splitatlantic wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 am We've noticed our coffee drinking habits are changing to drinking less coffee. We currently use a Mr. Coffee and compost our coffee grounds but now thinking about a Nespresso or Keurig coffee maker (generally despise these machines) but if we can reuse the k-cups it might be worthwhile. I see Nespresso allows return and replace but I don't see a purpose in unnecessary shipping.

Am curious to how other members approach re-fillable k-cups. Does it make sense?

We drink 1-2 cups per day. We have used the refillable ups for years. We like the ability to try different coffee and reduce waste. We grind our own using a burr grinder.

Recently we upgraded to a Keurig K-Supreme Plus machine from Costco. It heats the water faster, has Favorite buttons to save strength, temp and cup size. One for my wife, one for me and a third for a lower temp for hot water when using tea bags in a cup.

This machine uses a different, new model of refillable cup with more holes. We like the results.
Topic Author
splitatlantic

Post by splitatlantic »

Thanks for the reassurances.
midareff

Post by midareff »

splitatlantic wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 am We've noticed our coffee drinking habits are changing to drinking less coffee. We currently use a Mr. Coffee and compost our coffee grounds but now thinking about a Nespresso or Keurig coffee maker (generally despise these machines) but if we can reuse the k-cups it might be worthwhile. I see Nespresso allows return and replace but I don't see a purpose in unnecessary shipping.

We use refillable for various tea flavors. Wife prefers Green and I like Earl Grey and English or Irish Breakfast. In the evening it's decaf. I make a six cup drip in the morning with Gevalia or Starbucks.. generally stock up on sale, especially BOGO's.
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

splitatlantic wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:34 am Thanks for the reassurances.
I am about as frugal as it gets but I do not use the refillable k-cup. The only way it is even marginally convenient is if you buy two or three, and thus you don't have to wash them every single time.

Overall if you drink that little coffee, the cost is completely marginal. I order about 150 k-cups at a time and they last me four months. The order total is usually about $75 after coupons (the Keurig website has by far the best prices). So I spend about $225/year on coffee.

If I bought the grounds myself it would be maybe $100?

That's in a huge realm of "who cares" for me. I love the convenience. I get a small thrill out of it every single time. And I know I have low standards, but K-cups have just the right amount of coffee in them, and I personally think they taste great.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No
Way
Just Personal Preference
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The re-usable basket doesn't have the paper filter (although you can use one, but I've had minimal luck with that).

I end up with more sediment in my cup with the re-usable basket/mesh filter.

Therefore I just go with the K cups. I compost the grounds, toss the foil and recycle the cup. 1 cup a day.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 am
I end up with more sediment in my cup with the re-usable basket/mesh filter.
If you grind your own with a burr grinder, you can set the optimal coarseness - no sediment.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Yes, I've purchased ones on Amazon that are made to be filled, I also got a scooper made for them. I just buy the coffee I like and fill myself. My wife prefers the disposable pods.

I don't like the waste of the disposable pods or their absurd markup. I want to say the pods come out to like 70 cents a pod for the ones she gets, doing it my way is probably under a nickel per cup of coffee. And I like the flavors I pick, I think it makes a good cup of coffee.

I'm not going to get rich or save the planet, just think its an easy part of my routine. I keep it all in a little tupperware container to catch the stray coffee grains
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Tried the refillable but had to rinse it out to get a lot of the grounds out. So I'm rinsing grounds into the septic and wasting water. Which is worse, wasting water or tossing the K cups?

Same kind of thing rinsing out plastic and glass containers so they can be recycled, which is worse?

I went to pour over from Kourig, coffee tastes good again, who knew?
Regards | Bob
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

I bought two boxes of the refillable K-Cups. After I have a cup of coffee I empty the grounds and throw the K-Cup in the dishwasher. If I want another cup I get a fresh one. No rinsing most of the time. Sometimes grounds will get caked on the bottom and a more thorough washing is required but not very often.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
msi

Post by msi »

midareff wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:36 am

We use refillable for various tea flavors. Wife prefers Green and I like Earl Grey and English or Irish Breakfast. In the evening it's decaf. I make a six cup drip in the morning with Gevalia or Starbucks.. generally stock up on sale, especially BOGO's.
Does it come out differently than a teabag?
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

As a "wouldn't be caught dead using a Keurig" coffee snob, I think it is wonderful that people are thinking along these lines and trying to reduce plastic waste.

Thank you!
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

We use a superautomatic espresso machine that grinds the beans and makes a single cup of coffee with no waste. Expensive, but the coffee is excellent.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

Padlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm Tried the refillable but had to rinse it out to get a lot of the grounds out. So I'm rinsing grounds into the septic and wasting water. Which is worse, wasting water or tossing the K cups?
Tossing the K cups. By far. The planet is 70 percent water. We can get it back through various cycles. The K cups end up in the environment. Forever. Billions per year.
Topic Author
splitatlantic

Post by splitatlantic »

calmaniac wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 pm As a "wouldn't be caught dead using a Keurig" coffee snob, I think it is wonderful that people are thinking along these lines and trying to reduce plastic waste.

Thank you!
Exactly! I'm still trying to decide which makes sense to me. I suppose NOT buying a new machine would be the prudent, eco way.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:34 am
splitatlantic wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:34 am Thanks for the reassurances.
I am about as frugal as it gets but I do not use the refillable k-cup. The only way it is even marginally convenient is if you buy two or three, and thus you don't have to wash them every single time.

Overall if you drink that little coffee, the cost is completely marginal. I order about 150 k-cups at a time and they last me four months. The order total is usually about $75 after coupons (the Keurig website has by far the best prices). So I spend about $225/year on coffee.

If I bought the grounds myself it would be maybe $100?

That's in a huge realm of "who cares" for me. I love the convenience. I get a small thrill out of it every single time. And I know I have low standards, but K-cups have just the right amount of coffee in them, and I personally think they taste great.

Your $100 estimate per year for a cup per day using refillable cups is way high. Cost per cup us like $.05 or so.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
midareff

Post by midareff »

msi wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm
midareff wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:36 am

Does it come out differently than a teabag?
I stuff the teabag in the refillable... I can't tell the difference between that and letting the bag steep. You would have to try for yourself to be sure.
MarbleC

Post by MarbleC »

I'm in a similar boat of wanting just 1-2 cups of coffee per day usually over multiple hours.

I use a keurig with the refillable cups, but imo the game changer is buying little paper filters that go inside the reusable cups. That way you don't have to tap out the cups into the trash or dig the grounds out with your fingers, you just pull the filter out, rinse the lid of the cup off and put a new filter in. Takes about 5 seconds.

This also prevents grounds from winding up in your coffee, which is a problem with every reusable k-cup I've tried.

You could question why I don't use the plastic cups if I'm using disposable filters anyhow, but my reasoning is that paper is highly biodegradable whereas plastic is not.

The alternative for me is drip brew anyway, so I think the taste is good enough for me, but I totally understand that it's not considered the best coffee by any means.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

MarbleC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:10 am I use a keurig with the refillable cups, but imo the game changer is buying little paper filters that go inside the reusable cups. That way you don't have to tap out the cups into the trash or dig the grounds out with your fingers, you just pull the filter out, rinse the lid of the cup off and put a new filter in. Takes about 5 seconds.
I had some issues with too much pressure with the paper filter + mesh basket. Not enough coffee flow.

Do you notice any issues with flow with the paper filters?
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Padlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm Tried the refillable but had to rinse it out to get a lot of the grounds out. So I'm rinsing grounds into the septic and wasting water. Which is worse, wasting water or tossing the K cups?

Same kind of thing rinsing out plastic and glass containers so they can be recycled, which is worse?

I went to pour over from Kourig, coffee tastes good again, who knew?
I used a generic Keurig for years (the Costco k-cups).

Then I decided to try pour over and grinding my own beans. Now I understand why my mother traveled with her own personal coffee dripper.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

splitatlantic wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 amcessary shipping.

Yes, it makes sense - particularly if you each like different coffees.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
riverant

Post by riverant »

I had refillable k-cups a few years back. I found them to break easy, leave sediment, and be a pain to clean. I also was concerned about the environment impact. I would suggest looking into compostable k-cups...you just have to keep them in a vented coffee cannister.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

The wife has the Keurig with dual options - can do individual k-cups or you can do a pot of coffee using a filter and ground coffee. She does the former and I do the latter. I like how my usage negates all the k-cups I would have used from going to the landfill, and I compost both the grounds and the filter each time.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

No
I am the only coffee drinker, and I only have one cup in the morning.
MarbleC

Post by MarbleC »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 am
MarbleC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:10 am I use a keurig with the refillable cups, but imo the game changer is buying little paper filters that go inside the reusable cups. That way you don't have to tap out the cups into the trash or dig the grounds out with your fingers, you just pull the filter out, rinse the lid of the cup off and put a new filter in. Takes about 5 seconds.
I had some issues with too much pressure with the paper filter + mesh basket. Not enough coffee flow.

Do you notice any issues with flow with the paper filters?
I actually consider that a feature. I think normally keurigs make weak coffee but having that paper filter slows the flow enough to get stronger coffee.

But yess it does reduce the flow rate a bit.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

I have used the reusable cups with the keurig at work to make use of the decent ground coffee they had available. The machine wasn’t very clean and not wanting to be the one to always clean the machine, I stopped.

Have you considered a single serve pour over? No machine needed other than something for hot water. You can go with small paper filters for easy cleanup or a reusable filter and go fancy or basic. This is what I use when traveling with a mini electric kettle because my SO drinks tea.