Two weeks stay in Cancun

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
uberdoc

Two weeks stay in Cancun

Post by uberdoc »

Hi,
My parents will fly to Cancun from their home country and stay there for two weeks before flying to US from Cancun. They need to do this for covid related ban imposed by US. Are there any reasonably priced safe places with Asian food options? They have never been to Mexico before. They will also need covid testing prior to taking flight for US. I can be there to pick them up at the airport and also will be with them when coming back.
Last edited by uberdoc on Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Re: Long term stay in Cancun

Post by Gill »

I would emphasize "safe" over "reasonable".
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Perhaps you could change the Subject Header from "long term stay" to "Two Week Stay".

That former would suggest a few months, whereas 2 weeks isn't unusual for a regular vacation.
Point is, different eyeballs may decide to open the post to help with info.

And emphasize the "reasonably priced safe places with Asian food options" so it gets more attention.

I hope they are able to enjoy their stay there!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Is there an option besides Mexico??

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Gill

Post by Gill »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:12 pm Is there an option besides Mexico??

j🌺
Would not be my choice.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
zuma

Post by zuma »

I have never been to Cancún, but I've stayed in Mérida which is considered one of Mexico's safest cities. It's 4.5 hours away from Cancún by bus. Just an idea.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

FWIW:

Mexico - "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" (US State Dept.)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... exico.html
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

zuma wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:48 pm I have never been to Cancun, but I've stayed in Mérida which is considered one of Mexico's safest cities. It's 4.5 hours away from Cancun by bus. Just an idea.
Going by bus is not a great option. I should think staying in Cancun itself is safer. I've flown in and out of Cancun. Also rented a car and driven to tourist areas and then driven to the car ferry near playa del Carmen. I'd recommend staying at an all inclusive (check Travelocity) if they're nervous about traveling around. Watch out for the folks at Cancun airport with clipboards. They're timeshare scammers. Arrange for the hotel to pick them up and don't go with anyone who doesn't already know their name. (Because other folks will claim they're with their hotel if they tell them which hotel they're going to.)
zuma

Post by zuma »

JediMisty wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:56 pm
zuma wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:48 pm I have never been to Cancun, but I've stayed in Mérida which is considered one of Mexico's safest cities. It's 4.5 hours away from Cancun by bus. Just an idea.
Going by bus is not a great option.
Why? I've traveled by bus in Mexico many times without a problem. Is there something about that particular route?
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Asian food options!?
Mexico has great food and they should try it. Don't have them be stuck with home country food. Its like going to France and eating at McD's.
zuma

Post by zuma »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 pm FWIW:

Mexico - "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" (US State Dept.)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... exico.html
If you look at the state-level guidelines for Mexico, it's not so scary.

Exercise Increased Caution When Traveling To: Quintana Roo
Exercise Normal Precautions When Traveling To: Yucatan state
Vettepilot

Post by Vettepilot »

The Riu brand resorts are relatively inexpensive for an all-inclusive option. They all include Asian food options at dinner. We particularly enjoyed Riu Palace Costa Mujeres a few weeks ago. Very safe, clean, and friendly.
Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc »

Thanks for your replies.
They can’t transit through US and only Mexico has flights from Asia with transit in Europe. They can only go to either Mexico City or Cancun as these two cities have nonstop flights from Europe. I want to minimize their travel.
They can also use premade food if microwave is available.
Please also suggest what to do for pcr/ ag testing in Mexico?
They are basically fleeing their country as healthcare, social networks, support system everything has collapsed due to covid.
Last edited by uberdoc on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vettepilot

Post by Vettepilot »

Every all-inclusive resort that we have visited in the past year has included a free rapid covid test (antigen) on-site, which was sufficient for entry into the US.
Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:12 pm Is there an option besides Mexico??

j🌺
Not really. Mexico is close by, doesn’t require Mexico visa if you have US visa in your passport and has flights from Europe.
leeks

Post by leeks »

If they are not the types that would enjoy being captive at an all inclusive resort, look into hotel options in Playa del Carmen. It's 55 km from the airport.

There do seem to be some Asian restaurants there (I didn't go to any though). We spent three weeks there for very little cost (but it was a decade ago) and it was a compact walkable town with a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, etc. There were not crowds of college-age US kids, it had more of a European feel. They could get a hotel room or airbnb rental with a kitchenette and provisions at grocery stores and markets if they wanted to cook their own food.
Last edited by leeks on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm an American who has traveled extensively in numerous developing market countries including Mexico and I had a great time everywhere. Off the beaten path is fine and generally more interesting. I have more experienced more annoyances/threats in supposedly safe tourist traps where there are a few locals there who specifically showed up that day to scam you. For example, people who try to charge you to park in free parking lots under the threat of... whatever. That happened twice on my last trip to Mexico. I just told them (in Spanish) some form of "do what you will." They moved on to easier targets.

I recommend the local food, everywhere. I'm going to eat whatever the locals are eating, at the places they eat at. Seriously. One quick example. On a business trip to China, a few of my colleagues went to an American chain restaurant. I shook my head and went to a local place that was busy and didn't have an English menu. My experience was I had a great meal at a minimal price. My colleagues reported gastrointestinal distress and the meal wasn't quite as expected. LOL

Costa Rica might be a better place than Mexico if that's an option. Fantastic, beautiful country! Although I would immediately leave the capital and go see and stay in the beautiful natural areas. They could also consider Aruba if they just want great beaches and fantastic fresh fish.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

leeks wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:42 pm If they are not the types that would enjoy being captive at an all inclusive resort, look into hotel options in Playa del Carmen. It's 55 km from the airport.

There do seem to be some Asian restaurants there (I didn't go to any though). We spent three weeks there for very little cost (but it was a decade ago) and it was a compact walkable town with a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, etc. There were not crowds of college-age US kids, it had more of a European feel. They could get a hotel room with a kitchenette and provisions at grocery stores and markets if they wanted to cook their own food.
Probably an all-inclusive in the hotel zone would be best. They just have to get there and relax for two weeks.

But if they are more comfortable staying in an apartment, or hotel with kitchen, then they should head to Playa del Carmen. They city is small and safe enough. Or stay in the large gated community of Playacar if safety is a concern.

They can take ADO bus for cheap or hire private transfer with Canada or USA Transfer companies

They could take taxi to Walmart or any large grocery store and get food supplies for two weeks.

All large hotels are offering free antigen test onsite. It is also easy to get tests in the city too.
We plan. G-d laughs.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I have spent 5 of the last 10 months in Mexico. I would say since they are not really coming to enjoy Mexico or Mexican culture, then an all-inclusive type setup in Cancun might be fine or even just something in the tourist zone. Like the other poster said, Playa Del Carmen in the tourist zone is a fine alternative also (buses and taxi available to there available at airport direct to your destination). It's the hot and rainy and hurricane season there although it's usually not that bad (6 to 8 inches of rain per month). I am assuming they speak English which is widely spoken in these places.

"Cartel Danger" in Mexico is quite regional and rarely directed at tourists. So just stay away from those regions.

Covid testing is available everywhere and all you need is an antigen test anyway to enter the US which just takes minutes and costs like US $30.

If they are Indian or Pakistani (just a guess based on what you wrote), it's not easy to find good examples of that cuisine in Mexico, unfortunately.

If they were somewhat adventurous and spoke at least a bit of Spanish, I would suggest a high end area of Mexico City instead. And they could certainly get their cuisine there. But it sounds like that is not a good fit for them.

Unfortunately, Uber does not work in the Cancun and Playa Del Carmen areas.
rahulpandit

Re: Two weeks stay in Cancun

Post by rahulpandit »

Check out the all inclusive packages from Costco. They take care of picking up at Mexico airport to hotel and drop you back. The all inclusive hotels are very accommodative of various meal request and their cuisine is easy to adapt to - rice, beans etc. Good luck!
alaskantraveler

Post by alaskantraveler »

A few thoughts. You can get pretty reasonable deals on all inclusive properties in CUN and surrounding areas. Just find one that has an Asian restaurant in it. Also check out redweek. People sell their timeshare weeks generally in 7 day increments. You could also consider sending them a little further south areas like Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Tuluum, Costa Maya. All within an hour or so drive, but not as touristed.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

Cancun, Cozumel or Isla Mujeres are all relatively safe. For maximum caution, travel only during the day, arrange shuttles or transport via the hotel and don't try to purchase illegal substances. Cozumel is an island with direct flights and I think it is the safest option in that area. The all-inclusive resorts are fantastic. I am a fan of the Palace Resorts. Like any foreign travel, there are street vendors and others that might try to swindle you. Do not engage with people unless you have a specific purpose and you will be left alone. Don't wear any flashy jewelry or watches and especially don't wave wads of cash around. I've been many times and never had a problem.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Really good advice by kramer. Would add the following.
kramer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm I would say since they are not really coming to enjoy Mexico or Mexican culture, then an all-inclusive type setup in Cancun might be fine or even just something in the tourist zone.
Agreed. Sounds like they might just be fried and need some down time somewhere safe. Cancun at a resort would be good for that.

One can also request not to have room service if you are concerned about contact with others.
kramer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm Like the other poster said, Playa Del Carmen in the tourist zone is a fine alternative also (buses and taxi available to there available at airport direct to your destination). It's the hot and rainy and hurricane season there although it's usually not that bad (6 to 8 inches of rain per month). I am assuming they speak English which is widely spoken in these places.
Personally would prefer Playa Del Carmen as well (a bus direct from the airport takes you there). Someone mentioned Cozumel, which could also be a good choice. These are all reasonably close to each other.
kramer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm "Cartel Danger" in Mexico is quite regional and rarely directed at tourists. So just stay away from those regions.
Yeah this really is a non-issue in the Yucatan. If you get more adventurous, then yes doing some research is probably in order.

The real concern is mosquitoes. In particular Aedes aegypti exists in the region (though it also shows up in Texas and Florida as well). It spreads a number of unpleasant viruses like Dengue, Zika, Chikungunya, etc. Simple solution is buy bug spray with DEET (can be found in pharmacies, grocery stores, etc.) and apply it religiously. I'm not crazy about bug spray, but in Mexico I spray this head to toe, cover clothes, and shoes/sandals before going out. All the locals do this too. They are quite aggressive about getting rid of sitting water and spraying down common areas especially in tourist zones.

Also would stick to bottled water as opposed to drinking out of the tap. Most restaurants offer bottled water as well. If not, can always ask for mineral water or bring your own.

Some other comments here: https://travelyucatan.com/cancun-medical/

Not trying to scare you. Just offering some practical advice. Also I'm possibly more cautious about these things than others may be.
kramer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm If they are Indian or Pakistani (just a guess based on what you wrote), it's not easy to find good examples of that cuisine in Mexico, unfortunately.
Yeah that would be hard to find. There are a fair number of European tourists. So one can actually find decent European food as well. Though Mexican food is quite good. Fajitas are a big thing there, which your parents may like (am speculating though). Most places have several of their own salsas, which they are eager to share.
kramer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm Unfortunately, Uber does not work in the Cancun and Playa Del Carmen areas.
True. Though there are buses, colectivos, and taxis. So still plenty of options to get around even if you don't have a car. Tourist areas are designed for walking. There are ferries to major areas as well.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

After watching tonight’s news on tv, I’m surprised that Mexico isn’t issuing travel warnings to the US.
alexp

Post by alexp »

Look at The Westin Lagunamar resort in Cancun. They have 1-bedroom accommodations with kitchen and it is in a relatively safe hotel zone. There is a shopping complex across the resort with many eating options including Thai and Indian.

-Alex