August vacation suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

August vacation suggestions?

Post by hmw »

I am trying to plan for an August vacation for my 10-year old son and I.

We just came back from a 9-day vacation in the PNW. We both enjoyed the trip. Unfortunately DS had the occasionally car motion sickness during the trip. He requested that the next vacation won't have so much driving.

We live in Texas so I would like to avoid super hot temperatures.

DS is not vaccinated so the trip has to be domestic.

Budget: flexible.
Duration: 5 to 9 days.

The only idea I have right now is San Diego. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
kuttolas

Re: August vacation suggestions?

Post by kuttolas »

We went to Colorado couple of years ago. We went in July and the weather was very nice, so I would imagine it wouldn't be too hot in august either. We loved the place and people we met and are planning to go again in August. We primarily visited, Vail, Breckenridge and Rocky Mountain national park in Grand Lake. Accommodations in Vail is a bit pricey, so we stayed 10 miles away in the town called Avon. Once you get to Vail, parking and shuttles around the city are free. The gondolas in Breckenridge were free too. The Rocky mountain national park in Grand Lake was about 2.5 hours away from Vail.

Colorado will not disappoint you, It is probably the one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. The views of the mountains and valley are so stunning that so many times we pulled over to the side of the road to just enjoy the view.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Obvious first question is what does your son like to do? The outdoors, sporting events, art, amusement parks, etc?
duffyinvestor

Post by duffyinvestor »

San Diego sounds pretty nice. Could throw in Anaheim and do Disneyland maybe.

Southwest has nonstops to Steamboat Springs, CO from TX now. Lots to do there. Any of the resort towns in CO really have similar offerings. My DD was almost 10 when we went. She liked horseback riding and the alpine slides.
Could fly into SLC and go to Park City. Easy drive compared to CO. Just pick one place instead of driving all around to check things off a list.

Other cooler (weather) than Texas cities: Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston. I’m suffering too in 95+ DFW weather this week. Anywhere with a high of 85 or under would be a relief!
duffyinvestor

Post by duffyinvestor »

One more. Hawaii is domestic! If you have 9 days, certainly possible.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This site might give you some ideas.

www.TripAdvisor.com
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
mhc

Post by mhc »

Yellowstone NP in August is really nice. The nights are cool (maybe some snow) and the days are warm. It is easy to spend a week or two there if you enjoy nature. The driving in the park is generally slow enough to avoid motion sickness.

Colorado is a good option, but the best parts of the state have mountains. They are not the best for motion sickness. My family really likes Glenwood Springs. There is a huge hot springs pool and an adventure park on the mountain. It is also a good jumping off point for multiple day trips (Aspen/Independence Pass, Maroon Bells, Redstone Castle/Marble). There is hiking and rafting also. You can rent bikes and bike along the Colorado River.

If you do go to Colorado, keep an eye on the forest fire maps. The smoke can be miserable in the summer at times. Last year we had the 2 largest fires in state history. The smoke on the northern front range (Denver to the Wyoming border) was absolutely horrible.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

We usually do Colorado mountains (drive from TX) for cool summer weather, but this is not a good option for motion sickness.

You could do west coast (ON the coast, as inland CA is as hot as TX). For example few years ago we drove from LA to SD and back. Beaches and Disney land. Or you can check out SF and surroundings.

Not sure where you went in PNW, but Olympic NP and Rainier are good summer options.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Petit Jean State Park, in Arkansas, is nice and should be a reasonable drive. You could also fly.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answers ... 26195.html

Weather is moderate and they have cabins, lodges and hiking trails.

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/park ... state-park
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will do some more research on Colorado.
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

hmw wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:00 pm I am trying to plan for an August vacation for my 10-year old son and I.

We live in Texas so I would like to avoid super hot temperatures.

DS is not vaccinated so the trip has to be domestic.
OK, get ready for a shocker....Upper Michigan. If you want to enjoy cool temperatures, natural beauty, no crowds, great people -- the UP is an excellent option. Fly into Green Bay, Marquette, or Escanaba. Make stops in Keweenaw Peninsula, Munising (Pictured Rocks), Sault Ste Marie, Mackinac Island. I am a little biased, see my avatar.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Does DS like the beach? If so, I highly recommend Traverse City, Michigan. Best beaches in all of the Great Lakes. There are two Bays - East and West Bay. My family prefers the East Bay as there are many establishments to pick and choose from. Sands Dunes in Lake Michigan will be something you and DS will remember forever. Plus, there are many Wineries for the Adult, should you want to take a break from the beach. Winery tours are pretty fun even for the kids. You can fly direct into TC via small airport or into Chicago or Detroit and drive (~ 3 hours). If flying into Chicago or Detroit maybe coincide with a Baseball Game - Tigers, Sox, Cubs. Chicago has some awesome museums that would be soo much fun (Planetarium, Field Museum, Museum of Sci & Industry, Shedd Aquarium, etc.). I'm not sure of the COVID situation in Chicago, but in Michigan it is greatly improved. IM me if you want some Hotel/Resort recommendations in TC as there is much to choose from.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean