iMac replacement -- purchase decision

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rjbraun

iMac replacement -- purchase decision

Post by rjbraun »

My current iMac has served me well but is over 10 years old. While it performs okay overall, I wasn't able to load TurboTax this year, I think because the computer is so old. Also, I plan to start a personal project that will involve my iMac and I want to avoid running into issues along the way due to the age of my computer.

I don't use my iMac for anything fancy, just surfing, MS Office (mainly Word and Excel), some photo editing, and loading music. I also hope to digitalize some voice recordings I made on an old-fashioned handheld cassette recorder (this is the noted personal project above).

I've already placed an order for the new 24-inch iMac. It is on backorder, and I figured I might as well place an order (fully refundable / cancellable) as It's not scheduled to arrive for another month. I am also having second thoughts now, though.

A recent Washington Post article was critical of the new 24" model. I hope the article link below isn't behind a paywall, but, basically, it seemed to say that Apple has sacrificed functionality for form. The 24-inch monitor may be sleek and attractive, but because it's so thin it can't accommodate some standard ports. Also, the fan is in a separate device. There may be other negatives, but those come to mind. Oh, also repairs are much harder because of the thin design.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... imac-thin/

The article resonated with me as I would prefer to keep my computer as long as possible. It's less of a cost thing (though I'd just as soon not spend money) and more wanting to avoid the inconvenience of buying a new computer, installing stuff, etc.

I am considering the 21.5-inch iMac. Apparently this model has been out for about a year and they may just be selling current inventory. Would it be silly to buy this now?

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-imac/21.5-inch

The article also seems to say the Mac mini is the best alternative to the new iMac "for anyone who might need a desktop Mac for creative tasks", but I'm not really sure what the mini does. I have limited space where I live, so the mini's small footprint is certainly a draw. Should I consider the mini? My iMac monitor seems to work fine, if I can use that with the mini.

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Thank you in advance!
fogalog

Re: iMac replacement -- purchase decision

Post by fogalog »

[minor edits for typo / clarity]
It sounds like you might be considering "target display mode" with your old iMac and a newer Mac Mini? I am not sure that works with a newer mini. Check out this apple support page.

A good summary of reviews - good and bad - can be found on macrumors.

I have many mac laptops and a 2015 27" 5k iMac. I too am interested in upgrading my iMac (I will pass the 2015 model on to one of my kids). I was planning on waiting for the new 27" but the reviews of the new 24" model give me some pause. Few ports and an external brick in particular seem like a backwards step.

I suspect I will end up with a tricked out mini + a new monitor. I plug a macbook pro into a monitor at work and the whole 1-cable (power + video) is pretty clean / cool and seamless.

If I were in your position, there is no harm in tinkering on the apple website for a similarly configured mac mini + a monitor. The LG ones Apple resells are pretty but you can also save by buying elsewhere. In the end it may be cheaper and, since you have a power brick anyway with the new iMac, no less clean looking.

Good luck!
Last edited by fogalog on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm I am considering the 21.5-inch iMac. Apparently this model has been out for about a year and they may just be selling current inventory. Would it be silly to buy this now?

...one more thing I forgot to mention. Take a look at the deals on the Apple Certified Refurbished site. I have used this many times and, particularly shortly after launch, you can find some real bargains there. Right now some great deals on non-M1 iMacs, as well as Mac Minis.

Good luck!
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

[Disclaimer: I work at an Apple reseller]
I have no first hand experience with the iMacs. All our customers who bought the new M1 Macbook Airs seem delighted with them. One note about the iMacs: Some Apple customers are complaining the display is slightly crooked. So be aware of this.
About the Intel iMacs. If you keep a computer 10 years, I'm not sure I would count on Apple supporting Intel for 10 more years. It's possible, but not guaranteed IMHO. As far as the ports, you will need some kind of a hub to provide you with the ports you require.
I see the power supply as a potential advantage. You can locate it where the possible fan noise is muffled. If the power supply fails, you can replace it. The heat dissipated by the power supply is kept away from the rest of the components.
My first Mac was a Mini, because I went on the assumption that having the display and everything else in one unit made it more likely something would fail (the display), plus I had a display. However, I would say that out of numerous iMacs I/my friends have owned, I have not seen anything fail except the mechanical hard drives.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm I've already placed an order for the new 24-inch iMac. It is on backorder, and I figured I might as well place an order (fully refundable / cancellable) as It's not scheduled to arrive for another month. I am also having second thoughts now, though.
Good choice I think.
rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm A recent Washington Post article was critical of the new 24" model. I hope the article link below isn't behind a paywall, but, basically, it seemed to say that Apple has sacrificed functionality for form. The 24-inch monitor may be sleek and attractive, but because it's so thin it can't accommodate some standard ports. Also, the fan is in a separate device. There may be other negatives, but those come to mind. Oh, also repairs are much harder because of the thin design.

Yeah, ok. A simple $25 hub will give you access to USB-A and an SD card reader if you need it. I think that's a non-issue.

Did you see the little mini pizza cutter in the article. I used that to open mine up and install more memory and upgrade the SSD. It was kinda fun, but yeah a little demanding. Anyway, the M1 stuff is all on the chip so there won't be anymore of that.

Anyway, the article is a bit clueless in it's assertion that the thin size is preventing upgrades. Rather, the design of the new chip precludes simple installing new memory though a slot in the back.

It seems weird for the article to compare a 27" previously top of the line iMac to a new entry level M1 but hey they are good. The only reason not to get a 24" iMac or Mac mini would be to get the current 27" intel top of the line processor with 32GB or more memory for intensive tasks (assuming you can't wait till Q4 or maybe Q1 or Q2 next year for the Apple Silicon replacement to be out).
rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm The article resonated with me as I would prefer to keep my computer as long as possible. It's less of a cost thing (though I'd just as soon not spend money) and more wanting to avoid the inconvenience of buying a new computer, installing stuff, etc.
Then get the new M1. 16GB memory would be nice to future proof it, but we got an M1 air with only 8Gb and think it'll be fine.
rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm I am considering the 21.5-inch iMac. Apparently this model has been out for about a year and they may just be selling current inventory. Would it be silly to buy this now?
Yes, that would be silly.

rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm The article also seems to say the Mac mini is the best alternative to the new iMac "for anyone who might need a desktop Mac for creative tasks", but I'm not really sure what the mini does. I have limited space where I live, so the mini's small footprint is certainly a draw. Should I consider the mini? My iMac monitor seems to work fine, if I can use that with the mini.

Thank you in advance!
The Mac mini is a great choice, but I think you should actually look at a new 24" screen and compare it to your old one.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

fogalog wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:03 pm A good summary of reviews - good and bad - can be found on macrumors.
fogalog wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:08 pm
...one more thing I forgot to mention. Take a look at the deals on the Apple Certified Refurbished site. I have used this many times and, particularly shortly after launch, you can find some real bargains there. Right now some great deals on non-M1 iMacs, as well as Mac Minis.

Good luck!
Thank you. Yeah, I just happened to stumble on the WaPo iMac review. In hindsight, it's probably worth doing a more thorough and thoughtful review search.

I have bought a couple of refurbished iPods in the past and was satisfied. Good reminder to check that out if I go for a non-M1 iMac!
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

typical.investor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am Yeah, ok. A simple $25 hub will give you access to USB-A and an SD card reader if you need it. I think that's a non-issue.
Yeah, I am just trying to avoid accumulating "stuff", but, hey, maybe that's just the nature of tech and things these days. :annoyed
typical.investor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am Then get the new M1. 16GB memory would be nice to future proof it, but we got an M1 air with only 8Gb and think it'll be fine.
I did actually order the expanded memory. Apple rep recommended that -- after hearing I have kept my current iMac 10+ years! :D

typical.investor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am
Yes, that would be silly.
Okay, thanks for the direct feedback! :sharebeer
typical.investor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am The Mac mini is a great choice, but I think you should actually look at a new 24" screen and compare it to your old one.
Okay, now I guess I just need to figure out how I could integrate a Mac mini into my current configuration. :shock:
typical.investor

rjbraun wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:15 am
typical.investor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am The Mac mini is a great choice, but I think you should actually look at a new 24" screen and compare it to your old one.
Okay, now I guess I just need to figure out how I could integrate a Mac mini into my current configuration. :shock:
For the next 10 years, wouldn't you like to be looking at a nicer screen? I very much appreciated the difference when I upgraded to a Retina. Likely even better now but surely an improvement over your current Mac (which you'd use for the display if you got the mini -correct?).

Anyway, the M1 iMac has the magic keyboard with Touch ID. The mini is compatible but for now they are only sold with the iMac.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

What was the reason for Turbotax not loading? Here's a link to the system requirements for Turbotax for Mac:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/syste ... e/00/25609

Turbotax 2020 for Mac seems to require MacOS Mojave 10.14 or higher.

What version of MacOS are you running?

macOS Mojave supports the following systems iMac late 2012 or later. If your Mac supports MacOS Mojave, you can try upgrading to that to get Turbotax to work. If that works, it may allow you to delay your Mac upgrade.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro and I have reached the end of the line on macOS upgrades at macOS Catalina 10.5. It still works great but I did pickup an M1 MacBook Air from Costco a few weeks ago when they were $100 off. The new M1 MacBook Air is fantastic.

All the M1 macs released to date, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and 24 inch iMac are essentially the same computer in different cases. All have excellent performance, low power consumption.
Wiki
cody69

Post by cody69 »

My iMac and Mac mini were both getting up in their years, such that I couldn’t upgrade to latest Mac OS. I replaced the mini and decided to wait for the iMac to get upgraded with the latest Apple chip. I upgraded the mini disk and memory, and am super happy with its performance capability. In fact, the mini seems such a strong player that I am considering it as a replacement for the iMac and think I will be fine with a single Mac computer.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Highly recommend the mac mini m1. No fuss, no drama, runs like a scalded dog.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

DSInvestor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 pm What was the reason for Turbotax not loading? Here's a link to the system requirements for Turbotax for Mac:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/syste ... e/00/25609

Turbotax 2020 for Mac seems to require MacOS Mojave 10.14 or higher.

What version of MacOS are you running?

macOS Mojave supports the following systems iMac late 2012 or later. If your Mac supports MacOS Mojave, you can try upgrading to that to get Turbotax to work. If that works, it may allow you to delay your Mac upgrade.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro and I have reached the end of the line on macOS upgrades at macOS Catalina 10.5. It still works great but I did pickup an M1 MacBook Air from Costco a few weeks ago when they were $100 off. The new M1 MacBook Air is fantastic.

All the M1 macs released to date, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and 24 inch iMac are essentially the same computer in different cases. All have excellent performance, low power consumption.
My iMac is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I think I squeaked by with TurboTax 2019, by updating my OS, but for TT 2020 I guess my Mac no longer cuts it. Apparently, it's "Late 2009", when I retrieve the system info. It's an old machine, but apart from the problem loading TT, it has served me well. So, while I am prepared to get something new, for now I will probably hang on to my current iMac as well. It's working, has no trade-in value (I am guessing) and I'm not really comfortable just tossing it anyway (for security reasons).

Glad that you like your nw M1 MacBook Air!
financialheadache

Post by financialheadache »

Disclaimer: former Apple employee.

Based on what is currently available in the Apple lineup, you made the best decision. You'll love this new iMac. It is fast, fast, fast and has a beautiful screen. Get a little Hub adapter for more ports, if necessary. Not a huge deal.

When Apple launched their new M1 processor late last year, it marked the beginning of a two-year long transition away from Intel. As of now, only the low to medium end computers have been updated (Mac mini, MacBook Air, 24 inch iMac, smaller MacBook Pro.) Sometime later this year, Apple will begin to update their higher end models (bigger MacBook Pro, larger iMac rumored to be 30 inches.)

I would not buy any of the older Intel models anymore unless I absolutely had to for a specific professional reason (some audio plug in not compatible, etc.) You made the right choice in ordering the newer M1 version.

The only other option you have is to wait until later this year to see what the bigger designed 30 inch iMac will bring to the table. It will undoubtedly be more expensive (2k+), but may also be a nice future-proofing choice to keep this for another 10 years. Either way, these new M1 chips are so darn fast that even in a "low-end" model they blow away many of Intel's most expensive processors. You are going to love have fast this computer feels compared to your old model. It's a great product. They look nice in person too!
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

financialheadache wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:37 pm Disclaimer: former Apple employee.

Based on what is currently available in the Apple lineup, you made the best decision. You'll love this new iMac. It is fast, fast, fast and has a beautiful screen. Get a little Hub adapter for more ports, if necessary. Not a huge deal.

When Apple launched their new M1 processor late last year, it marked the beginning of a two-year long transition away from Intel. As of now, only the low to medium end computers have been updated (Mac mini, MacBook Air, 24 inch iMac, smaller MacBook Pro.) Sometime later this year, Apple will begin to update their higher end models (bigger MacBook Pro, larger iMac rumored to be 30 inches.)

I would not buy any of the older Intel models anymore unless I absolutely had to for a specific professional reason (some audio plug in not compatible, etc.) You made the right choice in ordering the newer M1 version.

The only other option you have is to wait until later this year to see what the bigger designed 30 inch iMac will bring to the table. It will undoubtedly be more expensive (2k+), but may also be a nice future-proofing choice to keep this for another 10 years. Either way, these new M1 chips are so darn fast that even in a "low-end" model they blow away many of Intel's most expensive processors. You are going to love have fast this computer feels compared to your old model. It's a great product. They look nice in person too!
Thank you. I'm sure I could grow to love a 30-inch, top quality iMac screen, but the reality is it probably wouldn't fit my current tabletop configuration. Not only do I probably not have the desktop space (width), but I also assume that I wouldn't want my face (eyes) to be as close to the monitor as is the case now (with a 21.5" screen). But there's not really that much space for me to physically back up where I sit to add more distance. (I've basically got the iMac on a desk in a hallway.)

As for the updated Mac mini with the M1 chip, how does that differ from the new 24" iMac? I know the mini doesn't come with a monitor, and then I guess there are maybe no ports on the side to plug stuff in (or maybe there are?). I guess the price difference is maybe $600 or so (for the lowest priced 24" iMac). Is the price differential just the cost of the monitor, or what else does an iMac offer that the mini doesn't? (Thank you in advance for educating me!)
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Same exact situation here, when filing my return in 2020 TurboTax notified me that my Mid 2010 iMac would need to be upgraded to be compatible with this years TurboTax.

So in February I purchased the Apple M1 MacBook. We have been very pleased, although getting used to the lack of tradition IO has been somewhat of an adjustment.

Just this month my 74 y/o Dad called for help with his computer. It was 2008 PC running an ancient MSFT OS. He uses a computer for basic web surfing, email and some basic banking. He agreed it was time for a replacement and went with a 24” iMac M1…cash and carry from Costco 2 weeks ago, no backlog.

Same lack of I/O ports on the iMac and the MacBook. I don’t think think this is capability issue with Apple, rather I think it’s this is the brave new world. We don’t connect serial ports, DVI, HDMI etc to our computers anymore so not an issue. If you need something you can get a hub that will connect with the Apple USB C connection on either computer.
BadgerInBerkeley

Post by BadgerInBerkeley »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm My current iMac has served me well but is over 10 years old. While it performs okay overall, I wasn't able to load TurboTax this year, I think because the computer is so old. Also, I plan to start a personal project that will involve my iMac and I want to avoid running into issues along the way due to the age of my computer.

I don't use my iMac for anything fancy, just surfing, MS Office (mainly Word and Excel), some photo editing, and loading music. I also hope to digitalize some voice recordings I made on an old-fashioned handheld cassette recorder (this is the noted personal project above).

I've already placed an order for the new 24-inch iMac. It is on backorder, and I figured I might as well place an order (fully refundable / cancellable) as It's not scheduled to arrive for another month. I am also having second thoughts now, though.

A recent Washington Post article was critical of the new 24" model. I hope the article link below isn't behind a paywall, but, basically, it seemed to say that Apple has sacrificed functionality for form. The 24-inch monitor may be sleek and attractive, but because it's so thin it can't accommodate some standard ports. Also, the fan is in a separate device. There may be other negatives, but those come to mind. Oh, also repairs are much harder because of the thin design.

The article resonated with me as I would prefer to keep my computer as long as possible. It's less of a cost thing (though I'd just as soon not spend money) and more wanting to avoid the inconvenience of buying a new computer, installing stuff, etc.

I am considering the 21.5-inch iMac. Apparently this model has been out for about a year and they may just be selling current inventory. Would it be silly to buy this now?

The article also seems to say the Mac mini is the best alternative to the new iMac "for anyone who might need a desktop Mac for creative tasks", but I'm not really sure what the mini does. I have limited space where I live, so the mini's small footprint is certainly a draw. Should I consider the mini? My iMac monitor seems to work fine, if I can use that with the mini.

Thank you in advance!
I’m a long time Mac user and Apple follower. I think the 24” iMac is a fantastic product. I think it will be great for 5-10 years. I’ve had my iMac for over 10 years too, upgrading the ram (easy) and swapping out the spinning disk drive for a solid state drive (hard for reasons beyond taking the computer apart). Days of upgrading are indeed going away, but it’s probably fine given the trade offs.

I would not consider the 21.5” or any intel-based Mac. The hardware will quickly feel out of date.

When buying, think about how much storage you’ll need. Also, if possible, go to 16 GB of ram if you can afford it. That’s almost always a good place to spend your money if you plan on holding onto the hardware for over 5 years.

Be happy! You held out for a long time for a great time to upgrade!
typical.investor

rjbraun wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:55 pm As for the updated Mac mini with the M1 chip, how does that differ from the new 24" iMac? I know the mini doesn't come with a monitor, and then I guess there are maybe no ports on the side to plug stuff in (or maybe there are?). I guess the price difference is maybe $600 or so (for the lowest priced 24" iMac). Is the price differential just the cost of the monitor, or what else does an iMac offer that the mini doesn't? (Thank you in advance for educating me!)

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/mac-mini-m1

By the way, to see which adapters you need to run it with the iMac in target display mode, the pdf in the first post is a nice chart. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ho ... s.2274691/

As for the size of the 24" compared to your 21" :

Mid 2010 21" iMac
Height: 17.75 inches (45.1 cm)
Width: 20.8 inches (52.8 cm)
Depth: 7.42 inches (18.85 cm)

24" M1 iMac
Height: 18.1 inches (46.1 cm)
Width: 21.5 inches (54.7 cm)
Depth: 5.8 inches (14.7 cm)

If the screen is too wide, I'd get in the habit of using Apple's split screen functionality (not my favorite) or something like Magnet or one of the other many split screen apps https://apps.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766?mt=12
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

ANY M1 Mac (Pro, Mini, Air, iMac) is a dream. Takes the cake.

Great value, for how long they last and run well.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Reset your expectations.
5 year replacement cycle, not 10.
If you are not a computer geek, stop reading click-bait articles.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
financialheadache

Post by financialheadache »

rjbraun wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:55 pm
financialheadache wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:37 pm Disclaimer: former Apple employee.

As for the updated Mac mini with the M1 chip, how does that differ from the new 24" iMac? I know the mini doesn't come with a monitor, and then I guess there are maybe no ports on the side to plug stuff in (or maybe there are?). I guess the price difference is maybe $600 or so (for the lowest priced 24" iMac). Is the price differential just the cost of the monitor, or what else does an iMac offer that the mini doesn't? (Thank you in advance for educating me!)
The iMac is essentially the exact same computer as the Mac mini but with a built in high-end monitor. The Mac mini has some different ports on the back as shown in the picture above. It's hard to price out a monitor of the same quality as the iMac but the price differential is worth it for most people (also includes keyboard/mouse obviously.)
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Thank you for all the incredibly helpful replies. I definitely feel more knowledgeable about my purchase now, and am happy to finally know what the Mac mini is all about. As I plan for this to be my primary (home) computer I would just as soon go with an Apple monitor, not just for the quality but also to be "one and done" and not have to shop for things separately.

I still probably have almost another month before my 24" iMac will be ready, but I am more comfortable now taking delivery.

I went for the extra memory (16GB) and 512GB SSD storage, so hopefully the setup will serve me well over time.

Thanks again for all the input!
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:11 pm Thank you for all the incredibly helpful replies. I definitely feel more knowledgeable about my purchase now, and am happy to finally know what the Mac mini is all about. As I plan for this to be my primary (home) computer I would just as soon go with an Apple monitor, not just for the quality but also to be "one and done" and not have to shop for things separately.

I still probably have almost another month before my 24" iMac will be ready, but I am more comfortable now taking delivery.

I went for the extra memory (16GB) and 512GB SSD storage, so hopefully the setup will serve me well over time.

Very good choice on that. It's a one and done and you will get years out of it.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:11 pm Thank you for all the incredibly helpful replies. I definitely feel more knowledgeable about my purchase now, and am happy to finally know what the Mac mini is all about. As I plan for this to be my primary (home) computer I would just as soon go with an Apple monitor, not just for the quality but also to be "one and done" and not have to shop for things separately.

Have you gotten your new computer yet? What do you think about it?

Signed,

Someone considering this purchase
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Texanbybirth wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:58 am

Have you gotten your new computer yet? What do you think about it?

Signed,

Someone considering this purchase
Yes, my new iMac arrived several weeks ago (maybe a week earlier than projected by Apple, I think). So far, I like it - but I have to say that I haven't really had time to transfer stuff from my old iMac and get things set up (hope to maybe make some progress this weekend). But, yes, no complaints so far, and I am happy with the purchase decision based on only limited use to date.

I will post an update later if I have anything notable to share. Sorry I can't be more expansive in my assessment for now! I do like the relatively streamlined design (space is at a premium for me at home).

Eta: I started typing with the keyboard on my lap tonight, as the table I happen to have the computer on now is a bit high. Anyway, while I like the tactile feel of the typing on the keyboard, I just noticed that the keyboard itself is incredibly light. I guess that's good, but it actually feels rather insubstantial - almost like it's not even a real keyboard. Strange. Meanwhile, the trackpad is surprisingly heavy in weight. :confused

I do like the fingerprint option to login! Much faster and more convenient
Last edited by rjbraun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:28 am Yes, my new iMac arrived several weeks ago (maybe a week earlier than projected by Apple, I think). So far, I like it - but I have to say that I haven't really had time to transfer stuff from my old iMac and get things set up (hope to maybe make some progress this weekend). But, yes, no complaints so far, and I am happy with the purchase decision based on only limited use to date.

I will post an update later if I have anything notable to share. Sorry I can't be more expansive in my assessment for now! I do like the relatively streamlined design (space is at a premium for me at home).
For transferring your old stuff, I'd heartily recommend Migration Assistant. You can find it in the Utilities folder. It works wonderfully. All your files, settings, passwords will "just work" (OK, there are a few exceptions). You can find more info here.

Good luck!
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

fogalog wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:01 pm
rjbraun wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:28 am Yes, my new iMac arrived several weeks ago (maybe a week earlier than projected by Apple, I think). So far, I like it - but I have to say that I haven't really had time to transfer stuff from my old iMac and get things set up (hope to maybe make some progress this weekend). But, yes, no complaints so far, and I am happy with the purchase decision based on only limited use to date.

For transferring your old stuff, I'd heartily recommend Migration Assistant. You can find it in the Utilities folder. It works wonderfully. All your files, settings, passwords will "just work" (OK, there are a few exceptions). You can find more info here.

Good luck!
Thank you for the recommendation. I do plan to use Migration Assistant. I think I will need to move my two iMacs to be closer to one another when I do, but before I can even do that I decided I will need to clean up the files on my old iMac. It's probably something I should have done years ago, but the last thing I want to do now is duplicate the disorganization on my new iMac. Sigh.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I have always used Macs but I am not crazy about my new IMac.
- The mouse needs to be charged instead of using batteries. Always seems to happen when I really need it. Same with the "wireless" keyboard.
- It needs more USB ports, I have already maxed out mine with a couple external drives. What happened to USB ports on the keyboard?

I bought this 24" mac November last year.
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

rjbraun wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Good luck!
Thank you for the recommendation. I do plan to use Migration Assistant. I think I will need to move my two iMacs to be closer to one another when I do, but before I can even do that I decided I will need to clean up the files on my old iMac. It's probably something I should have done years ago, but the last thing I want to do now is duplicate the disorganization on my new iMac. Sigh.
Ola! How are you liking your new iMac? Was the migration process easy? Any pros and cons you'd like to share? Im considering an upgrade myself. Thank you!
dbr

Post by dbr »

krafty81 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:22 pm I have always used Macs but I am not crazy about my new IMac.
- The mouse needs to be charged instead of using batteries. Always seems to happen when I really need it. Same with the "wireless" keyboard.
- It needs more USB ports, I have already maxed out mine with a couple external drives. What happened to USB ports on the keyboard?

I bought this 24" mac November last year.
You might want this: https://satechi.net/products/usb-c-clam ... 9389391960

Apple does not acknowledge that you can't use the mouse while charging it. To use a mouse with a wire attached to it is so awful that it is better to stop work than do that. My wife has a Satechi that among other things feeds the keyboard with a short cord that does not have to run behind the computer. Our solution to the mouse is we bought a wireless mouse from someone else and just put batteries in it.

Sometimes Apple seems like the dumbest outfit out there though I sit here with six Apple devices in the house. Presently typing on a Dell desktop and thinking of lying down and reading on my Kindle paperwhite. I did buy a set of AirPods Max that I really like, though.

Oh, and we just chatted with one of our kids on Google Meets on our iPhone and not on FaceTime. Our real go-to lately though is Zoom on the desktops and sometimes ported to the TV set if the Zoom is to watch other people and not speak ourselves.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

lillycat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Good luck!
Ola! How are you liking your new iMac? Was the migration process easy? Any pros and cons you'd like to share? Im considering an upgrade myself. Thank you!
Ola! I like my new iMac! But I am kinda embarrassed to say that I haven't got around yet to the migration. That said, I think it should probably be straightforward, though because I don't have particularly fast internet service I think I may need to move things around physically to migrate files more easily.

Hmmm, pros and cons. Pros would be nice screen and compact profile of all the components: screen, keyboard, trackpad. I actually have the iMac positioned at one end of my dining table now. This was going to be temporary, but I may keep it this way for a while now. One nice thing has been to just turn around the screen to face the other end of the dining table and we can watch videos and stuff. We're pretty lo-tech relative to others, I suppose. I guess a con may be the limited ports. It hasn't been a problem for me so far, but I suspect it will be once I start hooking up backup drives.

I'm kind of surprised that the screen doesn't seem as big as I would have thought. It's bigger than my old iMac, which I assume is 18.5"(?)* and it's certainly bigger than my Mac Book Pro 13" screen. I guess maybe it's because relative to the dining table it's not so large. It's fine and I don't think I would want it bigger (would need more clearance to turn around, which could be problematic). Maybe it's just that one adapts more than I would have thought.

Good luck with your decision! Let me know if you have specific questions I can try to help with - sorry I'm probably not as discerning a critic as others may be

Eta: my old iMac screen is actually 21.5" in size
Last edited by rjbraun on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:42 pm
lillycat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Good luck!
Ola! I like my new iMac! But I am kinda embarrassed to say that I haven't got around yet to the migration. That said, I think it should probably be straightforward, though because I don't have particularly fast internet service I think I may need to move things around physically to migrate files more easily.

Hmmm, pros and cons. Pros would be nice screen and compact profile of all the components: screen, keyboard, trackpad. I actually have the iMac positioned at one end of my dining table now. This was going to be temporary, but I may keep it this while permanently. One nice thing has been to just turn around the screen to face the other end of the dining table and we can watch videos and stuff. We're pretty lo-tech relative to others, I suppose. I guess a con may be the limited ports. It hasn't been a problem for me so far, but I suspect it will be once I start hooking up backup drives.

I'm kind of surprised that the screen doesn't seem as big as I would have thought. It's bigger than my old iMac, which I assume is 18.5"(?) and it's certainly bigger than my Mac Book Pro 13" screen. I guess maybe it's because relative to the dining table it's not so large. It's fine and I don't think I would want it bigger (would need more clearance to turn around, which could be problematic). Maybe it's just that one adapts more than I would have thought.

Good luck with your decision! Let me know if you have specific questions I can try to help with - sorry I'm probably not as discerning a critic as others may be
Happy it’s working out for you! Hmmm…that screen. I’d be moving from a 27”. IMac so may be underwhelmed by the downgrade. Something to think about.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

lillycat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 am Happy it’s working out for you! Hmmm…that screen. I’d be moving from a 27”. IMac so may be underwhelmed by the downgrade. Something to think about.
Actually, my old iMac is 21.5" in screen size. I just checked and also updated my prior post.