DIY planter window box

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

DIY planter window box

Post by BashDash »

Hi all,
I am looking to install around a 52 inch PVC plant window box. House is vinyl siding which is over concrete block. Plan is to install using masonry bit and anchors to attach the window box. Wondering if there is any easier suggestion although I think my novice skills can handle it. I did see some clamps online but this particular window sill doesn't have an overhang. Welcoming any tips or suggestions. Basically trying to measure twice cut once by checking in with bogleheads. Thanks!!!!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: DIY planter window box

Post by Sandtrap »

BashDash wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 am Hi all,
I am looking to install around a 52 inch PVC plant window box. House is vinyl siding which is over concrete block. Plan is to install using masonry bit and anchors to attach the window box. Wondering if there is any easier suggestion although I think my novice skills can handle it. I did see some clamps online but this particular window sill doesn't have an overhang. Welcoming any tips or suggestions. Basically trying to measure twice cut once by checking in with bogleheads. Thanks!!!!
Something like this?
You either have or going to make brackets that attach or "hook" onto your existing window sill, or anchor into the wall, or both.
Since you mention "masonry bit and anchors", then it's assumed you're considering installing your fastener bolts/lags into holes drilled into your vinyl siding then into the CMU underneath it.
Is this correct?

This is a lot of weight.
Considerations are:
1. Messing up the integrity of your vinyl siding. So drill and seal and install carefully.
2. If the CMU below your window sill is a solid fill or hollow or a lintel block or ? It should be a solid fill but . . . you never know. . .
3. Install larger lead or expansion shields into the CMU then use galvanized or other non rusting lag anchor bolts at least 1.5 to 2 inches into the CMU below, not from the vinyl siding depth, deeper.
4. For a 52 inch width box, then at least 3 mounting places, each side and center, and 2 bolts per location vertically.
5. Don't buy cheap lag anchor bolts because they will break as they go in if it is tight. Buy a higher grade lag bolt. Stainless is good.
6. Do not use cheap plastic tap in anchors. Not enough for this use. "Tap Cons" can work if larger diameter and long and into a solid CMU fill and installed carefully.
7. Seal and caulk so there's no water intrusion behind your vinyl siding.
8. etc.
Tools: Hammer Drill.

Lot's of ways of doing these things based on each person's experience and tendencies.
This is just one.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks Sandtrap! I'm slightly intimidated to pull this off and ruin the siding right by the entryway. Let me digest your post and maybe I can pull this off. Thanks again! Enjoy the us open!
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Everything that sandtrap said.

Especially the weight (when it's filled with water after a rainstorm). Especially making sure that you seal (caulk) around anything that goes thru the siding. Every year you will need to inspect and recaulk as necessary. This isn't a one and done.

You may also want to make sure that the box you install has drainage - if you get a lot of rain (often) the box without drainage may swamp your plants and they will rot. Also no drainage means it may overflow doing rain storms and "run" down your siding/house. Pay attention to what's under the box - where the drainage is going.

You may want to make sure that you empty the box (plants and dirt) or remove it every fall - especially if you get freezing temps and rain and/or snow in winter. Water is the enemy - frozen water is the the heavy lifter/hardest hitter. I live in the land of Chicago Bungalows - and there's a reason they remove (or wrap) their decorative flower boxes that sit on "extended" brick brackets that are part of the house every winter.

Make sure you install this at a height/location you can easily water. You may have to water it everyday during the summer heat if you pack it full of plants for a "full" look.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Maggie and Sandtrap thanks for the responses! I will post a update or picture when done. Thanks!