Florida State University

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Eat33

Re: Florida State University

Post by Eat33 »

In my freshman year I lived in an ugly dorm, had terrible professors, poor counseling advice. A friend from high school at Christmas break told me about his wonderful experience at another school.

I transferred 3000 miles across country and lost some scholarship money. Best move of my life!!!
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Eat33 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:22 am In my freshman year I lived in an ugly dorm, had terrible professors, poor counseling advice. A friend from high school at Christmas break told me about his wonderful experience at another school.

I transferred 3000 miles across country and lost some scholarship money. Best move of my life!!!
That is heartening information. I believe he will have a similar outcome. This is an 18 year making his final breakout into adulthood after a lot of hard work.
countmein

Post by countmein »

You can join any number of gyms with plenty of free weights in the city of Madison for like $40 a month.

Tallahassee is a notoriously miserable town. Yes, been there many times.

Something doesn't add up with the stated reasons to transfer.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

countmein wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:52 pm Tallahassee is a notoriously miserable town. Yes, been there many times.
Couldn’t agree more
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

bstevlin wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:54 am
bstevlin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 pm 18 year old grandson is transferring from UW Madison to Florida State. He has about 53 credits if all of his AP courses are counted and the 32 credits he earned from his freshman year. His GPA IS 3.79 higher if AP credits are counted. He was in bio science at Madison, but will enroll in the actuary science program at FSU. When he enrolled at Madison the family thought he would go in to actuary science program because of his strong grades in AP calc A and B. and interest in business. His parents supported his biology tryout, but he understands unless he goes into healthcare he is sentenced to a life time of meager earnings. He does not care for the administration at UW and the city of Madison. It is important to him to be able to lift weights and run outside to relieve stress, neither was available to him because of weather or gym availability. Tallahassee is an inconvenient minimum 6 hour flight from his hometown. His parents are not to pleased. FSU is about $7000 more if all fees are tallied, maybe a little less if he can get scholarship money. He understands he may lose credits transferring from Madison to FSU. FSU alums and other folks, any constructive thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks to the responders who posted thoughtful and comments. We are his grandparents, we just want him to be happy. We would prefer he stay here, but we support his decsion to go to FSU if that what he wants. The city of Madison is not what it used to be. His friends who went to other schools in State and out of state are satisfied with their experience. They feel their school administrators did a good job of handling the pandemic. At Madison GS, his parents, the student body and the grandparents know the administrators never reached out to the students, they just hunkered down, checked out and continued to collect their fat salaries and loved every minute. The UW Administration answer is that's not our job to reach out to students.
Respectfully, this is a sample size of one providing their opinion/experience. We know many students that completed their first year at UW Madison just now, was it an ideal situation? No. Is it what you describe above? Not in my opinion.

Your grandson is unhappy for some interesting reasons, hopefully the change of scenery will bring him the happiness he is looking for.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

op, sounds like a good kid who could use a change of scenery. I’m sure he will do fine.
Flashes1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 am 3. Prominent alumni like Bobby Bowden, Charlie Crist, Jimbo Fisher and numerous NFL football players.
I had to make a mental note to Google the prominent alumni names tomorrow, because I honestly have never heard of one of them.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

As a former UF Gator I'm biased, but having said that he should be fine. Both UF and FSU seem to be going up the national rankings, FWIW. FSU seems like a nice campus. Tallahassee isn't terribly exciting.

It sounds like he has already made up his mind. He has good grades, wants to go into a very employable field (actuary) and is going to a respectable of his choice. I don't think there is anything to worry about. He's taking charge of his life, making his own decisions and doing something and going somewhere a bit different. I think I'd be fully supportive of his actions.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:56 pm op, sounds like a good kid who could use a change of scenery. I’m sure he will do fine.
Flashes1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 am 3. Prominent alumni like Bobby Bowden, Charlie Crist, Jimbo Fisher and numerous NFL football players.
I had to make a mental note to Google the prominent alumni names tomorrow, because I honestly have never heard of one of them.
They are all very successful, and generally well known people. Although none of them are renowned in the actuarial sciences, as far as I can tell.

I'm a proponent to let the young man make his own decisions.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:56 pm op, sounds like a good kid who could use a change of scenery. I’m sure he will do fine.
First and last were two head football coaches, and the guy in the middle is a politician that switches parties and best I can tell nobody really likes anymore.

Other notable alumni were Burt Reynolds and Lee Corso of Espn (or maybe Corso coached there)

It's been decades, but when I was college age one great thing about FSU was females outnumbered males, which was the opposite of UF. I don't know if that still stands. Just checked- FSU is still 57% female. Probably stems from many many decades ago when FSU started as a female only school.

Interesting UF is now also majority female, so that is a change.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

cashheavy18 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:36 pm
Respectfully, this is a sample size of one providing their opinion/experience. We know many students that completed their first year at UW Madison just now, was it an ideal situation? No. Is it what you describe above? Not in my opinion.

Your grandson is unhappy for some interesting reasons, hopefully the change of scenery will bring him the happiness he is looking for.
Exactly. As someone who has worked with college students for over 20 years, I can say that it is pretty common for them to voice complaints about things that are simply untrue, so take everything with a grain of salt.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

If you follow college athletics, or Southern politics, you certainly have. All 3 of these guys have well endowed portfolios, too, which makes them very cool to Boglehoods!

But back to the message, I hope the OP's grandson checks out the PIKES. Given his interest in physical fitness and academic studies, I think he'd get a lot out of the experience.
ginrummy

Post by ginrummy »

countmein wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:52 pm You can join any number of gyms with plenty of free weights in the city of Madison for like $40 a month.

I think the young man is deciding with information provided by a divisive media. Gyms being open or closed and his coloring of Madison as dystopian...smacks of the politics.

I don't think I knew which party was which when I was 18. No longer an option.
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

ginrummy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 pm
countmein wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:52 pm You can join any number of gyms with plenty of free weights in the city of Madison for like $40 a month.

I think the young man is deciding with information provided by a divisive media. Gyms being open or closed and his coloring of Madison as dystopian...smacks of the politics.

I don't think I knew which party was which when I was 18. No longer an option

Last summer, fall and winter Downtown Madison near the university looked more like Beirut or Belfast than Madison. I know, both his parents and I saw it. Along with being locked down in a dorm he thought it was time for a change. His parents asked asked him to give it another try. He said it was time for a change and Florida State was the best choice based on quality of education, life style and price. He made a good choice because it was his decision.
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

bstevlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:22 pm
ginrummy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 pm

I don't think I knew which party was which when I was 18. No longer an option

Last summer, fall and winter Downtown Madison near the university looked more like Beirut or Belfast than Madison. I know, both his parents and I saw it. Along with being locked down in a dorm he thought it was time for a change. His parents asked asked him to give it another try. He said it was time for a change and Florida State was the best choice based on quality of education, life style and price. He made a good choice because it was his decision.
I was not aware of the term divisive media. A friend told me it's a talking point for folks with narrow minds. Good to know. Thanks
Last edited by bstevlin on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

JBTX wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:47 pm
First and last were two head football coaches, and the guy in the middle is a politician that switches parties and best I can tell nobody really likes anymore.

Other notable alumni were Burt Reynolds and Lee Corso of Espn (or maybe Corso coached there)

It's been decades, but when I was college age one great thing about FSU was females outnumbered males, which was the opposite of UF. I don't know if that still stands. Just checked- FSU is still 57% female. Probably stems from many many decades ago when FSU started as a female only school.

So what do you have against football coaches? LOL...I talk with college kids everyday and its funny you can show 2 kids the same scenario and get 3 different opinions.....do you remember that a knucklehead you were at 18? I sure do...its a freaking miracle any of them agree on anything...If Wisconsin isn't his deal then try FSU...Some kids swear by Notre Dame others swear at it, the same with Harvard, Bama, etc.....it all good, let the kid decide and move on. Covid only opened up some eyes...life is short, enjoy your college years...the time of your life kid.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

OldBallCoach, I gather that you’ve chosen coaching as a profession and done quite well at it. I hope you didn’t take my not knowing two coaches by name as a slight; it wasn’t my intention. Fwiw, except for a few hockey and tennis players, I just don’t follow sports.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:55 pm

So what do you have against football coaches? LOL...I talk with college kids everyday and its funny you can show 2 kids the same scenario and get 3 different opinions.....do you remember that a knucklehead you were at 18? I sure do...its a freaking miracle any of them agree on anything...If Wisconsin isn't his deal then try FSU...Some kids swear by Notre Dame others swear at it, the same with Harvard, Bama, etc.....it all good, let the kid decide and move on. Covid only opened up some eyes...life is short, enjoy your college years...the time of your life kid.
At 18 and beyond I was a total knucklehead. The U.S. army saved me, I can't thank them enough. He knows it's on him to work through FSU. Thanks for supporting him.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 pm OldBallCoach, I gather that you’ve chosen coaching as a profession and done quite well at it. I hope you didn’t take my not knowing two coaches by name as a slight; it wasn’t my intention. Fwiw, except for a few hockey and tennis players, I just don’t follow sports.
All good...sometimes its good when people dont know your name...LOL
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

OH nothing at all! I'm a big college football fan. Now the fact that they are FSU coaches is a strike against them (as I went to UF).

Speaking of Gators when I first saw your user name "oldballcoach" I wondered if you were THE "OBC" as in Gators but I reckon not.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Here here! I absolutely remember what a moron I was at that age, so I don’t fault others for not being “fully formed” at that age. Honestly, it sounds like this particular kid is being successful, and doing the right things, despite his unhappiness. It’s very likely his idea of transferring is *the right idea for him*. Not for everybody , but for him.

OldBallcoach is right. Life is short, enjoy it. If you’re not happy where you are, be someplace else.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

Wow this post has an odd political bent that I would think would be moderated. But apparently not! Anyway good luck to the kid!
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

bstevlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:22 pm
Last summer, fall and winter Downtown Madison near the university looked more like Beirut or Belfast than Madison.
OK, this thread is getting more bizarre with each new post.
30west

Post by 30west »

Im willing to bet that the kid has never been to Tallahassee. If you want to go to school in Florida, for God's sake, pick a school near the beach.
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

30west wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 pm Im willing to bet that the kid has never been to Tallahassee. If you want to go to school in Florida, for God's sake, pick a school near the beach.
FSU has a satellite campus in Panama City. They do not offer his major. The money won"t work for UM. No he has not been to Tallahassee but he has been to the Panhandle beaches and loved them. He pointed out that he will 90 miles from beaches not 1100 miles. So I give him some credit for thinking that out. :idea:
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

bstevlin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 pm 18 year old grandson is transferring from UW Madison to Florida State. He has about 53 credits if all of his AP courses are counted and the 32 credits he earned from his freshman year. His GPA IS 3.79 higher if AP credits are counted. He was in bio science at Madison, but will enroll in the actuary science program at FSU. When he enrolled at Madison the family thought he would go in to actuary science program because of his strong grades in AP calc A and B. and interest in business. His parents supported his biology tryout, but he understands unless he goes into healthcare he is sentenced to a life time of meager earnings. He does not care for the administration at UW and the city of Madison. It is important to him to be able to lift weights and run outside to relieve stress, neither was available to him because of weather or gym availability. Tallahassee is an inconvenient minimum 6 hour flight from his hometown. His parents are not to pleased. FSU is about $7000 more if all fees are tallied, maybe a little less if he can get scholarship money. He understands he may lose credits transferring from Madison to FSU. FSU alums and other folks, any constructive thoughts will be appreciated.
With UW-Madison having a top-10 math dept., and Madison being the location of the headquarters of 3 insurance companies, why does he need to transfer to FSU?
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:18 pm
With UW-Madison having a top-10 math dept., and Madison being the location of the headquarters of 3 insurance companies, why does he need to transfer to FSU?
He had a bad experience at Madison his freshman year that affected his health. He asked his parents for the opportunity to change schools. FSU has a good actuary program not rated as high as Madison but good enough. Grades, passing actuary tests and internships are the most important criteria for employment. One of his friend's Dad is a consulting actuary who makes a very nice salary said FSU is fine.
Last edited by bstevlin on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

JustGotScammed wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:13 am get a better looking romantic partner
*laughing* Did you read that in the university catalog?
Northern Flicker

bstevlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:48 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:18 pm
He had a bad experience at Madison his freshman year that affected his health. He asked his parents for the opportunity to change schools. FSU has a good actuary program not rated as high as Madison but good enough. Grades, passing actuary tests and internships are the most important criteria for employment. One of his friend's Dad is a consulting actuary who makes a very nice salary said FSU is fine.
FSU is a fine school. My personal philosophy would be that an aspiring actuary might do better to major in math rather than actuarial science. It provides a broad, fundamental foundation for an actuary, and offers a variety of other opportunities if someone decides they want to do something in a mathematical field other than being an actuary.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

FSU dad here x 2.
Tallahassee is an inconvenient minimum 6 hour flight from his hometown.
FWIW, a six hour drive isn't any great deal either!

It's an excellent school, but is not what it used to be. Neither is Tallahassee.

Yes, it can (and does) get very cold in Tallahassee. Not International Falls cold, but hard freezes happen. It also has a very real hurricane risk.

Consider the safety of your young student. Tallahassee is a crime ridden city, terribly mismanaged by prior mayor Gillum. Only 6% of places in the USA are worse for crime than Tallahassee.

Tallahassee rates an "F" for crimes and is not a safe place to live, even on or near campus.
You know you're in trouble when Tallahassee crime is on par with Chicago! Over 90% of cities nationwide are safer than Tally.

https://www.areavibes.com/tallahassee-fl/crime/
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
msi

Post by msi »

bstevlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:48 pm He had a bad experience at Madison his freshman year that affected his health.
That's a perfectly valid reason to transfer.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

56% of students are now female so it’s the norm now…and covid may make it higher…

https://hechingerreport.org/the-pandemi ... m-college/
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

Tallahassee is not very near any beaches. If the grandson is interested in the outdoors, he should learn to love salt marshes, swamps, alligators, and longleaf pine forests. The Apalachicola National Forest, right next door to the city, provides excellent hiking opportunties (also ticks, chiggers, and heat), and the clear springs are wonderful for canoeing. I don't think it is wise to transfer to a place that you have never visited, especially if the main point of transferring is for the environment. Tallahassee, both in its physical and cultural environment, is more like south Georgia than like what people typically think of as "Florida."
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Swampy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 am FSU dad here x 2.

It's an excellent school, but is not what it used to be. Neither is Tallahassee.

Yes, it can (and does) get very cold in Tallahassee. Not International Falls cold, but hard freezes happen. It also has a very real hurricane risk.

Consider the safety of your young student. Tallahassee is a crime ridden city, terribly mismanaged by prior mayor Gillum. Only 6% of places in the USA are worse for crime than Tallahassee.

Tallahassee rates an "F" for crimes and is not a safe place to live, even on or near campus.
You know you're in trouble when Tallahassee crime is on par with Chicago! Over 90% of cities nationwide are safer than Tally.

FSU grad here, daughter received master's degree at FSU and grandson currently there. I definitely agree that in regards to crime, something you should consider.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Topic Author
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Youngblood wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:48 am
Swampy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 am FSU dad here x 2.

FSU grad here, daughter received master's degree at FSU and grandson currently there. I definitely agree that in regards to crime, something you should consider.
I am sure my GS is not aware of the crime problem in Tallahassee and FSU. I doubt that would have changed his mind. If his parents would read the comments you posted they would be mortified. What does your GS do to stay safe? Does your GS have a car? GS is going to live in a complex across the street from the campus.
Northern Flicker

I think it is ridiculous that a Wisconsin resident used to the Wisconsin winters and with the requisite academic chops cannot complete a degree at UW-Madison or another UW campus. Life throws problems our way and we develop resilience by learning how to solve them by experience. I would offer to contribute the in-state tuition level at a Wisconsin school towards out-of-state tuition at a public university in another state in the absence of a compelling reason for such a plan, which I've not read.
gips

Post by gips »

bstevlin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm
30west wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 pm Im willing to bet that the kid has never been to Tallahassee. If you want to go to school in Florida, for God's sake, pick a school near the beach.
FSU has a satellite campus in Panama City. They do not offer his major. The money won"t work for UM. No he has not been to Tallahassee but he has been to the Panhandle beaches and loved them. He pointed out that he will 90 miles from beaches not 1100 miles. So I give him some credit for thinking that out. :idea:
I think you're giving him too much credit, 90 miles may as was well be 1100 miles, let's see how many times he spends 4 hours rt to get to the beach. In any case, he's made his decision, I'm sure he'll do well academically.

best of luck,
Beach

Post by Beach »

ronno2018 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:26 pm Wow this post has an odd political bent that I would think would be moderated. But apparently not! Anyway good luck to the kid!
Either the comments are being deleted out by the moderator or people are tip toeing around the obvious. Why do you think people are moving to Florida in droves?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ From what I see, one comment was removed. The rest are people are tiptoeing around the politics. This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.