Three Day Weekend in Ann Arbor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Three Day Weekend in Ann Arbor

Post by Dougiefresh »

Hey BH’s
Will be visiting UM in mid January. Just the two of us.
Need some ideas:
How to get from Detroit Airport and is it easy to get around in Ann Arbor? Do we need to rent a car or is public transportation a viable option?
Where to stay? Nothing terribly lavish, still, we like our comfort.
Where to eat?
Things to do? We’re going to see some college hockey, so the evenings are spoken for.
Thanks
02nz

Re: Three Day Weekend in Ann Arbor

Post by 02nz »

Honestly, for this kind of query TripAdvisor or just Google is usually a better bet. Hotel pricing and availability vary a lot, so much so that a recommendation from someone who stayed somewhere 7 years ago isn't really going to help you. Figure out where generally you want to stay and look for well-rated hotels on Booking.com, Hotels.com, and/or TripAdvisor.

For transportation, Google Maps shows most public transit options. So for example it took me about 2 seconds to find that Michigan Flyer operates between Detroit Airport and Ann Arbor for just $12.
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Done that. Sometimes locals or those who don't review on line have input.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Dougiefresh wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm Hey BH’s
Need some ideas:
How to get from Detroit Airport and is it easy to get around in Ann Arbor? Do we need to rent a car or is public transportation a viable option?
Where to eat?
Things to do? We’re going to see some college hockey, so the evenings are spoken for.
Thanks
We live outside A2.

https://www.theride.org/services/airport-service for trip to A2. Of course we drive... MetroCar if you want a limo vs bus.

Hotel depends on whether you want to walk to Yost or take the hotel shuttle or Uber. Several hotels in downtown, more expensive than up by Plymouth Road and 23 or down by State Street and 94.

Eat? Original Cottage Inn on East William. Order a deep dish with sesame seed crust. Sampler is good. Grizzly Peak, Red Hawk, HopCat.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

I spent a few days at the Residence Inn in Ann Arbor in 2018 - it was exactly what you’d expect, staff was helpful and a bunch of fun restaurants in the area. Not luxurious by any means, but exactly what I needed.

Post by 123 »

Pre-Covid Zingerman's was a great place for lunch. They used to run three locations, including a restaurant, but they may be down to two now. A lot of baked goods, for which they also have a mail order catalog. Friends recommended them to us and we tried all three locations (at the time) with excellent results.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

It's been a long time since I've been to Ann Arbor, but here are some recs for old, well established restaurants.

Lunch - Zingerman's Deli. It's the most iconic food establishment in Ann Arbor. You'll experience some sticker shock when you see their prices, but their profit margins are razor thin b/c they use the absolute highest quality ingredients. Their reuben is the most popular pick.
https://www.zingermansdeli.com/menus/

Lunch/Late night eats - Panchero's. Their burritos are fantastic. When you order, they take a fresh ball of dough, flatten it to burrito size and throw it on the griddle. Only place I've seen that makes fresh tortilla and it makes a big difference.
https://www.pancheros.com/menu

Bar - Ashley's. Incredible selection of craft beers. Bell's Oberon is a popular Michigan beer.
http://www.ashleys.com/untappdannarbor.html
RichK

Post by RichK »

As others have mentioned, if you want to skip the rental car, the Michigan Flyer bus is the cheapest transportation to the airport at $22 round trip. It drops you at the main bus station in downtown A2. Uber from the airport would be around $35-40 each way. The bus system is good, but it sometimes takes a while to get to your destination depending on routes; some of the routes don't run on the weekends. I suspect you might be relying on Uber. So public transportation can be done, but a rental car likely would still would be more convenient and maybe not much different in cost overall.

As for things to do, depending on your taste, there are several excellent museums on campus. The Museum of Art is top drawer, the Kelsey Museum of Archeology across the street is excellent, and the Museum of Natural History which recently was relocated into a new building and completely redone is very nice. I also recommend you take a few minutes and go to the Law Quad to see the Law Library. These museums have been closed for Covid, but that shouldn't be an issue in January.

Restaurants are plentiful,
I agree with jayjayc's comments on Zingerman's Deli including sticker shock and quality of ingredients. RickBoglehead's comments are also on point.

Some restaurants to try downtown for lunch include Avalon Cafe and Kitchen, Frita Batidos (Cuban,Burgers), and Mani Osteria (Italian, Pizza). For dinner, there are a lot of good choices, and it of course partially depends on your wallet and what you're in the mood to eat.

If you haven't been to Yost Arena for hockey, you're in for a treat. It's an old building built in 1923 but modernized (somewhat). Only 6600 capacity; with a balcony everyone is pretty close to the ice. When the students get going, it's LOUD. Lots of fun with usually some excellent hockey.
zeep

Post by zeep »

I'd add that the sandwiches and portions at Zingerman's are huge. You can easily share a sandwich and side, or pack a lunch for the next day. Well worth it. The baked goods and deli are fantastic. We've even done mail order several times.
leehamster

Post by leehamster »

If you stay at Residence Inn downtown or the Graduate, you can walk most of downtown and the main campus. You can walk to Yost for hockey, though it's a fair distance. If you don't stay that close, you'll be taking a lot of Ubers all over -- this is the midwest, things sprawl and it's designed for people with cars.

I second the University art museum -- nice place, nice collection.

Check to see if the men's basketball team will be in town, and if you can get tickets. They will be very good next year. Michigan has a lot of top sports teams, if you want to get adventurous, check out swimming and diving or gymnastics, whoever is competing at home while you're there.

Lots of good bars and decent restaurants down on Main Street. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYn41PerLok
KillerPortfolio

Post by KillerPortfolio »

I'll second the museum of natural history and in general just walking around campus, especially the law quad.

For breakfast Angelo's is an absolute classic, and Afternoon Delight is also fantastic.

For lunch or dinner I highly recommend the burgers at Frita Batidos, the black bean burger is amazing even if you're not vegetarian. Slurping Turtle has very good ramen noodles. The Ann Arbor area has a large Indian population and therefore has pretty good Indian food, I recommend Shalimar on Main Street. Another must try is Pizza House, the Chicago stuffed pizza is delicious.

For fancy dinner the Chop House on Main Street is a great steakhouse. Right next door is La Dolce Vita which is a fancy place for desserts and well worth it. Vinology if you're into wine is supposed to be amazing but I haven't been.
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

Need some ideas:
Where to eat?
Thanks
Born and raised. Haven't lived there in years though. Zingermans is good but local places off radar also include and Blimpy Burger and the Fleetwood Diner (aka Silver Diner) (try the hippie hash...great). The Arboretum is beautiful this time of year. Shop at Nichols Arcade. Take a kayak/coanoe trip down the Huron River.

Farmers market is incredible and nearby is a very unique mall downtown called Kerryton. Anyone remember the toy store there in the 80s?

Is there still the used record stores? Highly reccomend them. Used to be a place called Stairway to Heaven.

On campus, Bell tower and fountain is very cool. You used to able to stay on campus (anyone)..they had their own little hotel at the Michigan League. Google Inn at Michigan League.
Last edited by netrammgc on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

Need some ideas:
Where to eat?
Thanks
Bus system is fantastic..best I've been on
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Need some ideas:
Where to eat?
Thanks

AA is a nice town and pretty easy to navigate. I'm sure you'll enjoy the hockey. Rent a car from DTW for ease and know there are plenty of chain hotels that should serve you well. I'm not that up on local eateries but do yourself a favor and find Chelsea MI (about 15 miles west of Ann Arbor) and have dinner at The Common Grill.
DarkNyte

Post by DarkNyte »

Lived there for 6 years. The only place that I make sure to eat at when I visit is Angelo's for breakfast. I recommend the deep fried french toast and the eggs Benedict, but everything I have tried there is great.
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

Need some ideas:
Where to eat?
Thanks
Just caught the mid January part. Museums are top notch. They've hit the good ones above but would defintely hit the natural history museum and the archeology museum. If there's snow, you can try and see if you can go tobogganing/ sledding with the locals at a Veterans Park (Vets Park). Oh, the childhood memories!!
Topic Author
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Thanks BH's
I knew that i could count on you!
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

Need some ideas:
Where to eat?
Thanks

Lived 14 years in Ann Arbor. These are old haunts I would visit again:

1. Zingermann’s (already mentioned)
2. Grizzly Peak (besides their micro-brews, try their Cherry Bread Pudding on my behalf; never quite found an equivalent that hit the same ‘sweet spot’ anywhere else).
3. Blue Nile (Ethiopian restaurant; excellent every time and remembered by many out-of-town visitors we have taken there).
4. Tios (Mexican food; a very unique, truly excellent “wet burrito” that, again, I have not found an equivalent to anywhere else; always liked by those discovering it for the first time).
5. Jerusalem Garden (cheap eats but good fare, excellent falafels and other Middle Eastern fare; was habit forming on my frugal postdoc budget but also good enough to visit with family later many times and enjoy)
6. Angelo’s for breakfast/brunch! (It’s customary to see a long line outside Angelo’s; it’s worth the wait).

Don’t know how these places are functioning currently in pandemic mode. If they retain their former character and offerings, you won’t be disappointed.

I’m sure there are many other options now in A2.

Enjoy. Safe travels.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Dougiefresh wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm Will be visiting UM in mid January. ... is public transportation a viable option?
Waiting for a bus in the depth of winter may provide you vivid and exciting memories, but it probably won't be time-efficient. Renting a car is good, if you already get regular exposure to winter driving.

Some of us are better at driving during haboobs, hurricanes, and monsoons. We are the the ones who should patronize Uber/Lyft during a Michigan winter.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.