How long to wait for a passport to arrive?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ctjudge

Re: How long to wait for a passport to arrive?

Post by ctjudge »

In CA, regular processing (non-expedited)
9/17 Application mailed USPS Priority to Irving, TX
9/22 Check cashed & In Process
10/5 Approved & Shipped from Little Rock, AK
10/7 Received
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

an_asker wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm [...]
Another update:

DD's passport is here too - it probably came Saturday as the accompanying flyer paper appears to have gotten wet and it had rained here a couple of times since Saturday ... though I was pretty sure I had checked mail on Saturday :oops: Thankfully the passport appears to be OK!

The timeline for the two:

DS applied 08/07 got it in 27 days (New Hampshire center)
DD applied 08/11 got it in 40 days (Miami center)

Neither of the old passports are back though.
For the couple of folks following this specific saga:

DD's old (cancelled) passport came back a couple of weeks back. DS's old (cancelled) passport never came back.

Don't know if I should be worried of anything someone might be able to do with it - obviously, it has been pilfered as it should have definitely come back by now (his new passport was delivered before DD's was).

[Edited to add]: DS's old passport came back. We are good now :-)
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I mailed my old passport and non-expedited application on July 12th and I just received my new passport today on October 25th. I have yet to receive my old passport back which I'm hoping I do because it has my Chinese and Brazilian visas in it (not that I have any plans on going to either country in the near future).
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

fizxman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:26 pm I mailed my old passport and non-expedited application on July 12th and I just received my new passport today on October 25th. I have yet to receive my old passport back which I'm hoping I do because it has my Chinese and Brazilian visas in it (not that I have any plans on going to either country in the near future).
Based on my data point (right above your post), I would say don't panic unless it is December, and you still haven't gotten it back. :sharebeer
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Got my old passport today. Got my new one about three weeks ago.

What do I do about my old passport? Is there any reason to keep it?
Every day I can hike is a good day.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Carefreeap wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:51 pm Got my old passport today. Got my new one about three weeks ago.

What do I do about my old passport? Is there any reason to keep it?
This should be its own thread. I keep my old passports. But I'm a packrat, don't need a reason lol!

One reason - if you have an active/valid visa on your old passport, you might need to keep it and take it with you if you are visiting that country.

I cannot think of any other reasons off the top of my head.
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

An expired (and undamaged) US passport may be still acceptable for a number of uses, such as applying for a new/replacement passport, returning to the US on a direct flight after losing a valid passport abroad, or applying for certain benefits (e.g health insurance or medicaid).

They used to be acceptable for proving work eligibility but no longer.

Obviously do not rely on an expired passport for any of these, but as long as there is a safe storage place available, the burden to keep these tiny documents is so small that I will keep them forever.
Last edited by richardglm on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

richardglm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:55 am An expired (and undamaged) US passport may be still acceptable for a number of uses, such as applying for a new/replacement passport, returning to the US on a direct flight after losing a valid passport abroad, or applying for certain benefits (e.g health insurance or medicaid).

They used to be acceptable for proving work eligibility but no longer.

Obviously do not rely on an expired passport for any of these, but as long as there is a safe storage place available, the burden to keep these tiny documents is so small that I will keep them forever.
Generally speaking airline will not accept an expired passport to return to US except as provided by this exemption due to State department backlog in processing new passports.

https://www.state.gov/return-travel-on- ... passports/
U.S. citizens currently overseas whose passports expired on or after January 1, 2020, may be able to use their expired U.S. passport for direct return travel to the United States until December 31, 2021. Certain criteria apply, and we encourage U.S. citizens to confirm their eligibility for traveling on an expired passport at COVID-19 Traveler Information prior to finalizing travel arrangements.
If passport is lost overseas and previous expired passport doesn't meet exemption above, airline will not board passenger. Passenger will have to apply for an emergency limited validity passport at a US embassy/consulate. They are usually printed on-site and is valid for 1 year and can be used for general travel (eg not limited to return to US only). Regular passport fee is charged. If renewed for a regular passport before expiration, no additional fee will be charged; essentially you are getting (almost) 11 years for the price of a regular 10 year.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Mailed: Sometime in July
Check cashed: Aug 3
Passport arrived: Oct 22
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Two more data points, of recent experiences (of relatives)

New first-time passports for 2 children
- Dropped off 2 applications at Post Office: 8/4
- Received passports: 10/18

Passport - old one had expired years ago so had to reapply
- Dropped off application at Post Office: 8/30
- Received passport: 10/5

Surprised the later application got a passport first but maybe because the person was already "in the system" ?
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:15 am Generally speaking airline will not accept an expired passport to return to US except as provided by this exemption due to State department backlog in processing new passports.
Oops, correct. Noted the specific details of the exemption.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Thought it would be helpful to add some recent data points to this thread. Decided to pay for the expedited service since I just notice mine expires in Feb and I had a possibility of needing it in February or March.

Put app in mail: 12/2
Check cashed: 12/8
Received passport: 12/15

Never expected them to move that quickly! Of course who knows if anyone will be able to travel after omicron but at least I'm covered for a passport for the next 10 years...
travelbirder

Post by travelbirder »

Just did my passport renewal. I expedited it but probably didn't need to.
It only took 4 weeks!
I'm good to go for the next 9 years 6 months!
Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott »

Just received mine.

Ordered 3 weeks ago to the day, expedited.
hudson

40 Days

Post by hudson »

Passport Services deposited my check on December 15th for a renewal.
No extra handling services were requested.
Passport arrived yesterday on January 24th.
Bottom Line: 40 days
Last edited by hudson on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

fizxman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:26 pm I mailed my old passport and non-expedited application on July 12th and I just received my new passport today on October 25th. I have yet to receive my old passport back which I'm hoping I do because it has my Chinese and Brazilian visas in it (not that I have any plans on going to either country in the near future).
In previous years, the returned expired US passport had holes drilled through it, which made it obvious the passport
was invalid. Would that not also invalidate any visa still inside it?
Super Hans

Re: 40 Days

Post by Super Hans »

hudson wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:39 am Passport Services deposited my check on December 15th for a renewal.
No extra handling services were requested.
Passport arrived yesterday on January 24th.
Bottom Line: 40 days
+1. Almost precisely the same dates for renewing a kid's passport.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

VanGar+Goyle wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:45 am
In previous years, the returned expired US passport had holes drilled through it, which made it obvious the passport
was invalid. Would that not also invalidate any visa still inside it?
The visas have their own expiration dates so as long as one has their valid passport and their expired passport with the valid visas, they'll be fine. When I went to China, this is what my boss had to do and he made it in and out of China without any issue. It's just one more thing to keep track of.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Put in regular mail 12.27 with the extra $20 raised fee, not expedited. $130 funds taken from checking account 01.04. Nothing yet, nor expected yet. We'll see.