How long to wait for a passport to arrive?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Raybo

How long to wait for a passport to arrive?

Post by Raybo »

My passport was nearing expiration and I sent it in for renewal (expedited). It was approved and printed in a timely fashion and I was informed on the Passport Office's website that it had been mailed and to expect it the week of May 31. It is now 2 weeks after that and the passport hasn't arrived.

I am wondering if others had this problem and I simply need to wait longer or if I should submit the "I didn't get my passport" form (DS-86). I don't want to cause extra work, but I don't like being without a passport.

Has anyone else recently gotten a passport renewed and received it several weeks after the Passport Office said was should have arrived?
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
MaxDakota

Re: How long to wait for a passport to arrive?

Post by MaxDakota »

We just got a new passport and it was received on the expected date. Hope you get it soon!
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Here is a passport thread from earlier this year.

My renewal in January took 33 days from start to finish. As I recall, it did arrive when I was expecting it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=343411&hilit=passport
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I submitted my renewal paperwork in late January 2020 and received my passport in early March 2020.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Not a passport but I have had other mail take 2-3 weeks longer than it should to show up but it eventually did. I might give it another week before reporting it "lost".
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

I had a similar experience with the passport not arriving. I called and they verified that it had been mailed. So, they sent a new one which did arrive. The original passport never arrived. The benefit of reporting in a timely fashion is that they flag the passport as missing/lost/stolen so that it can't be used. The new re-issued passport will have a different number.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Invest4lt wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 pm I had a similar experience with the passport not arriving. I called and they verified that it had been mailed. So, they sent a new one which did arrive. The original passport never arrived. The benefit of reporting in a timely fashion is that they flag the passport as missing/lost/stolen so that it can't be used. The new re-issued passport will have a different number.
I’ve tried calling but the system is so overwhelmed that you can’t get through. I’m not talking a long wait time. I’m talking disconnection.

I’ll wait another week and then start the “lost” process.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

If it was mailed using USPS, then using Informed Delivery can be helpful.
It should show letters ( not packages or large envelopes ) that should arrive soon.
The Passport envelope may be too big to see using Informed Delivery, but it does warn you about
other packages and oversized letters.
Last edited by VanGar+Goyle on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well, you pay a little bit, we're a little bit tough. | You pay very much, very much tough. | You pay a too much, we're too much a tough. | How much you pay? ... Well, then we're plenty tough. - Marx
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

Once the passport office received my expired passport it went like clockwork. From the date they received it (early 2021) to the time the new passport arrived in my mailbox - it took a little less than 3 weeks.

The slow part was USPS getting it to the passport office. I sent it by priority mail - which tracks the mailing. It took a full 2 weeks to get to the destination. For some odd reason it got hung up in Houston. For awhile I thought they lost it. If I ever renew this one I might send it certified instead for a higher level of tracking.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

VanGar+Goyle wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 pm If it was mailed using USPS, then using Informed Delivery can be helpful.
It should show when letters ( not packages or large envelopes ) that should arrive soon.
The Passport envelope may be too big to see using Informed Delivery, but it does warn you about
other packages and oversized letters.
Spouse and I renewed earlier this year. The new passport and old passport came in separate envelopes, but they were not really oversized, slightly larger than a standard sized envelope. They were viewable up in USPS informed delivery.

But USPS was kind of slow both ways (use sending via priority and the passports being send back to us via snail mail).

If I was the OP, I would wait until the end of June before reporting it.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I sent in my expired passport - and just received my new one.

It was like a black hole - I sent it certified mail - received confirmation it arrived. Check never cashed - finally after a couple months - I recieved notice - it was approved - check cashed - and it quickly arrived.

End to End:

March 24th - passport picture taken - I filled out everything - dropped off at postoffice -I was proud to do it all on a hunch - and all in one day. Just an impulse - I need to get this updated.

It arrived on June 12 - I received email from state.gov on June 10th and 11th.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

It’s really backed up. Any experience from last year is not valid. I have an minor application from end of March still being processed. Took a month just for the check to be cashed. Latest update is “expedited” gets you a 8 week turnaround. 12 weeks for regular.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

We just got both of ours renewed and it took slightly less than 8 weeks from the time we mailed them in until we received the new and old ones back. It took about 6 weeks until I saw the checks cashed and it showed up in their system, then they arrived about 2 weeks after that. We did not expedite.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Raybo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:35 pm
Invest4lt wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 pm I had a similar experience with the passport not arriving. I called and they verified that it had been mailed. So, they sent a new one which did arrive. The original passport never arrived. The benefit of reporting in a timely fashion is that they flag the passport as missing/lost/stolen so that it can't be used. The new re-issued passport will have a different number.
I’ve tried calling but the system is so overwhelmed that you can’t get through. I’m not talking a long wait time. I’m talking disconnection.

I’ll wait another week and then start the “lost” process.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
If you have a trip coming up, don't delay too long in starting the "lost" process, but I would not start it until the last day of the expected turn around period, here's why....

My renewal two years ago, not expedited, arrived just before the end of the expected turnaround time noted on their web site.

My DW started her renewal closer to our departure date so she paid the expedite fee and she received hers slightly under the advertised amount of time.

Renewals are something that could easily and efficiently be privatized if customer service was a value of the agency.....
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Just to add a datapoint, I sent in my passport for renewal on 5/28, via standard priority mail from central Texas. I registered for updates online and got an email on 6/19 saying my passport was "In Process". My bank reported the check cashed on 6/21, and I got an email early on 7/3 saying it's been approved and to expect it by 7/11. Later yesterday afternoon, my USPS Informed Delivery says I've got a package arriving "today" from Passport Services/Dos Hot Springs. This was unusual because the email arrived at 3pm, whereas the USPS emails usually arrive in the morning. I figured that this was the mailing returning my old passport, but to my shock, it was my shiny new passport in a priority mail envelope. So 5 weeks and a day, for regular non-expedited service, w/ one long weekend in-between. I expect this means I'll get my passport card and return of the old passport in the next week or so.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Another data point … I sent in my passport renewal in early April and received my new passport about 1.5 weeks ago. My old passport was returned 2-3 days ago.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Raybo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:38 pm My passport was nearing expiration and I sent it in for renewal (expedited). It was approved and printed in a timely fashion and I was informed on the Passport Office's website that it had been mailed and to expect it the week of May 31. It is now 2 weeks after that and the passport hasn't arrived.

I am wondering if others had this problem and I simply need to wait longer or if I should submit the "I didn't get my passport" form (DS-86). I don't want to cause extra work, but I don't like being without a passport.

Has anyone else recently gotten a passport renewed and received it several weeks after the Passport Office said was should have arrived?
New passports are mailed back using priority mail unless you pay for something faster. It should take less than a week to get back. What does USPS tracking indicate? Was it picked up by USPS?
ragnathor

Post by ragnathor »

For some reason I can't explain, the US passport website states mailing time can take up to 6 weeks.

We applied with expedited service and shipping for a child on June 1st, showed up in process as of June 7th. I think we may be out of luck for international travel on July 13th. Same day appointments are booked. Staying on hold for 2 hours to be told nothing can be done. I put in a constituent service request, we'll see if that can help us out.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

A news article last week said they are pretty backed up due to folks suddenly planning travel again and 22 weeks was typical.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Follow Up:

As advised up-thread, I waited 4 weeks for the passport to arrive. I sent an email using the form on the Passport Application website identifying my application number and that I hadn't received my passport. I heard nothing back.

About a week later, I downloaded the proper form to report non-delivery of my passport and was preparing to fill it out, knowing that as soon as I sent it, the passport would arrive. The next day the passport did, in fact, arrive from UPS. I hadn't paid for UPS delivery and wondered why it hadn't come from the USPS, which is the delivery method mentioned on the Passport Application site.

I have no idea why my passport arrived by UPS. It was an overnight delivery, so the passport wasn't languishing in UPS's system. Did this passport get returned from the USPS? Did it never get sent? Did the Passport Office simply assume that it had been lost and overnighted me a new one?

The answers to these musings are not forthcoming. My recommendation for those applying for a passport is to pay for expedited service AND delivery. Good luck, either way.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Raybo wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 pm Follow Up:

As advised up-thread, I waited 4 weeks for the passport to arrive. I sent an email using the form on the Passport Application website identifying my application number and that I hadn't received my passport. I heard nothing back.

About a week later, I downloaded the proper form to report non-delivery of my passport and was preparing to fill it out, knowing that as soon as I sent it, the passport would arrive. The next day the passport did, in fact, arrive from UPS. I hadn't paid for UPS delivery and wondered why it hadn't come from the USPS, which is the delivery method mentioned on the Passport Application site.

I have no idea why my passport arrived by UPS. It was an overnight delivery, so the passport wasn't languishing in UPS's system. Did this passport get returned from the USPS? Did it never get sent? Did the Passport Office simply assume that it had been lost and overnighted me a new one?

The answers to these musings are not forthcoming. My recommendation for those applying for a passport is to pay for expedited service AND delivery. Good luck, either way.
What does UPS site indicate when you plug in the tracking number? It should tell you pickup date and location.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

seawolf21 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:04 pm
Raybo wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 pm Follow Up:

What does UPS site indicate when you plug in the tracking number? It should tell you pickup date and location.
And what is the issuance date on the passport?
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

The original May issue date.
JstSomeGuy

Post by JstSomeGuy »

snackdog wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 pm A news article last week said they are pretty backed up due to folks suddenly planning travel again and 22 weeks was typical.
I sent my old passport, form & photo in on June 10th, it was delivered on the 14th and the passport status website showed it as In Process as of the 16th. I paid for expedited processing & shipping (think total was ~$187) and I received the new passport Jul 3rd.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

Sent my renewal application on 5/28 via Priority Mail and it was delivered on 30th. Nothing showed up on status website until they cashed check on July 8. Online status states they received application on July 8 and they are processing routine application within 12 weeks. I wonder if those 12 weeks only start from July 8. Did not pay for expedited which I'm now regretting. Was thinking about going to London mid-September.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Snezz1e wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm Sent my renewal application on 5/28 via Priority Mail and it was delivered on 30th. Nothing showed up on status website until they cashed check on July 8. Online status states they received application on July 8 and they are processing routine application within 12 weeks. I wonder if those 12 weeks only start from July 8. Did not pay for expedited which I'm now regretting. Was thinking about going to London mid-September.
I'm curious -- did you fill in the pdf form or use the "form filler" version? We both mailed it on the same day and I got mine back on 7/3 (non-expedited). I did mine w/ the "form filler", which puts a giant QR code on the front. With the form filler, the state department has a digital version of all the information when they receive your paper copy. I imagine that saves time on some data entry and checking.

I'd actually been worried -- after I sent it in, I noticed the printing instructions were to print single sided. I'd printed double-sided and, based on some reports, thought that they might be returning it to me unprocessed.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:44 pm
Snezz1e wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm Sent my renewal application on 5/28 via Priority Mail and it was delivered on 30th. Nothing showed up on status website until they cashed check on July 8. Online status states they received application on July 8 and they are processing routine application within 12 weeks. I wonder if those 12 weeks only start from July 8. Did not pay for expedited which I'm now regretting. Was thinking about going to London mid-September.
I'm curious -- did you fill in the pdf form or use the "form filler" version? We both mailed it on the same day and I got mine back on 7/3 (non-expedited). I did mine w/ the "form filler", which puts a giant QR code on the front. With the form filler, the state department has a digital version of all the information when they receive your paper copy. I imagine that saves time on some data entry and checking.

I'd actually been worried -- after I sent it in, I noticed the printing instructions were to print single sided. I'd printed double-sided and, based on some reports, thought that they might be returning it to me unprocessed.
I filled mines out using form filler version.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

ragnathor wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:06 pm For some reason I can't explain, the US passport website states mailing time can take up to 6 weeks.

We applied with expedited service and shipping for a child on June 1st, showed up in process as of June 7th. I think we may be out of luck for international travel on July 13th. Same day appointments are booked. Staying on hold for 2 hours to be told nothing can be done. I put in a constituent service request, we'll see if that can help us out.
Any luck?...my story is very similar to yours and looks like we are out of luck and will need to cancel everything. Very frustrating to say the least.
ragnathor

Post by ragnathor »

We had to cancel the trip. Came 2 days too late. I think the constituent service request expedited things but took a week from contact - wish we'd been aware of it earlier.

Luckily most of it refundable.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

No trips planned, but I mailed in my renewal application today (August 9) via priority mail. My passport expires on December 20 or so; I went ahead and paid for expedited processing after reading this thread earlier.

Update

My $200 check was cashed quite quickly (August 12)

Second Update

I checked my status using the online tool (August 15) and found the following:

Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 08/13/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.
Last edited by CardinalRule on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Westwing

Post by Westwing »

Posted this on another thread.
Mailed mine off 5/13/2021
Check cashed 6/9/2021
Received passport 8/6/2021 = 12 weeks and one day.

Our county office now has posted to plan on 18 weeks
leviathan

Post by leviathan »

mailed 7/1
check cached 8/3
shipped 8/9
expected delivery 8/12
regular processing, expected long wait, sooner than expected. no update on status until yesterday.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Highlighting my update above, from the online tool as of August 15 (expedited handling):

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

leviathan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am mailed 7/1
check cached 8/3
shipped 8/9
expected delivery 8/12
regular processing, expected long wait, sooner than expected. no update on status until yesterday.
I would say you got lucky.

For my kid

- face to face application submission 8/11
- website acknowledges receipt as of 8/25
- website is advising 12 weeks for processing plus up to six weeks for delivery (so looking at 18 weeks from 8/25) :oops:

Fortunately, no international trips planned (kid in school).
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Applied 8/23
Check cashed 8/31
In process 8/31

Paid for Expedited processing.

File locator starts with 34 which is Charleston SC office - one of the slowest in the country.
leviathan

Post by leviathan »

an_asker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:33 am
leviathan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am mailed 7/1
check cached 8/3
shipped 8/9
expected delivery 8/12

For my kid

- website is advising 12 weeks for processing plus up to six weeks for delivery (so looking at 18 weeks from 8/25) :oops:

That's the standard text for the regular processing. It doesn't mean much. My status also has "You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 12 weeks." But is was more like a few days (after check cashing). The other thread report many cases of faster processing times than expected recently. You may be pleasantly surprised to get it soon.
McGowan

Post by McGowan »

Confirmed receipt at Passport mailroom May 4
Processed June 14 - check cashed
Still waiting .....
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

kd2008 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:38 am Applied 8/23
Check cashed 8/31
In process 8/31

File locator starts with 34 which is Charleston SC office - one of the slowest in the country.
How do you know which office a file locator number is associated with? And how do you find out which is faster and which slower?
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

leviathan wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:31 pm
an_asker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:33 am [...]

For my kid

That's the standard text for the regular processing. It doesn't mean much. My status also has "You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 12 weeks." But is was more like a few days (after check cashing). The other thread report many cases of faster processing times than expected recently. You may be pleasantly surprised to get it soon.
I hope so, but looks like there is more science to it than meets the eye. Let's see ...
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

an_asker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:45 am
Check cashed 8/31
In process 8/31

How do you know which office a file locator number is associated with? And how do you find out which is faster and which slower?
Mostly from reddit and visajourney

https://www.reddit.com/r/Passports/sear ... on&t=month

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topi ... t=10527720 for office locator. The first two numbers are location indicator.
soc2003

Post by soc2003 »

I applied for my son's passport renewal in late April, regular delivery, not expedited. I received the new passport in early August. However, I still haven't received the old (expired) passport. :annoyed I suspect passport processing maybe faster now with summer travel over and Delta limiting travel.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

kd2008 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:40 am
Check cashed 8/31
In process 8/31

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topi ... t=10527720 for office locator. The first two numbers are location indicator.
OK here's an update.

DS's passport arrived in the mail today. In 27 days door to door without expedited processing. The website updated the application receipt date as 8/24. His application went to the New Hampshire center; he had applied from up north.

DD's passport - still waiting. She applied second week of August, and the application was received 8/25. The application receipt date in her case is 8/25. However, it has gone to Miami; she applied locally. Lord knows how long they take down there!
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

Sent for renewal early June, unfortunately did not pay to get it expedited. Check cashed. No signs of a passport and I am scheduled to travel in 4 weeks. Got an appointment at my local passport office next week to get this expedited.

Last month I renewed my child’s passport and paid for expedited. Got it back in 10 days.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I mailed my renewal paperwork in May 28th and received the new passport last week (mid Sept), so nearly 3.5 months. Not bad and I didn't have anywhere to travel with it so no issue. License plates for car took about the same amount of time. Seems these postal-bound government clerical offices are super backed-up due to people working from home.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Mailed mine for renewal late july and just got replacement 2 months later.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

an_asker wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:27 pm
kd2008 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:40 am
Check cashed 8/31
In process 8/31

OK here's an update.

DS's passport arrived in the mail today. In 27 days door to door without expedited processing. The website updated the application receipt date as 8/24. His application went to the New Hampshire center; he had applied from up north.

DD's passport - still waiting. She applied second week of August, and the application was received 8/25. The application receipt date in her case is 8/25. However, it has gone to Miami; she applied locally. Lord knows how long they take down there!
Another update:

DD's passport is here too - it probably came Saturday as the accompanying flyer paper appears to have gotten wet and it had rained here a couple of times since Saturday ... though I was pretty sure I had checked mail on Saturday :oops: Thankfully the passport appears to be OK!

The timeline for the two:

DS applied 08/07 got it in 27 days (New Hampshire center)
DD applied 08/11 got it in 40 days (Miami center)

Neither of the old passports are back though.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Applied at USPS 8/23
Expedited + express shipping paid
In process 8/31
Contacted Senator 9/18 with travel date of 10/1
They said wait till 4 days before travel

9/21 Passport approved
Supposed to be here by 9/23
No email update. Manually checked today
File locator starts with 34 Charleston SC

Thank you
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

6/14 Application mailed USPS Priority
7/14 Check cashed & In Process
9/20 Approved & Shipped

Regular processing (non-expedited)
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

In CA:
Applied with USPS 8/12 for an underage child passport.
Received the passport 9/15.
Regular process (non-expedited).
kelway

Post by kelway »

jayjayc wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:28 pm 6/14 Application mailed USPS Priority
7/14 Check cashed & In Process
9/20 Approved & Shipped

Regular processing (non-expedited)
Good! because I'm right behind you. Thanks

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 07/20/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 12 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.