Seeking a very firm sofa/couch and armchair/recliner - recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
megaroth

Seeking a very firm sofa/couch and armchair/recliner - recommendations?

Post by megaroth »

Hi,

With back issues getting worse, the time has come to replace my very old, way too "cushy" furniture with a *very firm* sofa/couch and armchair (or recliner). At this point, I'd almost rather sit on the floor than on the furniture, so I'm hoping to buy something ASAP. I'd like to keep the budget to $3k max (for the couch and chair combined), but I'm open to spending somewhat more if it's truly worth it.

Thanks for your recommendations and thoughts - they will be appreciated. :beer
livelovelaugh00

Re: Seeking a very firm sofa/couch and armchair/recliner - recommendations?

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

I once wanted a church bench with comfortable cushion.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

You will probably need to buy a custom couch where you are able to order fabric and firmness according to your preference. I bought from Ethan Allen and purchased firm cushions. The sofa worked out well.
leeks

Post by leeks »

megaroth wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:02 pm Hi,

With back issues getting worse, the time has come to replace my very old, way too "cushy" furniture with a *very firm* sofa/couch and armchair (or recliner). At this point, I'd almost rather sit on the floor than on the furniture, so I'm hoping to buy something ASAP. I'd like to keep the budget to $3k max (for the couch and chair combined), but I'm open to spending somewhat more if it's truly worth it.

Thanks for your recommendations and thoughts - they will be appreciated. :beer
Ikea would stay under your desired price range and some of their stuff is quite firm. You can try everything out in the showroom.
Topic Author
megaroth

Post by megaroth »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 pm I once wanted a church bench with comfortable cushion.
Thanks, that could be the perfect "couch" for me, too, as long as it had a very firm cushion.
Dottie57 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 pm You will probably need to buy a custom couch where you are able to order fabric and firmness according to your preference. I bought from Ethan Allen and purchased firm cushions. The sofa worked out well.
Thanks, I've never shopped at Ethan Allen before, so I'll add it to my list. That's great that they have customization options.
leeks wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 pm Ikea would stay under your desired price range and some of their stuff is quite firm. You can try everything out in the showroom.
Thanks, good to know about the firmness. I was having a hard time figuring that out from their website. Definitely like the Ikea prices.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Not sure how accurate it is but I just saw a story saying "don't expect to receive your sofa anytime soon".
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
leeks

Post by leeks »

A simple wooden bench with a cushion is something you can buy as outdoor furniture. They make loveseat and sofa sizes too. There is no reason outdoor furniture could not be used inside.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Why don't you go to your local furniture retailers and take a look?
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

Highly recommend an Ekorness Stressless chair and/or sofa!

Check Scandinavia Designs — ours had lots to choose from.

Been using their chairs for 40+ years.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Topic Author
megaroth

Post by megaroth »

Thanks to all for the thoughts and ideas.
rich126 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:38 am Not sure how accurate it is but I just saw a story saying "don't expect to receive your sofa anytime soon".
Noted, guess that shouldn't be surprising given how widespread the supply chain issues are these days. Hopefully I can find something that's in-stock and/or can be delivered quickly.
leeks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 am A simple wooden bench with a cushion is something you can buy as outdoor furniture. They make loveseat and sofa sizes too. There is no reason outdoor furniture could not be used inside.
This is an interesting idea.
squirm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:31 am Why don't you go to your local furniture retailers and take a look?
I'll probably go to a few places (or more if I really have to), but it's time-consuming and tedious, so it would be great to minimize the amount of time spent shopping. But probably no substitute for being able to try it out in person, and having to return furniture bought online would be even less fun.
WoodSpinner wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:37 am OP,

WoodSpinner
Great tip. I've never tried one. This will definitely go on my "try it out in person" list.
snowox

Post by snowox »

I just ordered a couch like your mentioning and found several quality ones on Wayfair. Got a super stiff couch ,as I said high quality we love it and was 800$. Worth a look.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

WoodSpinner
I have some and my back appreciates it, but I don’t think it can fit in OP’s stated budget.

OP, if you can stretch for it, you won’t be sorry.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Ekorness Stressless is fantastic for back issues, but definitely break OP's $3K max combined budget. Just the couch alone does at $5K+ (we have one and love it).