Nordic Skiing / Snowshoeing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wings5

Nordic Skiing / Snowshoeing

Post by Wings5 »

Hello Everyone,

Do any warm-weather Bogleheads go cold in winter to cross country ski or snowshoe?

We live in Texas, and we’re looking for some winter vacation ideas. Grew up downhill skiing once a year but got hurt almost every time, and we’d like to try cross country skiing, especially with the kids. Are there any places in Colorado, or the upper Midwest, that are geared to host beginners for vacation? We’re looking at snowshoeing, too.

Relatively fit, we row and everyone rides road/mountain bikes a fair bit. For anyone familiar, I’m thinking the way Bentonville, AR is for bikes, but for snowshoes or Nordic skis.

Thanks!
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
5280Tim

Re: Nordic Skiing / Snowshoeing

Post by 5280Tim »

We snowshoe in the winter. There are endless options fairly close to Denver, St Mary’s glacier, Echo Lake, etc. basically any summer hiking trail. As you go out i70 to Summit County, there are quite a few Nordic Centers. There’s also a place near Breckenridge where you can go dog sledding! We’re looking forward to trying that this winter.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I used to cross country ski regularly, and one time was at this resort. I was just there for one day, and I enjoyed it.

https://beavermeadows.com/

That was over 30 years ago, so it's not recent experience.

Many downhill ski resorts also have nordic areas, but they will have a different "vibe".

There is a nordic area near Red River; Enchanted Forest XC Ski Area.

https://enchantedforestxc.com/
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
bberris

Post by bberris »

There are lots of places to cc ski in Minnesota. Our snow is a little more reliable than Texas, but early season can be iffy. Some of the parks in the Twin Cities have snow making, groomed trails for classic and skate, and equipment rentals. Almost all of the 3 Rivers Parks have skiing on natural snow, some with grooming. For a more scenic experience skiing at the North Shore and along the Gunflint Trail (a road) can be great. I've heard Bearskin Lodge is a good place.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

https://travel.usnews.com/features/cros ... -in-the-us

Of the three listed in CO, all offer lessons, rentals and also snowshoeing (which I also do, but Nordic skiing is much more fun.)
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We snowshoe a few hundred miles each year, but we're in Utah.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Wings5 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 pm we’d like to try cross country skiing, especially with the kids. Are there any places in Colorado..... that are geared to host beginners for vacation? We’re looking at snowshoeing, too.
Thanks!
Most of the major ski resort have great xc ski areas- Aspen, Breckenridge, and Frisco are at the top of my lists. Most of those same places will have snowshoeing. Aspen and Snowmass have snowshoe trips with a naturalist at the top of the mountain that are terrific. Others may have as well. All three have nordic centers with lessons. If cost matters, you could look to rent a big house near Frisco and have access to Breck, Keystone and Frisco nordic centers.

If money doesn't matter (much), then go to Devils Thumb, it is less resortish.

There are excellent lower cost, less "ski resort oriented" places , like Grand Mesa but the expectation is that you are already a good xc skier.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Topic Author
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

Thanks everyone! Just doing some clicking and noticed that several parks in Minneapolis / St. Paul have skis for rent during the winter months. Something like that may be a fun vacation time, too.

We appreciate all the suggestions!
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel