New Computer/Security

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

New Computer/Security

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I am about to bow to the demands of the 21st century and start doing things online other than surf and visit forums. Right now, I don't do banking, purchases, medical online. I don't game, have cable or even have a smart phone. Frankly, I have a bit of a technology phobia - seriously, but that gets into other issues - I can handle buying and selling a home, major home repairs, but things I don't understand like technology make me upset.

So, my idea is to hire a local company which handles these types of things for individuals and businesses and have them come in and install a new apple pc and needed security. I like apple. I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask.

One thing I have considered is keeping the old computer for items not related to purchasing, banking and so forth.

What should I look for, ask? I want to do it right, not "probably good enough" which is what my nephew and niece say. That shows to me they are not sure. I realize nothing is secure in an absolute sense.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
jebmke

Re: New Computer/Security

Post by jebmke »

I’m not an expert but in my opinion, good security is more about user behavior than it is hardware/software. In managing a volunteer network, getting people to use strong passwords, multi factor authorization (this was a training issue inasmuch as they had no choice here), and keeping their credentials secure (instead of taping them to the laptop bezel) was a major effort for us.

You will definitely want to have a password manager if you do not already have one.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:47 am I am about to bow to the demands of the 21st century and start doing things online other than surf and visit forums. Right now, I don't do banking, purchases, medical online. I don't game, have cable or even have a smart phone. Frankly, I have a bit of a technology phobia - seriously, but that gets into other issues - I can handle buying and selling a home, major home repairs, but things I don't understand like technology make me upset.

So, my idea is to hire a local company which handles these types of things for individuals and businesses and have them come in and install a new apple pc and needed security. I like apple. I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask.

One thing I have considered is keeping the old computer for items not related to purchasing, banking and so forth.

What should I look for, ask? I want to do it right, not "probably good enough" which is what my nephew and niece say. That shows to me they are not sure. I realize nothing is secure in an absolute sense.

The " not "probably good enough" which is what my nephew and niece say. That shows to me they are not sure. I realize nothing is secure in an absolute sense."

Is answered by your last statement that "nothing is secure" your niece and nephew are correct here, not that they aren't sure because you can't be sure of every single attack vector out there.

I'm not sure what you're hoping in having a "company come install a pc" it sounds like absconding the responsibility of learning good security practices and having someone to blame if something goes wrong.

As others have said the best security is behavioral. No amount of software or expert company will keep you from falling victim to a phising scheme or divulging login credentials.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I agree behavior is the biggest obstacle for security, but it is far from the only one. The proper setup of your computer is important, and includes software products to protect you, passwords, etc., and there are security guidelines to follow. You need to understand these yourself.

Before hiring someone to do this for you, I suggest you do your own research to learn what is needed for a safe and secure computing environment. Once you do that, you may decide you can do this yourself. But even if you decide to use someone else to do the install, you will understand things better and know how to manage your computer.

There is a wealth of information on the Internet about security and there are frequent topics about security on this forum. Welcome to cyberspace!
Garfieldthecat

Post by Garfieldthecat »

+1 to everyone saying behavior is the most important thing. All the security in the world doesn't help if you click on a bad link in a phishing email.

The most important thing IMHO is to make sure your internet router has it's password changed from the default to something long. Same with any wifi networks that you might have. The best is to use a passphrase, like "lovehikinglongtrails" or something. A longer password is always better. Good passwords for your accounts is important too.

You can write it down to remember, since in this kind of case, if someone is in your house, them reading your password is the least of your problems. I literally write mine on a sticker that I put on my router so I can find it when needed.

That and just not opening links or attachments in emails, will take care of like 99% of security issues. But always know if someone wants to spend the time and money, they can get into your accounts. But there are better ways to spend that time and money, like hacking into a credit card company, or other company, then hacking into a single persons account.

just my 2 cents.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

No, I am not trying to avert responsibly or place blame. I have PTSD and like many people with PTSD, as I age my symptoms are getting worse, thus, I want some sense of comfort with a technology I don't know much about. Thus again, if anyone has suggestions about what to ask and look for, it would be helpful.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I know Windows, not Apple. A Windows 10 PC with Microsoft Defender, which is part of Windows, is fine. A high speed internet connection with a router with built-in firewall is fine.

Nothing to pay a firm for. Most security issues are from users that lack intelligence and click on links in emails or go to sites that they should not.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I would ask whether you really need a full computer? It seems to me that an iPad with a keyboard case that includes a trackpad would be the simplest and most secure option for you. If you do not have familiarity with traditional Mac or Windows operating systems, the limitations of an iPad will probably not bother you because you won't even be aware of them.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

>> "I like Apple."
I would suggest digging into this a bit more and ensure you understand what that means from a GUI and user experience. This isn't an iPhone or iPad, and if you go with a Mac, assuming you have at least basic experience with Windows - all of that goes out the window. Macs operate very differently than Windows. If you haven't used Windows, or are up to learning the Mac, that's fine - just be aware of the possible complexity you may be adding.

>>So, my idea is to hire a local company which handles these types of things for individuals and businesses and have them come in and install a new apple pc and needed security.
You can do that, the problem is that "good security" isn't just about buying good hardware & software and installing them correctly. 99% of "good security" is on you... and what you do on that computer be it Windows or Mac... and practicing good security hygiene. It isn't about which brand of antivirus is better.

>>I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask.
1) You need to decide Windows vs. Mac, then decide on budget and what PC you're going to buy.
2) You need a good Internet connection - cable, fiber, etc.
3) You need a good router/firewall, along with a wireless access point.

That's all easy. The problem is, even with perfect choices on 1-3, if you click on one malicious link in a phishing email, you're going to be hosed regardless. So most of this comes down to your training.
Point

Post by Point »

On the Mac, open up system preferences: 1) turn on Firewall; 2) turn on Filevault; 3) use a long complex password for login; 4) only allow apps downloaded from the App Store.

Download Keeper or a different password vault app. Use it. Don't replicate passwords across different web sites or apps. Just don't.

Use 2 phase authentication.

Don't give anyone your passwords.

Setup an admin account on your Mac, and a separate user account on your Mac. Use the admin account for system updates, application installation, and maintenance. Don't browse the web or do anything on the internet with your admin account. Have a separate password for your admin account than your user account.

Keep your operating system and apps updated.

Doing these things will go a long way to making your system secure.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I've had a mac mini for more than 7 years which has worked flawlessly. At work, of course, I could just call "network support." I'd like a resource like that. Maybe that's wishing for the moon?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:17 am I've had a mac mini for more than 7 years which has worked flawlessly. At work, of course, I could just call "network support." I'd like a resource like that. Maybe that's wishing for the moon?
do you have a network problem?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

I'm not sure why Mac or Windows PC would be required for your use case.

You sound like the perfect use case for a Chromebook. It's the most secure thing you can use for surfing the internet. It updates quickly and automatically. It's cheaper. If you use a password manager on it to help you not get phished on malicious domains, that's about as secure as you can get.

I get the impression you won't be using any apps, or complex video editing, or doing pretty much anything other than surf the internet. A Windows PC or Mac will be overkill on price, and it sounds like you won't be using any of their extra features. A Chromebook is about as secure as you can get for surfing the internet, which combined with price is why they are used so frequently at schools.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

If you're admittedly less of a tech-interested person as you mentioned, I would definitely recommend Apple products.

I've used everything extensively - PCs (still do) were my main for 15 years, Chromebooks, and macs, and the Macs are hands down the easiest, most reliable, and most secure for the less-experienced user.

Current-gen macs and iphones are very good with regards to computer security. You obviously still need to use discretion while surfing/downloading stuff, but in terms of getting hacked or someone breaking into your system or stealing it, they do an excellent job. Their devices, both laptops and phones, are now built around security, with fingerprint and facial recognition for fast logons (you can still enter a passkey if you're wearing a mask, etc) so it's unlikely that you'll leave your device open too long.

I used to be a fan of the Chromebooks, but I've been helping my daughter use hers throughout COVID, and I've decided for sure that it's just not worth it for the sacrifices. Chromebooks are appealingly cheap, but you usually get what you pay for - I even bought her a mid-higher range CHromebook that was $400+, but it' doesn't hold a candle in terms of quality of the screen (Macs are amazing!), speed (yes, you will def notice the lag, especially with loading youtube or videos), and weird glitches that pop up since not all websites and software play well with Chromebook.

After using a macbook, the Chromebook experience would be at best considered 'significantly handicapped'. I'd definitely recommend you just pay the very reasonable premium and go for the M1 Macbook Air at $999, which is literally near or at top-of-class for everything (screen, performance, build, etc.) and which will last you easily 5+ years and still be outstanding at that point.

Schools do use Chromebooks for their low cost, but the ones they have and my child's school are so appallingly bad/slow that literally no student used them over the COVID break - every last one of them subbed it out for another device. Not all Chromebooks are this bad, but it's unfortuante that schools have to go for the low-cost option that nobody ends up using.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

Point wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am On the Mac, open up system preferences: 1) turn on Firewall; 2) turn on Filevault; 3) use a long complex password for login; 4) only allow apps downloaded from the App Store.

Download Keeper or a different password vault app. Use it. Don't replicate passwords across different web sites or apps. Just don't.

Setup an admin account on your Mac, and a separate user account on your Mac. Use the admin account for system updates, application installation, and maintenance. Don't browse the web or do anything on the internet with your admin account. Have a separate password for your admin account than your user account.

The above are all excellent suggestions. Not having admin rights should be the minimum.
Using a password vault and individual passwords for every site (not just variations of the same password) is ideal.

For my 2 cents:
The "best" defense for a home user (or corporate user) is knowledge.
Knowing what to look for and knowing what to avoid will go as far as any hardware or setup you can do.

Here is some information from NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), they set the security standards for the government:
https://www.nist.gov/itl/applied-cybers ... ssTraining
rich126

Post by rich126 »

i think you should do a few basic things:

1. Don't click on links in emails
2. Don't download "free" programs. Some are ok, but others contain stuff in them. Few people know what a hash is, much less check a hash on a file to verify it is what it claims to be
3. For cell phones - Also don't click on links in text messages
4. If you aren't sure an email is legitimate, call the bank/cc/etc. up directly and ask, or go to their web site, log in and send a secure message from there.
5. Do not use the same password for every web site. And try to either use random passwords or passwords that are not straight from the dictionary
6. Don't plug in USB sticks if you find them, or you get them at some event. They are notorious for having malware on them.
7. Find some software and use it to do regular backups, ideally just clone the drive to another. SuperDuper is one excellent program (and yeah it is free and violates run 2 above).
8. Log out of any sites you log into when you are done. Just closing the browser or tab isn't as effective.

The clicking on links is a huge issue and one that is sometimes hard to avoid. I work for a large company and they tell you don't click on links and will occasionally send out test emails to people. BUT they then send out legitimate emails telling me to click on a link to do a survey, view a video, etc. The inconsistency in messaging is nuts, especially to the non-tech folks who barely know what a browser is. I tell my GF just use another browser and she just looks at me with a lost look (she works in HR) and I have to remember some folks no nothing about computers.

A person at home that is just using their computer for email, browsing, etc. are unlikely to be directly targeted by a hacker. Instead what happens is someone downloads free software which then comes with either adware or malware and at a minimum will slow down you computer. Or someone clicks on links in emails which can create all kinds of issues. And ideally don't open emails from people you don't know.

Last year I got a very realistic email that appeared to be from Chase but it wasn't. Sometimes you can move your mouse cursor over a link (don't click on it) in an email and it will pop up the web address and you can easily see it isn't legitimate.

When I used to stay at my brother's house it would drive me crazy using their Windows computer because it almost always had some kind of adware on it and greatly slowed down the computer (and possibly did more) and would take me hours to fix it but they were too lazy to care about doing things safely and continued to download crap, especially their young son so I gave up trying to help them.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I don't have any firsthand experience with them, but I know that Best Buy has something called the "Geek Squad" you might want to look into. They could be the handholding solution you're looking for. I have a neighbor who used the Geek Squad around the time Windows 10 was coming out and she was pleased with them. Keep in mind that they work for Best Buy and will probably want to sell you things, but that's their business and is part of the package.

I suggest doing your banking on line. I say this because I've had problems with USPS and don't consider USPS to be secure at all. After some bad experiences involving USPS I now pay all of my bills on line. The bills arrive electronically and are paid electronically.

Use the security precautions others have suggested, especially long passwords - the longer the better - and two-factor authentication.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

If you get email that purports to be from a financial institution, NEVER EVER click on any link contained in the email. EVER. Instead, close the email, open a new browser tab and initiate a login yourself rather than following a link in an email.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

rich126 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:14 am
The clicking on links is a huge issue and one that is sometimes hard to avoid. I work for a large company and they tell you don't click on links and will occasionally send out test emails to people. BUT they then send out legitimate emails telling me to click on a link to do a survey, view a video, etc. The inconsistency in messaging is nuts, especially to the non-tech folks who barely know what a browser is. I tell my GF just use another browser and she just looks at me with a lost look (she works in HR) and I have to remember some folks no nothing about computers.
I wholeheartedly agree. I feel any link I was not expecting is a potentially dangerous link.

One of my pet peeves about link clicking in emails is Fidelity. "You have new shareholder reports" with a the link takes you to a Fidelity Logon Page that is NOT the normal Fidelity.com start/logon page. Is this linked logon page the real McCoy or not? I'd prefer the email to just say (with no link) "go to your Fidelity Account and logon to review these documents" and then after you logon a line/pop-up appears saying you have new reports/trades/ect to view. Yes, I can find those new prospectuses after I do a normal logon, but finding them is somewhat tortuous and not intuitive.

That contrasts to Schwab where at least the emailed link only takes you directly to the prospectus and it which outside of Schwab's protected logon sphere.

Both schemes create risk/confusion, but IMO the Schwab scheme is at lot less risky to the user.

I personally move any even slightly suspect emails to a spam folder before opening it, which disables all links/pictures/scripts. From there I review the email's from address and links, and I even it times I review the raw data. Poor English grammar is a pretty quick giveaway.
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

I enthusiastically concur with Gadget's recommendation to get a Chromebook. Doing so outsources most of the non-behavioral security issues to Google, which has a strong motivation to get them right. And you'll spend almost no time on system support -- just a monthly reboot when prompted, taking about three minutes, to upgrade the OS with the latest features and fixes.

Lightheir says he has soured on Chromebook quality, but there *are* some really nice ones available if that matters. Wirecutter has some recommendations at https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... hromebook/.

I have a desktop Mac for programming and heavy-duty photo editing, but I also have a mid-range Chromebook for use when traveling (even sometimes just to another room). I have no worries about using it, with reasonable care, to access financial sites.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Thank y'all. When it comes to my actions, I suppose I am fairly safe. Any email with an attachment automatically goes to junk, but I don't click on links. I even tell vendors to cut and paste their proposals into the body of the email so I don't have to click or cut and paste a link. If I find something online I want to buy, I tell my nieces and they order it for me. (I do their yard work and help sort out non tech things like when a tree fell on their house, that's my comfort zone.)

The phrase "non-behavioral security issues" from the above post caught my attention. I suppose that's part of my concern. I have a lot to think about now.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Chromebooks IMO have one fatal flaw - uncontrolled obsolescence. Google controls how many updates a device can get. Most have no clue this exists.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 0366?hl=en

Android has the same issue. I bought a Samsung tablet in 2020, but it's a 2019 version so I gave up a year of updates.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 am Android has the same issue. I bought a Samsung tablet in 2020, but it's a 2019 version so I gave up a year of updates.
I finally had to abandon Android. All the OEMs have their own flavor so the update stream is slow and eventually stops even if Google is updating their native Android. I had two Google tablets fail (hardware) so not impressed with their hardware.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 am Chromebooks IMO have one fatal flaw - uncontrolled obsolescence. Google controls how many updates a device can get. Most have no clue this exists.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 0366?hl=en

Android has the same issue. I bought a Samsung tablet in 2020, but it's a 2019 version so I gave up a year of updates.
Depending on the system you have, you may be able to install Linux on it and still have a functioning computer. Not the same thing but something.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:47 am I am about to bow to the demands of the 21st century and start doing things online other than surf and visit forums. Right now, I don't do banking, purchases, medical online. I don't game, have cable or even have a smart phone.
It sounds like what you're planning on doing is just doing more sophisticated stuff on additional web sites. You might consider getting an iPad, to be honest. Any software you install will be vetted by Apple. Of course, as others have noted, behavior of the user is the weak point of security.

Other than doing more through web sites, what else are you looking to do?
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:35 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 am Android has the same issue. I bought a Samsung tablet in 2020, but it's a 2019 version so I gave up a year of updates.
I finally had to abandon Android. All the OEMs have their own flavor so the update stream is slow and eventually stops even if Google is updating their native Android. I had two Google tablets fail (hardware) so not impressed with their hardware.
For tablets, it does feel like the Android camp has basically given up. Google discontinued the Nexus tablets a long time ago. I know Samsung and others are still making Android tablets, but does anyone - even Android enthusiasts - care?

iPad is unquestionably the way to go if you're after a tablet nicer than Amazon's very decent (Android-based) Fire tablets. The software support is amazing - the iPad Air 2, from 2014, will get updates at least through iPadOS 15, through summer 2022, a length of time that's absolutely unheard of in the Android world.
Johnnyappleseed

Post by Johnnyappleseed »

If you are concerned about financial transactions online the best protection is much simpler than what is being suggested above. Have a PC that you keep updated with the latest patches that you ONLY use for financial transactions. Do not surf the internet on it, do not do email on it, do not install other programs on it, do not watch Netflix on it.

All other comments people suggest are great for normal security practices online. But by segmenting out bank / Vanguard / Fidelity / TSP ... transactions to a system that you only use for those types of transactions you will eliminate almost every vector a malicious "hacker" has to infect your system and gain access to your financial accounts.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Mac is a good decision, stick with that. Get the M1 with least storage space, dont use the internal storage, store your data on an external HD, enable filevault encryption, use a cloud service like google drive (secured with mfa) to replicate the drive to the cloud. That way your computer becomes disposable and can be easily replaced or factory reset

Use a password manager for websites you access
Use MFA where possible
If your primary email linked to critial accounts like financial instuitions cant be secured with mfa, consider a switch to gmail and lock down account with mfa

Embrace Digitial minimalism, delete accounts you dont use, keep track of what you do use (password manager makes this easy). When I helped my dad, he had multiple online backup accounts he had long forgotten about with basically a treasure trove of personal information, secured with the same 5 character password he used everywhwre
This content is for entertainment purposes only
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

For those saying Chromebooks are slow and outdated quickly, I feel like you aren't doing a fair comparison on cost. If you're comparing a $400 Chromebook to a $2000 Mac it will definitely seem slow. But once you get to the higher range Chromebooks ($500-$1000) like the PixelBook Go or Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2 with the upgraded processors, they are lightning fast. It's just that the average person who buys a Chromebook usually gets the cheap to mid range options all below $400.

The Pixelbook Go gets updates until June 2026. The newer Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2 gets updates until June 2028. That seems pretty reasonable to me for the price.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2 as my daily driver. On sale for $450ish, it was quite a bargain. I have a very old original Google Pixelbook that also still works great. I got my kids a Lenovo Duet, which is admittedly slower. But for the price and size it's pretty great for kids.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

chris319 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 am
I suggest doing your banking on line. I say this because I've had problems with USPS and don't consider USPS to be secure at all. After some bad experiences involving USPS I now pay all of my bills on line. The bills arrive electronically and are paid electronically.
We had a letter with a check stolen at a postal box at the Post Office. It was altered and cashed at our bank. We were made whole from that incident but I now do everything possible to pay bills online. I do not trust the USPS to safely handle checks. Online is much safer!
chris319

Post by chris319 »

One reason these computers are so lightweight is that they don't have much in the way of a battery. A big battery will add weight. Further, the batteries they do have are not replaceable. Eventually, as happens with all rechargeable batteries, it will no longer hold a charge. Not being replaceable, the machine is dead. It won't even run off the AC mains, so you may as well throw it away.

I had this very thing happen with a little machine I had which served me well and was as light as a feather — until I did a Windows update and that killed the battery. I had always run it off the AC mains specifically to save battery life. I am thinking of getting another one, as cheap an off brand as I can find, say, under $200, and treating it as a disposable computer.

The same thing happens with electric razors. Eventually the battery will no longer hold a charge and cannot be replaced, so you may as well throw it away. Of course the manufacturers love this because you have to buy a new item every so often. :moneybag
zeppy

Post by zeppy »

I personally move any even slightly suspect emails to a spam folder before opening it, which disables all links/pictures/scripts.
I did not know that. Thank you very much.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

killjoy2012 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 am >> "I like Apple."
I would suggest digging into this a bit more and ensure you understand what that means from a GUI and user experience. This isn't an iPhone or iPad, and if you go with a Mac, assuming you have at least basic experience with Windows - all of that goes out the window. Macs operate very differently than Windows. If you haven't used Windows, or are up to learning the Mac, that's fine - just be aware of the possible complexity you may be adding.

>>So, my idea is to hire a local company which handles these types of things for individuals and businesses and have them come in and install a new apple pc and needed security.
You can do that, the problem is that "good security" isn't just about buying good hardware & software and installing them correctly. 99% of "good security" is on you... and what you do on that computer be it Windows or Mac... and practicing good security hygiene. It isn't about which brand of antivirus is better.

>>I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask.
1) You need to decide Windows vs. Mac, then decide on budget and what PC you're going to buy.
2) You need a good Internet connection - cable, fiber, etc.
3) You need a good router/firewall, along with a wireless access point.

That's all easy. The problem is, even with perfect choices on 1-3, if you click on one malicious link in a phishing email, you're going to be hosed regardless. So most of this comes down to your training.
I used Windows-based PCs for many years at work before getting a Mac at home for personal use. The transition was easy. I think someone would have more trouble going from Mac to Windows.

Also, you have already used Macs and are somewhat familiar with them. Why not just stick with something you are somewhat familiar with?
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:17 am I've had a mac mini for more than 7 years which has worked flawlessly. At work, of course, I could just call "network support." I'd like a resource like that. Maybe that's wishing for the moon?
If you are looking for a computer backed up by excellent support, Apple support consistently gets great reviews. The last time I checked Consumer Reports ranked them at the top for support.

I don't have a lot of experience using it because my Macs have presented me with very few problems. (I've had Macs for many years.) The one time that I did use it was just a few weeks ago. I got my help via their live chat system. They were very patient and thorough, they fixed my problem, and I was happy with the experience.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Point wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am On the Mac, open up system preferences: 1) turn on Firewall; 2) turn on Filevault; 3) use a long complex password for login; 4) only allow apps downloaded from the App Store.

Got a Macbook Air (M1) a few months ago. Mine was set to automatically update the OS and apps it it came with.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

RetiredAL wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:57 pm One of my pet peeves about link clicking in emails is Fidelity. "You have new shareholder reports" with a the link takes you to a Fidelity Logon Page that is NOT the normal Fidelity.com start/logon page. Is this linked logon page the real McCoy or not?
While this is a different issue than the one you bring up, when viewed in plain text, Fidelity links in emails are about a paragraph long. The extra gibberish is for tracking. In an email client like Thunderbird, message bodies can be viewed in plain text and Fidelity is not alone in these ugly-looking links. It's a different problem than whether the links are fraudulent, but the incessant tracking is one of the symptoms of the modern Internet.

As for the OP's question, the browser is the most common vector for malware. Concentrating first on learning to lock down the browser might be an easy first step. Going through the Preferences of a browser like Firefox would be a good first step.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

I feel times have changed a lot since a decade ago. It's really difficult (if not basically impossible) to get major viruses now.

Windows comes with Microsoft Defender that constantly updates by itself (3rd party anti-virus software are pretty much worthless and quite possibly even detrimental to many laptops now).
Macs don't have much viruses out there.
Chromebooks ... you can assume there aren't any viruses out there. It's really an achievement to get viruses with Chromebooks. I hate the limitations of Chromebooks though (a lot of software just aren't outright supported. it's very basic). And usually, Chromebooks tend to be lower end laptops so it might be frustrating to deal with video calls with Zoom, etc.
(I will take out linux distros because those are too much of a pain for anyone to deal with)

For everyday purposes, I think you can assume there won't be viruses anymore in any of the 3.

I would recommend in any laptop:
1. Download Chrome
2. Add UBlock Origin add-on: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... phjbkeiagm

As for user behavior:
1. Never send your bank account/etc to a 'Nigerian prince' (or to anyone for that matter. How do people fall for this?)
2. Never reply back your password to any e-mail (even if that e-mail looks like from banking) [including bank phone calls].
3. Deal with banking sites directly with the bank site. Any e-mail that looks fishy, just directly call the bank customer service.
4. Try to avoid downloading illegal files through questionable means (e.g.: pirated movies, etc.)
That's pretty much it.

I can't imagine how everyday users can get major viruses anymore on their computers.
Theses trillion+ dollar market cap companies have been pouring so much of their resources to prevent users from getting viruses and honestly, I don't think any small store today has the resources to compete (in creating a virus that will break these computers).
Times have really changed from a decade+ ago.
You can be fully confident that you won't get viruses on your laptops today.

Just accept Google, Microsoft, Apple will know everything about you in return. By using the Chrome browser, you pretty much agree Google will know all about you. And by choosing a Windows or Macbook, you also agree that Microsoft and/or Apple will know all about you.
For such 'small fee', you can rest assured you are fine with any decent computer today.
Local stores creating petty viruses just simply can't compete with the $$$ of these tech giants anymore.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

fwellimort wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm I feel times have changed a lot since a decade ago. It's really difficult (if not basically impossible) to get major viruses now.

Windows comes with Microsoft Defender that constantly updates by itself (3rd party anti-virus software are pretty much worthless and quite possibly even detrimental to many laptops now).
Macs don't have much viruses out there.
Chromebooks ... you can assume there aren't any viruses out there. It's really an achievement to get viruses with Chromebooks. I hate the limitations of Chromebooks though (a lot of software just aren't outright supported. it's very basic). And usually, Chromebooks tend to be lower end laptops so it might be frustrating to deal with video calls with Zoom, etc.
(I will take out linux distros because those are too much of a pain for anyone to deal with)

For everyday purposes, I think you can assume there won't be viruses anymore in any of the 3.

I would recommend in any laptop:
1. Download Chrome
2. Add UBlock Origin add-on: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... phjbkeiagm

As for user behavior:
1. Never send your bank account/etc to a 'Nigerian prince' (or to anyone for that matter. How do people fall for this?)
2. Never reply back your password to any e-mail (even if that e-mail looks like from banking) [including bank phone calls].
3. Deal with banking sites directly with the bank site. Any e-mail that looks fishy, just directly call the bank customer service.
4. Try to avoid downloading illegal files through questionable means (e.g.: pirated movies, etc.)
That's pretty much it.

I can't imagine how everyday users can get major viruses anymore on their computers.
Theses trillion+ dollar market cap companies have been pouring so much of their resources to prevent users from getting viruses and honestly, I don't think any small store today has the resources to compete (in creating a virus that will break these computers).
Times have really changed from a decade+ ago.
You can be fully confident that you won't get viruses on your laptops today.

Just accept Google, Microsoft, Apple will know everything about you in return. By using the Chrome browser, you pretty much agree Google will know all about you. And by choosing a Windows or Macbook, you also agree that Microsoft and/or Apple will know all about you.
For such 'small fee', you can rest assured you are fine with any decent computer today.
Local stores creating petty viruses just simply can't compete with the $$$ of these tech giants anymore.
Newer Macs have Gate Keeper, X-protect and some other features aimed at security. Not sure if it's true or not, but have heard that UBlock Origin causes problems for newer Macs.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

fwellimort wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm I feel times have changed a lot since a decade ago. It's really difficult (if not basically impossible) to get major viruses now.
I still consider javascript to be the biggest evil in browser security. Is that no longer true?
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

roamingzebra wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:44 pm
I still consider javascript to be the biggest evil in browser security. Is that no longer true?
I heard that too, so I tried disabling it. Found out there are a lot of things websites will not do without it. Many just don't function properly. Pretty annoying. Not sure how someone would be able to stand it being disabled for very long.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:44 pm
I heard that too, so I tried disabling it. Found out there are a lot of things websites will not do without it. Many just don't function properly. Pretty annoying. Not sure how someone would be able to stand it being disabled for very long.
I've found that a lot of sites that say javascript is required, actually do not require javascript. It takes a bit of experimentation to see how to get around their so-called requirement, but I've figured it out for most sites that I visit on a regular basis.

It's probably not worth it for most individuals, but I've learned a lot about website design by finding these new tricks.

It would be nice to know, however, if the "evilness" of javascript has lessened in recent years.
squirm

Post by squirm »

audioengr wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 am

The above are all excellent suggestions. Not having admin rights should be the minimum.
Using a password vault and individual passwords for every site (not just variations of the same password) is ideal.

For my 2 cents:
The "best" defense for a home user (or corporate user) is knowledge.
Knowing what to look for and knowing what to avoid will go as far as any hardware or setup you can do.

Here is some information from NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), they set the security standards for the government:
https://www.nist.gov/itl/applied-cybers ... ssTraining
Use 2FA whenever possible too.