Moving plants interstate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Moving plants interstate

Post by Cookiegirl »

Hi, we are moving from NY to FL, we are using a moving company, will they take our large houseplants or must we get rid of them? Hate to discard them,,,
fabdog

Re: Moving plants interstate

Post by fabdog »

you could of course ask the moving company you have selected what their policy is, but my recollection is no

Mike
mkc

Post by mkc »

Live things are something movers will not transport.

If you are thinking of transporting any yourself, check with the departments of agriculture for the states you are traveling to and through. Some, especially those with significant commercial agriculture enterprises like Florida, may have tight restrictions on plant material coming into the state due to transport of disease and insects.
sport

Post by sport »

As I recall from road trips to Florida, they have signs at the border stating prohibitions on the importation of plants.
Gill

Post by Gill »

When we moved from New York to Florida I carried a number of plants in the car. They made it but I almost killed all of them when I parked the car in front of the new Florida house with all the car windows closed. Didn't realize at the time how hot the inside of a car could get in the March Florida sun!
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Point

Post by Point »

Check with the department of Ag for all states your plants will be traveling though. Importation of pests affects economies.
celia

Post by celia »

Point wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:37 pm Check with the department of Ag for all states your plants will be traveling though. Importation of pests affects economies.
+1
And some states even have “banned” plants that are too aggressive and become fast-spreading weeds in certain climates. For example, here is a list for Miami-Dade County:
https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/media/sfylifa ... County.pdf

Learning to landscape/decorate with native plants is good for you and the environment. If you transport a plant that doesn’t normally grow in your new location or unknowingly has a few bugs or a disease on it, the bugs/birds/animals/microbes in the new location may not be adapted to keep that pest/disease/“weed” in check and it could spread and grow fast!

Does this sound familar per the last year?

For those who want to know more about the benefits of native planting, this is an excellent book:
https://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Home-Re ... my+&sr=8-3
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

When we moved, I hauled all the large potted plants in the vehicle I drove down... along with firearms which the moving company wouldn't haul either. Felt like driving in a jungle but all made it safely.
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Post by Cookiegirl »

Thanks everyone, looks like the plants will have to go, there’s no room in the car that we’re driving,,, too bad,, I’ll try to donate to friends
Thanks again for your help
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Cookiegirl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 pm Thanks everyone, looks like the plants will have to go, there’s no room in the car that we’re driving,,, too bad,, I’ll try to donate to friends
Thanks again for your help
If you happen to be leaving next week watch the weather carefully - it might get interesting for a couple of days.