Windows 11 [Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lazydavid

Re: Windows 11

Post by lazydavid »

FreeAtLast wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:57 pm Please correct me if my senile memory has failed me.....but didn't Microsoft have to get to a Second Edition of Windows 98 before it was "Great!"?
No you are absolutely right. 95 was awesome after OSR2 was released. 98 was a big step down from there, and then 98SE brought it back.
iamblessed

Re: Windows 11 might work on my Dell 2018 Optiplex 7050

Post by iamblessed »

hudson wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:32 pm After reading this discussion, I had to find out if my Optiplex would run Windows 11.
Dell support said to go to the driver page for my computer and look for a TPM Version 2.0 update driver.
That driver was available.
If I wanted to go to Windows 11 on my 3 year old PC (personal computer-IBM style), it would likely work.
Since Windows 10 is working well, I won't go to the trouble.

Bottom Line: Check with your computer maker and see if you can upgrade to TMP V 2.0....if interested.

Note: I think for many, TMP V 2.0 is keeping many PCs from upgrading to Windows 11.
I have a Optiplex 390. I hope I can run windows 11. I upgraded from 7 to 10. I don't know if a 390 can upgrade to 11 and will Microsoft let me upgrade again? What model Optiplex do you have?
hudson

Post by hudson »

iamblessed wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:39 am
hudson wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:32 pm After reading this discussion, I had to find out if my Optiplex would run Windows 11.
Dell support said to go to the driver page for my computer and look for a TPM Version 2.0 update driver.
If I wanted to go to Windows 11 on my 3 year old PC (personal computer-IBM style), it would likely work.

Bottom Line: Check with your computer maker and see if you can upgrade to TMP V 2.0....if interested.

Note: I think for many, TMP V 2.0 is keeping many PCs from upgrading to Windows 11.
I have a Optiplex 390. I hope I can run windows 11. I upgraded from 7 to 10. I don't know if a 390 can upgrade to 11 and will Microsoft let me upgrade again? What model Optiplex do you have?
iamblessed,
Mine is an Optiplex 7050.
This is where I started: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-u ... -0?lang=en
Then I went here to find the TMP V 2.0 driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us
I did not run the driver update as I'm not ready to go from Win 10 Pro to Windows 11. I'm assuming that since I can upgrade to TMP 2.0, that Windows 11 will work. After Windows 11 officially is released, there'll probably be a tool of some kind to check compatibility; I would run that before moving forward.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Anyone use os/2 back in the day?
hudson

Post by hudson »

squirm wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:24 am Anyone use os/2 back in the day?
I heard about it. I think we went from Dos 3.3, touched a little on Windows 3.11, and then Windows 95 big time.
OS2 was more for the heavy lifters? We were light lifters.
Last edited by hudson on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I didn't -- but my sister used to do development work on ATM software running on OS/2. I did use NT for quite a while. Solid system. My first programming experience was on System 360.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
02nz

Post by 02nz »

hudson wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:12 am

iamblessed,
Then I went here to find the TMP V 2.0 driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us
I did not run the driver update as I'm not ready to go from Win 10 Pro to Windows 11. I'm assuming that since I can upgrade to TMP 2.0, that Windows 11 will work. After Windows 11 officially is released, there'll probably be a tool of some kind to check compatibility; I would run that before moving forward.
For official support, you'll need an 8th-gen or later processor. The 7050 has a 7th-gen processor. The 390 is far earlier. (There is one, or maybe a few, 7th-gen processors for which Microsoft added support, but they're not found in the Optiplex line.)

Without official support, you'll need to do a clean install, and Microsoft has said update may stop at any time (whether they'll actually do that, we don't know.)
squirm

Post by squirm »

My friend used OS/2 back then on his home computer. But he was ultra nerd, so anything that wasn't mainstream as far as computers went, he'd swear by it. Although every time he showed me something about it, it would crash, and it didn't seem any quicker then Win 3.1/95. Eventually he admitted it was going nowhere and with few programs written for it, he switched to NT 4.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:50 am

iamblessed,
For official support, you'll need an 8th-gen or later processor. The 7050 has a 7th-gen processor. The 390 is far earlier. (There is one, or maybe a few, 7th-gen processors for which Microsoft added support, but they're not found in the Optiplex line.)

Without official support, you'll need to do a clean install, and Microsoft has said update may stop at any time (whether they'll actually do that, we don't know.)
I always recommend a clean install. In this case, I'd be required to (since I'm using an i7 6700k), but I'd do it even if I wasn't required to. I always buy an install disc so I can reinstall whenever I need to.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:56 am

iamblessed,

I always recommend a clean install. In this case, I'd be required to (since I'm using an i7 6700k), but I'd do it even if I wasn't required to. I always buy an install disc so I can reinstall whenever I need to.
I always do as well, but note the threat to end updates at any time. I don't think they'll go through with that part, at least for more recent (say 6th- and 7th-gen Intel) processors.

BTW the install disc is a totally obsolete way to do clean installs. Much better to download an ISO file or use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10), which will save you a lot of time downloading updates (since it'll have the latest major update, e.g., 21H1).
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 am BTW the install disc is a totally obsolete way to do clean installs. Much better to download an ISO file or use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10), which will save you a lot of time downloading updates (since it'll have the latest major update, e.g., 21H1).
This is a good idea.

I guess one hesitation in my case is that my laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed, and I think it's got some hidden recovery partition to restore the OS, provided by the manufacturer. And currently I don't really have a need to do a clean install.

I will look into this option if something goes south during my Windows 11 upgrade.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I experimented with OS/2 Warp on the desktop. The OS more fully utilized the hardware capabilities of the time unlike Windows of the same vintage, and it was really interesting for a geek. But it suffered from a lack of critical mass, with only a few applications targeting it. It provided the capability to run Windows applications and did so reasonably well. But you're better off using Windows to run Windows applications.

Fun fact: you've likely used OS/2 even if you didn't know it because of systems where it caught on. It just didn't catch on in the desktop space. I would compare it to Linux on the desktop which also never developed critical mass, but OS/2 was even less successful.
hudson

Post by hudson »

iamblessed,

Thanks 02nz! You must do this every day! Dell shop maybe, or just quick with Google?
Clean installs....always!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

hudson wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:07 am

iamblessed,

Thanks 02nz! You must do this every day! Dell shop maybe, or just quick with Google?
Clean installs....always!
Google. :happy Although I've owned a couple of Optiplex desktops so I'm generally familiar.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:05 am
02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 am BTW the install disc is a totally obsolete way to do clean installs. Much better to download an ISO file or use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10), which will save you a lot of time downloading updates (since it'll have the latest major update, e.g., 21H1).
This is a good idea.

I guess one hesitation in my case is that my laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed, and I think it's got some hidden recovery partition to restore the OS, provided by the manufacturer. And currently I don't really have a need to do a clean install.

I will look into this option if something goes south during my Windows 11 upgrade.
I always wipe the drive clean (or often replace the SSD right after getting a new system, as it's much cheaper to get a larger SSD on your own). Deleting the recovery partition saves space and isn't a big deal - the image on there is old anyway, and whatever time you save by using the image (from not having to download drivers) will be lost by the additional OS updates you'll need to download and install. A clean install is very quick - often under 10 minutes.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:41 pm I always wipe the drive clean (or often replace the SSD right after getting a new system, as it's much cheaper to get a larger SSD on your own). Deleting the recovery partition saves space and isn't a big deal - the image on there is old anyway, and whatever time you save by using the image (from not having to download drivers) will be lost by the additional OS updates you'll need to download and install. A clean install is very quick - often under 10 minutes.
What about the registration key for Windows? My laptop has a legit copy of Windows 10 pre-installed, but I don't have a registration key if a clean install asks for one later. It'd be bad if I wipe my drive, try a clean install via USB and find out I can't activate it.
LiterallyIronic

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 am

iamblessed,

note the threat to end updates at any time.

BTW the install disc is a totally obsolete way to do clean installs. Much better to download an ISO file or use the Media Creation Tool
Don't threaten me with a good time. Forced updates is one of the reasons I'm still on Win7 (along with telemetry, Cortana, Windows Store, and tiles).

What's the difference between buying an install disc and keeping it in a closet until I need it and creating an ISO, burning it to disc, and keeping it in a closet until I need it?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:46 pm
02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:41 pm I always wipe the drive clean (or often replace the SSD right after getting a new system, as it's much cheaper to get a larger SSD on your own). Deleting the recovery partition saves space and isn't a big deal - the image on there is old anyway, and whatever time you save by using the image (from not having to download drivers) will be lost by the additional OS updates you'll need to download and install. A clean install is very quick - often under 10 minutes.
What about the registration key for Windows? My laptop has a legit copy of Windows 10 pre-installed, but I don't have a registration key if a clean install asks for one later. It'd be bad if I wipe my drive, try a clean install via USB and find out I can't activate it.
I believe in newer hardware the license key (OEM) is in the BIOS; it should re-activate with a clean install. I know this is true for Lenovo laptops as I've always installed a clean version of W10 that I have customized when I deployed laptops in my volunteer work.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jebmke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:59 pm I believe in newer hardware the license key (OEM) is in the BIOS; it should re-activate with a clean install. I know this is true for Lenovo laptops as I've always installed a clean version of W10 that I have customized when I deployed laptops in my volunteer work.
Thank you, good to know this :beer
02nz

Post by 02nz »

jebmke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:59 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:46 pm
I believe in newer hardware the license key (OEM) is in the BIOS; it should re-activate with a clean install. I know this is true for Lenovo laptops as I've always installed a clean version of W10 that I have customized when I deployed laptops in my volunteer work.
Yes this has been true for all Windows computers for a quite some time now, it's why new PCs don't come with a sticker anymore with the OEM key.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:51 pm
02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 am
iamblessed,

note the threat to end updates at any time.

BTW the install disc is a totally obsolete way to do clean installs. Much better to download an ISO file or use the Media Creation Tool
Don't threaten me with a good time. Forced updates is one of the reasons I'm still on Win7 (along with telemetry, Cortana, Windows Store, and tiles).

What's the difference between buying an install disc and keeping it in a closet until I need it and creating an ISO, burning it to disc, and keeping it in a closet until I need it?
Buying an install disc: costs money, contains the version of Windows that was current at the time the disc was made, e.g., if you do that with Windows 10 you probably have a version from a 1-5 years ago. Your computer will spend an hour or more downloading and installing updates. Requires optical drive.

Downloading and burning ISO: You get the current version of Windows (21H1 soon to be 21H2), you only need to download and install updates since that version. Costs nothing. If you use the Media Creation Tool, no optical drive needed.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:51 pm Don't threaten me with a good time. Forced updates is one of the reasons I'm still on Win7
:shock:

I assume you either don't use an iOS or Android device, or purposefully use an outdated / unsupported / unsecured device (that no longer gets updates) for the same reason?
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

bryanm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am Consider:

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 95 - Innovative but buggy
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows ME - Innovative but buggy
Windows XP - Great!
Windows Vista - Innovative but buggy
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 8 - Innovative but buggy
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
It's the Star Trek movie pattern, including Galaxy Quest. And Windows 8 was an abomination that cannot be forgotten soon enough. It was the Windows so bad that most people don't even know it existed.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

SnowBog wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:16 pm
FreeAtLast wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:57 pm Please correct me if my senile memory has failed me.....but didn't Microsoft have to get to a Second Edition of Windows 98 before it was "Great!"?
I think you are right... I didn't remember what it stood for, but I remember Win 98 SE! :beer
Windows 98 Second Edition. There was also a Windows ME (Millennium Edition).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LiterallyIronic

SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:34 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:51 pm Don't threaten me with a good time. Forced updates is one of the reasons I'm still on Win7

I assume you either don't use an iOS or Android device, or purposefully use an outdated / unsupported / unsecured device (that no longer gets updates) for the same reason?
Heh, indeed I do. I used Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread until 2018 when I bought a new phone. I wasn't able to prevent my phone from updating, so it has a couple of times and I'm currently running Android 9 Pie. My phone is over three years old now, though, so I assume it won't attempt to update anymore. I'm the slowest software adopter out there. I used IE6 for as long as I could, since newer browsers came with tabs, for example. I used Office 2000 until 2017. I always want the most expensive, cutting edge computer hardware and the oldest software.
02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 pm Buying an install disc: costs money, contains the version of Windows that was current at the time the disc was made, e.g., if you do that with Windows 10 you probably have a version from a 1-5 years ago. Your computer will spend an hour or more downloading and installing updates. Requires optical drive.

Downloading and burning ISO: You get the current version of Windows (21H1 soon to be 21H2), you only need to download and install updates since that version. Costs nothing. If you use the Media Creation Tool, no optical drive needed.
You've misunderstood. I'm not going to download and burn an ISO immediately prior to needing it. Too risky - I may not have access to a device that can download and burn an ISO. I need to always have the disc around. So it would get out-of-date just like a purchased original install disc. And I would never build a PC without an optical drive. I can watch blu-ray movies on my computer if someone is using the TV. Not to mention that if I'm going to burn an ISO to disc, I still need an optical drive in order to do so. That makes the only benefit being the cost as opposed to buying an original install disc, but my understanding is that, with an i7 6700k, I need a full install instead of an upgrade in order to go to Windows 11 (and I probably doubly need a full install instead of an upgrade because I'm on Windows 7), which might render that benefit moot, too.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm
SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Heh, indeed I do. I used Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread until 2018 when I bought a new phone. I wasn't able to prevent my phone from updating, so it has a couple of times and I'm currently running Android 9 Pie. My phone is over three years old now, though, so I assume it won't attempt to update anymore. I'm the slowest software adopter out there. I used IE6 for as long as I could, since newer browsers came with tabs, for example. I used Office 2000 until 2017. I always want the most expensive, cutting edge computer hardware and the oldest software.
Well, at least you are consistent... :beer

I don't think this is an advisable approach... And I suspect you are underestimating the risk you have by running on outdated systems.

But we all get to make our choices!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm I'm not going to download and burn an ISO immediately prior to needing it. Too risky - I may not have access to a device that can download and burn an ISO. I need to always have the disc around. So it would get out-of-date just like a purchased original install disc.
Whatever floats your boat, but any Windows install disc you buy will still be costlier and have an older version than an ISO you download yourself even if you do that download in advance of actually needing the disc. Having a 3-year-old disc means a lot more updates to download than a 1-year-old disc.
LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm Not to mention that if I'm going to burn an ISO to disc, I still need an optical drive in order to do so.
The alternative is to create a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool, as I pointed out already. No optical drive needed.
LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm That makes the only benefit being the cost as opposed to buying an original install disc, but my understanding is that, with an i7 6700k, I need a full install instead of an upgrade in order to go to Windows 11 (and I probably doubly need a full install instead of an upgrade because I'm on Windows 7), which might render that benefit moot, too.
I think you're misunderstanding. Whether you do a clean or upgrade install has nothing to do with cost. Just because your PC doesn't already have Windows installed, doesn't mean you need to buy the "full" version of Windows - or even an "upgrade." As long as your PC's firmware has a Windows license embedded (and virtually every PC comes with that), you can do a clean or upgrade install using the ISO or bootable USB drive created by the Media Creation Tool, without paying a cent. Heck, even PCs that came with Windows 7 can still be upgraded for free (again, can be a clean install) to Windows 10.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 pm The alternative is to create a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool, as I pointed out already. No optical drive needed.
This is what I do. I also stash a copy of the ISO on my NAS in case I misplace the flash drive. I have a copy of the 2021H1 ISO out there now since I have not upgraded yet. Sometimes I am a version behind and the prior version isn't available from MS if they have released the next one. I think I have 3 builds out on my NAS in ISO form.

The ISO contains the entire build and can be used to do a clean install or upgrade in-situ. I also use the ISO to create VMs in Virtualbox; VB can install directly from the ISO without having to actually burn a USB or DVD.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jebmke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm This is what I do. I also stash a copy of the ISO on my NAS in case I misplace the flash drive. I have a copy of the 2021H1 ISO out there now since I have not upgraded yet. Sometimes I am a version behind and the prior version isn't available from MS if they have released the next one. I think I have 3 builds out on my NAS in ISO form.

The ISO contains the entire build and can be used to do a clean install or upgrade in-situ. I also use the ISO to create VMs in Virtualbox; VB can install directly from the ISO without having to actually burn a USB or DVD.
Once Oct 5 hits, do we know if Windows 11 ISO will be made available? And, does my laptop - which came with Windows 10 pre-installed - have no trouble activating Windows 11 cleanly installed via a bootable USB? (I don't have a sticker & product key)

I think my first option would be to just upgrade from 10 to 11 in-situ, but a clean install would be my plan B in case something goes south.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LiterallyIronic

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 pm The alternative is to create a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool, as I pointed out already. No optical drive needed.
LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm That makes the only benefit being the cost as opposed to buying an original install disc, but my understanding is that, with an i7 6700k, I need a full install instead of an upgrade in order to go to Windows 11 (and I probably doubly need a full install instead of an upgrade because I'm on Windows 7), which might render that benefit moot, too.
I think you're misunderstanding. Whether you do a clean or upgrade install has nothing to do with cost. Just because your PC doesn't already have Windows installed, doesn't mean you need to buy the "full" version of Windows - or even an "upgrade." As long as your PC's firmware has a Windows license embedded (and virtually every PC comes with that), you can do a clean or upgrade install using the ISO or bootable USB drive created by the Media Creation Tool, without paying a cent. Heck, even PCs that came with Windows 7 can still be upgraded for free (again, can be a clean install) to Windows 10.
I've always avoided using bootable flash drives instead of bootable optical discs just to ensure that I avoid a situation in which I don't have functional USB drivers properly installed and can't get my machine to read from a USB port.

My understanding is that the embedded license only happens with an OEM version of Windows (that is to say, purchased a machine that came with Windows pre-installed). I always buy a retail copy of Windows and build my own machines, so I'm under the impression that there wouldn't be an embedded Windows license. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I've installed Win7 repeatedly with the same install disc over the years on different machines as I've built new rigs and discarded the old one.

I know I can still upgrade my Win7 to Win10, but I'll be skipping that iteration entirely and I don't know if there will even be an option to upgrade freely directly from Win7 to Win11.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:51 pm
I've always avoided using bootable flash drives instead of bootable optical discs just to ensure that I avoid a situation in which I don't have functional USB drivers properly installed and can't get my machine to read from a USB port.

My understanding is that the embedded license only happens with an OEM version of Windows (that is to say, purchased a machine that came with Windows pre-installed). I always buy a retail copy of Windows and build my own machines, so I'm under the impression that there wouldn't be an embedded Windows license. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I've installed Win7 repeatedly with the same install disc over the years on different machines as I've built new rigs and discarded the old one.

I know I can still upgrade my Win7 to Win10, but I'll be skipping that iteration entirely and I don't know if there will even be an option to upgrade freely directly from Win7 to Win11.
No offense but your practices are based on the state of computing in the Windows 95 era and earlier. USB flash drives have not needed dedicated drivers since (I believe) Windows 98. I have NEVER found that I needed drivers to boot off of a USB drive at any time in the past 20 years. At most I had to Google the key I need to press to enter the boot menu, which is different for different PCs.

Sure if you build your own machine then it didn't come with a Windows OEM license, because you didn't pay for one.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:51 pm I've always avoided using bootable flash drives instead of bootable optical discs just to ensure that I avoid a situation in which I don't have functional USB drivers properly installed and can't get my machine to read from a USB port.
This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of computing. The entire point of a bootable drive is that it is not dependent on an installed Operating System or any drivers associated with same. You can boot a machine from USB even if it doesn't have any other storage whatsoever. That is, as long as said machine is less than 25 years old. If it's a 486 then you may need a floppy disk to help you along.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 pmThat is, as long as said machine is less than 25 years old. If it's a 486 then you may need a floppy disk to help you along.
3.5" or 5.25"?

Can it be double sided? I think I have my punch somewhere...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 pm This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of computing. The entire point of a bootable drive is that it is not dependent on an installed Operating System or any drivers associated with same.
Tbf, in the old W7 days the sequence of loading the OS often used WInPE which in early versions only read USB2 devices. At times, I had load failures when attempting to load an OS from a USB3 device. I suspect that later versions of WInPE incorporated USB3 drivers. The last year I was doing this (we are now using Chromebooks) this issue did not seem to occur with either W7 or W10.
hudson

Reinstall Windows for Dell computers

Post by hudson »

I just go to Dell's main support page and follow the directions: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us ... tool/wt64a
That does the latest version of Windows and all drivers for my particular computer.
Idiot proof? not really...the user has to save his/her data first.

Bottom Line: Dell supports Windows for it's computers

Other computer makers probably do the same.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I was a Linux desktop user for years, jumping through all the hoops needed to run my Windows games under Ubuntu, which were pretty much the only things keeping Windows on my radar. Then there was a general period of time in which I felt desktop Linux had lost its way. The shift to modern web apps and the growth of open-source cross-platform software should have been a driving force for desktop Linux and really any alternatives with a web browser. Ironically, they pushed me back to Windows when I stopped needing any native *nix features and desktop Linux distros couldn't get their act together. I don't have a specific year I can pin it to, but I remember the disastrous launch of Ubuntu Unity didn't exactly instill confidence in the future of desktop Linux. I tried switching to OpenSUSE with KDE and felt it had gotten so heavyweight for what it was. Switched to Fedora with GNOME 3, which was still a step backwards in terms of desktop usability for me, but the real killer was the difficulty I had installing and running proprietary Nvidia drivers, which had been easy on Ubuntu. To my own surprise, I jumped on the opportunity to get Windows 10 for free through the Insider program, and again, because so much had moved to cross-platform web applications over the years, I just didn't really have any issue with the fact that I was running garbage Windows, and I could at least enjoy the classic Windows desktop layout which I had been accustomed to for many years.

Well, Microsoft had me until I tried upgrading to Windows 11 on my somewhat older PC and failed because of the TPM 2.0 requirement. I'm all for supporting better security, but I think cutting support for millions of perfectly functional, relatively new systems was a major misstep. I didn't hesitate to give Ubuntu a try again. I still hate a lot about the directions Linux distros have taken in recent years (do we really need 50 different packaging formats in a single distro?) but one extremely pleasant surprise I was completely unaware of was Steam's built-in ability to play Windows games on Linux via something called Proton. Managing my own per-game WINE installations back in the day was an absolute nightmare. PlayOnLinux made it somewhat more manageable but was community-maintained and not without numerous bugs and quirks. To have it just built in to Steam's official Linux client is an absolute miracle for somebody like me who wanted mainstream gaming on Linux for many years.

To any gamers feeling stuck on Windows and interested in playing their Steam library on Linux, I suggest giving it a try. The experience has gotten orders of magnitude better than when I remember it. I still think desktop Linux is a chaotic mess, but I'm at a point in my life/career where I can benefit from running *nix on personal machines again, so I'm willing to put up with it.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

dboeger1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 am I don't have a specific year I can pin it to, but I remember the disastrous launch of Ubuntu Unity didn't exactly instill confidence in the future of desktop Linux. I tried switching to OpenSUSE with KDE and felt it had gotten so heavyweight for what it was. Switched to Fedora with GNOME 3, which was still a step backwards in terms of desktop usability for me, but the real killer was the difficulty I had installing and running proprietary Nvidia drivers, which had been easy on Ubuntu.
Yeah, I primarily use Ubuntu but not the default desktop. Ubuntu MATE is what I like.

I don't do much gaming but I do need Windows somewhere for my scanner and in rare cases, some applications only available on Windows. A laptop works fine in my case.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 pm
jebmke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm This is what I do. I also stash a copy of the ISO on my NAS in case I misplace the flash drive. I have a copy of the 2021H1 ISO out there now since I have not upgraded yet. Sometimes I am a version behind and the prior version isn't available from MS if they have released the next one. I think I have 3 builds out on my NAS in ISO form.

Once Oct 5 hits, do we know if Windows 11 ISO will be made available? And, does my laptop - which came with Windows 10 pre-installed - have no trouble activating Windows 11 cleanly installed via a bootable USB? (I don't have a sticker & product key)

I think my first option would be to just upgrade from 10 to 11 in-situ, but a clean install would be my plan B in case something goes south.
I suspect any license that is eligible will allow a W11 clean install but your method would get you to W11 and then if you decided to do a clean install later, MS license database would show that you were at W11 already and almost certainly allow a reinstall.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:00 am I suspect any license that is eligible will allow a W11 clean install but your method would get you to W11 and then if you decided to do a clean install later, MS license database would show that you were at W11 already and almost certainly allow a reinstall.
Sounds like a plan! :beer

I don't use the laptop that much and I already removed bloatware to the extent I can. If in-situ upgrade works, I'll just take it without doing a clean install and set up everything all over again.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

SnowBog wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:16 pm
FreeAtLast wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:57 pm

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
Please correct me if my senile memory has failed me.....but didn't Microsoft have to get to a Second Edition of Windows 98 before it was "Great!"?
I think you are right... I didn't remember what it stood for, but I remember Win 98 SE! :beer
I concede this point
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
You forgot Windows 1.0, 2.0, Windows/286, Windows/386, 2.1, Win2K, Windows NT 3.1, 3.5, 4.0, and probably a few more.
I guess most current versions are based on NT :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

I would say that all the versions pre Win2K sucked. Vista was pretty horrid. 7 was probably the best version.

I upgrade my home PCs myself from parts, generally a major upgrade every 4-5 years. I have 4 in the house. One is a NAS running Ubuntu 20, no Windows be seen there.

3 are running Windows 10.

My main workorse runs a 5th Gen intel 5820k have 5th gen that Windows 11 doesn't officially support. It is a beast with over 15 drives and triple monitors, and I'm probably not going to upgrade it any time soon given the component shortage. So, it's staying on Windows 10.

The other 2 are HTPCs.

HTPC in the bedroom has a 2015 vintage Skylake i5-6400 and too old for Windows 11. It's about due for upgrade, but given inflated price of PC components, especially GPUs, probably won't be anytime soon.

HTPC in the home theater is a 2018 vintage Ryzen 2700 and apparently will run Win11.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

madbrain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 am

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
You forgot Windows 1.0, 2.0, Windows/286, Windows/386, 2.1, Win2K, Windows NT 3.1, 3.5, 4.0, and probably a few more.
I guess most current versions are based on NT :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT
I was only commenting on consumer versions, which excludes NT-based systems prior to XP, including 2k (which was indeed great). Windows 1.0, 2.0, 2.x, were before my time. Open to comments on whether they fit the pattern.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

As a reminder, assuming Windows 11 maintains the cadence of Windows 10, there could be 2 new "versions" of Windows 11 released every year.

People often forget this, as it's been "Windows 10" for many years now. But assuming your computer has been keep up to date, you could have upgraded through as many as 12 different "versions" of Windows 10.

This is drastically different than pre-Win 10, when the OS was largely unchanged until the next major upgrade. (Sure there were big fixes and security enhancements, but very little differences otherwise.)

So I'm not sure the "pattern" is relevant - at least not in the "should I skip Win 11" framing of it.

I'm sure the initial release will still be a little rough, while Microsoft tries to get more input from those in its "Insider" program, that's still a small fraction of the users in the world. And while people have (IMHO overblown) concerns about Microsoft getting telemetry & diagnostic data from Windows these days, that's a key input for them to understand how things are working in the "real world" (with innumerable combinations of hardware, drivers, software, etc.). So in a very generic sense the "pattern" of the initial release of Windows 11 not being as good as subsequent versions may likely remain true. As such, I don't fault anyone if they'd rather remain on Windows 10 initially and let things shake out in the first version.

But in the current age of technology and cyber security, I think everyone should be making plans to remain on a "supported" OS. At such time as Windows 10 is no longer supported, please move to Windows 11 (or if you feel so inclined, a supported Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, ChromeOS, etc. version). It has become somewhat trivial to compromise outdated/unsupported OS platforms, and those with large install bases are ripe targets for cyber criminals. Don't reward them by being an easy target. (Even if they aren't targeting you, and maybe doesn't even impact you personally, these devices often become part of "bot networks" which are used for other attacks. The more we can collectively do to make their "jobs" harder, the better we'll all be.)
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, so there shouldn't be a rush to move off for security reasons.

If you like the Windows 10 UI and are interested in moving to Linux, I would recommend Kubuntu as the "Plasma" UI has a similar design. There are other UIs as well based on the same flavor of Ubuntu, one of the more popular Linux distributions: https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Well, so much for Windows 11. Apparently the readiness checker tool didn't like my laptop's Intel Core i7 7500U.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09 ... ported-pcs

My laptop might not be entitled to receive updates if I force-upgrade to 11, I guess I'm staying on 10 until its support expires on October 14th, 2025.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Before Windows 10 the checker listed programs it found on the W-7 systems it thought might not run on W-10. Does the W-11 checker do this too?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:41 pm https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09 ... ported-pcs

My laptop might not be entitled to receive updates if I force-upgrade to 11, I guess I'm staying on 10 until its support expires on October 14th, 2025.
A reasonable decision. 4 more years is still a long life for technology these days! Windows 10 is a solid option so long as it's still being supported and updated by Microsoft.

For myself, I'll admit I went the other way. I decided long ago that with the pace of change in technology, there was more "value" at the cheaper purchase points, and by spending less by not buying the "top of the line" option I could replace my hardware quicker.

So I just pre-ordered a Surface Go 3 and I had replaced an older device earlier this year with a Surface Laptop Go. I buy the low- to mid-range devices (aka i3 vs. i5 or i7), but buy quality devices (hence Surface). So now I'm set for Windows 11! And if I need (or want) to replace them again in 3+ years, that's perfectly fine as I'll end up with a newer better device for probably less money than had I originally bought a top-of-the-range i7 beast.

But I'm not a PC gamer, and don't need extra horsepower...
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 pm Before Windows 10 the checker listed programs it found on the W-7 systems it thought might not run on W-10. Does the W-11 checker do this too?
Between Win 7 and Win 10, there were major changes made to how apps worked...

I don't recall seeing apps listed in the Win 11 checker... But I'm also not sure there were significant changes to how apps work between 10 and 11...

My working theory is everything that worked on Win 10 should work on Win 11 (with maybe rate exceptions like installers hard coded to only work on Win 10).
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:49 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:41 pm https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09 ... ported-pcs

A reasonable decision. 4 more years is still a long life for technology these days! Windows 10 is a solid option so long as it's still being supported and updated by Microsoft.

For myself, I'll admit I went the other way. I decided long ago that with the pace of change in technology, there was more "value" at the cheaper purchase points, and by spending less by not buying the "top of the line" option I could replace my hardware quicker...
And I'm just the opposite. I buy more than I need, and only replace it about every eight years. I ran my W-7 system until just before support was dropped, and bought a new W-10 system then (about 2 1/2 years ago). Then I learned on Bogleheads I could still get the W-10 upgrade on my old system free. So now I have two W-10 systems, and I guess I'll keep them both on W-10 until its support is dropped. Then I'll dump the old one and upgrade the newer one to 11. From what I read about W-11 requirements, I think it satisfies them all.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.