Windows 11 [Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chris319

Windows 11 [Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11?]

Post by chris319 »

What do people hear about Windows 11? Supposedly it will be released toward the end of 2021.

The transition from Windows 7 to 10 went smoothly for me, then it was a bumpy ride after that. IMO Microsoft released Windows 10 a few years too soon and have been playing catch-up ever since.

The end of support for Windows 10 is October 14, 2025. I think I'll continue using 10 for as long as possible (until it won't update any more) before installing 11.

I dread the thought of having to pave my machine and install Windows anew and get all the settings just the way I had them before. I also hope they don't bloat the OS with a bunch of useless gimmicks and whirligigs.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/14/2253 ... pport-date
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
jebmke

Re: Windows 11

Post by jebmke »

Not yet on my horizon. Normally I delay upgrades at least six months (even the semi annual ones). Something major lime W11 I’d probably run in a VM for a few months to test drive it.

But my hardware will be pushing 10 years old by then so I might just bite the bullet and switch to Apple or load Linux on my older hardware.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Ubuntu Linux is a good one.

Simple and it will work on old hardware.

If you have Windows specific software that is important to you, then I suggest just sticking with Windows.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

It is not uncommon for those end of life dates to get pushed out. I have not had any issues going from Windows 7 to 10 or with any of the Windows 10 upgrades. I only have a single PC that is used for Quicken, lite web browsing and lite email. It is pretty old but is currently running fine after switching to an SSD and adding some memory. I will have to see how it does on Windows 11 when it comes out.
Watty

Post by Watty »

chris319 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 am I dread the thought of having to pave my machine and install Windows anew and get all the settings just the way I had them before. I also hope they don't bloat the OS with a bunch of useless gimmicks and whirligigs.
My big concern is that Microsoft has always been really clumsy about the way they try to snoop and spy on you to get your information. At least Google is pretty slick and unobtrusive when they do it. :D
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Many versions of Windows have been duds. Windows 10 was a good one. And the evil you know is better than the evil you don't know- the only thing I think you can be relatively assured of is that any future version will be way more efficient at mining your data. Call me skeptical, but I think operating systems are well past their maturity (explaining why it is taking so long to release a supposedly "new and improved" version of Windows), so I wouldn't expect any major improvements. If they happen I will be happily surprised and maybe I will eventually buy a new laptop a year or more after I see how well the new system works and the bugs are corrected.

New operating systems, like new cell phones, were really exciting things to look forward to ten or twenty years ago. Now they are just marketing tools.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

With Windows 10 it is possible to disable or eliminate features such as One Drive and Cortana which consume resources but are otherwise useless. You can also turn off telemetry.

In Windows 11 will these be cast in concrete and unable to be defeated/removed? I hope not.

I have a spare HD I can use as a Windows 11 test bed.

If Microsoft creates a lot of ballyhoo around Windows 11, suspicious me thinks they must be up to something.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

chris319 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 am ... I think I'll continue using 10 for as long as possible (until it won't update any more) before installing 11....
Ditto. I always do that. Used Win/95 even after it was out of support. Delayed going from XP to Win/7 until I had to replace my PC. Delayed going from Win/7 tp Win/10 until support ended. No reason to change my strategy for Win/11.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I have had Windows 10 update issues almost monthly and am not looking forward to Win 11.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

chris319 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 am With Windows 10 it is possible to disable or eliminate features such as One Drive and Cortana which consume resources but are otherwise useless. You can also turn off telemetry.

In Windows 11 will these be cast in concrete and unable to be defeated/removed? I hope not.

I have a spare HD I can use as a Windows 11 test bed.

If Microsoft creates a lot of ballyhoo around Windows 11, suspicious me thinks they must be up to something.
Windows 10 and its many updates work fine for me. I keep my PC very clean, however.

I Uninstalled OneDrive with no ill-effects. I still use OneDrive for file back-up and access it through my browser.

Cortana cannot be Uninstalled, but you can prevent it from using the microphone and camera, and set it not to run at start-up.
namajones

Post by namajones »

I just upgraded last year to Windows 10 from Windows 7.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I accept every upgrade Microsoft and Apple present to me after about a week. Many people download them in the first day so by a week they'll know if there are any problems and will be fixed or pulled. I haven't had an issue in many years. I upgrade hardware about every 4-5 years at mid-grade level. No $2000 plus computers for me.

I do opt out of requests to share data and periodically review privacy settings.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Consider:

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 95 - Innovative but buggy
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows ME - Innovative but buggy
Windows XP - Great!
Windows Vista - Innovative but buggy
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 8 - Innovative but buggy
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

It's really just a naming convention thing. The reality is that the current version of Windows 10 (21H1) is already quite different from the one that came out in 2015, because Microsoft has been providing major updates every 6 to 12 months. So whether they call the next major update Windows 11, or 10, or something else, doesn't really matter all that much. It will just be the next major update. Most hardware and software will continue to work just like before.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

chris319 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 am With Windows 10 it is possible to disable or eliminate features such as One Drive and Cortana which consume resources but are otherwise useless.
You mean you don't use OneDrive, which doesn't make it useless. I find it very good and the integration into Windows very well executed.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Cortana can be removed from Windows 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-unin ... 020-update
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

bryanm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am Consider:

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
Fantastic summary!
leeks

Post by leeks »

jayjayc wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:01 pm
bryanm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am Consider:

Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???

I see a pattern.
Fantastic summary!
What if you have hated all of them since about Windows 98...

I hate Windows 10. I feel like it hides too many settings from me and too often needs administrative permission in some difficult-to-enable way even though I am the only user. I can never find what I want and I have to google for help regularly because the built-in search and help functions don't give me real answers. It rarely crashes though, so I see that was one real improvement.

But I assume 11 will be even worse in terms of my user experience. I will delay as long as practical.

I tried Ubuntu in the past, but the learning curve was so steep that I did not enjoy it more.

I have a 25 year old grudge against Apple products that I am not willing to give up. Their form of "intuitive" does not match my brain.
jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 »

The last version of Windows that I've used extensively is Windows XP. Those bad reviews of Vista were what prompted me to switch to Linux. Windows 8 made me so glad that I had ditched Windows. I tried it out in stores, and I had a hard time figuring out how to do anything. Windows 10 got rid of the tiles, but it's so complicated. It seemed that moving the mouse around would cause so many things to pop up.

I recommend MX Linux (https://mxlinux.org/), which is based on Debian. MX Linux is lightweight, fast, user-friendly, stable, and low maintenance. It works quite well on 10-year-old PCs. If you like the traditional Windows 7/XP/98/95 interface, you'll feel at home. MX Linux is #1 on Distrowatch (https://distrowatch.com/). This distro is the standard against which I judge all other Linux distros.

I personally have rolled out a Linux distro called Swift Linux (https://www.swiftlinux.org/), which is MX Linux with special themed wallpaper. Check out Hannah Montana Linux, Taylor Swift Linux, Interstate Swift Linux, and Twilight Zone Swift Linux.

I personally don't like Ubuntu Linux. While it's considerably lighter and faster than Windows, it's much heavier and slower than MX Linux. Installing Ubuntu on a 10-year-old PC is like installing a small 4-cylinder engine under the hood of a massive Lincoln Town Car. Additionally, I don't like the user interface. (To be fair, you might feel at home if you liked Windows 8 and 10 better than I do.)

Installing the current version of Windows on a 10-year-old PC is like installing a small 4-cylinder engine under the hood of a Chevrolet/GMC Suburban. Then there are the numerous privacy and security issues. Let's face it. Windows isn't ready for prime time.
DFJ: Japan - small cap dividend | DGS: emerging, small cap dividend | MOTI: international moat stocks | IQIN: large cap, developed | DGRE: emerging, dividend growth | GWX and FNDC: small cap, developed
jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 »

When Windows 10 was new, I recall hearing that there would never be a Windows 11. I wondered how that could be true. I couldn't imagine that Microsoft would throw in the towel given how profitable Windows was and given that most users suck it up and "upgrade" no matter how awful the product is.

I remember hearing that Windows would move to a subscription service and that there would be no need for Windows 11. If that had been in the works, I guess that the idea just didn't pan out for some reason.

I see now that the Windows upgrade cycle will continue. So my doubts that Windows 10 would be the last have been vindicated.
DFJ: Japan - small cap dividend | DGS: emerging, small cap dividend | MOTI: international moat stocks | IQIN: large cap, developed | DGRE: emerging, dividend growth | GWX and FNDC: small cap, developed
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jhsu802701 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 pm The last version of Windows that I've used extensively is Windows XP. Those bad reviews of Vista were what prompted me to switch to Linux. Windows 8 made me so glad that I had ditched Windows. I tried it out in stores, and I had a hard time figuring out how to do anything. Windows 10 got rid of the tiles, but it's so complicated. It seemed that moving the mouse around would cause so many things to pop up.

I recommend MX Linux (https://mxlinux.org/), which is based on Debian. MX Linux is lightweight, fast, user-friendly, stable, and low maintenance. It works quite well on 10-year-old PCs. If you like the traditional Windows 7/XP/98/95 interface, you'll feel at home. MX Linux is #1 on Distrowatch (https://distrowatch.com/). This distro is the standard against which I judge all other Linux distros.

I personally have rolled out a Linux distro called Swift Linux (https://www.swiftlinux.org/), which is MX Linux with special themed wallpaper. Check out Hannah Montana Linux, Taylor Swift Linux, Interstate Swift Linux, and Twilight Zone Swift Linux.

I personally don't like Ubuntu Linux. While it's considerably lighter and faster than Windows, it's much heavier and slower than MX Linux. Installing Ubuntu on a 10-year-old PC is like installing a small 4-cylinder engine under the hood of a massive Lincoln Town Car. Additionally, I don't like the user interface. (To be fair, you might feel at home if you liked Windows 8 and 10 better than I do.)

Installing the current version of Windows on a 10-year-old PC is like installing a small 4-cylinder engine under the hood of a Chevrolet/GMC Suburban. Then there are the numerous privacy and security issues. Let's face it. Windows isn't ready for prime time.
Well...MX Linux is lightweight because it's using Xfce by default. Ubuntu uses GNOME3 which is slow as you say, but there are other flavors available such as Xubuntu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu which uses Xfce. I really like Ubuntu MATE personally.
jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 »

leeks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 pm I tried Ubuntu in the past, but the learning curve was so steep that I did not enjoy it more.
When did you try Ubuntu? Did the controversial Unity desktop alienate you? (I personally hate it.) Those who didn't mind stuck with Ubuntu. Those who didn't like it and thought that the old GNOME 2 interface was better moved to other distros, such as Linux Mint, Fedora, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and others. Linux Mint dethroned Ubuntu in the DistroWatch rankings. (Then Arch-based Manjaro Linux dethroned Linux Mint, and then MX Linux dethroned Manjaro.)

I think you'd like Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu but offers a more traditional desktop. The Linux Mint team is the most productive of all. They had quite a dilemma when it was time to replace the old GNOME 2 desktop that was popular but obsolete. They didn't like Unity or GNOME 3 as replacements. So the Linux Mint team took over the flagging MATE project (a continuation of GNOME 2) and rolled out Cinnamon (based on GNOME 3). Linux Mint found a way to modernize while retaining the traditional desktop.

If you want something lighter and faster than Linux Mint, try MX Linux. I think of it as the unofficial Linux Mint Debian Edition. (The official Linux Mint Debian Edition is an afterthought.) MX Linux has a traditional desktop (like Linux Mint) but is based on Debian instead of Ubuntu. The MX Linux team has the unfair advantages of not being responsible for MATE, Cinnamon, and a popular Ubuntu-based edition.
jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 am Well...MX Linux is lightweight because it's using Xfce by default. Ubuntu uses GNOME3 which is slow as you say, but there are other flavors available such as Xubuntu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu which uses Xfce. I really like Ubuntu MATE personally.
A bigger reason that MX Linux is lightweight is its lack of the high overhead of a Ubuntu base.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jhsu802701 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:16 am
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 am Well...MX Linux is lightweight because it's using Xfce by default. Ubuntu uses GNOME3 which is slow as you say, but there are other flavors available such as Xubuntu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu which uses Xfce. I really like Ubuntu MATE personally.
A bigger reason that MX Linux is lightweight is its lack of the high overhead of a Ubuntu base.
OK if you are talking about an old PC (I think you mentioned 10 years) then it might be different, yes. I have 16GB of RAM and I don't really see issues.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I use Linux Mint and it is a good distro as Linux distros go. Is MX Linux enough better than Mint for me to give it a try?

I was able to get TaxAct to run under Wine, a big step forward.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

chris319 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:46 am I use Linux Mint and it is a good distro as Linux distros go. Is MX Linux enough better than Mint for me to give it a try?

I was able to get TaxAct to run under Wine, a big step forward.
We're all picking the GUI. You're using Cinnamon, the above poster is using Xfce, I'm using MATE.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
leeks

Post by leeks »

jhsu802701 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 am
leeks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 pm I tried Ubuntu in the past, but the learning curve was so steep that I did not enjoy it more.
When did you try Ubuntu? Did the controversial Unity desktop alienate you? (I personally hate it.) Those who didn't mind stuck with Ubuntu. Those who didn't like it and thought that the old GNOME 2 interface was better moved to other distros, such as Linux Mint, Fedora, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and others. Linux Mint dethroned Ubuntu in the DistroWatch rankings. (Then Arch-based Manjaro Linux dethroned Linux Mint, and then MX Linux dethroned Manjaro.)

I think you'd like Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu but offers a more traditional desktop. The Linux Mint team is the most productive of all. They had quite a dilemma when it was time to replace the old GNOME 2 desktop that was popular but obsolete. They didn't like Unity or GNOME 3 as replacements. So the Linux Mint team took over the flagging MATE project (a continuation of GNOME 2) and rolled out Cinnamon (based on GNOME 3). Linux Mint found a way to modernize while retaining the traditional desktop.

If you want something lighter and faster than Linux Mint, try MX Linux. I think of it as the unofficial Linux Mint Debian Edition. (The official Linux Mint Debian Edition is an afterthought.) MX Linux has a traditional desktop (like Linux Mint) but is based on Debian instead of Ubuntu. The MX Linux team has the unfair advantages of not being responsible for MATE, Cinnamon, and a popular Ubuntu-based edition.
I don't remember which version it was, but it was probably 10-12 years ago.

The biggest problem is that I am married to a computer scientist who does everything in Linux. I would get frustrated with something and then ask him how to do it. His response would be to type in a bunch of commands and find all kinds of minor things to tweak that flashed past the screen too quickly for me to absorb. Taking hours to try every possible resolution I could find in an online search (I tried it a few times) was not palatable when my husband could just fix it in 10 seconds. But then I didn't learn anything.

It works better for us for me to just get frustrated with Windows periodically because, when I complain about it, he can just say "yeah windows sucks" and stay out of it. He doesn't know how to fix anything in windows.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I was surprised to read the Windows 11 news, as Windows 10 was supposed to be the "last version of Windows".
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I think you left one out:
bryanm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows 2000 -- Innovative and Great! (Got rid of NetBEUI in favor of TCP/IP)
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

jhsu802701 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:57 pm When Windows 10 was new, I recall hearing that there would never be a Windows 11. I wondered how that could be true. I couldn't imagine that Microsoft would throw in the towel given how profitable Windows was and given that most users suck it up and "upgrade" no matter how awful the product is.

I remember hearing that Windows would move to a subscription service and that there would be no need for Windows 11. If that had been in the works, I guess that the idea just didn't pan out for some reason.

I see now that the Windows upgrade cycle will continue. So my doubts that Windows 10 would be the last have been vindicated.
Microsoft gets much of the Windows revenue from licenses sold to corporations or with new PCs, not individual users upgrading. I'd be willing to bet that the upgrade from 10 to 11 will be free, just like the upgrade to 10 was (and still is, although it's no longer advertised as such).
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

02nz wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:17 am It's really just a naming convention thing. The reality is that the current version of Windows 10 (21H1) is already quite different from the one that came out in 2015, because Microsoft has been providing major updates every 6 to 12 months. So whether they call the next major update Windows 11, or 10, or something else, doesn't really matter all that much. It will just be the next major update. Most hardware and software will continue to work just like before.
I just update continuously and I have never had an issue. I clean install every 2-3 years. Upgrading hardware (laptops and desktops), repasting, cleaning fans, zeroing the hard drives, firmware upgrades if needed, installing 21H1, test installs to confirm drivers, and then the final set, install apps and restore data. I use bitlocker and backup the keys.

I just did this for an Acer laptop, Dell XPS, Dell Latitude, and replaced the 256GB SSDs in two Surface Pro 7+. I read extensively on Reddit and manufacturer support boards about drivers before applying them on top of the Microsoft defaults. Some are needed and beneficial, others not.

My next fun project is opening up a 2018 iMac to upgrade its Drives to 2TB SSDs.

As long as you backup your files and have alternative computers to use it something happens, you’re good. I document a script that I maintain of the final procedure I use so I have it as a reference if I need to replace a computer or hard drive.

I buy the warranties. I already had Dell replace my XPS 17 9700
02nz

Post by 02nz »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:48 am I think you left one out:
bryanm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am Windows 3.1 - Great!
Windows 98 - Great!
Windows 2000 -- Innovative and Great! (Got rid of NetBEUI in favor of TCP/IP)
Windows XP - Great!
Windows 7 - Great!
Windows 10 - Great!
Windows 11 - ???
Windows 2000 was indeed great, but it was basically Windows NT 5 and thus not part of the consumer line, which merged with the NT line in XP.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

02nz wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:41 am Windows 2000 was indeed great, but it was basically Windows NT 5 and thus not part of the consumer line, which merged with the NT line in XP.
Gotcha. I suppose you're right in that Windows 2000 wasn't really marketed to the consumer market, it was more of a workplace product. It came in both workstation and server versions, as did NT, and I used it quite a bit in my workplace prior to XP's rollout.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I just hope it is free. I updated to 10 by owning 7. I doubt they will let me update again. What do you think?
Last edited by iamblessed on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ionball

Post by ionball »

I predict that Windows 11 will have a new look and the Start button will no longer reside in the lower left corner of the screen by default. The guts will be more like a version 10.1 than a full version rollout. My crystal ball is getting foggy now, so that's all I can say.
ionball

Post by ionball »

...and rounded corners!
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Well, color me surprised. They've been saying for years "Windows 10" was the final branding, though of course they have still put out annual versions to continue patching. I work in tech and am definitely not an early adopter. As today is the first I've heard of it, it will be at least a year, probably longer, before I'm tempted to try it
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

ionball wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:02 pm I predict that Windows 11 will have a new look and the Start button will no longer reside in the lower left corner of the screen by default. The guts will be more like a version 10.1 than a full version rollout. My crystal ball is getting foggy now, so that's all I can say.
Oh goody! I will spend the next three years looking for the start button. :wink: The ribbon for Office was bad enough, still trying to find things after all of these years in Excel.
A fool and his money are good for business.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am
02nz wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:41 am Windows 2000 was indeed great, but it was basically Windows NT 5 and thus not part of the consumer line, which merged with the NT line in XP.
Gotcha. I suppose you're right in that Windows 2000 wasn't really marketed to the consumer market, it was more of a workplace product. It came in both workstation and server versions, as did NT, and I used it quite a bit in my workplace prior to XP's rollout.
Yep, that's why I left it out. But I agree--it was innovative and great! And, despite being technically a server build, I recognize how widely it was used by those in the know back in those days. The real reason for XPs success was being built on 2000; such a great OS.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:38 pm Well, color me surprised. They've been saying for years "Windows 10" was the final branding, though of course they have still put out annual versions to continue patching. I work in tech and am definitely not an early adopter. As today is the first I've heard of it, it will be at least a year, probably longer, before I'm tempted to try it
It was the "final branding" for whatever product manager was in charge of the Windows product line when Windows 10 was introduced 6 years ago. There's probably a new product manager now who understands you have to make a marketing splash every once in a while, so it's time for new branding. PC makers like Dell and HP will embrace this with huge marketing campaigns because "new version of Windows" equals "new PC" for many people (even if it's not justified).

From what I've read/seen Windows 11 is just the next increment of Windows 10. Microsoft has made fairly significant updates to Windows 10 every 6 to 12 months since it was released. This time they're rumored to be making substantial updates to the visuals, which seems worthy of calling it a new version. Otherwise it's just Windows as it has been.

I predict it will be a free update to everyone currently running Windows 10 (and possibly older versions, maybe as far back as Windows 7).
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

It's just a light reskin unless you were super married to the start menu looking exactly how it does. Nothing to be concerned about. I watched a video where they uncentered the icons and voila it was basically Windows 10 with rounded corners.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

According to this article, it's not such a much:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/tech/win ... index.html
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

2024 is the only release date that I've read about.
meebers

Post by meebers »

bighatnohorse wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:00 pm 2024 is the only release date that I've read about.
Speculation?? is that Windows App Development (Windows 11) will show up on June 24 at 3pm ET. Watch it live "www.elevenforum.com/t/watch-microsoft-e ... une-24.35/" :sharebeer . There are hundreds of users, perhaps thousands running W11 (leaked version) now.
jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 »

nedsaid wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:59 pm Oh goody! I will spend the next three years looking for the start button. :wink: The ribbon for Office was bad enough, still trying to find things after all of these years in Excel.
It's ironic that those who prefer the traditional Windows 7/XP/98/95 interface have to use Linux to get it. MX Linux and Linux Mint are examples of Linux distros that offer such an interface.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

jhsu802701 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 am
nedsaid wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:59 pm Oh goody! I will spend the next three years looking for the start button. :wink: The ribbon for Office was bad enough, still trying to find things after all of these years in Excel.
It's ironic that those who prefer the traditional Windows 7/XP/98/95 interface have to use Linux to get it. MX Linux and Linux Mint are examples of Linux distros that offer such an interface.
It is just that it takes years to really learn your way around a program and to get really skilled. When the interface is completely reorganized, it forces users into a relearning process.
A fool and his money are good for business.
hudson

Post by hudson »

chris319 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 am What do people hear about Windows 11? Supposedly it will be released toward the end of 2021.

The transition from Windows 7 to 10 went smoothly for me, then it was a bumpy ride after that. IMO Microsoft released Windows 10 a few years too soon and have been playing catch-up ever since.

The end of support for Windows 10 is October 14, 2025. I think I'll continue using 10 for as long as possible (until it won't update any more) before installing 11.

I dread the thought of having to pave my machine and install Windows anew and get all the settings just the way I had them before. I also hope they don't bloat the OS with a bunch of useless gimmicks and whirligigs.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/14/2253 ... pport-date
I'm still having withdrawal problems from DOS 3.3 :)
My plan is to read about the new version of Windows and see if anything excites me.
I'm usually an early adopter, but I would wait for the official release.
I'll likely wait until the mood strikes.
I hope the next version works with Microsoft Money.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

jhsu802701 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 am So the Linux Mint team took over the flagging MATE project (a continuation of GNOME 2) and rolled out Cinnamon (based on GNOME 3). Linux Mint found a way to modernize while retaining the traditional desktop.
Cinnamon is a bit too heavy for my low-spec laptops, but last I tried, it had a feature I hadn't seen anywhere else -- a slider to select the width of scrollbars.

I don't know what Windows is doing these days with scrollbars, but Linux is big on super skinny scrollbars which are a PITA. I wish the sliders were in more desktop environments than just Cinnamon.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jhsu802701 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 am I think you'd like Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu but offers a more traditional desktop. The Linux Mint team is the most productive of all. They had quite a dilemma when it was time to replace the old GNOME 2 desktop that was popular but obsolete. They didn't like Unity or GNOME 3 as replacements. So the Linux Mint team took over the flagging MATE project (a continuation of GNOME 2) and rolled out Cinnamon (based on GNOME 3). Linux Mint found a way to modernize while retaining the traditional desktop.

Not sure why you like Cinnamon so much. GNOME3 is bad, but making it look like GNOME2 (which is what essentially Cinnamon is) seems bizarre to me. Because it is based on GNOME3, the memory consumption is higher than MATE or Xfce.
SS396

Post by SS396 »

If the PC you are using now originally ran Windows 7 then my guess is it must be more than 5 years old. The 5+ year old PC may not be compatible with Windows 11. The BIOS on the motherboard probably does not have the secure boot feature or trusted platform module that's required by Windows 11. Use Windows 10 for another 4 years and then decide if it is time to purchase a new PC if Microsoft will not continue support. Good luck.