Window shade recommendation on top down/bottom up motorized

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Saving$

Window shade recommendation on top down/bottom up motorized

Post by Saving$ »

It seems several companies are now selling top down/bottom up motorized shades. Have any Bogleheads had any experience with these particular type of shades, and if so, which brands? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Google indicates the top down/bottom up motorized are available from:
- Comfortex
- Solar Shield
- Hunter Douglas
- Alta
runswithscissors

Re: Window shade recommendation on top down/bottom up motorized

Post by runswithscissors »

I am curious as well. We have to outfit our new construction home with window treatments and the top-down, bottom-up shades were the most appealing. Some are in difficult to reach spots and would require full motorization. There is very limited information about the motorized ones online.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Saving$ wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:35 am It seems several companies are now selling top down/bottom up motorized shades. Have any Bogleheads had any experience with these particular type of shades, and if so, which brands? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Google indicates the top down/bottom up motorized are available from:
- Comfortex
- Solar Shield
- Hunter Douglas
- Alta
Every brand on your except Solar Shield is owned by Hunter Douglas.

Other brands to consider are Levolor and Graber.

Motorized shades will require a battery pack or wiring.

Hunter Douglas will be expensive. We have their motorized regular blinds in some upper windows, selected by original owner in 2005. Parts did not hold up well to sunlight. Just converted to remote battery packs, not attractive when open but we keep them closed.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

We went 'round and 'round with mechanizing, but concluded that unless hard wiring, it just wasn't practical. I can see it for a restaurant which needs to regularly and unobtrusively attenuate shading some stunning view for customers dining at dusk, but otherwise it can become just another unused gadget, like most of the electronics on a modern automobile. And if the motor quickly fails, one has to double down on one's investment - IIRC $500 per window.

Quality window treatments without mechanization are expensive enough. HD is the go-to brand for us. Sometimes they go on sale, but my guess is that now is not the best time as most home improvement companies are running flat out.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
papiper

Post by papiper »

blinds.com Levolor. Works fine.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Home Depot doesn't make blinds.

Most retailers and online sites don't make blinds.

Home Depot owns Blinds.com and other online companies, who sell brands and private label. Most blinds are made by Hunter Douglas-owned companies, which include Levolor, Comfortex, Alta, M&B...

Graber is owned by Springs Window Fashions, as is Bali.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:20 am HD doesn't make blinds.

Most retailers and online sites don't make blinds.

HD owns Blinds.com and other online companies, who sell brands and private label. Most blinds are made by Hunter Douglas-owned companies, which include Levolor, Comfortex, Alta, M&B...

Graber is owned by Springs Window Fashions, as is Bali.
For clarity, HD in the above = Home Depot, who owns blinds.com
Hunter Douglas (not Home Depot) own Alta, Comfortex, Levolor, etc.
Thanks to those who posted this info and got me googling the above

Since Hunter Douglas owns Alta & Comfortex, it makes sense that those are two of the other companies who make motorized top down, bottom up type.
ACN

Post by ACN »

We did blackout motorized for our master bedroom through Home Depot Bali blinds. Was like $600 for one blind, but that includes the gateway to wifi control it. So $200 cheaper for the next.

Looks exactly like our Hunter Douglas in the other room and it's motorized and a third of the price.

I opted for plug in, ran a wire next to window frame and had outlet right under the window. All you see is one foot of cord.

We have 18 foot tall ceiling in our living room. Currently, we have manual blinds that stay open all the time since they're a pain in butt to open and close with the extension stick. I'll probably motorize them eventually with batteries. But that's $400/window...9 windows... Adds up quick.

The hunter Douglas quote was like $1k for each blind +$300 to motorize