google assistant tracking Jersey Mike's app content?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

google assistant tracking Jersey Mike's app content?

Post by heartwood »

I'm not overly concerned about targeted ads. I'm not overly concerned about the many google speakers I have throughout the house.

I order Jersey Mike's subs every week or so using the android app. I did so last night. I always order the same sub.

Today in my Google Assistant feed on my phone, story number two is a link to a story and a website on "how to make a Jersey Mike's (the one I always order) sub at home.

Actually an interesting breakdown, but somewhat spooky.

Other stories show up there after I've googled things: coffee beans, actors, specific credit cards, Trader Joe's products, etc.

But this was an app only experience the morning after my order solely using the app.

Is there an explanation, beyond they're watching? Is there something I can do to block google seeing my app usage details?

Are they watching my app usage for Rx and medical insurance? All my other apps?
sycamore

Re: google assistant tracking Jersey Mike's app content?

Post by sycamore »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 pm Is there something I can do to block google seeing my app usage details?
Yes, use an iPhone.

Someone had to say it :-)

More seriously, you might want to review the terms and conditions of the the various apps you've installed to see what you agreed to by using the app. It's possible there's an agreement between an app and google allowing them to share data.

In the past, I've gone into my google account settings and turned off things that opted me in to various tracking. I don't keep up with privacy as much as I used to, so I'm not sure if there are more effective things you can do.

Here are a couple links to get you started:
All the Ways Google Tracks You—And How to Stop It: https://www.wired.com/story/google-tracks-you-privacy/
Bogleheads topic on Online Privacy and Security: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331763
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Looks like you may have agreed to it when you accepted Mike's privacy policy:
https://www.jerseymikes.com/privacy-policy
In particular, see Interactive Advertising Notice towards the bottom of the page.

Welcome to the Machine. :)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

Yes your apps and speakers and phone are listening to you. I’ll probably rail against this forever, but I can’t stand the intrusion of privacy. I’m sure it’s mentioned in the verge article, but look at the permissions each app has on your phone. Does jersey mikes need access to your microphone?

I read an article once that said speakers were listening for key words like “hardwood floors” so that they can target advertising. But if they’relistenting for “key words” aren’t they listening all the time, then?

There is a story out there about a couple who were in fact talking about hardwood floors, and their audio was mistakenly sent to a work contact of the husband!
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 pm Is there an explanation, beyond they're watching? Is there something I can do to block google seeing my app usage details?

You have a phone, and smart speakers, created by an advertising company.

Of course they are tracking your Rx info - particularly valuable for advertisers. If you want a sense of what is going on behind the scenes (to keep you providing data), here's a recent article. https://www.cnet.com/news/google-buried ... ocs-claim/
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

nordsteve wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 am
heartwood wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 pm Is there an explanation, beyond they're watching? Is there something I can do to block google seeing my app usage details?

You have a phone, and smart speakers, created by an advertising company.

Of course they are tracking your Rx info - particularly valuable for advertisers. If you want a sense of what is going on behind the scenes (to keep you providing data), here's a recent article. https://www.cnet.com/news/google-buried ... ocs-claim/
This is true. You should assume every app tracks you in some way. You should further assume that Google, Facebook, Amazon and Apple track your behavior in ways they are loathe to reveal.
vtjon

Post by vtjon »

If Jersey Mike sent you an order confirmation to your GMail account, then Google picked it up to provide the article. This pretty commonly happens to me. Although spooky, I do find it interesting most of the time.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

vtjon wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm If Jersey Mike sent you an order confirmation to your GMail account, then Google picked it up to provide the article. This pretty commonly happens to me. Although spooky, I do find it interesting most of the time.
a ha! That sounds like it might be an answer.
Supergrover wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:03 am
... but look at the permissions each app has on your phone. Does jersey mikes need access to your microphone?

I checked my permissions and I only have a number of legitimate permissions, e.g. waze, spotify, similar. No Jersey Mike's

But a good idea!