Afternoon tea in Boston?? Where??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mholdi1540

Afternoon tea in Boston?? Where??

Post by mholdi1540 »

Thanks for advice in advance. Planning trip to Boston in mid-July for a week. Hoping to find Afternoon Tea locations that take reservations at 4:00 P.M. or later. Called Bristol lounge at 4 Seasons on Boylston and closed and referred a new 4 Seasons close by but only take reservations up to 2:00 P.M. Staying in area are of Old North Church but will to travel any reasonable distance. Thanks for advice in advance!!
manuvns

Re: Afternoon tea in Boston?? Where??

Post by manuvns »

starbucks or your local coffee shop ?
Thanks!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum. I also edited the title to remove "all-caps" (see rules#AlsoRequire: "avoid posting in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or otherwise using distracting formatting").
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I saw tea being served at Trifecta the last time I was in Boston. Can't vouch for the quality but it looked like tea fare. According to their website, they only do it on the weekends.

https://www.opentable.com/r/trifecta-af ... tea-boston
gscook3

Post by gscook3 »

Sadly closed due to current circumstances but this would be my call were it open:
https://www.librarytea.com/courtyard
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

mholdi1540 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:40 pm Thanks for advice in advance. Planning trip to Boston in mid-July for a week. Hoping to find Afternoon Tea locations that take reservations at 4:00 P.M. or later. Called Bristol lounge at 4 Seasons on Boylston and closed and referred a new 4 Seasons close by but only take reservations up to 2:00 P.M. Staying in area are of Old North Church but will to travel any reasonable distance. Thanks for advice in advance!!
You might have some trouble finding a nice formal tea (that's what you are looking for, right?) given closures due to the pandemic.

The Fairmont Copley Plaza is one of the "Grand Dame" hotels in Boston, and I'd expect their tea to be quite nice.
IF they had that these days. They seem to be closed for tea as well.
I just called them to double check if their online listing was current, and...
...Ooops, it gets worse: Turns out they "haven't offered that for years" and they do not plan to offer it again in the future.
That's a shame. What is the world coming to...!? :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan »

One of our favorite stops in Boston was the Boston Tea Museum. The museum tour is part in a building, part on a boat. They used holograms in the explanation of the tea party act that was done very well.

I mention this museum because they have an informal tea room at the end of the tour which we really enjoyed. Here is a link and see if it is something you might enjoy.

https://www.bostonteapartyship.com/tea-room
chw

Post by chw »

2 choices come to mind, perhaps the Boston Ritz Hotel after an early afternoon spin on the Swan Boats in Boston Public Garden, or, the Boston Harbor Hotel overlooking Boston Harbor.

Unless you’re from Boston, one may not understand the Tea experience. I’m personally not into it, but DW and daughters did a Tea periodically during their childhood.
Last edited by chw on Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

manuvns wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:01 pm starbucks or your local coffee shop ?
A tall from Starbucks and a box of vanilla wafers and I'd be good.

Spouse took our kid to a fancy tea in Victoria Canada and the kid asked "Mommy are we rich?". Not like at home.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

The harbor? I've heard they have nice tea parties sometimes.
We plan. G-d laughs.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I love a good fancy afternoon tea! It is common for venues, especially grand hotels, to offer them only on the weekend, and 4 pm is pretty late--they're usually starting to clear for dinner not long after that. However, it looks like the Boston Harbor Hotel has good recommendations and it's serving daily till 4:30. The Mandarin Oriental's Lobby Lounge gets raves and the hours seem to run late for tea but I can't find mention of it on the website--I would call them and ask. Ditto for the Langham, which was undergoing a redesign. While it doesn't bode well that it's not easily findable on their websites the afternoon tea info is often tucked away somewhere odd, because it's usually in a lobby area rather than a restaurant.

Hope you find a nice place.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

The Fairmont might still offer it.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

manuvns wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:01 pm starbucks or your local coffee shop ?
Being Boston, I’d recommend Dunkin’ Donuts instead of Starbucks.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

few marriott resorts offer afternoon tea for free if you are staying there , that might make you feel rich for 200$

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... ollection/
Thanks!
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

gatorking

Post by gatorking »

https://www.thenewburyboston.com/dine
"Tea at The Newbury Salon
Perched upon the second story, overlooking treetops and luxury boutiques on Newbury Street, The Newbury Salon is the setting for our signature Afternoon Tea, a ritual reclamation perfect for the ultimate every day and occasioned party."
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I have a great establishment, founded in 1775. You can find it by the ships, in the harbor. :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

It's sometimes offered by the high end hotels. Expect maybe 40-50$ a person, if I remember well.
You have more success here if you ask about trucks, guns and alarm systems.
Totrep

Post by Totrep »

fposte wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm it looks like the Boston Harbor Hotel has good recommendations and it's serving daily till 4:30.
My wife and I went to the afternoon tea here after getting married at Belmont Town Hall ten years ago. From the website it doesn't appear to have changed much and at the time it was excellent!
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

A tea party? In Boston? What could go wrong? :happy
egrets

Post by egrets »

I live in a neighboring state and some of the historic houses here open to the public have actual teas but not very often. Might try looking for that, though. If you get desperate, you might ask your hotel well in advance if they could do this. I would expect to pay a lot if they do since it would be a special request. At least they probably know what a tea is.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Totrep wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 pm
fposte wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm it looks like the Boston Harbor Hotel has good recommendations and it's serving daily till 4:30.
My wife and I went to the afternoon tea here after getting married at Belmont Town Hall ten years ago. From the website it doesn't appear to have changed much and at the time it was excellent!
Yes! That looks like a tea :-)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

egrets wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:18 pm
Totrep wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 pm
Yes! That looks like a tea :-)
Bingo!

"Rowes Wharf Sea Grille is now open for Afternoon Tea on weekends! Beginning May 15th, Afternoon Tea will return daily from 2:30pm-4:30pm. "

There is a lovely view there, so when you make a reservation, do ask for a table with a good view.
Assuming you'll arrive circa 4pm, that shouldn't be difficult.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jodhpur

Post by jodhpur »

The Boston Public Library is a great idea. I should add it to my list of recommendations for people visiting town. And they did offer tea at one point. I take it for granted, but it's a pretty unique place.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

delete
Last edited by kimura king on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Although I've never had high tea in Boston, I'll second Rowe's Wharf (great harbor views) and the Boston Public Library (great architecture) as good spots in general.

For something a bit more casual, there's possibly (depending on COVID stuff) Trident on Newbury St. and L.A. Burdick in Harvard Square.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
sksavers3

Post by sksavers3 »

I had a lovely afternoon tea at The Langham a couple of years ago and would highly recommend it.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

I'm told an evening tea at the pier near the foot of Pearl St. has been a longstanding tradition since 1773.