Boston to Martha's Vineyard & Back - Advice Please !!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mholdi1540

Boston to Martha's Vineyard & Back - Advice Please !!

Post by mholdi1540 »

Thanks for advice in advance. Planning in mid-July trip from Boston to Martha's Vineyard and back same day trip. The information on the net is confusing and hope someone with practical experience can help. Staying in area of North Church. Question Peter Pan Bus tours but sounds like they dump you at Hyannis Post or Cape Cod Port and you are then responsible to purchase ferry ticket and are on your own to do such or get left behind. Hoping to find something that gets you there and back without missing ride because you are dumped on the dock to fend for yourself. All practical advice appreciated including other ways to get there and back in same day !!
Misenplace

Re: Boston to Martha's Vineyard & Back - Advice Please !!

Post by Misenplace »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how we spend our money and time).

Moderator Misenplace
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I thought you'd never ask! I have made this journey many times by all different methods.

(1) Peter Pan bus is a good option because it picks you up at either BOS airport or South Station and drops you off right in front of the Steamship Authority terminal in Woods Hole. The bus drop off is literally between the ferry itself and the office where you purchase tickets and you cannot miss it.
Boston to MV transit time (incl. ferry): 4.5 hrs

(2) Book a car service (I use Pro Limo at $160 + tip one way) from Boston to Woods Hole and take the ferry over. The drivers do this trip all day and its much more pleasant and significantly faster than the bus since there are no stops. If I am not driving my own car onto the boat, this is the way I do it.
Boston to MV transit time (incl. ferry): 2.5 hrs

(3) Book a ticket on Cape Air. Fastest transit time though the airport security etc adds a bit. Tickets are $200-300 each way in a 9-seat Cessna, but the 40 min flight time goes by fast and views are great landing at Martha's Vineyard Regional Airport. Uber can get you to hotel from airport (skip the van taxis).
Boston to MV transit time: 40 min flight + airport time

Hope this helps! You'll have a wonderful time in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
marys-dad

Post by marys-dad »

We have had a home in MV since 2001 and have tried every method. Make it easy on yourself. Book Pro Limo to take you straight from Boston to Woods Hole. Walk into the ticket office in Woods Hole after they drop you off (it’s right there) and buy a round trip passenger ticket. It’s super easy. Then just walk onto the next boat going. There is limited vehicle capacity on the boats but essentially unlimited space for walk on passengers. Be mindful that boats go to both Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs, but a passenger ticket works for both and you can arrive one port and depart the other. Bus is ok but gets crowded and noisy and scramble for seats. Have a nice ride take Pro Limo you won’t regret that. Don’t forget to book them for the return too. That’s going to take a little planning since they need time to wait for you, you can’t just call them from the ferry on your way back.

Do give some consideration to how you’re going to get around the island once you get over there. That’s in many ways the bigger question.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

On weekends there is also train service on the “cape flyer” which is timed for the ferry in Hyannis
QBoy

Post by QBoy »

A day trip is MV is very rushed. Much better if you can spend a night or two.