Any pilots actually find utility in GA flying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MikeZ

Any pilots actually find utility in GA flying?

Post by MikeZ »

Open ended question. Alwsys wanted to learn to fly. Problem has been knowing enough people who got their PPL and then have not taken to the air in years. Not counting money, I'm wondering how much of that was the lack of utility it provided them.

So Bogleheads pilots, other than the joy of flying, esp from a GA single piston, what utility do you get from it?
Daryl

Re: Any pilots actually find utility in GA flying?

Post by Daryl »

Zero utility. I’m a Private Pilot (VFR only), and our club has a Cessna 150. I fly simply because it is so much fun and I enjoy striving to become a more proficient pilot.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

What do you mean by "utility"?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

As a Commercial pilot and former flight instructor with about 3500 hours, I would caution you that if you don't plan on also getting the Instrument rating after getting your PPL that you'll probably not be able to get the "utility" that it appears you're asking about.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

No, not on the East Coast anyway. There's probably some transportation value out west and obviously Alaska is another matter altogether.

I got my private and instrument 12 years ago now. It was fun and I'm glad I did it, but the utility (relative to driving or flying commercial) wasn't a net gain. If you're going into it with aspirations of flying hundreds of hours a year and cutting 8 hour travel days down to 2, you'll be disappointed.

It wasn't just the money. I found it was getting stressful to monitor the weather days ahead (even with the instrument rating), maintain proficiency to my level of comfort, get the plane maintained regularly, and on and on. It just wasn't "fun" after a while.
papiper

Post by papiper »

I grew up in another state and moved 6 or 7 times in my working career. We have relatives and friends all over, so we always have someone to see on most flights. Would it have been cheaper in the long run to pay for airfare even for a family of 5? Maybe, but I know we would never have gone a tenth of the adventures we have. No lines, you get to the airport right at your destination and leave whenever you want.

Pilots I know that grew up where they now live get tired to just tooling around the local area. Those that get their instrument rating and go places - they keep it up.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 am No, not on the East Coast anyway. There's probably some transportation value out west and obviously Alaska is another matter altogether.
I owned a vintage Mooney for 30 years, the first 10 based on the East Coast near Norfolk VA. There were significant personal travel options, including easy transportation to visit family in NJ and FL.

I relocated to Memphis and found GA afforded me even more travel options that would have been difficult via the airlines. With very few nonstop commercial flights to my destinations, I could typically nearly match the airline times. Often my destination wasn’t even served via the airlines.
Last edited by neilpilot on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

My short answer is no. And the $100 hamburger is now at least $200. So I only fly model airplanes these days.