Used car experts chime in, a Used 2013 Infiniti G37x w/ 62k miles for $15k, a good deal or no?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Munie

Used car experts chime in, a Used 2013 Infiniti G37x w/ 62k miles for $15k, a good deal or no?

Post by Munie »

I plan on putting 5k down and financing the rest through a credit union at a little over 4%. The vehicle had a minor accident in the front according to the carfax but the car was drivable. Overall the car looks good and drives good so I’m wondering should I pull the trigger on this purchase?
Kenkat

Re: Used car experts chime in, a Used 2013 Infiniti G37x w/ 62k miles for $15k, a good deal or no?

Post by Kenkat »

According to KBB, the private party range is $13,500 - $16,000:

https://www.kbb.com/infiniti/g/2013/g37 ... eid=382445
rrt

Re: Used car experts chime in, a Used 2013 Infiniti G37x w/ 62k miles for $15k, a good deal or no?

Post by rrt »

I'd see if I could find a independent mechanic to check it out thoroughly first but that's just me. Major weakness of Infiniti is if it is automatic tranny. They are Jatco and the automatics aren't known for their reliability especially past the 100k mileage point. Have them run deep scan of the the computers and check everything.

We have wife's 2009 with mid 80k on the mileage and have always been happy. But she drives it pretty gently. Had it since new. She had never had a brand new vehicle off the lot, that's what she wanted so that's what she got.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Seems like a good deal (relatively speaking), considering that no used car is a good deal right now.

I have a 2005 G35 w/141k miles and love it (drive it hard).

Big problem with NIssans is their horrific clearcoat. Maybe it has gotten better, but many of them fade/peel.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

That's a fast little car for a very decent price.

We owned a used 2007 G35X for 10 years with no problems when we sold it at a bit under 100K miles - and a 2012 M37X bought in 2017 - purchased with 22,000 miles for $22,000. So far at 75,000 miles no problems.

They are decent cars with a great engine and performance, subject to high depreciation when bought new and sold used.

If a good mechanic gives the OK - buy it. Or it could be a basket case you won't want to touch.

The Jatco 7 speed transmission in that car isn't as good as the previous 5-speed it used to have. It can be little funky in how it shifts in daily driving. Get the trans fluid changed if you buy it, for longevity's sake.

Our M37X is tuned and lowered and driven hardish. :sharebeer
Watty

Post by Watty »

It might be OK to buy a car like that for cash but I would be real hesitant to get a car loan to buy an 8 or 9 year old car that might not be paid off until it is 12+ years old depending on how long your car loan is. There is just too much risk that you will be dealing with car payments and significant car repairs at the same time.

By the time the car is paid off it might not be that long before it would need to be replaced.

An alternative to consider is that you could buy a basic new car for around $20K with a car loan and you could have if paid before the powertrain warranty ends and it should last you for many more years so you could keep saving your "car payment" each month so that by the time you need a replacement car you may be able to pay cash for it.

Obviously something like a Corolla, Civic, or Elantra would not be in the same class but they would be a lot more practical and they may have a lot of advanced safety features.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

You are buying an 8 year old car for $15,000. It has below average mileage but it is still an 8 year old car with a good chance that those are harder stop and go miles. I no experience with this car, but I have seen very high estimates for maintenance and repair costs for this car, as in a few thousand every year. Can you do any of the work yourself? Have you checked out the insurance costs? It seems like it might be the kind of car that can have above average costs for that too.

How are your finances? Buying a $15,000 car and using a 4% loan makes me think that you may still be getting started on establishing your financial foundation. Please just think about this carefully.
andy8921

Post by andy8921 »

I have a 2010 G37x with 178,000 miles that is still going strong. Nothing other than routine maintenance. $15,000 sounds like a fair price.