Hawaii Rental Car: Best Way to Book to Ensure Your Car is Actually There

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heartwood

Re: Hawaii Rental Car: Best Way to Book to Ensure Your Car is Actually There

Post by heartwood »

Thanks, I recognize that timing, but am looking for some ground truth.

Sandtrap, were any of your Enterprise experiences recent?
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

I was in Hawaii a few weeks ago. I rented a car thru Turo in Oahu and on the Big Island. The rentals must be prepaid although they are usually cancellable in a certain timeframe. Your chance of not being able to get the car when you arrive is negligible since you are reserving the actual vehicle not the concept of a vehicle in a class size. On the downside, you do not have a large company standing behind the vehicle. If it breaks down, you might have a hard time getting the owner to put you in a new vehicle. On the Big Island, we had an older model minivan and the battery was no good, temporarily stranding us in a remote area. Luckily, they were able to switch us out to a different similar vehicle because they happened to have one.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

seawolf21 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 am
brian91480 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:48 pm
brian91480 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 pm
It does sounds like 1985. In 1985, travel agencies would have had clout with air/hotel/rental partners as majority of bookings went thru agencies. Thus commissions were paid.

I don't think that's going to happen today with current car rental shortage in Hawaii. Travel agent is going to be placed on hold like everyone else and still can't magically make a car available if none are available and that's assuming you can even get your OTA (such as Expedia) on the phone to begin with.
I thought the same thing about 6 months ago. But I've gotten to know a travel agent in the past year... an endangered species of today's workforce. I've also gotten to know several people in her circle who have been clients... and I've heard a few stories from them. Agents still have clout.
I don't see how any agent especially mom-n-pop agents can pull a car out of thin air. If you're dealing with an OTA, it may take awhile just for them to pickup the phone while you are at the counter.

The problem is not confirmed reservations are not resulting in cars. The problem is confirmed reservations not resulting in a car at the confirmed time. Reports from earlier this year is even if you are elite you still have to stand in line for cars to be returned/cleaned as the lot is bare.

While the elite line is shorter than the non-elite line, there is still a wait. As one point some agencies have resorted to taking down phone numbers and tell renters to make their own way to their hotel and will receive a text to come back when a car is available because the wait stretched into hours waiting for cars to be returned.

Let's say the rental company does tell you your reservation cannot be honored. Your agent is somehow is able to book a new reservation with another agency because they have clout. Then why didn't the agent book with this company to begin with? You will then still have to stand in line at the new company and wait behind all those others ahead waiting for cars. In order to make use of this clout, how do you find which travel agent has clout and which doesn't and clout with which rental company?

The situation appeared to have improved. Recent reports last couple of weeks at Hertz/National OGG/HNL are cars are readily available under the "pick your car" model (Ultimate Choice/Emerald Aisle). Some of the cars are even low mileage.
I thought the same thing... 6 months ago.
So how would one actually be able to make use of this?

How do you find a travel agent with clout? If mom-n-pop how do you find the ones with clout and ones without?

If OTA, hit or miss just getting to a person. I was on hold for about two hours just to speak to someone at Expedia last week…. Twitter non responsive.
Expedia is the ***POLAR OPPOSITE*** of a travel agent. Of course you had a horrible experience going down that path. That's probably worse than calling the cable company. 👎👎

Travel agent = you have someone's direct phone number. They answer if you call. They solve the problem... if a problem arises.

What I've concluded for myself is:

1. If I'm traveling domestically... I'll wing it myself.

2. If I'm traveling internationally... travel agent is the way to go.

I view this as an insurance policy that hopefully I'll never need to collect on. But even if I never need to collect, it still brings me peice of mind knowing that I have that phone number on stand by.
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

The Maui Public Bus is what you should use. It's largely affluent tourists rather than the hoi polloi you'd encounter elsewhere and it only costs like $5. It's far cheaper and more fun than a rental car.
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

We booked with Costco Travel months ago, and got a great deal for end of May in the big island through Avis. No issues at all.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

In OGG today. Plenty of cars to go around for Hertz and Avis. Hertz Gold members had enough vehicles to choose their own.

Avis app even let you pick different vehicles.
takeabiteoflife

Post by takeabiteoflife »

Landed in OGG this past week and no issues with Hertz. There were many cars to choose from.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

A WSJ "A-HED" article I read last week:

You Can Vacation in Hawaii. But Good Luck Finding a Rental Car.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hawaii-see ... 1625069851

Based on this thread, it seems Hawaii rental cars are a YMMV situation in more ways than one :happy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

snackdog wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 pm Agencies were full of cars in Maui last week. We had a Chevy Impala for $240/wk.
Not the case for Oahu. We have reservations for Sept and Oct at $1650/month. I just checked for lower rates and what's available either through Costco or directly from rental agencies are showing in the $3900+ range for a 30 day rental for any vehicle at all, with most having nothing.

I made Jan/Feb/Mar reservations a couple of months ago in the $2200/2200/1600 range. Then we changed our flight in to 3 days later and all the sites are showing no cars at all for early January. We may have to change our flight and pay the $1400 airfare difference we saw by booking that later date.

Of course as the Subject refers to will your car actually be there?
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

We were at both Oahu and Maui about a month ago. We had rental cars originally booked through Costco but USAA was far cheaper. No problems with availability at the airport but both had to verify the Safe Travels QR code at a desk so we couldn't go directly to a car. The cars in Maui (well, the compact cars) were the most beat cars I've seen in a long time. They had the damage form and I don't think there was a panel that I didn't mark something down. In Maui we had 4 or 5 to pick from, but as we pulled out after loading up some other groups were waiting for cars to pulled in.

Edit: I just checked and we were with Hertz in both locations, around 70/day for a medium sized car in Oahu and 90/day for a compact in Maui.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

"You're good at taking the reservation, you're just not good at holding the reservation"

Jerry Seinfeld
https://seinfeldmemes.com/you-know-how- ... servation/
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

vested1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 am "You're good at taking the reservation, you're just not good at holding the reservation"

Jerry Seinfeld
Love that episode, now I have to go watch it again :beer
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

ponyboy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:25 am If you rented a car, they'll have something there for you. THere has been many times where we rent economy, they have no economy, so we're upgraded. They cant just not give you a vehicle if you have a reservation.
Actually they can...I've had it happen to me before in a small airport in Michigan...

Showed up with a reservation...didn't have a car for me. None of their cars were returned as expected...was SOL. Complained but what else can you do? Ended up using a taxi the whole time. Wasn't happy.
investor.was.here

Post by investor.was.here »

Will be on the big island next Tues so had the same concern. When I booked, there were no cars to rent at all at any price so I booked Turo ($180/day for a Camry). I noticed a week later Hertz put some up so I snagged a reservation there and canceled the Turo. Using my company discount, I'm only paying $30/day. Would like to upgrade but back to no cars. Oh well. Anyway, I called and they told me they'll get a car one way or another, they haven't had to turn anyone away yet.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

DetroitAvant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:27 am ...

Edit: I just checked and we were with Hertz in both locations, around 70/day for a medium sized car in Oahu and 90/day for a compact in Maui.
I just checked Hertz. Yes they are taking reservations for early January on Oahu, but lowest price is $1659/week for a 2 door 4 seat Managers Special. They say that's $7700 a month. Most of their cars are in the $6k to $15k /month range. So $200/day to $500/day.

But they are taking reservations.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:03 pm
DetroitAvant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:27 am ...

I just checked Hertz. Yes they are taking reservations for early January on Oahu, but lowest price is $1659/week for a 2 door 4 seat Managers Special. They say that's $7700 a month. Most of their cars are in the $6k to $15k /month range. So $200/day to $500/day.

But they are taking reservations.
We made our reservations a earlier (but not as early as you) but I do recall seeing 'Not Available' on and off leading up, but it was better to have something and then cancel/rebook than to wait and hope that something would show up. I checked Costco and saw nothing available, but USAA had Hertz Luxury Land Rovers for Jan 2nd-30th for $3k which were cheaper than the regular car categories. Better than your number if you qualify. :happy
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:19 am
snackdog wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 pm Agencies were full of cars in Maui last week. We had a Chevy Impala for $240/wk.
Not the case for Oahu. We have reservations for Sept and Oct at $1650/month. I just checked for lower rates and what's available either through Costco or directly from rental agencies are showing in the $3900+ range for a 30 day rental for any vehicle at all, with most having nothing.
See if you can get a company discount code. Budget has Oahu for about $700/ mo in Sept.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Five (5) Month Old Thread.

I have a PSA: if you've booked Hawaii rental cars for Jan (and other months), recheck your bookings.

Rates for January are dropping by the day. Five months ago it was hard to find any car and rates were in the $6000 or more range for 30 days. I tried a lot and finally got a $2300 special rate on a 30 day rental through Costco, booked months ago when no cars were generally available or in the $3000+ range. Then rates generally went up (see my 7/29 post above with quotes over $7k).

Until last week. My $2300 rate went down to $1900, a couple of days ago to $1800. Today to $1656 for an intermediate car. A $600+ change in a week, roughly $20/day. My rentals right now are Budget in January, Budget in Feb and Alamo in March. Costco makes it easy to look at Avis, Alamo, Budget and Enterprise at the same time. Also easy to book and cancel.

I also just got an email directly from Avis offering "limited time" 25% discounts with a code. I looked at it on the Avis site to use their code. It came back $1300 and change. Then as I went to book it went to the details page and came back at over $1800+, after the added taxes and fees of $500+ that were not disclosed on the previous page. The same car at Avis through Costco is $1650 including all tax and fees, so much for a discount directly from Avis.

As a reference, pre-pandemic rates were generally in the $900 - $1100 range for a 30 day rental through Costco for a better car.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

I have no idea of the correlation, if any, but Hawaii has set new Covid infection records twice this week. Of course, probably so have most other places.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

History, perhaps no longer relevant:
To beat the rush at Kona airport on Big Island, leaving the plane, I walk fast on the tarmac, through the gate, into the terminal, then turn right at the first available exit to the outside sidewalk to where the not-large shuttle van to the rental car lot, is waiting. Sitting near the van door on its first trip, and early to the car lot, improves your chances. DW waits to get the baggage, and sometimes I am back to the terminal with the car, before she is out at the curb, so I sit in the taxi staging area until then.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

jarjarM wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am
vested1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 am "You're good at taking the reservation, you're just not good at holding the reservation"

Jerry Seinfeld
Love that episode, now I have to go watch it again :beer
I only clicked on this thread to see if someone had left a comment with a link to that episode.

That's the beauty of getting older. You forget what you did yesterday, but you can watch every movie for the first time because you don't remember seeing it before. :sharebeer