Satelite Phone Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
loopback1

Satelite Phone Recommendation

Post by loopback1 »

Looking for feedback on the best Satellite phone and provider for emergencies and minimal communication when camping in North America.

SMS and data would be nice to haves, but not required.

I'm currently looking between the Iridium (probably 9575) and Blue Cosmo Inmarsat IsatPhone 2.1.

Thanks in advance
DoTheMath

Re: Satelite Phone Recommendation

Post by DoTheMath »

My father uses a Garmin inReach when he camps and hunts in the CO mountains. He's been happy with it. It allows for two-way texting via satellite and pairs with a smartphone as well.

I realize this is the opposite of what you're asking for, but others might find it useful.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have a Garmin inReach Mini. It is NOT a phone, but does allow satellite text messages. It is arguably the best / lightest device out there though there are new devices coming on the market all the time. It has an SOS button, too.

Furthermore, one can turn on tracking, so that folks back at home can see where the device is located and one has a memory of where they went. Of course, this can eat up the battery, but Garmin devices are rechargeable easily from a lightweight portable power bank. But if one forgets to turn on tracking or perhaps keeps it off on purpose, then no tracking for the home folks.

I have rented satellite phones for something like $15 a day plus talktime if used.

And of course, satellite communicators do not work in caves nor narrow canyons with steep sides.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
thinair

Post by thinair »

Another vote for Garmin Inreach. Both the phone app (Earthmate) and bluetooth connection to my iPhone seemed to have improved stability while I was in Alaska last month. It uses the Iridium satellite network and will function world-wide. I can suspend and restart my data plan as needed (I assume that feature is generally available; I've had mine for several years).
thedane

Post by thedane »

Get a Garmin InReach. I've used mine from Canada to Antarctica. It is an amazing device.
It utilizes the Iridium satellite network, so you have true global coverage.

Texting only, no voice. Which has never been a problem for me. The tracking feature is a nice optional feature as well.
It also includes a emergency SOS button https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=d ... b0Zh8L4El6 on the side that establishes communications with GEOS for emergency response. I strongly recommend to get the associated search and rescue (SAR) insurance to go along with it.

If you want actual voice, get a device that uses the Iridium network. Be ready for latency, clear line of sight to the sky, bulky devices, etc.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

+1 for inreach.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I use an inreach mini. The safety plan isn't expensive. REI just had these on sale too.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I wanted to add one more note about these devices: It can take a while to "lock in" on the constellation of satellites that the device uses for text messages. Do not expect to turn it on and be able to send a message that will be received seconds later. The device can find satellites faster if it has not moved far in position or it has been a short time since it last was used. I will not explain the details of why, but I fully expect someone else to jump in and do so.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
loopback1

Post by loopback1 »

It was not what I planned, but given the feedback I think I'm going to try the inReach. Thanks everyone!
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

Good choice.

The InReach mini is 4 ounces you’ll be happy to carry.

Sure, texting that way is a little slower than usual on your phone - but you still use your phone to do it, and it works anywhere.

I sold mine a couple of years ago because I had no near-term need for it and because I was betting that some other satellite network would emerge to make it obsolete.

That hasn’t happened yet and doesn’t appear to be happening any time soon. You should get good use from your purchase.

Cyclist
certifiedfordtec

Post by certifiedfordtec »

I have the Zoleo communicator. Has similar functions as the Garmin. Works well when I use it. No phone at my cabin so it's nice to be able to tell the wife that I am ok.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Several Garmin handheld GPS units have the inReach function as well. I have the 66i (wait until Black Friday or closer to Christmas). You can use preset text messages, the "pick-a-letter" keyboard, or your smartphone. Of course if I had money to burn I'd get a SAT-Phone as well. :D :D
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller