Compendium of general consumer issues threads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Compendium of general consumer issues threads

Post by LadyGeek »

The consumer forum is filled with many different topics and it can be difficult to find exactly what you're looking for. It would be helpful to point members where they can start.

Based on a member suggestion, below is a list of general discussion threads. This is not intended to be a list of "best of" threads, only threads of a general nature which contain reviews and / or recommendations for the subject at-hand.

If these threads don't answer your question or you'd like help with your own situation, then please search the forum for an existing thread or start a new thread.

To keep things simple, the categories are broadly defined and limited to 5 threads in each category. Feel free to post suggestions, but they should be in the spirit of a general discussion. This is not intended to be a comprehensive list.

Books Computers, cellphones, and electronics Construction, Contracting, and General Building, Remodeling, and Repairs including DIY
  • (open for suggestions)
Entertainment Financial Exercise Food Nature Transportation Travel and where to live
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Compendium of general consumer issues threads

Post by Sandtrap »

Great list.
Thanks for arranging it.
Thanks for your great work moderating.

Here's Two Suggestion topics and categories for:

Construction, Contracting, and General Building, Remodeling, and Repairs including DIY
(sub-categories)
1. Project Visualization, Planning, DIY Cost Estimating and Project Management (prior to bidding or DIY).
2. Project Management
a) DIY
b) Owner Builder
c) G.C. or Contractor oversight and accountability.
3. DIY: from "toilet leaks" to remod to alternations. Having fun. Keeping it safe and saving money.
4. Permits, Building Codes, etc. (not legal advice)

*dislaimer: everyone does things differently and has different experiences.

Boglehead Life
(mirrors the "birds seen today" thread but is a sort of "bogleheads life today") (silly)

What we do, brings us together, keeps us together.
(includes)
"A descriptive and/or pictorial input of what we did or experienced today "as a boglehead".
"The results and rewards of staying on "the path", "staying the course".
"Places, activities, scenery, "the things of Life".
"Things substantive (to you) and real that can be shared and perhaps done by others as well"
(excludes)
Conceptual or imaginary (must be what was done, saw, happened, event, etc).
Anything argumentative, and all that, per the usual forum guidelines for non supportive input.
*** cell phone pictures are fine. (This is not a photography equipment thread although that can be shared as well)

Examples:
1. Picture watching the sunset on the lst day of retirement. (life is good, it was worth planning and saving and investing).
2. Description of a well earned family vacation and the lst sight of Yosemite, Dome Rock.
3. Description or picture of a brand new Lotus Elite bought for oneself as a retirement gift to "self".
4. (open to suggestions)

I've thought about #2 for a long time and the success of the "birds seen today" is inspiring. So any ideas on this one would be great. The goal is unity.

I hope this is helpful
Just my o2.
Aloha
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I added a "Financial" category which brings this up to 10 categories. I'll stop there.

Arbitrary rule: If we want to add categories, then an existing category should be removed or combined with another category. The total number of threads in each category is limited to 5.

Disclaimer: I may be showing a bias for certain threads.
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:02 am Here's Two Suggestion topics and categories for:

Construction, Contracting, and General Building, Remodeling, and Repairs including DIY
(sub-categories)

Boglehead Life
(mirrors the "birds seen today" thread but is a sort of "bogleheads life today") (silly)

(includes)
Thanks. I incorporated your suggestion for (1). For (2), general lifestyle is not a consumer issue. To explain, bird photographs are in support of the discussion about birds.

As you've noted, "Anything argumentative... per forum guidelines" means that moderators will have to make an artistic judgment. Moderating a bird picture is straight-forward. Moderating visual content for "general" topics is very, very difficult from that perspective. Imposing artistic judgment on the moderators won't end well for either side (we use our discretion). I don't think we should go in this direction.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:30 am I added a "Financial" category which brings this up to 10 categories. I'll stop there.

Arbitrary rule: If we want to add categories, then an existing category should be removed or combined with another category. The total number of threads in each category is limited to 5.

Disclaimer: I may be showing a bias for certain threads.
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:02 am Here's Two Suggestion topics and categories for:

(sub-categories)

Boglehead Life

(includes)
Thanks. I incorporated your suggestion for (1). For (2), general lifestyle is not a consumer issue. To explain, bird photographs are in support of the discussion about birds.

As you've noted, "Anything argumentative... per forum guidelines" means that moderators will have to make an artistic judgment. Moderating a bird picture is straight-forward. Moderating visual content for "general" topics is very, very difficult from that perspective. Impose artistic judgment on the moderators won't end well for both sides (we use our discretion). I don't think we should go in this direction.
+1
Great points.

Per #1
Yes. There are so many sub topics here that overlap.

Per #2
I can see how often threads and topics get so easily "off the rails". Agreed!

Good call as always.
aloha
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

For the Computers category, I would suggest selecting one of the threads on password security and computer security. My own password security thread is probably too old for this, but here are some recent high-traffic threads on the topic:

Online Privacy and Security (Dec 2020, 78 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331763&p=5638219

How do YOU handle network security? (Oct 2020, 106 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327024&p=5531220

[Question regarding password security] (Sep 2020, 102 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=325393&p=5492631

Improving online security (Mar 2020, 70 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=306148&p=5070583
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Wow! Thank you, LadyGeek.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ You're welcome.
Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:37 pm For the Computers category, I would suggest selecting one of the threads on password security and computer security. My own password security thread is probably too old for this, but here are some recent high-traffic threads on the topic:

Online Privacy and Security (Dec 2020, 78 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331763&p=5638219

How do YOU handle network security? (Oct 2020, 106 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327024&p=5531220

[Question regarding password security] (Sep 2020, 102 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=325393&p=5492631

Improving online security (Mar 2020, 70 posts): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=306148&p=5070583
Thanks! I went with the first thread for security.

I agree it's important to have secure passwords and the easiest way to do that is with a password manager. There are lots of threads to choose from, so I went with Password manager. We can always find something better, but I wanted to make sure readers have a place to start.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:53 pm ^^^ You're welcome.
Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:37 pm For the Computers category, I would suggest selecting one of the threads on password security and computer security. My own password security thread is probably too old for this, but here are some recent high-traffic threads on the topic:

Thanks! I went with the first thread for security.

I agree it's important to have secure passwords and the easiest way to do that is with a password manager. There are lots of threads to choose from, so I went with Password manager. We can always find something better, but I wanted to make sure readers have a place to start.
What category does "2 factor authentication", etc, etc, go?

Another category:
"Business" (finance and/or investment, $$$, etc, related only).

aloha
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 am What category does "2 factor authentication", etc, etc, go?

Another category:
2-factor authentication is under "Computers, cellphones, and electronics".

Do you have an example for "Business"? Remember that we need to keep the focus on individual / personal finance (not questions about running your business).

I'd like to keep this as a "Top ten" category list. If we want to add a category, I could consolidate the book threads into Entertainment. (If anyone comes up with some good suggestions, I could bend the arbitrary rules a little.)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:17 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 am What category does "2 factor authentication", etc, etc, go?

Another category:
2-factor authentication is under "Computers, cellphones, and electronics".

Do you have an example for "Business"? Remember that we need to keep the focus on individual / personal finance (not questions about running your business).

I'd like to keep this as a "Top ten" category list. If we want to add a category, I could consolidate the book threads into Entertainment. (If anyone comes up with some good suggestions, I could bend the arbitrary rules a little.)
Ok.
Thanks so much. This authentication thing evolves and my senior brain tries to keep up with all the computer security topics. The forum has been great for tech newbs.

True: running a business, employee issues, etc, take business topics off the rails and, especially "running a business" "opens cans of worms". But, there is more to business than "running a business" and business is finance and businesses are investments as in investment finance. How to deploy those business profits in an investment strategy and retirement planning is a sound direction and IMHO and important mirror to a sound business plan (not discussed here).

There are lot's of posts that come and go, some locked, about businesses; inheriting, funding, structure, selling, development, etc,
So, true, the topic needs focus for forum continuity.

A good starting point is looking at business finance (money flow/growth/etc, et al) within the context of applying the forum wiki "bogle investment and "money" strategy basics" towards those business efforts.

For example:
Those that ask business questions in relation to portfolio outside diversification of income stream and assets etc.
Those that are selling businesses near retirement and have to deploy those funds (windfalls) into a "bogle portfolio".
(usually the best is to include, as in most windfalls, a portfolio review for greater context and better help).
Those that ask business questions in relation to funding a business or startup in relation to what % of an existing "boglehead" investment portfolio might be deployed that way so as not to compromise the financial stablity and retirement strategy that it already has.
Etc.
All of the above: kept personal as in "one's own business sale and portfolio, etc.

**Yes. There are other forums better suited to targeted queries on; business, R/E, etc.

I hope my meandering considerations are helpful.
Aloha
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You make good points, but those are related to questions that should go in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum and be directly actionable to the member to manage investments, not as a general discussion. This is how the site owners defined the intent of this forum - to be focused on individual investors. Other forums (not us) can certainly be helpful from a general perspective.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:59 am You make good points, but those are related to questions that should go in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum and be directly actionable to the member to manage investments, not as a general discussion. This is how the site owners defined the intent of this forum - to be focused on individual investors. Other forums (not us) can certainly be helpful from a general perspective.
+1
Well said.
Great points.

Thanks for your efforts.
Aloha
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

There really needs to be an HVAC thread or wiki
And maybe put in a real estate one also, but direct them elsewhere
Pale Blue Dot
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

4nursebee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 am There really needs to be an HVAC thread or wiki
And maybe put in a real estate one also, but direct them elsewhere
Agree on HVAC. Very common issue.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) is a good idea. If anyone can find a general discussion thread, post the link here.

A "primer" would also work. For example, here's one for power: A primer on backup battery systems for power outages. Anyone who's up to the challenge, feel free.

-------------
Remember that this forum is for consumer issues. Real estate discussions (financial) go in personal finance.

Consumer aspects of real estate should go under "Construction, Contracting, and General Building, Remodeling, and Repairs including DIY".

Location of real estate should go under "Travel and where to live".
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I added What is the BEST thing you spent money on? to the financial category.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Two suggestions:
1. For the Transportation category, the Does a cheap road bike really exist? thread is a good one.

2. In the case there's no BH thread here that helps a reader, where else might one go for help? The thread Other forums like bogleheads looks promising.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I added the bike thread. It is indeed a good one.

As for Other forums like bogleheads, I'm not sure how to categorize it.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:07 am Thanks, I added the bike thread. It is indeed a good one.

As for Other forums like bogleheads, I'm not sure how to categorize it.
Me neither. It could go in both no category and all categories, so...Miscellaneous? :)

Thanks for adding the bike thread.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I added Dark chocolate addicts: how much do you eat? to the food category.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I replaced the 2021 gardening thread with Gardening 2022.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have added Who's up for pickleball? Zero-zero-two. Game On! to the list in the first post.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I replaced the 2022 gardening thread with Gardening 2023.