Home Water Quality: Commercial Evaluation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Home Water Quality: Commercial Evaluation?

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

The black slime growing in/on our bathroom and kitchen faucets, as well as shower heads, has been a nuisance for awhile. I had samples tested by the local municipality which supplies the water, and it was determined to be benign. They suggested that a new house (like ours) is very "tight" and limited air exchange may be the reason for the biological growth, i.e. an airborne origin not the water.

I need a second opinion as to the source of the black slime, an outside lab or a Culligan-type commercial evaluation. Any suggestions and/or recommendations as to where I should pursue answers?
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Re: Home Water Quality: Commercial Evaluation?

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

I have significant and disturbing samples now. Who will test them for me?
bhwabeck3533 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:03 am The black slime growing in/on our bathroom and kitchen faucets, as well as shower heads, has been a nuisance for awhile. I had samples tested by the local municipality which supplies the water, and it was determined to be benign. They suggested that a new house (like ours) is very "tight" and limited air exchange may be the reason for the biological growth, i.e. an airborne origin not the water.

I need a second opinion as to the source of the black slime, an outside lab or a Culligan-type commercial evaluation. Any suggestions and/or recommendations as to where I should pursue answers?
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Use an independent lab certified by your state, not Culligan as they are not a neutral party (they want to sell you water treatment).

Serious question though: what are you going to test for?
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

If you're looking for commercial water testing services, here's one:
https://watercheck.com/collections/well-water-testing
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

If your municipality gets water from the ground, there might be reduced manganese (Mn(+2) in the water supply, which is considered benign and a nuisance element. Your water company should test for Mn and the results will be in their required drinking water quality report.
When Mn(+2) oxidizes, it forms a black precipitate. To test this hypothesis, fill a large glass jar and let is sit for awhile (Mn oxidation rates are slow relative to ferrous oxidation rates). Then filter or look at the coloring of the water. If the water clouds in the jar, it is likely an inorganic precipitate, if brown or black looking, it would be Mn, if red, it is likely Fe precipitates.
I'm not sure about the characterization as slime. I seen black and red spots a lot in sinks and on bath tubs when a faucets is dripping, the Fe and Mn precipates as a stain on the enamal surfaces.

When I turned off my old hot water heater for a time while on vacation and then turned it back on, there were black specks in the water itself. I was told that this was the gasket on the flexible joint on the output line of the hot water heater.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:03 am The black slime growing in/on our bathroom and kitchen faucets, as well as shower heads, has been a nuisance for awhile. I had samples tested by the local municipality which supplies the water, and it was determined to be benign. They suggested that a new house (like ours) is very "tight" and limited air exchange may be the reason for the biological growth, i.e. an airborne origin not the water.

Contact NAMSA:

https://namsa.com