Dark Chocolate heads Rejoice !!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
phxjcc

Re: Dark chocolate addicts: how much do you eat?

Post by phxjcc »

For you Dove fans, try the Trader Joe's bars, the three pack.
Excellent Dark Chocolate that they say is Belgian.....less sweet than Dove.

1/4 bar a day.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Horton wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks for all the recommendations, I've recently enjoyed trying a few out.
alpenglow wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:43 pm I usually have 5 or 6 Hu Gems after lunch. The bulk bags at Costco have been a decent value.
Hu Gems have become a personal favorite. My Costco doesn't have them, but I can get them at Whole Foods. I eat 12-15 after lunch though. :P
I'm so happy you like them!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post conjecturing on the health benefits of chocolate (medical advice). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ThePenGuy

Post by ThePenGuy »

Askinosie-a small, family-owned chocolate bar manufacturer in Springfield, MO. Three squares per day after lunch.
OMYx3

Post by OMYx3 »

If you are enjoying dark chocolate for the health benefits, you may want to look at the ingredients. If it says "processed with alkali," many of the nutrition benefits have been stripped away. You may be surprised how many dark chocolates are "processed with alkali." Just some food for thought.

We typically enjoy a square (or so) after lunch and dinner (always fun to see how it pairs with whatever wine we are drinking). But we also enjoy other desserts that are made from REAL food that are loaded with nutrition and satisfy our sweet cravings.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm currently experimenting with the 95% and 90% Lindt chocolates. The 95% is on the upper end of my range, but OK. I think the overall quality is a bit lower than Ghirardelli (doesn't offer 95% or 90%, but that's the general sense I get).

I also tried a small hunk of Trader Joe's 72% chocolate. Not bad.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:33 pm 72% Ghiradelli is just about right.

86% Ghiradelli is on the darker side, but it works.

I'll have 1/2 bar when I watch a movie, which is usually on the weekend.
Lindt has a 76% bar that seems to be the sweet spot, and they know it. I’ve noticed that it is always more expensive than the other percentages. Its my go-too. 😋
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I recommend Beyond Good Madagascar dark chocolate.

It has a nice berry flavor, common amongst chocolate from this region.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I still have difficulty not finishing a whole bar in one sitting. As a result I'm now rationing my purchases so I buy a bar only once every 2 or 3 grocery trips (I make 2-3 trips a week).
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

anoop wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 pm I still have difficulty not finishing a whole bar in one sitting. As a result I'm now rationing my purchases so I buy a bar only once every 2 or 3 grocery trips (I make 2-3 trips a week).
My solution is to prepare the bar in advance. I will often break off four squares from a 10-square Lindt bar, then break those four into four pieces each, and now I have a plate with 16 snacks to be rationed throughout the day (or 8 if I take two squares at once).
Wiki David Grabiner
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:35 am I'm currently experimenting with the 95% and 90% Lindt chocolates. The 95% is on the upper end of my range, but OK. I think the overall quality is a bit lower than Ghirardelli (doesn't offer 95% or 90%, but that's the general sense I get).

Try Trader Joe's 85% single origin Uganda bar.
anoop

Post by anoop »

grabiner wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:09 pm
anoop wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 pm I still have difficulty not finishing a whole bar in one sitting. As a result I'm now rationing my purchases so I buy a bar only once every 2 or 3 grocery trips (I make 2-3 trips a week).
My solution is to prepare the bar in advance. I will often break off four squares from a 10-square Lindt bar, then break those four into four pieces each, and now I have a plate with 16 snacks to be rationed throughout the day (or 8 if I take two squares at once).
I tried that but the pieces make it into my belly before I can even put it in a container. It’s just weird. Halfway through the process, I decide I need to quit eating chocolate, so I should just finish the whole bar and be done with it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

anoop wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:30 pm
I tried that but the pieces make it into my belly before I can even put it in a container. It’s just weird. Halfway through the process, I decide I need to quit eating chocolate, so I should just finish the whole bar and be done with it.
I fall prey to the "Okay, I'll just have one more piece and that's IT!" method.
Ha!
There is ALWAYS "one more piece", somewhere, somehow... if it's chocolate.
The best we can do is to get chocolate where each piece is pre-packaged. No little corner to bite off, and then take another nibble, and another.....

We just purchased one of those bags of the individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares. The truth will come out as soon as that bag gets opened.
:?:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jt90505

Post by jt90505 »

Endangered Species 88% Cocoa. It does not have the milk fat ingredient Ghirardelli 86% uses. I prefer the taste, you may want to compare the two.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:35 am I'm currently experimenting with the 95% and 90% Lindt chocolates. The 95% is on the upper end of my range, but OK. I think the overall quality is a bit lower than Ghirardelli (doesn't offer 95% or 90%, but that's the general sense I get).

Try the 100% Lindt- one square over the course of a day will satisfy most dark chocolate lovers. Once you have the 100%, the 95% and below, taste sweet.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
csm

Post by csm »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:14 pm Does anyone know of a top quality very dark chocolate (e.g. 85%?) that is packaged in small portions?

We try to eat "just one square", but it's soooo toooo easy to have "just one more square".
:annoyed

Something that is just solid dark chocolate, no soft filling like truffles. Those are too easy to eat fast...
Otherwise something like that would work, in terms of portion and packaging.

RM
Although it's only 72%, we just bought Bouchard Belgian Napolitains Premium Dark Chocolate from Costco which are all small, individually wrapped pieces. The type you might be given at a cafe with an espresso, or that are left on your pillow with turn-down service at a hotel. Also sold at Amazon but Costco's price is better if you don't mind purchasing 2 - 32 oz. bags at once.

I find it easy to just have one or two of these - they are quite small and they are just solid dark chocolate in bite-size pieces.
nps

Post by nps »

Ghirardelli has 92%
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Try the 100% Lindt- one square over the course of a day will satisfy most dark chocolate lovers. Once you have the 100%, the 95% and below, taste sweet.
I am not at all a chocolate addict, but my sister used to work here and bring me a 100% bar once or twice a year https://www.ritualchocolate.com/shop/on ... ed-percent. Not that I have much reference, but I much preferred it over any other chocolate.
bagle

Post by bagle »

One square of 85% a day.

Usually Valor and sometimes Lindt or Michel Cluizel. My favorite by far is Pierre Marcolini, but it's hard to find (especially since he was named world's best pastry chef).
grok87

Post by grok87 »

i like trader joes unsweetened completely cacao chips
https://www.fooducate.com/product/Trade ... 8B67E9A2C6
cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I will have 1 square of dark chocolate sometimes after dinner, last time I was at Costco I bought a bag of these: https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/cho ... 69956.html. I have found that after recently cutting down on sugar, I can no longer tolerate sweet desserts but 1 of those dark chocolate squares is satisfying after dinner.

Note the link is from Costco Canada, I couldn't find it on the US site even though I bought it from the Cleveland, OH warehouse a few months ago.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I like dark chocolate, but only in "indirect" forms, so I will eat dark chocolate ice-cream or dark chocolate cake, but I don't really like dark chocolate bars.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:14 pm Does anyone know of a top quality very dark chocolate (e.g. 85%?) that is packaged in small portions?

We try to eat "just one square", but it's soooo toooo easy to have "just one more square".

Something that is just solid dark chocolate, no soft filling like truffles. Those are too easy to eat fast...

RM
Done makes individually wrapped dark chocolate.

https://candycorner.com/dove-chocolate- ... L1EALw_wcB

something like this
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:22 pm

RM

something like this
I'm having trouble seeing what % chocolate these are.
Are they indeed higher % chocolate than the other brands that have already been mentioned here (e.g., approx 75% +/-) in individual wrappings?

Something in the 85+% is what we are looking for.
Many thanks.

RM
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:32 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:22 pm

RM

something like this
I'm having trouble seeing what % chocolate these are.
Are they indeed higher % chocolate than the other brands that have already been mentioned here (e.g., approx 75% +/-) in individual wrappings?

Something in the 85+% is what we are looking for.
Many thanks.

RM
There is this but it is only 82%:

https://www.dovechocolate.com/products/ ... o-promises

Dove is not my favorite, but it is very good.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

Many here are speaking of two squares of about 80% chocolate. My standard daily treat is two squares of Dove dark.

Imagine my joy at learning that Dove dark is only 53% chocolate.

Now I get to eat three a day.

Yippee!
Topic Author
Horton

Post by Horton »

I’ve recently become hooked on Godiva Sea Salt Dark Chocolate. Wow! It’s almost too tempting!
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I eat about half of one of the small Trader Joe's 72% bars per day. The small bars come in 3-packs.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
abyssdiver

Post by abyssdiver »

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover's...85% from Colombia. It also tastes somewhat like berries and one box has two bars for $2.00. Really good if you like it bitter. I have 2 to 4 squares/day but then the squares are small...so there. Good with a cafe cortado too :D :D :D
langleybc

Post by langleybc »

OMYx3 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:11 am If you are enjoying dark chocolate for the health benefits, you may want to look at the ingredients. If it says "processed with alkali," many of the nutrition benefits have been stripped away. You may be surprised how many dark chocolates are "processed with alkali." Just some food for thought.

We typically enjoy a square (or so) after lunch and dinner (always fun to see how it pairs with whatever wine we are drinking). But we also enjoy other desserts that are made from REAL food that are loaded with nutrition and satisfy our sweet cravings.
On Lindt's web site, only 85% excellence bars' cocoa powder was not processed with alkali. Just wondering why 70%,78%,90%,95%,99% and 100% were.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Love this thread. From what is now a former Lindt abuser, because of this thread, I am now hooked on Theo 85%, although the Hu Simple Dark 70% also was quite good.
Topic Author
Horton

Post by Horton »

abyssdiver wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:26 pm I can't believe that no one has mentioned Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover's...85% from Colombia. It also tastes somewhat like berries and one box has two bars for $2.00. Really good if you like it bitter. I have 2 to 4 squares/day but then the squares are small...so there. Good with a cafe cortado too :D :D :D
I just tried the Trader Joe’s 85% and really enjoyed it. It does have a fruity undertone, which helps mellow out the bitterness. Of all the 85% I’ve tried, this is one of the best. And, for $2!
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Lindt sea salt dark chocolate bar, but I stopped. Too addictive.

Belgian chocolate chips are nice. If the size is smaller it’s ok, right? 😅
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

stan1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:15 pm I don't "count calories", but would not want to add 200 calories per day to my diet. That would be over 10% of my daily caloric intake and I'd have to walk about an hour per day longer to make up for it. So the answer is zero except as an occasional treat.
This answer takes the cake ... but doesn't eat it. :oops:

Let me give an analogy:

How much does an alcoholic (aka alcohol addict) drink?
Zero, except as an occasional treat. ;-)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

an_asker wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:06 pm
stan1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:15 pm I don't "count calories", but would not want to add 200 calories per day to my diet. That would be over 10% of my daily caloric intake and I'd have to walk about an hour per day longer to make up for it. So the answer is zero except as an occasional treat.
This answer takes the cake ... but doesn't eat it. :oops:

Let me give an analogy:

How much does an alcoholic (aka alcohol addict) drink?
Zero, except as an occasional treat. ;-)
He only drinks socially…

He used to, that was before…
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Lindt 90%. 1 bar lasts about 10 days.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Likewise, Lindt 90%. I'll experiment with Lindt 85% or 95%, but 90% seems to be the best for me.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

4 squares of equal exchange a day, 100 cal, 1/2 oz. (roughly 1 bar / week)

Eat primarily Equal Exchange 92% (Togo), but enjoy their 88%, 88% Endangered Species, 88% Chocolove, 85% Lindt (not Alkali), and Montezuma 100% (Trader Joes in the US).

Divine 84% and Alter Eco 85% are OK. Don't like the finish on Madecasse.

Theo and Hu have long been on my list, maybe look again based on this thread. But I like EE. Buy in bulk in the winter and lasts all year at a fair price for well-sourced product.

I look for no emulsifiers (soy lechthin), no milk fats, no dutch processing, and low sugar. The Pure 7 line and Pacari also go up to 100%, but I haven't tried. At that level I highly recommend the Montezumas. I enjoy them, but have not enjoyed Lindt 99% and 100%.

Hopefully this doesn't get construed as healthy advice; I think it's merely factual and of potential interest: [medical statements removed by admin LadyGeek]
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Sorry, but associating the impact of various fats to certain organic molecules in your blood (with an implied health benefit) is medical advice (off-topic). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

If you like dark chocolate but have a milk allergy (like I do) - Raaka makes dairy free chocolate which IMO are really fantastic
Expensive perhaps, but completely enjoyable

https://www.raakachocolate.com/
Be Calm

Post by Be Calm »

Lately, I've been enjoying eating baker's chocolate chips (chunks). Specifically the Aldi chocolate chunks (~63% cacao I believe). I initially tried this because the Moser Roth bars were sold out one day, but have continued for several reasons:
-I find it easier to 'ration' a number of chips/chunks. Typically I dump out however many I want, then put the bag of chips away (limits my temptation).
-Easier to eat a smaller amount at a time, by-the-piece, prolonging the chocolate 'experience'. The pieces are shaped like little flat boxes, and I can stack them on top of one another if I'm bored.
-It is cheaper than the bars, pound-for-pound. (A small win in my view, but it's not significant enough to matter much.)
-The chocolate appears to be minimally processed (alkali, soy lethicin etc) which is my preference.
-It's always stocked at my local store location, whereas the bars are hit-and-miss in the last 1-2 years.
-Over time I've moved from the 85% and higher chocolate bars to lower, especially the 70%. The chunks being mid-60% range also hits the spot for me.
untouchablePORD

Post by untouchablePORD »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:48 am Likewise, Lindt 90%. I'll experiment with Lindt 85% or 95%, but 90% seems to be the best for me.
This is the correct answer. For whatever reason with Lindt, 85% is gross, 95% is too bitter, and 90% is just right.
“2.4 Worrying Selectively | Since all models are wrong the scientist must be alert to what is importantly wrong. It is inappropriate to be concerned about mice when there are tigers abroad." — Box
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Dark chocolate addicts: what do you eat?

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm guessing you won't like the Lindt 100% - I've tried that as well. It's not bad, but I think higher-end chocolate brands in this range would be better.

At the lower end,I think Chiardelli 86% has it right. I still prefer the Lindt 90%. Anything less than 85% seems too sweet for me.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:01 pm
anoop wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:30 pm
I fall prey to the "Okay, I'll just have one more piece and that's IT!" method.
Ha!
There is ALWAYS "one more piece", somewhere, somehow... if it's chocolate.
The best we can do is to get chocolate where each piece is pre-packaged. No little corner to bite off, and then take another nibble, and another.....

We just purchased one of those bags of the individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares. The truth will come out as soon as that bag gets opened.
:?:

RM
I'm not sure I posted back about what we found that is "just right" for us:

Ghirardelli "Intense Dark" 86% cacao

These have the additional advantage of coming in individually wrapped squares.

Yes, those may cost "more per unit weight", but... we find we can indeed "eat just one".
IF we have an opened bar or package of unwrapped separate pieces of chocolate, it is almost guaranteed that we'll each "just have one more...." and then rinse and repeat... :annoyed

That only happens with good chocolate.
We admit that we are powerless. :wink:

The trick is to keep such things packaged such that one can't just "grab just a bit more...."

But these little squares of the 86% Ghirardelli seems to have just the right taste... "not too bitter, not too sweet, but juuuust right". :D

RM
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I enjoy a wide variety of 85-95%, most commonly Lindt, Ghirardelli, or Trader Joe's, but I've had a bunch of others as well. A couple of times a month I'll have a hankering for it, usually when I'm having a glass of red wine in the evening, and will have between 1/4 and 1/3 of a bar.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

Several years ago my husband and I did a blind taste test of Lindt and Godiva dark chocolate. I preferred the flavors of Godiva and he preferred Lindt (which I found to be smoother and less complex in taste). However, we have started to buy our chocolate from a local chocolatier and we both prefer it. So delicious and satisfying that it is actually quite easy to avoid eating an excess amount (though I do make a point of eating it mindfully and savoring it). We each eat about 7g after dinner every night. It is considerably more expensive then buying Lindt or Godiva in bulk, but I find that that is one more way that I'm motivated to not scarf it down! I'd go broke (and stop buy it) if we plowed through the chocolate stash too quickly. I also appreciate that I'm supporting a local business, even if it does go against my frugal tendencies.

Anyway, if you have a local chocolatier, I'd highly recommend you check them out and see how their chocolate compares.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

untouchablePORD wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 pm This is the correct answer. For whatever reason with Lindt, 85% is gross, 95% is too bitter, and 90% is just right.
Whether it is the correct answer depends on whether having cocoa powder processed with alkali is part of the correct answer.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Check this months Consumers Reports. There is a page of chocolate bar tests.

Ralph
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

What do you recommend between 72 and 85? I like any 72%, like TJ’s three pack (in red packaging) which is the cheapest good chocolate I’ve found. But it has too much sugar to make me feel comfortable eating a lot of it. I tried Ghirardelli’s 86% intense dark and can do it, but it doesn’t satisfy me in the same way. Is there something in the middle? I haven’t seen a lot of 78-80 around. M

Relatedly, I discovered Lily’s 70% with stevia. I actually like it though it’s very different. Anyone else enjoy Lily’s or is that an abomination to pure dark chocolate lovers? It’s too expensive for me to eat regularly—the BG in me is conflicted.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I think the Lindt 78% is the sweet spot. I load up on it when I can.