Outdoor light fixtures - please help me choose

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PinotGris

Outdoor light fixtures - please help me choose

Post by PinotGris »

I have two separate problems.
As most homes do we a lamp post out in the yard and a wall fixture at the front porch.
We had timer - switch set up for the porch lamp. It worked fine with the old bubs for a long time turning on and off with the timer.
For the past few years the timer does not seem to work and we think it might have something to do with the energy saving bulbs we use - they dont work with a timer or something. Or the timer is kaput, I don't know.
Our yard lamp post has not been used for a long time and I want to replace that and the wall fixture.
I am seeing a lot of options and I am not sure how these work.
One yutube I saw, the new replacement was a LED Diode with an astronomical time clock built into it.
Another youtube used a photo cell control with a LED bulb.
I would like both these lamps to come on at dusk without me having to do anything and go off at dawn. Am I right in thinking I can achieve this with photo cell control?
I am not sure what the LED diode and astronomical clock thing is. The guy in the youtube said there are no bulbs to replace and they last a forever. From reading more I feel this may not be entirely true.
Have you replaced your outdoor fixtures lately? What kind did you get? Why did you choose the ones you did?
Thank you for any and all suggestions.
lthenderson

Re: Outdoor light fixtures - please help me choose

Post by lthenderson »

Hard to follow but where is your timer switch installed now? Inside the house where you turn on the lights manually or outside next to the light or someplace else?

If the light has a switch inside your house somewhere, they make switches with built in timers both mechanical and digital. The digital ones allow programming on a daily, weekly basis so once programmed you never have to touch again. I like these a lot better than solar cells or daylight monitors that require periodic cleaning and age fairly quickly and can vary with shade and weather conditions.

Assuming your lamp post isn't tied to the switch that controls the wall mount light, how is the end terminated? Does it run right to your breaker panel? Probably the easiest way to put a timer on that is to run it to an outlet and then buy a similar digital timer that plugs into a standard outlet, can be programmed just like the wall light. But I have seen timers that will mount against your regular breaker box in a permanent fashion and can be programmed as well.

Outdoor electronics never last as long due to humidity and temperature changes so I always put them inside the house when possible to get longer life from them.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

lthenderson wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 pm Hard to follow but where is your timer switch installed now? Inside the house where you turn on the lights manually or outside next to the light or someplace else?
Inside the house in the hall.
If the light has a switch inside your house somewhere, they make switches with built in timers both mechanical and digital. The digital ones allow programming on a daily, weekly basis so once programmed you never have to touch again. I like these a lot better than solar cells or daylight monitors that require periodic cleaning and age fairly quickly.
It is programmable and worked fine for many years until it didn't. It goes off program after a few days - turning on and off at odd times. It is probably broke, I dont know.
Assuming your lamp post isn't tied to the switch that controls the wall mount light, how is the end terminated? Does it run right to your breaker panel? Probably the easiest way to put a timer on that is to run it to an outlet and then buy a similar digital timer that plugs into a standard outlet, can be programmed just like the wall light. But I have seen timers that will mount against your regular breaker box in a permanent fashion and can be programmed as well.
The switch for the lamp post is inside, a separate switch and it does not have a timer. We have not used it now for a long time but I would like to have new one installed.
Maybe we can replace both the inside switches like what you say, with built in timers. What kind do you have, brand name, if you like them?
Outdoor electronics never last as long due to humidity and temperature changes so I always put them inside the house when possible to get longer life from them.
I think you are right. Some of these the bulbs may last long but if they blow out you have to replace the entire fixture. I also prefer simpler solution.
[/quote]
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

In order to fix the problem, I think you need to determine the problem. Maybe get an electrician will help you determine a fix. Or else replace the switch/timer.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

PinotGris wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:29 pm hat kind do you have, brand name, if you like them?
I haven't bought a programmable timer switch, only the old school mechanical ones but have good luck with Leviton products which does make a programmable timer switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VPT24-1P ... B003AIKQZ8
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

I had a similar problem when I bought my house two years ago. I discovered a fairly new product called a “dusk to dawn” light bulb, LED and they work perfectly in my old outdoor fixtures. They cost about eight bucks apiece and should last for many years, mine are still going strong at two years and I really like them. I got mine at Home Depot, just checked their website and they have them.

:beer
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

We had great luck with our Leviton timer/wall switches for our multiple outdoor lighting zones for 12 years. But ~2 years ago the timer began to not reliably turn the lights on/off (wall switches work fine). Both the lighting company and our electrician said it’s likely RFID interference IIRC and they’re not installing these timers any more.

The choices we were given were (in order of least costly to most costly):
1) a photocell (old technology, reliable, on/off at dusk, wall switches won’t work any more),
2) timer that is controlled by app via wifi (but wall switches for the lights would no longer work), or
3) commercial product which would allow us to work the lights by switch or app.

#1 and 2 are not ideal due to loss of wall switches. #3 is $5k. If I have to pick one, I’ll go with the cheaper photo cells.

Perhaps you are experiencing something similar.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Yes, dusk to dawn photocells work- buy quality
With smart home tech there are lots of choices for app based timers that I personally avoid in favor of simplicity and dark sky.

Do you have reason to want the lamp post on all night?

The reason I ask about the lamp post is that it could seem a bit rude in some settings to have a light like that on all night. If it was me, I might look at a photocell dusk to dawn downlight wall sconce for the light on your house near the entry. I would look at a photo/motion sensor for the lamp post to keep it off unless someone was nearby.

As for light switch, you can make it work with a light switch as well but the level of complexity would be based on the wiring in place vs. what is needed. You could also just have the lamp post on switch only control for the occasions when it is needed.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
whr19606

Post by whr19606 »

Amazon Basics 60 Watt Equivalent, Dusk to Dawn Sensor, Non-Dimmable - A19 LED Light Bulb, Daylight, 2-Pack, $10.99.

Regular bulb size. Just screw them into fixture. No extra devices needed. Very long life.

We use them in (4) exterior light fixtures and leave the switches always on. Automatically on at dusk and off at dawn. Also on during dark thunderstorms and off when storm passes. Love them.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Our neighborhood requires post lights be on from dusk to dawn. The sensors will burn out after 6 - 10 years and need to be replaced, you'll know this because the light will likely stay on all the time.

We switched to CFL bulbs that look like candelabra because LED bulbs look awful.

My pet peeve with outside lights is cleaning them. These lights that have 6 or 8 panels in them, and rubber washers on the top. You remove the crown, the washers fall off or disintegrate over time. You pull out a few panes of glass, and the rest try to fall out. And try doing this on a windy day!
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

whr19606 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:08 pm Amazon Basics 60 Watt Equivalent, Dusk to Dawn Sensor, Non-Dimmable - A19 LED Light Bulb, Daylight, 2-Pack, $10.99.

Regular bulb size. Just screw them into fixture. No extra devices needed. Very long life.

We use them in (4) exterior light fixtures and leave the switches always on. Automatically on at dusk and off at dawn. Also on during dark thunderstorms and off when storm passes. Love them.
This sounds like a good solution. How long do they last?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I have used dusk to dawn sockets in the past. Nice to not have to flip switches. Simple (and cheap) starting point.

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-59405WD-Ou ... 003Z4IDXE/

For outdoor lighting....be aware of having lights on all night that can affect the ecosystem.

https://www.darksky.org/light-pollution/wildlife/

In high crime areas this may not be an option, but for many, no real need to have them on all night. Or have motion lights.

Few neighbors have super bright LED outdoor lights, unsure why but they definitely turn night into day and makes everything feel very "city" where streetlights are on all night.
egrets

Post by egrets »

WhyNotUs wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:00 pm ...
With smart home tech there are lots of choices for app based timers that I personally avoid in favor of simplicity and dark sky.

Do you have reason to want the lamp post on all night?

The reason I ask about the lamp post is that it could seem a bit rude in some settings to have a light like that on all night...
I have an ancient timer in the garage that controls my post light. The light is on for 2-3 hours after sunset in case I come home late. No longer than that, as it is bad for wildlife and helps dark sky concerns.

I have two new neighbors who light their yards up all night like their houses were prisons. I fail to understand the reasoning involved.
egrets

Post by egrets »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:22 pm Our neighborhood requires post lights be on from dusk to dawn.
What is the reasoning for that?

(What happens if you don't have a post light, do you have to install one?)
jaqueisse

Post by jaqueisse »

Kasa light switches
https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Light ... B01EZV35QU

Connects to free app on cell phone can program to turn on at any time/shutoff anytime
Can program to turn on at dusk/dawn, and better yet, will self-adjust for the changing hours of the day (program turn on 1/2 hour after dusk and turn off 1/2 hr before dawn and will change the start/end time throughout seasons by itself)
Can turn on/off with cell phone, can also connect with alexa or shut so can turn on/off by voice command
Can then use whatever bulb you wish

Needs neutral wire so newer house but can easily DIY this without previous electrical experience, though should do homework and read up on this prior
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

egrets wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:38 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:22 pm Our neighborhood requires post lights be on from dusk to dawn.
What is the reasoning for that?

(What happens if you don't have a post light, do you have to install one?)
Post lights are required on all lots (once home is built, and 99% of lots have homes now). Mostly for security, there are no streetlights here, so without post lights the neighborhood would be very dark as houses are well back from the road.

There is one home that never installed a post light, and slackers on board never made them. Now, it's for sale. I emailed board to require post light before property changes hands.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a related inquiry regarding outdoor lighting. Does anyone have recommendations for a bi-directional (2 bulb) ceiling mount floodlight with a material or finish suitable for a marine / coastal environment. Virtually anything purchased from a big box home improvement store turns into a block of rust within a couple years. I'm not asking for materials recommendations, as I'm pretty clear on that, but rather sourcing recommendations. American-made would be preferable (even at increased expense), but probably a challenge to find, honestly. I considered Coast2Coast Lighting, who purport to have exactly what I'm looking for, but their third party online reviews appear atrocious and gave me pause just when I thought I was ready to pull the trigger.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:03 am Does anyone have recommendations for a bi-directional (2 bulb) ceiling mount floodlight with a material or finish suitable for a marine / coastal environment.
No experience with coastal lighting but with the assumption it needs to be copper to not react with the salt and your requirements listed above, I found the one below. The ceiling mount requirement really limits your options for outdoor lighting in copper or bronze.

https://www.urbanambiance.com/products/ ... tic-copper
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

lthenderson wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:49 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:03 am Does anyone have recommendations for a bi-directional (2 bulb) ceiling mount floodlight with a material or finish suitable for a marine / coastal environment.
No experience with coastal lighting but with the assumption it needs to be copper to not react with the salt and your requirements listed above, I found the one below. The ceiling mount requirement really limits your options for outdoor lighting in copper or bronze.

https://www.urbanambiance.com/products/ ... tic-copper
Thank you. Yes, choices appear limited. It's mounted the underside of the corner of a roof overhang. Certain wall flush mounts could probably work as long as the floods can be redirected. Materials like copper, brass, powder-coated aluminum, and stainless steel should all work, although prefer cast parts in solid metal rather than relying on a surface finish. Salt air and spray is really crazily corrosive. What you buy at Lowe's and Home Depot might as well be throwing money in the garbage in this environment.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

whr19606 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:08 pm Amazon Basics 60 Watt Equivalent, Dusk to Dawn Sensor, Non-Dimmable - A19 LED Light Bulb, Daylight, 2-Pack, $10.99.

Ordered them and sending them back. They were florescent and very very dim and depressing. I don't know if it is because of the switch control I have on the switch but it shouldn't have any effect on that.
whr19606

Post by whr19606 »

The Amazon Basic bulbs I was suggesting are LED bulbs. Definitely not fluorescent. They are quite bright. They are controlled with standard wall light switches.
Topic Author
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

whr19606 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:31 pm The Amazon Basic bulbs I was suggesting are LED bulbs. Definitely not fluorescent. They are quite bright. They are controlled with standard wall light switches.
Sorry they are LED bulbs, but I meant to say they LOOKED like florescent light - blueish and dull. It might have been something different than yours. Basic is the brand and other places carry them as well, like Walmart. I will keep looking.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:03 am Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a related inquiry regarding outdoor lighting. Does anyone have recommendations for a bi-directional (2 bulb) ceiling mount floodlight with a material or finish suitable for a marine / coastal environment. Virtually anything purchased from a big box home improvement store turns into a block of rust within a couple years. I'm not asking for materials recommendations, as I'm pretty clear on that, but rather sourcing recommendations. American-made would be preferable (even at increased expense), but probably a challenge to find, honestly. I considered Coast2Coast Lighting, who purport to have exactly what I'm looking for, but their third party online reviews appear atrocious and gave me pause just when I thought I was ready to pull the trigger.
Look at quoizel stonington. They’re plastic or something but a better version of what we’ve seen in the past. My electrical supply store matched a price I found online.