How to get out of a timeshare presentation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OnBoard

How to get out of a timeshare presentation?

Post by OnBoard »

We're heading to Mexico next week for a stay at a mega resort. Friends who recently went told us that while checking in, they lay on a very aggressive attempt to get you to attend a timeshare presentation in exchange for resort credits or excursions. This ploy significantly delays the check-in process.

Looking for advice on how to get out of a timeshare presentation and just enjoy my darn vacation!

Can I tell them that I've just declared bankruptcy or that I'm headed to prison soon? :wink:
ROIGuy

Re: How to get out of a timeshare presentation?

Post by ROIGuy »

Simply tell them you are not interested and do not let them "engage" you into a conversation.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Just say "no thank you", repeatedly. My wife and I in Jamaica decided we would put up with the time share pitch in return for a super-fancy breakfast. Big mistake. We had no intention of buying the time share. They lay the sales pitch on thick and are relentless. We finally had to basically get up and leave. In retrospect, I would never do this again no matter how nice the meal. It is painful...
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

If the hassle is not worth it why take their discounted lodging offer? In essence you are asking for it by taking the discounted stay. I try to stay away from such offers. You are already thinking about this more than how to plan and enjoy your vacation. It is like taking a promo offer from the cable company for 3 months and then you have to remember to call them to cancel. The only decent promo offers out there recently were the bonuses to park cash in savings accounts for a certain duration. That also can be a hassle and I think twice if I want to do it. :happy
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

In this setting, there are two answers to the question "Will you attend a timeshare presentation?" The answers are "yes" and "no".

To their ears, "maybe" is deferred form of "yes", and they'll pester you incessantly to move you from "maybe" to "yes".

If you say ANYTHING other than "No", repeatedly and firmly, I expect that your check-in process will be extended as they try to wear down your resistance to their pitch.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

steadyhand wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 am If the hassle is not worth it why take their discounted lodging offer? In essence you are asking for it by taking the discounted stay. I try to stay away from such offers. You are already thinking about this more than how to plan and enjoy your vacation. It is like taking a promo offer from the cable company for 3 months and then you have to remember to call them to cancel. The only decent promo offers out there recently were the bonuses to park cash in savings accounts for a certain duration. That also can be a hassle and I think twice if I want to do it. :happy
Where did OP say he accepted a discounted lodging offer?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

'Sorry, I don’t speak English'

The slow check in and baggage movement is something I dread with every trip to Sandals. I have learned to try and focus on the end state, pack more beach essentials in my backpack, and get through it.

Don’t let this drag you down! For sure, once you actually do get through, don’t spend the first day/night dwelling on it or thinking through how you are going to post here about it.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Have some split pea soup hidden where you can discretely ingest some, start dry heaving, and spew? Blame it on the Mexican water at the resort (in the last 30 years I have been sick enough to vomit twice - one of those times was a resort in Cancun and wife thinkks it was poorly washed strawberries). That will clear a room.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

OnBoard wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 am Looking for advice on how to get out of a timeshare presentation and just enjoy my darn vacation!
Assuming you haven't received anything (discounts, extra day, freebies, etc.) in exchange for agreeing to watch the presentation, just say "No".
Walk out if you need to.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

In your case, remember that "No" is a complete sentence. You are not obligated to offer any explanations as to why. In fact you don't want to offer "whys" as they are trained to overcome objections. If they ask you a second or third time, you may want to add: "No, please stop asking." They are relying on you being worn out from the travel and just give in. Know that ahead and time and have your script set in your head.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Say yes. Make an appointment. Check in. Don't bother going during appointment time.

DW and I used to go to time share presentations for really good prizes. During one presentation, at the end, they laid on the "If I can now show you how buying this timeshare, would you consider buying?". I answered "No". They were quite upset and came back with our prize certificates (restaurant credit, if I remember right). They then said "I'm trying to make a living. If you really won't consider buying, you should tell us up front".

Next year, we get the timeshare flier at the airport. It touts prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! It also pays taxi fare. We go. Remembering the last sales person's words, before we even get to the first building to get the hard sell, they ask "If we can show how you can save money on vacations, would you consider buying?". My answer: "No". They stopped in their tracks, said "stay here". Came back with $10 cab fare, all in coins and the prizes. Again the lecture "I'm trying to make a living. Why did you come if you're not interested?". "Well, the flier (I pull it out) talks about prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! Nothing about a stupid timeshare". We get a certificate for a very nice restaurant. We had Caribbean lobster.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
hudson

Post by hudson »

OnBoard,
Maybe this? https://ezexitnow.org/how-do-you-get-ou ... sentation/
Vote with your feet. :)
Let us know how it goes.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am Say yes. Make an appointment. Check in. Don't bother going during appointment time.

DW and I used to go to time share presentations for really good prizes. During one presentation, at the end, they laid on the "If I can now show you how buying this timeshare, would you consider buying?". I answered "No". They were quite upset and came back with our prize certificates (restaurant credit, if I remember right). They then said "I'm trying to make a living. If you really won't consider buying, you should tell us up front".

Next year, we get the timeshare flier at the airport. It touts prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! It also pays taxi fare. We go. Remembering the last sales person's words, before we even get to the first building to get the hard sell, they ask "If we can show how you can save money on vacations, would you consider buying?". My answer: "No". They stopped in their tracks, said "stay here". Came back with $10 cab fare, all in coins and the prizes. Again the lecture "I'm trying to make a living. Why did you come if you're not interested?". "Well, the flier (I pull it out) talks about prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! Nothing about a stupid timeshare". We get a certificate for a very nice restaurant. We had Caribbean lobster.
IMO, it's disingenuous to accept an offer like this that you have no intention of considering. As represented in your examples, these people earn a living by peddling these products to people. If you go into it with no intention of considering their offer, you're possibly taking someone else's spot, and you're wasting the time of the person. Try role reversal. Make pretend you're a car salesperson, or a drug salesperson, or any salesperson in a profession, and that your mortgage/rent payment and bills are dependent on you completing commission sales. You make your case, and the person blows you off and takes the incentive offered.

We attended one or two of these maybe 40 years ago. Have no intention of ever going again. IMO, timeshares are a sucker's "investment", and I have better things to do with my time then spending 90 minutes listening to a spiel of something that I'm not going to accept. Well various money-making schemes might be of interest to me in retirement, this isn't one of them.

To me, the OP's situation sounded like he was going on a trip where, when checking in, an offer is presented. In other words, it's not a discounted travel offer in return for timeshare presentation attendance, it's an offer presented at check in for other incentives. A simple, "no, thank you" should be enough to dissuade the person. If it isn't, I would simply walk away. I'd also seek out management and explain to them that they've started my vacation negatively, because a simple and polite "no thank you" should be enough. I'd also never knowingly go to such a resort if I know I'm going to be accosted with this at check in.

I've made sure that all the hotel loyalty programs I belong to know not to solicit me for timeshares.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

There is a resort in a US town I like to visit that is always at least 20% cheaper than the regular Holiday Inn/Marriott-type hotels nearby, but the catch is that they very aggressively push timeshares on you from the moment you check in. I stopped staying there because I'd rather pay more to stay elsewhere and not have to deal with it. The last straw was when my partner was checking in without me, I had run to the grocery store to get some items while they checked in. After hearing "no" multiple times to the general pitches, they asked my partner about where I was playing golf the next day, since my golf clubs were on the luggage cart. They talked my partner into a free round of golf for me if we both attended a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Once I found out about it, I called the sales desk to cancel and just paid for the round of golf myself without attending the presentation.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

It is bad hospitality to badger your guests with an annoying sales pitch, especially on arrival. If I knew a hotel treated their guests like that I would try not to stay there. Having to deal with pushy salespeople makes me uncomfortable. I go on vacation to relax.

So my personal answer to the OP would be to vote with your feet, and if possible, switch to a resort that treats its guests better.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

What's the dilemma? Just say no until they are done. You'll be sipping welcome drinks all the while.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am Say yes. Make an appointment. Check in. Don't bother going during appointment time.
I'm guessing most places won't just let that go. They will hound you relentlessly if you miss your appointment.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Tell them you are waiting on the results of your COVID test to understand this nasty cough. :twisted:
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

No.

Maybe "No, and I don't appreciate taking part of my vacation to continue this conversation."
We're wolves

Post by We're wolves »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 am

...If you go into it with no intention of considering their offer, you're possibly taking someone else's spot...
Stop...You really think they're saying "sorry, all filled up!" to someone who says "I'd really like to hear more about timeshares"
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

Yes, do plan your escape in advance. If "No" doesn't work, tell them you feel ill and need to get to your room ASAP. Practice some theatrics. Have a little fun with this.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Just keep saying "no thanks, we're not interested, please check us in promptly." Don't give them an inch. Don't make an appointment for a presentation, don't show any interest in resort credits or excursions.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Tue May 18, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

We're wolves wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:32 am

...If you go into it with no intention of considering their offer, you're possibly taking someone else's spot...
Stop...You really think they're saying "sorry, all filled up!" to someone who says "I'd really like to hear more about timeshares"
You're taking up a salesperson's time, who makes their living pushing timeshares, instead of letting them focus on another more-gullible person. It's not chairs in the room, it's salespeople per couple.

Maybe you are an insurance agent. I'm going to come to your office, and have you give me all sorts of quotes - homeowners, auto, boat, liability umbrella. Then, after all that work, I'm going to tell you that I have no interest in insurance.

You took hours of your time to prepare the quotes and meet with me, and you didn't meet with Bob because you were booked. Bob went with another agent, sorry.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Easy - don't go to destinations where you're subject to this sort of badgering. Why would you stay someplace where this is part of the experience? Stay elsewhere.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kgressler

Post by kgressler »

I am assuming this is a Secrets Resort or a Karisma? We've stayed at both and have been walked into the room after check in for our "free gift" Its not a huge deal. If you are not interested just be firm and let them know you have zero interest and will not be buying. Afterr about 5 minutes we were out of there. Out of the 5 times we've had to do this only one time did they ever contact us again during our stay and it was a phone call and a visit by the pool. Both time we politely said no and it was not a big deal.
I think the problem is where people are either afraid to say no or not firm enough in there response. If you say we arent really interested or we probably wouldn't be interested etc they will keep working you. They do not want to waste their time with someone who isnt interested in buying.
Tell them no, you have no money and your parents paid for you trip and watch them leave you alone real fast.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

tim1999 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 am There is a resort in a US town I like to visit that is always at least 20% cheaper than the regular Holiday Inn/Marriott-type hotels nearby, but the catch is that they very aggressively push timeshares on you from the moment you check in. I stopped staying there because I'd rather pay more to stay elsewhere and not have to deal with it. The last straw was when my partner was checking in without me, I had run to the grocery store to get some items while they checked in. After hearing "no" multiple times to the general pitches, they asked my partner about where I was playing golf the next day, since my golf clubs were on the luggage cart. They talked my partner into a free round of golf for me if we both attended a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Once I found out about it, I called the sales desk to cancel and just paid for the round of golf myself without attending the presentation.
Yeah, I thought I got a good deal on a place in Cave Creek AZ. Beautiful resort and I love their restaurant.

Unbeknownst to me I got the timeshare pitch. I said no and thought it was the end. They kept calling for months, maybe for a year with different numbers so I couldn't block it. :oops:

It's too bad because it is a beautiful resort and they really don't need to do the hard sell.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

OnBoard wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 am We're heading to Mexico next week for a stay at a mega resort. Friends who recently went told us that while checking in, they lay on a very aggressive attempt to get you to attend a timeshare presentation in exchange for resort credits or excursions. This ploy significantly delays the check-in process.

Looking for advice on how to get out of a timeshare presentation and just enjoy my darn vacation!

Can I tell them that I've just declared bankruptcy or that I'm headed to prison soon? :wink:
Can you just check in and say you will come back for to discuss, then never go back.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

If for some reason you ever choose to go to a timeshare NEVER ever ever ever go off property. Only attend if you're on the property you're staying at.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Look at it this way: this mega resort has a price point that works for you in part bcos they receive commissions on time share sales. If you don't want such a hassle, spend your money elsewhere.

I'd start finding a new place to vacation for the future and let management know why. (Of course, they won't care as they've already heard the complaints.)

btw: Americans have a huge problem with just saying "No thank you, not interested." And keep repeating those five words. No, excuse needed. Bcos once you give them excuse, they have captured you in a dialogue. As they've heard EVERY excuse before, they'll have a retort for each one. Again, just five simple words. Eventually, they'll tire with you and move onto the next Sucker.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Really you don't know??? Just say no to everything, sounds simple to me.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

OnBoard wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 am We're heading to Mexico next week for a stay at a mega resort. Friends who recently went told us that while checking in, they lay on a very aggressive attempt to get you to attend a timeshare presentation in exchange for resort credits or excursions. This ploy significantly delays the check-in process.
I'm assuming that you have no obligation to attend any spiel and are just trying to move along.
Respond that you are not interested and would like to enjoy the mega resort that you've arrived to visit. Repeat as necessary.
Of course you can, but that's a bad idea. Don't engage and you can get on your way instead of instigating further discussions that are between you and umbrellas. And if they are savvy or are familiar with laws up in los Estados Unidos, they would realize that your claimed new bankruptcy status means that new contracts are not subject to the claim and you cannot have bankruptcy protection again for a long time. A claimed prison status may lead to persuasive attempts to recruit you. :wink: (just kidding)!
Last edited by criticalmass on Tue May 18, 2021 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am Just keep saying "no thanks, we're not interested, please check us in promptly." Don't give them an inch. Don't make an appointment for a presentation, don't show any interest in resort credits or excursions.
Excatly, I've played the timeshare presentation a few times. If you want to play aggressive you put out your phone and start the timer with the alarm and say you're giving then xx amount of time per the rules, after that it's over. I did that, within a few minutes they just said ok, here's the gift (cheap trip to Hawaii, but turned out only 3 days, so never took it). The other thing is never let them hold you captive, meaning of they say they'll drive you somewhere, drive yourself.

I don't mind doing them but the wife says no way.

Tell them "No means no".
hnd

Post by hnd »

the "why didn't you just say so i'm just trying to make a living" is a sympathy ploy

They do not care that you don't think you are going to buy something. 1 out of 10 still will. you can tell them i'm just doing this for free tickets to some event and they will be like please have a seat.
Last edited by hnd on Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hnd

Post by hnd »

we hired a guy who worked in the timeshare presentation space in florida for about 25 years. he said he made decent money but its a grind and ultimately years of that grind got to him, he felt that time shares were no longer the deal they used to be and more and more felt he was scamming people. (he basically called timeshares the priceline of vacationing before the internet but now you can easily find a place to go without consulting a travel agent....he said before the internet the timeshare companies sent you catalogs. otherwise you really truly needed a travel agent)

he said that 99% of people go into them saying they are not truly interested. but in the end 1 out of 10 will buy. he said that has been consistent throughout his career.

my wife and I for a time used to do these pretty frequently. we gave no indication we were in the market, we always said we are in this for the free stuff. They see it as a challenge. After the lackey takes a shot at it, the ole pro (like the one we hired) takes a wack at it. and after tactics like looking at my wife and asking if she's prepared to stay married to me if i don't give her dream vacations, and then turning to me and questioning my manhood, they walk away and tell us to collect our tickets at the door. we loved it.

We are no longer in a place where that is a necessity and haven't had to deal with it for some time. but when we were early married and cheap we had fun.

discount resorts are the ones that are prone to allow this in their lobby.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

WhyNotUs wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:22 am Tell them you are waiting on the results of your COVID test to understand this nasty cough. :twisted:
There's an excuse for everything.

COVID cough? "We are so sorry to hear that! Let's do the presentation via zoom."

Bankrupt? "With our innovative financing team, we've managed to finance many folks who have been through the bankruptcy process."

Have a terminal illness? "What a wonderful legacy to leave to your heirs!"

Don't like the resort? "We have many beautiful properties in our network, and we are sure you will love many of them."

There's really no point in giving excuses why you can't buy. They've been trained to overcome them all. Heck, even for the flat "no", they will be trained to get you talking: "Ok, we don't have to talk about timeshares. How are the kids? Glad to hear Jimmy really likes playing T-ball. (30 minutes later after they've built rapport) By the way, our resorts offer some fabulous opportunities for kids who like sports like your son."
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I always wanted to do one of these just to see what it was like and I have no intention of course purchasing one. We got a very gentle offer to listen to a presentation when we were checking in. We were staying at the big resort in Kauai. It was on site, at the time it was either $100 or $15,000 Marriott points; we took the points.
Got some early morning sun had a nice early lunch relaxed for a little bit walked over to the building on site, We got some very good snacks and drinks, nice AC building we had fun shooting down all of their pitches; they literally could not overcome some of our reasons why we rejected their sale pitches.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Be as simple and firm as possible. If you have anxiety about feeling rude, you can start small and ramp up from there if they don't stop:

"No, thank you."
"We're not interested."
"We have no interest in a timeshare and would like to finish checking in."
"We will never go to a timeshare presentation no matter what you offer. You are wasting your time."

Direct is not rude, especially if you are being pressed repeatedly. This should not take more than 1 minute.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

GmanJeff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 am Easy - don't go to destinations where you're subject to this sort of badgering. Why would you stay someplace where this is part of the experience? Stay elsewhere.
Agree.

I don't understand people that sign up for this *shtuff*.

OP had, or now has, full knowledge of the T's and C's of the lodging implied contract and is now seeking how to ignore/violate those T's and C's.

I guess I am so violently opposed to this because I have a BIL who tried to rope us into this type of deal--he would get another week at the place he "owned" if we agreed to go there. It was "in La Jolla".

I looked at the map--"in La Jolla" turned out to be next to the train tracks in a sketchy part of town.

If you did the crime, you have to do the time.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

If they don't have enough sales people yes. They'll schedule them for another time. His point that it is disingenuous and rude to do that is quite true.
hnd

Post by hnd »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:06 pm

If they don't have enough sales people yes. They'll schedule them for another time. His point that it is disingenuous and rude to do that is quite true.
once again, they do not care that you are doing it just for the free stuff. they know already know that's the case. nobody is going to these thinking they are going to buy a timeshare.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

happyisland wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:32 am It is bad hospitality to badger your guests with an annoying sales pitch, especially on arrival. If I knew a hotel treated their guests like that I would try not to stay there. Having to deal with pushy salespeople makes me uncomfortable. I go on vacation to relax.
I agree.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:09 pm
wfrobinette wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:06 pm

once again, they do not care that you are doing it just for the free stuff. they know already know that's the case. nobody is going to these thinking they are going to buy a timeshare.
OK. You're right no one cares. And as I said before a lot of resorts, Hilton, Marriott and most of the all inclusive all have some form of vacation club that they try to sell. It's just not the discount places.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

phxjcc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:09 pm
GmanJeff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 am Easy - don't go to destinations where you're subject to this sort of badgering. Why would you stay someplace where this is part of the experience? Stay elsewhere.
Agree.

I don't understand people that sign up for this *shtuff*.

OP had, or now has, full knowledge of the T's and C's of the lodging implied contract and is now seeking how to ignore/violate those T's and C's.
What are you talking about here? Implied contract? T's and C's???

How does any of this relate to the OP checking into their accommodations?
What are you claiming that OP is attempting to "ignore" or "violate"?
Last edited by criticalmass on Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Many moons earlier sat for the time share in Las Vegas.
They had fancy bell ringing and limousine pickup drama going on.
The price was slashed for us at 20% less then 40% less then 60% less.
We hit out by saying I do not buy at an impulse abs do need to think through.

However it was a lesson for my kids not to sign up for timeshare; half a day gone fir a bus ride and some sandwich.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
hnd

Post by hnd »

LiveSimple wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:26 pm
However it was a lesson for my kids not to sign up for timeshare; half a day gone fir a bus ride and some sandwich.
early in our life, our time was pretty inexpensive to us. we assumed we had a ton of it to spare. that steak dinner and seaworld tickets were about $100 a person! 2 hrs of timeshare was worth it. i'm only 40 but now i'm like i don't have that kind of time!
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

We went to a one-on-one presentation with no intention of buying but we were able to get out early. When asked if we do the down payment of $X and monthly payments of $Y, we said we could do the monthly payments but not the down payment because we just bought a house, which was true. They said okay, and let us leave after about 15-20 minutes. Perhaps we just lucked out or perhaps Hilton Grand Vacations are more reasonable but if you tell them you don't have the money to pay for the timeshare, perhaps you can get out of it.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:09 pm once again, they do not care that you are doing it just for the free stuff. they know already know that's the case. nobody is going to these thinking they are going to buy a timeshare.
I think this is good advice worth highlighting. Some posters mentioned the idea of playing with them, snatching the free stuff then eventually bail.

This is dangerous. Not everyone can do this, some people end up buying a timeshare against their (original) will.

Don't give them an inch. Say no from the get go and keep saying no until they leave you alone.
hnd

Post by hnd »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm
hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:09 pm once again, they do not care that you are doing it just for the free stuff. they know already know that's the case. nobody is going to these thinking they are going to buy a timeshare.
I think this is good advice worth highlighting. Some posters mentioned the idea of playing with them, snatching the free stuff then eventually bail.

This is dangerous. Not everyone can do this, some people end up buying a timeshare against their (original) will.

Don't give them an inch. Say no from the get go and keep saying no until they leave you alone.
like i mentioned, the data tells them that one out of 10 will buy. and 90% of those buyers has 0 intention of buying when they stepped foot in the door. ask any person you know who actually owns a time share. not inherited one, but bought it themselves. they didn't intend to almost ever time.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:40 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm

like i mentioned, the data tells them that one out of 10 will buy. and 90% of those buyers has 0 intention of buying when they stepped foot in the door. ask any person you know who actually owns a time share. not inherited one, but bought it themselves. they didn't intend to almost ever time.
I need not go any further than my parents. They fell for it in front of my very eyes. I was against it but they didn't listen.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

If you agree to a "free deal" in exchange for the presentation, you're stuck. I made the mistake of going to one or two of those years ago when I was broke for some crappy deals and basically had to punch my way out the door.

If you they press you unsolicited, I think it's well within your rights to be very firm and say, "I'm in a hurry and absolutely not going to listen to this sales pitch. No." You can get to the point of rudeness. These people rely on your need to be liked and courteous, that's how they trap people.