Quicken Alternatives for iPads?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

Quicken Alternatives for iPads?

Post by texasdiver »

I'm thinking about transitioning from a laptop to an iPad as my primary mobile device.

One of the things that gives me pause is the inadequacy of Quicken on the iPad. Either I'm doing something wrong or it just doesn't really function well on the iPad. Syncs with my accounts doesn't work well for me and the overview screens do not utilize any of the power and features of the iPad. It feels like a small screen app written for an iPhone.

Has anyone found a better alternative to Quicken for personal finance on the iPad?

I basically want to track all my checking, credit card, and retirement accounts, have the ability to enter prospective future entries like upcoming mortgage and car payments that have not yet happened so I can project ahead account balances in the future. Track my IRAs and 401(k) accounts, and have decent overview screens to see everything in one place. I don't do budgeting or complicated tax tracking so I don't care about those features.

I've also tried Mint and found it lacking as well.

Any recommendations for other iPad apps to try?
Digital Dave

Re: Quicken Alternatives for iPads?

Post by Digital Dave »

I use spreadsheets with Google Sheets.
I use one sheet for my expenses (I don't budget, I just enter what I spend.)
Another is for income. Every taxable payment is recorded in various places, depending on type of income.
The last sheet shows each fund with the updated prices, shares, etc. There is a sub sheet for each taxable fund or etf.
All these sheets work on any computer or tablet that I own.
I'm not a super spreadsheet guy, but I've used spreadsheets since my Commodore 64 days. :)
I used Quicken for years, but mainly just for daily fund price updates. But I like my spreadsheets much better.
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.
Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Digital Dave wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm I use spreadsheets with Google Sheets.
I use one sheet for my expenses (I don't budget, I just enter what I spend.)
Another is for income. Every taxable payment is recorded in various places, depending on type of income.
The last sheet shows each fund with the updated prices, shares, etc. There is a sub sheet for each taxable fund or etf.
All these sheets work on any computer or tablet that I own.
I'm not a super spreadsheet guy, but I've used spreadsheets since my Commodore 64 days. :)
I used Quicken for years, but mainly just for daily fund price updates. But I like my spreadsheets much better.
I'm as competent at using spreadsheets as anyone (well...maybe not ANYONE)

But the reason I wouldn't go that route is that I want to be able to automatically download transactions from my credit card and checking accounts and do auto-reconciling. Doing everything by hand is too tedious and you will not probably notice if your account balance strays from what the bank thinks it is.
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

Banktivity is the Mac ecosystem alternative. I use it. Love it
onourway

Post by onourway »

YNAB will do the banking part fine. I track retirement accounts in a spreadsheet as updating those a few times a year is enough for me. YNAB will probably require you alter your methods a bit - I don’t enter future transactions to estimate balances because the YNAB method basically makes running low on cash a non-issue.